Stand-Up Comedy/Comics Discussion Thread

spunko12345

14 minutes ago, Dazey said:

She's really hot too. I have a thing for women with big old Jew noses for some reason. The bird out of Life in Pieces with the big hooter is also on my bucket list. :lol: 

Yeah she is. I see you are a man of refined tastes. :lol: Zoe Lister-Jones, maybe. She is fine.

I also like Peretti's oddness, which I guess might be informed by having a big honker. And her brain and wit are also gorgeous... and that fucking Jew nose, though. It's like a symbiotic vortex of sexy. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I have been watching this new show on NBC called "Bring the funny". It has many new up and coming comics and some of them are so funny. They are in the final shows now. Jeff Foxworthy is one of the judges. I love watching comedy stand up acts. Not too fond of the ones who tell dirty jokes or use alot of cursing, but comics like Jerry Seinfeld are amazing live!

I like dirty and clean. Theres lots of clean standup on tv here and I enjoy it. But I really love NYC Roast Masters Roast battles and those are brutal! 

Its really cheap though when stand-ups are raunchy or shocking as a crutch. To me whether its clean or dirty it should be about the craft of joke writing - its all the same craft no matter what gets talked about imho. 

Watched Chapelles Sticks and Stones. Its alright, I mean its great as he's awesome, but its almost starting to feel like 'paint by numbers' Chapelle. I loved the poor white addict jokes and the firearm jokes - for me these are classic Chapelle. 

Highlight has got to be

Spoiler

Why can I say N!gger and not F@g%ot ?? 

Because youre not gay.

Well, Im not a N!gger either.

:lol:

I thought Equanimity and the Bird Revelation was comfortably superior to this. And the trans jokes were better in those and his earlier Netflix special but didnt get as much response. I dont follow outrage news but am aware there is some people complaining. Which to me, Dave is always actually a ninja with the subtext, and that shines here. That subtext for me was "watch this; you can call poor white men 'trash', 'white trash' "meth heads" and mock them to socially exclude them. But you cant make jokes that are premised on the awkward process towards the social inclusion of trans people." (he doesnt use the slur, 'white trash' but evokes that stereotype in "heroin addicted whites" "meth" and "poor white" imho)

I only just noticed that his logo is the flag of the Republic of New Afrika, just inverted. Neat.

On 03/09/2019 at 11:21 PM, soon said:

Watched Chapelles Sticks and Stones. Its alright, I mean its great as he's awesome, but its almost starting to feel like 'paint by numbers' Chapelle. I loved the poor white addict jokes and the firearm jokes - for me these are classic Chapelle. 

Highlight has got to be

Reveal hidden contents

Why can I say N!gger and not F@g%ot ?? 

Because youre not gay.

Well, Im not a N!gger either.

:lol:

I thought Equanimity and the Bird Revelation was comfortably superior to this. And the trans jokes were better in those and his earlier Netflix special but didnt get as much response. I dont follow outrage news but am aware there is some people complaining. Which to me, Dave is always actually a ninja with the subtext, and that shines here. That subtext for me was "watch this; you can call poor white men 'trash', 'white trash' "meth heads" and mock them to socially exclude them. But you cant make jokes that are premised on the awkward process towards the social inclusion of trans people." (he doesnt use the slur, 'white trash' but evokes that stereotype in "heroin addicted whites" "meth" and "poor white" imho)

I only just noticed that his logo is the flag of the Republic of New Afrika, just inverted. Neat.

Always loved Daves comedy, especially 'killing them softly' I think KTS is him at his peak.

the new one is ok, he's seriously pushing the boundaries though on the MJ stuff.... but taken as it should be (jokes) it's pretty funny

• Like 1

11 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

Always loved Daves comedy, especially 'killing them softly' I think KTS is him at his peak.

the new one is ok, he's seriously pushing the boundaries though on the MJ stuff.... but taken as it should be (jokes) it's pretty funny

Right, that MJ bit... I actually forgot about that when I was posting my thoughts. Yikes! lol Yeah, a joke. And yeah, for sure pushing the boundaries. I thought some of it was courting controversy in a way that I hadnt noticed from Dave before. I could be wrong, I dunno. It was a bit flat compared to other recent specials imho and yet its receiving so much attention.

KTS is fantastic! I should re-watch that!

11 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

Hasn't he always been pretty raw like that though? 

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

New Bill Burr aired yesterday. Gonna download as soon as I can. 

This is one guy I need to get into, for one reason or another I haven't seen a single stand up of  his but I've seen a couple of interviews of his and this rant he did in Philly about Joe Frazier, well, part of it was about Joe Frazier anyway, he's a nutter, I need to check him out.

46 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Hasn't he always been pretty raw like that though? 

This is one guy I need to get into, for one reason or another I haven't seen a single stand up of  his but I've seen a couple of interviews of his and this rant he did in Philly about Joe Frazier, well, part of it was about Joe Frazier anyway, he's a nutter, I need to check him out.

Yeah he's always been pretty raw, but joking about child abuse is pretty rough.... but again... it's all jokes and not really his opinion... just to get the laughs. I laughed like one of them ' oh fuck man I can't believe he said that' ways lol.

kts is readily available on YouTube, the context is a bit dated depending on your age. But still funny as

https://youtu.be/ofnSojq-vqI

Edited by megaguns1982

I respect Burr as someone who calls out Trump and his supporters racism. I respect his support for Bernie. I like the idea of his working class appeal. And I respect his support for Kaepernick. And yet despite all that similarity, he doesnt really speak in 'my voice' like, I just dont feel at home in his world. I love Pete Holmes and he's in Burrs world, but thats about the only cross over. I mean no disrespect to any of his fans, but I find him a bit grating, second only to Illiza Schlesinger. :shrugs:

Hes funny and crafts good jokes, just not my thing.

26 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

Yeah he's always been pretty raw, but joking about child abuse is pretty rough.... but again... it's all jokes and not really his opinion... just to get the laughs. I laughed like one of them ' oh fuck man I can't believe he said that' ways lol.

kts is readily available on YouTube, the context is a bit dated depending on your age. But still funny as

https://youtu.be/ofnSojq-vqI

Chris Rock said a similar thing in Never Scared and it didn't cause half the furore.

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Definitely do that, he's one of the best contemporary comedians out there, and very audacious and outspoken. There are several stand ups available, plus check his visits on Conan, these two guys click! 

23 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

He did! I forgot about that!  It's probably because they Chapelle thing is on Netflix worldwide. As I said: I didn't find it offensive, just funny and at face value. 

Honestly I think people make too big a deal about this shit.  In the internet/social media era every second fuckin' yahoo has a voice and the time and inclination to voice their opinion, so say 500 or 600 people tweet about, the shit becomes a 'controversy', when if you think about it, based on range of distribution, probably the same amount of people were perturbed back in the pre-internet days about any number of stand ups, its just it didn't get blasted across the world online, it just became an offhand comment around the coffee machine at work that last 40 seconds and then no one cared.  But today the media pick up on this shit cuz its something to write about, the 'CONTROVERSIAL' Dave Chappelle stand up, that shit ain't controversial, its a raw joke and thats all it is and stand up is full of that shit.  People take the concept of offence way too seriously, people take offence at everything everyday, its a common as crisps, a man that stubs his toe on the paving is offended at uneven paving but he’ll get over it a coupla 100 yards down the road if he’s got a life.

Edited by Len Cnut

23 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Honestly I think people make too big a deal about this shit.  In the internet/social media era every second fuckin' yahoo has a voice and the time and inclination to voice their opinion, so say 500 or 600 people tweet about, the shit becomes a 'controversy', when if you think about it, based on range of distribution, probably the same amount of people were perturbed back in the pre-internet days about any number of stand ups, its just it didn't get blasted across the world online, it just became an offhand comment around the coffee machine at work that last 40 seconds and then no one cared.  But today the media pick up on this shit cuz its something to write about, the 'CONTROVERSIAL' Dave Chappelle stand up, that shit ain't controversial, its a raw joke and thats all it is and stand up is full of that shit.  People take the concept of offence way too seriously, people take offence at everything everyday, its a common as crisps, a man that stubs his toe on the paving is offended at uneven paving but he’ll get over it a coupla 100 yards down the road if he’s got a life.

Agree totally, people need to lighten the fuck up and laugh 

47 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

Agree totally, people need to lighten the fuck up and laugh 

I don't even think its a case of lightening up, they're as light as they ever were, I think its more a case of like...OK, so 4 or 10 or 500 people are offended.  OK, great...so what?  Its not really that big of a deal.  These used to be personal things that occured in a persons head y'know?  Like 'ooh, I didn't like that part of that joke'.  The problem is, now thats it is ALL voiced, things that are perhaps a little inconsequential and made out to be of greater consequence.  There's a lot of be said y'know, sometimes, for just shutting the fuck up.  Communication is a beautiful thing, don't get me wrong but I prefer dialogue as opposed to like, just blanket statements or improvised aphorisms.  And thats what I find a lot with social media, people don't really want to discuss, they just want to express. 

Yours, my, his, hers feelings are really not that important overall.  If we can sit and talk like this and I take something from what you say and you take something from what I say I think thats a lot more valuable than just 'i found that funny' or 'that offended me'.

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I don't even think its a case of lightening up, they're as light as they ever were, I think its more a case of like...OK, so 4 or 10 or 500 people are offended.  OK, great...so what?  Its not really that big of a deal.  These used to be personal things that occured in a persons head y'know?  Like 'ooh, I didn't like that part of that joke'.  The problem is, now thats it is ALL voiced, things that are perhaps a little inconsequential and made out to be of greater consequence.  There's a lot of be said y'know, sometimes, for just shutting the fuck up.  Communication is a beautiful thing, don't get me wrong but I prefer dialogue as opposed to like, just blanket statements or improvised aphorisms.  And thats what I find a lot with social media, people don't really want to discuss, they just want to express. 

Yours, my, his, hers feelings are really not that important overall.  If we can sit and talk like this and I take something from what you say and you take something from what I say I think thats a lot more valuable than just 'i found that funny' or 'that offended me'.

It’s to the point where the outrage about the (alleged) outrage is just as bad. All these alt lite click bait hustlers like Crowder are going on about Sticks and Stones 99% rating on rotten tomatoes as if it’s like “suck it liberals!” When of course liberals are also rating him on rotten tomatoes where he got 99%!! Plus Chapelle has always been “liberals” comedian to begin with. The 99% rating rather proves that Crowder and co have been completely wrong about the other half.

he’s literally outraged about other people’s non-existent outrage :lol:

16 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

If you haven't seen it yet, check out Steve Hughes' stand ups - this is exactly what he's been saying. 

Lilly Singhs never done YT content that is aimed at me, but she's clearly great at what she's set out to do on her channel. And then during the press for the launch of her new NBC late night show she mocked the notion that she now has to respect union workers and cant just tell everyone what to do at any minute - gross. So I wasn't prepared to cheer her on despite her being a home province hero and pin up. But imho the writing is actually pretty strong.

Its like that Seth Myers segment "Jokes Seth Cant Tell" except Lilly can tell them all.

I think that the trans joke mightve gotten less attention if it were funny. By Chappelle's standards, it was really cringey and not well thought out, the whole comparing it to an asian guy being stuck in a black body is like a drunk guy at a bar's go to tirade about trans people. I've heard that joke made many times in different ways

• 2 weeks later...