GN'R should make a movie

Hollywood will make the movie family friendly.. like Bohemian Rhapsody. I prefer a small production like Netflix. A movie about the making of Appeite For Destruction is absoluty okay. A movie is a movie. not a docu.

I will write a script and draw some scenes.

Nah it won't happen, not right now at least. There's also no point. GNR are already doing the numbers, they don't need a resurgence. If on a few years ticket sales are dropping then a film might be an option.

Also not the right time because there's a queen one, Elton John one and a Crüe one now... There's always a backlash when Hollywood keeps hammering people with the same type of film over and over again.... Unless it's marvel or star wars.

This shows pretty well why most of these films don't work (the actual music biopic analysis begins around 4.35). Despite of enjoying Bohemian Rhapsody quite a bit,  I'm well aware it was because of Rami Malek's performance and the music (especially the ending with Live Aid) Not much else. I can't imagine the story Guns n' Roses told with this kind of bland paint-by-numbers style. 

Edited by Fourteenbeers
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Fourteenbeers said:

This shows pretty well why most of these films don't work (the actual music biopic analysis begins around 4.35). Despite of enjoying Bohemian Rhapsody quite a bit,  I'm well aware it was because of Rami Malek's performance and the music (especially the ending with Live Aid) Not much else. I can't imagine the story Guns n' Roses told via this kind of bland paint-by-numbers style. 

Yeah this is what I’m talking about. A GnR biopic would be just as bland as all these other films are.

-starts with flash forward of washed-up Axl (probably when he got arrested in 1998)

-flashes back to early 80s

-band forms and does the hell tour

-zutaut (played by Pete Davidson since he’s already playing him in the Crüe film) finds them at a club and calls his boss from a pay phone to say “I just met the next Led Zeppelin”

-band makes AFD

-zutaut convinces David Geffen to force mtv to play WttJ video at 4am and it melts the phone lines

-Goldstein becomes manager, convinces band to kick out Adler, Izzy quits, additional musicians come in, UYI tour goes off the rails (riot and slash temporarily dying in the elevator and shit)

-recreations of 1992 VMAs and Mercury concert just for the sake of celeb cameos

-Goldstein convinces Axl to draft band name rights contract to force slash and duff to sign backstage 

-UYI tour ends, TSI flops in mist of grunge movement, rehearsals go nuts, Axl forces gilby out and Paul in, hijacks the SFTD sessions, slash and duff quit

-we circle back to where we started with the flash forward

-ending montage with cliche text to show that Goldstein was eventually fired and most of classic lineup eventually reunited (CD and VR ignored completely)

yup... just about every cliche you can think of!

Edited by rocknroll41

56 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah this is what I’m talking about. A GnR biopic would be just as bland as all these other films are.

-starts with flash forward of washed-up Axl (probably when he got arrested in 1998)

-zutaut (played by Pete Davidson since he’s already playing him in the Crüe film) finds them at a club and calls his boss from a pay phone to say “I just met the next Led Zeppelin”

-band makes AFD

-zutaut convinces David Geffen to force mtv to play WttJ video at 4am and it melts the phone lines

-Goldstein becomes manager, convinces band to kick out Adler, Izzy quits, additional musicians come in, UYI tour goes off the rails (riot and slash temporarily dying in the elevator and shit)

-Goldstein convinces Axl to draft band name rights contract to force slash and duff to sign backstage 

-UYI tour ends, TSI flops in mist of grunge movement, rehearsals go nuts, Axl forces gilby out and Paul in, hijacks the SFTD sessions, slash and duff quit

-ending montage with cliche text to show that Goldstein was eventually fired and most of classic lineup eventually reunited (CD and VR ignored completely)

All of that is true but can you expect these types of movies to be cinematic masterpieces?  

11 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

All of that is true but can you expect these types of movies to be cinematic masterpieces?  

I think they can work if you just focus on one snapshot of a person’s life or just make a fictional movie that focuses on personalities more so than events (like the Michael Fassbender version of Steve Jobs did).

the key is not to focus on the famous or cool events, but rather to focus on what moral you want to convey. What’s the “lesson to be learned” with a GnR/Axl movie? What’s the theme?

11 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I think they can work if you just focus on one snapshot of a person’s life or just make a fictional movie that focuses on personalities more so than events (like the Michael Fassbender version of Steve Jobs did).

the key is not to focus on the famous or cool events, but rather to focus on what moral you want to convey. What’s the “lesson to be learned” with a GnR/Axl movie? What’s the theme?

I understand but I don't think that people really want a morality tale from biopics.  They want the dirt, pun intended.😄 What was the lesson to be learned from The Buddy Holly Story?(which I think was really well done)  Don't charter a cheap bucket of bolts or you might suffer the same fate?

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

-band makes AFD

If they were to make a GN'R movie, it would need to focus entirely on the early years and it would have to be very gritty. Izzy was a heroin dealer for crying out loud. I would stop around summer 1988 and then just say they burned out. No need to go into the BS about a reunion or anything else. 

2 hours ago, GNRfan2008 said:

If they were to make a GN'R movie, it would need to focus entirely on the early years and it would have to be very gritty. Izzy was a heroin dealer for crying out loud. I would stop around summer 1988 and then just say they burned out. No need to go into the BS about a reunion or anything else. 

I wouldn’t mind this approach either, honestly. Focus on just the 80s, if they wanted to.

i still say the most interesting era for a movie is the ChiDem era, just cause of how bizarre it is, but I’m weird like that. I understand that the more appealing era for most (especially general audiences) is the 80s era.

42 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I wouldn’t mind this approach either, honestly. Focus on just the 80s, if they wanted to.

i still say the most interesting era for a movie is the ChiDem era, just cause of how bizarre it is, but I’m weird like that. I understand that the more appealing era for most (especially general audiences) is the 80s era.

One of my favorite live GN'R performances was an acoustic Don't Cry in 1986 where the crowd talks over them the entire time. The guys play their balls off and Axl sings his heart out, despite the fact the audience clearly does not give a shit. I am glad Canter was there to capture it because it gives an idea of just how "small time" they were back then. 5 years later the song was Top 10 on the pop charts. I want to see more details about that early time period of the band. All the gritty details of it. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

One of my favorite live GN'R performances was an acoustic Don't Cry in 1986 where the crowd talks over them the entire time. The guys play their balls off and Axl sings his heart out, despite the fact the audience clearly does not give a shit. I am glad Canter was there to capture it because it gives an idea of just how "small time" they were back then. 5 years later the song was Top 10 on the pop charts. I want to see more details about that early time period of the band. All the gritty details of it. 

Iirc, didn't the crowd kind of quiet down when Axl started hitting the high notes near the end?  

5 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Btw, I didn't know that it was Canter who shot that vid.

Canter shot all the early stuff. He's the only one who gave a shit about the band at the time, lol...hell, judging by their self-destructive behavior, it's entirely possible he cared more than the band itself cared. 

• Like 1

I think the GNR story would work best as a Ryan Murphy Feud type series. I bet he could do something fantastic with it.

You could also do a decent Bohemian Rhapsody or Straight Outta Compton but, and I hate saying this, both a mini series or film would only work if Axl (and maybe Slash) weren't alive. I don't think BR or SOC could have been made if either lead singer hadn't died - and of course this made the story more compelling in it's arc. Eating tacos, buying increasingly bigger hats and yelling at Trump on Twitter is only tragic in one sense of the word. :lol:

If the GNR story is ever realised on screen it deserves better than to be sanitised or end up as generic R&R debauchery because it was so much more nuanced and complex than that. I think it would end up as the film version of Slash's autobiography which was an interesting read but one sided and glossed over a fair bit.

Axl if you are reading this is why you need to put out your autobiography otherwise the hypothetical film made in 30 years time will be lifted straight from the autobiographies of the other two. :P

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, alfierose said:

I think the GNR story would work best as a Ryan Murphy Feud type series. I bet he could do something fantastic with it.

You could also do a decent Bohemian Rhapsody or Straight Outta Compton but, and I hate saying this, both a mini series or film would only work if Axl (and maybe Slash) weren't alive. I don't think BR or SOC could have been made if either lead singer hadn't died - and of course this made the story more compelling in it's arc. Eating tacos, buying increasingly bigger hats and yelling at Trump on Twitter is only tragic in one sense of the word. :lol:

If the GNR story is ever realised on screen it deserves better than to be sanitised or end up as generic R&R debauchery because it was so much more nuanced and complex than that. I think it would end up as the film version of Slash's autobiography which was an interesting read but one sided and glossed over a fair bit.

Axl if you are reading this is why you need to put out your autobiography otherwise the hypothetical film made in 30 years time will be lifted straight from the autobiographies of the other two. :P

This is a very extortion :axl92::D

On 2/20/2019 at 9:04 PM, WhazUp said:

I don't want a GNR biopic at all, that would have the potential to turn out badly IMO.  The thing with Queen and Elton is there was the glamour and spectacle of it all, where a Hollywood movie seems fitting for the type of people Freddie and Elton were/are.  With GNR it would feel tacky if done in that vein, and too try-hard and cheesy if they tried to do a gritty production with it

However a documentary with all members of GNR from the classic era talking about the history of the band, their downfall, a segment with Axl discussing Chinese, and up to present day events?  Yes please!   I would love a doc that would be similar to "Pearl Jam Twenty"

1000% agree on both points. A doc is the way to go rather than a cheesy movie.

• Like 3