DUFF MCKAGAN Says AXL ROSE Has Come Up With 'Some Magnificent Stuff' For New GUNS N' ROSES Album

2 hours ago, Twinaleblood said:

From Chinese Whispers:

"I am [in GNR] & everything is going to be cool as far as that is concerned. [...] Guns is doing a record so of course Matt & I will be in the studio for at least 3-4 weeks in February. [...] We have song titles, but no album title. I don't want to let the cat out of the bag. [...] We progress naturally. As far as the rumor that one person wants us to change, that's just not true." (Duff chat, 12/17/96)

"[The 1996 tracks are] not something I would want to approach (without Slash), because, at the time, there was only one person that I knew who could do certain riffs that way. [...] That's the reason why that material got scrapped." (Axl, press release, 08/14/02)

How about dusting off some of these along with CD-era "leftovers"?

Id be really excited to hear those 96 sessions. Hopefully those ideas havent just trickled out over the years, like how Fall To Pieces' guitar licks was said to have germinated in those sessions and was then used in VR. Or Izzy was there for at least part of those sessions and has released a lot of music since then, some of which may have been included in those sessions.

Ive been thinking that classic sounding stuff form 96 might be difficult to mix and master to sound like a cohesive album along with CD stuff, because the sonics are so different. But I guess they could change the sonics of both recordings to find some organic common ground between them?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

Maybe axl has written with them and it’s just in the vault?

i don't think axl has done any writing sessions with izzy, slash or duff since the nineties

all account indicate that izzy, slash and duff have done writing sessions on their own (or separately) and have sent tapes/files to axl and axl never did anything with them

hopefully i am wrong and hopefully axl is sitting with izzy playing acoustics and writing songs right now and slash can join later

15 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

They are all very talented musicians

talented on/for what?

writing songs? can you present any evidence that any of these people has ever written a good song that doesn't sound generic as fuck?

playing? can you show me one GN'R song in which the playing of these people actually did justice to the song instead of making it worse?

8 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

i don't think axl has done any writing sessions with izzy, slash or duff since the nineties

all account indicate that izzy, slash and duff have done writing sessions on their own (or separately) and have sent tapes/files to axl and axl never did anything with them

hopefully i am wrong and hopefully axl is sitting with izzy playing acoustics and writing songs right now and slash can join later

He's most likely at Taco Bell 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

talented on/for what?

writing songs? can you present any evidence that any of these people has ever written a good song that doesn't sound generic as fuck?

playing? can you show me one GN'R song in which the playing of these people actually did justice to the song instead of making it worse?

No. I can’t

On 26/02/2019 at 2:15 PM, SoulMonster said:

Yes, they did. Are you arguing that they don't deserve the same return from the touring as Axl? First off, do we know they do get the same as Axl? Secondly, even if they quit after the release of TSI?! they were still part of the band longer than Izzy and would likely argue they did more for the band's branding and the popularity it enjoys today, and hence deserve more than they were willing to give to Izzy.

if "doing more for the band's branding" was actually a factor then one can argue that axl should tour for free and pay back their former bandmates a lot of money for "brand damages" because no one -- not even steven adler -- "damaged" the "brand" more than axl rose

Just now, ludurigan said:

if "doing more for the band's branding" was actually a factor then one can argue that axl should tour for free and pay back their former bandmates a lot of money for "brand damages" because no one -- not even steven adler -- "damaged" the "brand" more than axl rose

Considering the outcome of the negotiations with Izzy, I don't think they agreed with this.

On 26/02/2019 at 2:31 PM, Tom-Ass said:

First of all I wasn't arguing.. Second I didn't reference a thing about Axl.. 

As far as Duff and Slash I will play along... They toured in the band for a little over a year than Izzy did. This was after the bands legacy was already stamped..

Seriously though. What exactly did Slash and Duff do over the years for the bands branding and popularity?  Release the wildly successful Welcome To The Videos and Live Era? lol I am pretty sure the band wouldn't have been forgotten about without those.  That has to be one of the most overstated arguments around here...

exactly... and what Axl ever did over the years for the bands "branding" and "popularity" other than release a nonsense album that doesn't have any half-good songs (specially when compared to GNR songs) and milking the band's legacy to the bone with an utter and complete nonsense joke band that presented itself to the world as "guns n roses" until that joke no longer worked and he was forced to call slash & duff back so he could continue to do the same?

1 hour ago, soon said:

Or Izzy was there for at least part of those sessions and has released a lot of music since then, some of which may have been included in those sessions.

No, the 1996 sessions were axl (though he hardly sang anything i guess)/slash/paul/duff/matt/dizzy.

Izzy was briefly involved in 1995 when he wrote and recorded with Duff a bunch of songs that were supposed to by used by gnr but went nowhere. Given their current relationship with Izzy, i don't think they will rework any of those.

Edited by Twinaleblood

4 hours ago, KURT19 said:

Trust me, I get that.  I saw three of the "reunion" shows and they were a blast. 

But Duff could have been punk as funk if he had told Axl that Izzy and Steven HAD to be involved in that NITL tour with Slash.

It rubs salt in the wound now to see Duff walking the walk and talking the talk for Axl and his "new" music. 

Frustrating because IZZY was a major songwriting force in this band and anything new from GnR should involve him, in my not so humble opinion.

Why is Duff judged based on whether he went to bat for Adler or not? Maybe he didn't think Adler was worth the risk either?

4 hours ago, KURT19 said:

But Duff could have been punk as funk if he had told Axl that Izzy and Steven HAD to be involved in that NITL tour with Slash.

It rubs salt in the wound now to see Duff walking the walk and talking the talk for Axl and his "new" music. 

Well, considering the possibility that there is a great chance that Duff is okay with Izzy and Steven not being part of the NITL tour given that he - in contrast to you - is privy to their demands, I don't really get how you can just conclude it would have been "punk as fuck" if he had refused. You are basically taking your opinions (Steven and Izzy should have been part of the NITL tour on the demands they set) and assume these are shared by Duff, and then conclude that he is weak or whatever for not living up to your opinions.

And I can understand it feels like salt in a wound when Duff doesn't behave the way you wanted and expected him to, but that is of course your own fault for having these strange expectations about him.

It is quite likely and reasonable that Duff is fully behind the decision to not include Steven and Izzy on their terms.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Well, considering the possibility that there is a great chance that Duff is okay with Izzy and Steven not being part of the NITL tour given that he - in contrast to you - is privy to their demands, I don't really get how you can just conclude it would have been "punk as fuck" if he had refused. You are basically taking your opinions (Steven and Izzy should have been part of the NITL tour on the demands they set) and assume these are shared by Duff, and then conclude that he is weak or whatever for not living up to your opinions.

And I can understand it feels like salt in a wound when Duff doesn't behave the way you wanted and expected him to, but that is of course your own fault for having these strange expectations about him.

It is quite likely and reasonable that Duff is fully behind the decision to not include Steven and Izzy on their terms.

I don't want to argue but please don't put words in my mouth...I didn't say that Duff should have "refused" anything.  Maybe he did tell Axl that Izzy and Steven should be involved and Axl didn't listen, or care to listen.

I wasn't there.  I do believe that you are right though...

Duff was fully behind the decision to not include Steven and Izzy on their terms because it ultimately benefited his own bank account.

4 minutes ago, KURT19 said:

I don't want to argue but please don't put words in my mouth...I didn't say that Duff should have "refused" anything.  Maybe he did tell Axl that Izzy and Steven should be involved and Axl didn't listen, or care to listen.

I wasn't there.  I do believe that you are right though...

Duff was fully behind the decision to not include Steven and Izzy on their terms because it ultimately benefited his own bank account.

Or! He was fully behind the decisions to not include them because Izzy's demands were unreasonable and didn't trust Adler could pull it off. 

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 2:53 AM, h2sublime said:

Here is a release plan that would work for me. 

- Guns release live compilation soon from the entire tour picking the best versions,

- In the fall Guns release a new “best of” with a couple new tracks thrown in written by the big three.

- Spring 2020 the band releases a full album comprising of Axl’s vision for the rest of the chinese material but with Slash and Duff then gear up for a new summer tour, 

I know this is a total fantasy but it would be really great if tgey could pull something like this off.

Yeah, I also want a live cd/blue ray of the Not in this lifetime tour for sure.

New music would be awesome too. I want GNR to continue for many years to come and new music from them would show they are thinking the same way.

17 hours ago, Modano09 said:

So instead of new music that everyone can enjoy, you'd rather they be out there touring with Izzy so you can have the peace of mind of knowing that somewhere out there GNR are touring with Izzy included?  But then kind of suggest that touring with Izzy would lead to new music anyway....and Izzy would talk them out of the drummer you don't like.  

YAY!!!!!! You can read!! You aren't as dumb as you appear to be. I am so proud of you... His question asked what we as individuals would rather. I answered that.. Now piss off...

16 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

Anyone who saw guns up to 93 saw a different band than anything since or present.

True that

Edited by Tom-Ass

56 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

YAY!!!!!! You can read!! You aren't as dumb as you appear to be. I am so proud of you... His question asked what we as individuals would rather. I answered that.. Now piss off...

True that

It just seems like a pretty selfish preference. To hell with an album everyone can enjoy, you want Izzy in GNR so you have the peace of mind of knowing he is and have convinced yourself that if Izzy were in GNR all your other annoyances would be taken care of because Izzy would take care of them.

51 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

It just seems like a pretty selfish preference. To hell with an album everyone can enjoy, you want Izzy in GNR so you have the peace of mind of knowing he is and have convinced yourself that if Izzy were in GNR all your other annoyances would be taken care of because Izzy would take care of them.

Selfish?  Maybe.. I don't care what you want and I certainly don't give a shit one way or the other if you care what I want. One of the things that pisses me off most in this world is when people put words in my mouth.. Your assumptions for my reasoning of what I want is just as bad as doing that... You have no clue of what my thought process is and don't try act all high and mighty and tell me what it is..  Do me a favor and PLEASE select the ignore option of all my posts so I never have to correspond with your annoying ass again.. Please just do that one thing for me... I reply to peoples comments and give my opinions but I have ZERO interest in the constant back and forth bickering that you always seem to be a part of... 

• Like 1