DUFF MCKAGAN Says AXL ROSE Has Come Up With 'Some Magnificent Stuff' For New GUNS N' ROSES Album

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes, they did. Are you arguing that they don't deserve the same return from the touring as Axl? First off, do we know they do get the same as Axl? Secondly, even if they quit after the release of TSI?! they were still part of the band longer than Izzy and would likely argue they did more for the band's branding and the popularity it enjoys today, and hence deserve more than they were willing to give to Izzy.

First of all I wasn't arguing.. Second I didn't reference a thing about Axl.. 

As far as Duff and Slash I will play along... They toured in the band for a little over a year than Izzy did. This was after the bands legacy was already stamped..

Seriously though. What exactly did Slash and Duff do over the years for the bands branding and popularity?  Release the wildly successful Welcome To The Videos and Live Era? lol I am pretty sure the band wouldn't have been forgotten about without those.  That has to be one of the most overstated arguments around here...

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Not that I care much about GN'R rumors but they did also say how much Slash and Duff got, for comparison?

We only know the gigs were bringing in north of $3 million per show. Take out expenses for the stage crew, salaries for the other band members, etc...I would guess Axl/Slash/Duff still brought in over $1 million per show for themselves combined. 

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

First of all I wasn't arguing.. Second I didn't reference a thing about Axl.. 

As far as Duff and Slash I will play along... They toured in the band for a little over a year than Izzy did. This was after the bands legacy was already stamped..

Seriously though. What exactly did Slash and Duff do over the years for the bands branding and popularity?  Release the wildly successful Welcome To The Videos and Live Era? lol I am pretty sure the band wouldn't have been forgotten about without those.  That has to be one of the most overstated arguments around here...

Again, what Izzy was offered was probably a reflection of his total contribution to building the brand, in addition to already having been paid out.

2 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

We only know the gigs were bringing in north of $3 million per show. Take out expenses for the stage crew, salaries for the other band members, etc...I would guess Axl/Slash/Duff still brought in over $1 million per show for themselves combined. 

If the shows brought in somewhat more than $3 millions then surely Axl/Duff and lash didn't receive about $1 million each? That profit margin would be just ridiculous. Anyway, this is just speculation on top of an unverified rumor. 

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

If the shows brought in somewhat more than $3 millions then surely Axl/Duff and lash didn't receive about $1 million each? That profit margin would be just ridiculous. Anyway, this is just speculation on top of an unverified rumor. 

I said $1 million per show COMBINED, so averaging about $330k each per show. 

1 minute ago, Trin9498 said:

Would you rather a new album with existing line-up or continued touring with at least Izzy in the fold?

New album, hands down. The live shows are not that good these days because of Axl's decline with age, not to mention the excessive production elements on the big stage. Crowds today also suck with everyone burying their heads in the smartphone instead of enjoying the shows. 

If we are talking live material, I want a Blu-ray release of the club shows back in the early days of the band. That was when they were at their very best and there's no bullshit video screens or whatever to distract from the band's performance. Just raw, kickass rock and roll from a band that was scratching and clawing their way up the mountain at the time. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

BTW.. With all this Izzy talk I want to state that I understand it didn't work out with Izzy.. It sucks but it is what it is.  I just not a fan of Fortus and it would be easier to accept Izzy's absence if there was someone that fit the band better. 

Just curious. Why don’t you think Richard fits the band? 

56 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

I would bet Duff & Slash do not get the same amount as Axl. But the offer to Izzy was a complete joke. He asked for an equal share, but I'm guessing he would have settled for something smaller if it was still a really good number. 

Izzy was never going to get an equal share because he sold his rights to the band years ago. 

48 minutes ago, Trin9498 said:

Would you rather a new album with existing line-up or continued touring with at least Izzy in the fold?

Of course Izzy.  Eventually, one thing works to the other.   Do you think the new album is more likely with or without Iz in the fold?

Also, with Iz/Gilb in the fold there is NO chance Frank remains there, so wave off Fortus.  Pretty much don't care if its Gilb/Iz, Matt/Steve, just want that sound back and the chemistry that band had, compared to what we have today, which IMO, best concert last 3 years was not 30% of the worst we had back during UYI era.  Axl voice alone...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, default_ said:

Lol nobody wants Izzy playing that. Not because he cant, but because he doesnt fuckin need it. 

And also because he probably can’t... But that’s fine, as I already said, he wrote some of GNR’s most iconic songs. I’m just merely highlighting Richard’s technical prowess in a live setting compared to Izzy.

2 hours ago, Trin9498 said:

For me it would be touring with Izzy in the fold.. Music with Frank, Melissa and Fortus doesn't excite me too much.. I bet Izzy and Slash would be writing like crazy on tour.. It would be worth the wait for possible new music written by them.. Plus Izzy knows the importance the right drummer has to Gn'R.. Maybe he could talk some sense into the guys..

2 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Just curious. Why don’t you think Richard fits the band? 

It has been discussed a lot.. I think he is fine on some songs and others not so much.. He seems to get too cute sometimes and detracts from some songs.. I hate what he does with Used To Love, Don't Cry and Rocket Queen for example.. His solo in Rocket Queen sounds so out of place and who wants to hear a whammy bar in Don't Cry? While some praise his style I just think he sounds like a shredding session guitarist. Fine for some bands but not Gn'R.. He plays too loud sometimes... I also think Guns N' Roses is best with one lead guitarist... Axl's voice is one thing but I just think the band itself is the weakest of any lineup Slash was involved with.. I can only attribute that to the hired guns... At this pint in their careers the band should sound as tight as it ever did and they just don't. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shotsfired cro said:

Of course Izzy.  Eventually, one thing works to the other.   Do you think the new album is more likely with or without Iz in the fold?

Also, with Iz/Gilb in the fold there is NO chance Frank remains there, so wave off Fortus.  Pretty much don't care if its Gilb/Iz, Matt/Steve, just want that sound back and the chemistry that band had, compared to what we have today, which IMO, best concert last 3 years was not 30% of the worst we had back during UYI era.  Axl voice alone...

I disagree with the quality of the concert point.  I went to some of the UYI shows and one in particular was actually kinda boring.  It was in Minneapolis during the double headlining tour with Metallica.  There were so many breaks and instrumentals that the band had a very difficult time keeping any momentum going and the energy of the crowd could never get going as a result.  Both NITL shows I went to (Nashville '16 and St. Louis '17) had more energy than the Minneapolis UYI show.  My opinion. 

2 hours ago, Radiv123 said:

Because he only like Izzy, no one else fit the band. He is an Appetite GnR fan ;) At least thats what i have come to conclution after reading lots of post here last 2 years.

I already stated in this thread that I accept the fact that it didn't work out with Izzy.. the HOF lineup with Steven and Gilby sounded better than this lineup... 

You are correct that I am an Appetite fan... I am also a LIES fan..  a UYI I fan..  a UYI II fan..  a Live Era fan....  a TSI fan.... ;)

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • GNFNR 2

2 minutes ago, TheHelgo said:

I disagree with the quality of the concert point.  I went to some of the UYI shows and one in particular was actually kinda boring.  It was in Minneapolis during the double headlining tour with Metallica.  There were so many breaks and instrumentals that the band had a very difficult time keeping any momentum going and the energy of the crowd could never get going as a result.  Both NITL shows I went to (Nashville '16 and St. Louis '17) had more energy than the Minneapolis UYI show.  My opinion. 

I think a lot of that can be attributed to the fact that they were touring with Metallica.. That was the common theme that tour.. It is hard to follow up a 3 hour blistering Metallica set with a set like GnR's that included ballads. Not too mention not everyone there were Gn'R fans.. Sure the bands shared a lot of common fans (like me) but many people were weary of Axl's antics at that point.  I know that was the case at the show I saw that tour.  Faith No More played.. Then Metallica kicked total ass for 3 hours.. Then we waited THREE HOURS for Axl to show up.. By then everyone was drunk and tired causing people to sit down and even leave.  Just not great circumstances at all.. 

The other UYI shows I saw when Gn'R were the true headliners there was none of that.. People were  out of there minds from the first song to the last. That was even with them coming on REALLY late one show and Axl threatening to go home and leaving the stage for over a half hour the other show. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

It has been discussed a lot.. I think he is fine on some songs and others not so much.. He seems to get too cute sometimes and detracts from some songs.. I hate what he does with Used To Love, Don't Cry and Rocket Queen for example.. His solo in Rocket Queen sounds so out of place and who wants to hear a whammy bar in Don't Cry? While some praise his style I just think he sounds like a shredding session guitarist. Fine for some bands but not Gn'R.. He plays too loud sometimes... I also think Guns N' Roses is best with one lead guitarist... Axl's voice is one thing but I just think the band itself is the weakest of any lineup Slash was involved with.. I can only attribute that to the hired guns... At this pint in their careers the band should sound as tight as it ever did and they just don't. 

Fair assessment. I for one take Richard over Frank any day of the week. Could be worse, we could still have Pitman....

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ludurigan said:

hopefully you are right but if I had to bet i would bet that izzy recorded his guitar for ghost and left pretty fast in the slash solo album sessions

maybe they jammed a bit but there is not many indication of that, is there?

maybe slash wasn't even there on the day izzy recorded his parts for ghost

is there any photo of them in studio together?

i don't remember

good news though is that slash and izzy have done countless other sessions over the years

and according to slash they (izzy, slash, duff, matt) have recorded "the best instrumental GNR album" in one of these sessions

I totally forgot about those VR sessions with Izzy. Hopefully slash hasn’t already cherry picked the best of it for his solo stuff and saved some of them.

part of me thinks that slash/duff probably have riffs and ideas already put aside with a GNR label on them.

the big question is, does axl want to work on new stuff or just tinker with the CD era stuff. Personally I don’t care either way but a few fresh songs would be cool.  I guess we’ll find out when an album drops and we get to see who is credited for each song. If I see one or a few credited axl/slash/duff/Izzy I’ll have a heart attack lol

on the sidenote...Ax must be under some serious medication.   back in the day he would leave the stage for someone taking pics or recording bootleg from the crowd, but he now doesn't leave for Frank's playing, WTF!?

I seriously mean, WTF!?  Gotta be medication or deafness.  Did he hear how Frank plays Don't cry on pro shot or sdb like Rio 2017?

Dizzy would do a better job.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

on the sidenote...Ax must be under some serious medication.   back in the day he would leave the stage for someone taking pics or recording bootleg from the crowd, but he now doesn't leave for Frank's playing, WTF!?

I seriously mean, WTF!?  Gotta be medication or deafness.  Did he hear how Frank plays Don't cry on pro shot or sdb like Rio 2017?

Dizzy would do a better job.

Fair go mate - Dizzy's too busy on the bongo's!

2 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Fair assessment. I for one take Richard over Frank any day of the week. Could be worse, we could still have Pitman....

Yeah, if I had the luxury to vote one of those two off the island it would be Frank... As far as Pittman goes I consider Melissa equally irrelevant and annoying.. I just wish they would eliminate that position. 

• Like 1