Jump to content
Gibbo

DUFF MCKAGAN Says AXL ROSE Has Come Up With 'Some Magnificent Stuff' For New GUNS N' ROSES Album

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, ludurigan said:

if izzy had "sold his share" after, let's say, the gig at music machine in 1986, or even the marquee in 1987, then maybe you would have a point

izzy left in 1991 when GNR was at the top of the world, and after years of hard work with the four other guys that resulted in taking GNR from the gutter to the very top of rock n roll.

his last gig was at wembley fucking stadium

 

Yeah, he thought 1991 was a good time to cash out. And it probably was. But then he found out how much he could make in 2016 if he were still and equal partner and expected the others to pretend that he still was.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ludurigan said:

 

- Izzy took the risk like all the other four guys. He gave four to five years of his life to take GNR from the gutter to the very top -- just like the four other guys. Everyone that joined after Izzy left didn't take any risk. The game was won. And it still is, to this day. Thanks to the music that GNR wrote 1985-1990, which is what people pay to listen to -- to this day.

 

 

4-5 years? I would say he gave more like a decade of his life to help push GN'R to the top. All of those guys were scratching and clawing in the early 80's, trying to figure out a band that had the right chemistry and talent to be successful. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if this was mentioned already but I remember reading that Izzy had sold his share but still received a cut of everything the band earned until 1997. Since then he's only been entitled to royalties. That was my impression.

Edited by Sisyphus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

OK fair but maybe I should clarify. More to a live setting in terms of versatility - i.e. can play all of the GN'R catalogue. As great as Izzy is, can you imagine him playing Buckethead's Chinese Democracy solo?

Probably not but to be fair, I don't give a rats ass about the Chinese Democracy solo or anything else from that album ;)  Plus they already have one of the best lead guitarists of all time in the band! Slash might not play it like Buckethead but he could do good do a good enough to get them onto the next song which is what the vast majority only care about anyway.. Just how I see it.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Of course it doesn't make sense to invite Izzy back into the band as an equal partner with equal compensation. He quit the band and they had to shoulder it without him.

Didn't Slash and Duff quit the band to? They may have hung around for another couple years but they were all out of GnR for over 20 years...

1 hour ago, Modano09 said:

 But then he found out how much he could make in 2016

 

umm isn't that exactly what Slash did?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Didn't Slash and Duff quit the band to? They may have hung around for another couple years but they were all out of GnR for over 20 years...

umm isn't that exactly what Slash did?

No.

Izzy wanted out, he was paid in exchange for his share and left Axl/Slash/Duff as the partners of GNR. When Slash and Duff left the band, they maintained their share of the partnership. I'm not sure about the specifics but they didn't just sell their stake in the band back to Axl. That's why Axl couldn't use certain GNR logos, or release certain things with Slash/Duff's approval, or why they all had to agree to a GNR song being used on a soundtrack, or why they were suing each other or representing GNR when GNR was sued. 

Slash maintained an ownership stake and took part in managing aspects of the brand and decided to cash in on that. Izzy sold his ownership 25 years earlier and had nothing to do with anything since and wanted to also cash in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW.. With all this Izzy talk I want to state that I understand it didn't work out with Izzy.. It sucks but it is what it is.  I just not a fan of Fortus and it would be easier to accept Izzy's absence if there was someone that fit the band better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

BTW.. With all this Izzy talk I want to state that I understand it didn't work out with Izzy.. It sucks but it is what it is.  I just not a fan of Fortus and it would be easier to accept Izzy's absence if there was someone that fit the band better. 

But everyone in the band thinks he fits the band well enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

But everyone in the band thinks he fits the band well enough.

$$$$ buys happiness.. Franks presence proves that the quality of the music isn't their top priority. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

$$$$ buys happiness.. Franks presence proves that the quality of the music isn't their top priority. 

I don't think it's fair to say people don't feel how they say they feel because you'd prefer they didn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Didn't Slash and Duff quit the band to? They may have hung around for another couple years but they were all out of GnR for over 20 years...

Yes, they did. Are you arguing that they don't deserve the same return from the touring as Axl? First off, do we know they do get the same as Axl? Secondly, even if they quit after the release of TSI?! they were still part of the band longer than Izzy and would likely argue they did more for the band's branding and the popularity it enjoys today, and hence deserve more than they were willing to give to Izzy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

First off, do we know Slash/Duff get the same as Axl? 

 

I would bet Duff & Slash do not get the same amount as Axl. But the offer to Izzy was a complete joke. He asked for an equal share, but I'm guessing he would have settled for something smaller if it was still a really good number. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GNRfan2008 said:

 

I would bet Duff & Slash do not get the same amount as Axl. But the offer to Izzy was a complete joke. 

Oh? I haven't heard what they offered him. What was it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GNRfan2008 said:

Rumor was around $40,000 per show. 

Not that I care much about GN'R rumors but they did also say how much Slash and Duff got, for comparison?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes, they did. Are you arguing that they don't deserve the same return from the touring as Axl? First off, do we know they do get the same as Axl? Secondly, even if they quit after the release of TSI?! they were still part of the band longer than Izzy and would likely argue they did more for the band's branding and the popularity it enjoys today, and hence deserve more than they were willing to give to Izzy.

First of all I wasn't arguing.. Second I didn't reference a thing about Axl.. 

As far as Duff and Slash I will play along... They toured in the band for a little over a year than Izzy did. This was after the bands legacy was already stamped..

Seriously though. What exactly did Slash and Duff do over the years for the bands branding and popularity?  Release the wildly successful Welcome To The Videos and Live Era? lol I am pretty sure the band wouldn't have been forgotten about without those.  That has to be one of the most overstated arguments around here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SoulMonster said:

Not that I care much about GN'R rumors but they did also say how much Slash and Duff got, for comparison?

 

We only know the gigs were bringing in north of $3 million per show. Take out expenses for the stage crew, salaries for the other band members, etc...I would guess Axl/Slash/Duff still brought in over $1 million per show for themselves combined. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

First of all I wasn't arguing.. Second I didn't reference a thing about Axl.. 

As far as Duff and Slash I will play along... They toured in the band for a little over a year than Izzy did. This was after the bands legacy was already stamped..

Seriously though. What exactly did Slash and Duff do over the years for the bands branding and popularity?  Release the wildly successful Welcome To The Videos and Live Era? lol I am pretty sure the band wouldn't have been forgotten about without those.  That has to be one of the most overstated arguments around here...

Again, what Izzy was offered was probably a reflection of his total contribution to building the brand, in addition to already having been paid out.

2 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

We only know the gigs were bringing in north of $3 million per show. Take out expenses for the stage crew, salaries for the other band members, etc...I would guess Axl/Slash/Duff still brought in over $1 million per show for themselves combined. 

If the shows brought in somewhat more than $3 millions then surely Axl/Duff and lash didn't receive about $1 million each? That profit margin would be just ridiculous. Anyway, this is just speculation on top of an unverified rumor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

If the shows brought in somewhat more than $3 millions then surely Axl/Duff and lash didn't receive about $1 million each? That profit margin would be just ridiculous. Anyway, this is just speculation on top of an unverified rumor. 

 

I said $1 million per show COMBINED, so averaging about $330k each per show. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GNRfan2008 said:

I said $1 million per show COMBINED, so averaging about $330k each per show. 

Ah sorry. That makes more sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would you rather a new album with existing line-up or continued touring with at least Izzy in the fold?

Edited by Trin9498

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Trin9498 said:

Would you rather a new album with existing line-up or continued touring with at least Izzy in the fold?

New album. I am not into nostalgia.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Trin9498 said:

Would you rather a new album with existing line-up or continued touring with at least Izzy in the fold?

 

New album, hands down. The live shows are not that good these days because of Axl's decline with age, not to mention the excessive production elements on the big stage. Crowds today also suck with everyone burying their heads in the smartphone instead of enjoying the shows. 

If we are talking live material, I want a Blu-ray release of the club shows back in the early days of the band. That was when they were at their very best and there's no bullshit video screens or whatever to distract from the band's performance. Just raw, kickass rock and roll from a band that was scratching and clawing their way up the mountain at the time. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

BTW.. With all this Izzy talk I want to state that I understand it didn't work out with Izzy.. It sucks but it is what it is.  I just not a fan of Fortus and it would be easier to accept Izzy's absence if there was someone that fit the band better. 

Just curious. Why don’t you think Richard fits the band? 

56 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

 

I would bet Duff & Slash do not get the same amount as Axl. But the offer to Izzy was a complete joke. He asked for an equal share, but I'm guessing he would have settled for something smaller if it was still a really good number. 

Izzy was never going to get an equal share because he sold his rights to the band years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

Just curious. Why don’t you think Richard fits the band? 

Because he only like Izzy, no one else fit the band. He is an Appetite GnR fan ;) At least thats what i have come to conclution after reading lots of post here last 2 years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×