DUFF MCKAGAN Says AXL ROSE Has Come Up With 'Some Magnificent Stuff' For New GUNS N' ROSES Album

The prospect of a new album gives me mixed feelings. As much as I'm ecstatic about new material potentially coming out, I'm having a major fear of it turning out too generic and cliche as most rock albums lately (hope I'll be proven wrong). Most here seem to want another AfD, yet I don't know if I agree, they're too old to write songs like that, at least lyrically; I mean the attitude of that whole album was so youthfully rebellious, feisty and bold, I don't think it would look good if songs like WTTJ, It's so easy, Mr. Brownstone or Rocket queen were written by 50-something-year-olds. Even romantic songs, which are Axl's bread and butter...the guy hasn't been romantically linked to anyone for such a long time now, if he's still singing about girls he hasn't been with for nearly three decades, it's gonna look a bit... pathetic? As for rockers, I don't want rockers just for the sake of having rockers on the album. Coming up with a decent rocker seems very challenging nowadays; how many old bands put out very generic, almost Rock the Rock quality songs, I don't want G'n'R to be like that. I wouldn't mind them getting a bit more political with their songs though, as it always looks as if Axl has something to say on that front. 

On 19.3.2019 at 8:29 PM, vikute91 said:

The prospect of a new album gives me mixed feelings. As much as I'm ecstatic about new material potentially coming out, I'm having a major fear of it turning out too generic and cliche as most rock albums lately (hope I'll be proven wrong). Most here seem to want another AfD, yet I don't know if I agree, they're too old to write songs like that, at least lyrically; I mean the attitude of that whole album was so youthfully rebellious, feisty and bold, I don't think it would look good if songs like WTTJ, It's so easy, Mr. Brownstone or Rocket queen were written by 50-something-year-olds. Even romantic songs, which are Axl's bread and butter...the guy hasn't been romantically linked to anyone for such a long time now, if he's still singing about girls he hasn't been with for nearly three decades, it's gonna look a bit... pathetic? As for rockers, I don't want rockers just for the sake of having rockers on the album. Coming up with a decent rocker seems very challenging nowadays; how many old bands put out very generic, almost Rock the Rock quality songs, I don't want G'n'R to be like that. I wouldn't mind them getting a bit more political with their songs though, as it always looks as if Axl has something to say on that front. 

Based on the interviews we've read, it's safe to say that a large portion of the next album will be songs written by Axl before the reunion. So the album will most likely be more comparable with CD than AFD. I don't think we have to fear that it's gonna be too generic. A much more realistic concern is that it will be too different compared to the old GNR stuff. So AFD era purists will probably be disappointed. CD fans will probably like it.

• Like 3

On 3/19/2019 at 2:29 PM, vikute91 said:

Why not a song like WTTJ? The last three minutes of Rocket Queen is probably one of the best work that GNR has ever done. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Draguns said:

Why not a song like WTTJ? The last three minutes of Rocket Queen is probably one of the best work that GNR has ever done. 

Oh, I totally agree on Rocket Queen, it's gotta be my all-time fave by them. But... call me ageist, or whatever, I just think Axl's too old to write a song like that nowadays. The song was just so raw and full of that attitude a young band has, and they're passed that... not that it's necessarily a bad thing. Mind that I mostly speak about concept and lyrics; musically, I hope, they can be just how they used to.

On 2/23/2019 at 12:22 PM, Its Tino said:

Geez guys,

”beggars can’t be choosy”

"Beggars" really?????????????  thats so fucked up...perhaps if Guns N Roses released an album every few years like most bands do...and didnt treat their fans WORSE THAN SHIT..and kept us in the dark and hanging on stupid ass interviews like duff gave where he says "oh we do what we wanna do and it'll happen when it happens"  BULLSHIT...maybe we wouldn't be downgraded to being called "Beggars"  by fools like you!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Bassist4 said:

"Beggars" really?????????????  thats so fucked up...perhaps if Guns N Roses released an album every few years like most bands do...and didnt treat their fans WORSE THAN SHIT..and kept us in the dark and hanging on stupid ass interviews like duff gave where he says "oh we do what we wanna do and it'll happen when it happens"  BULLSHIT...maybe we wouldn't be downgraded to being called "Beggars"  by fools like you!

Whoa man you got way too angry. Sorry to have upset you so greatly. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 2:29 PM, vikute91 said:

Most gnr fans have unreal expectations IMO.  I just want new GNR music.  Its not going to change the music world or cure disease.  Motley Crue just put out a few new tunes, and guess what they sound like?  MC music, that's all I really want.  Just write some music and put it out

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 10:20 AM, fabrph5 said:

Motley Crue just put out a few new tunes, and guess what they sound like?  MC music, that's all I really want.  Just write some music and put it out

I love Motley Crue but all 4 of those songs sucked.. I would rather no music than bad music. There is no guarantee that Guns will release good music. 

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I love Motley Crue but all 4 of those songs sucked.. I would rather no music than bad music. There is no guarantee that

Guns will release good music. 

in YOUR opinion.  I happen to really like the dirt.  Sounds like classic MC.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Axl, Slash, and Duff together never released bad music whatever that means to you.

True but it has been almost 30 years and they have all released bad music since.. Then when you through the replacements into the picture, who knows what the hell will happen.  Not saying it will be bad but there is just no guarantee it will be good. That's all.. 

It look like they get more mature. And I'm sure they will not give to us bad songs. They know that a lot of people are wainting that a lot. If the song are bad it will difficult to play it on the next tour. It need to be a a certain level for sure. We can said anything about this 3 guys but no that theey are stupid. If it doesn't work nothing will get throught .

(sorry for the English of a French guy !!! hope at least you understand the meaning )

2 minutes ago, AxlSlashthebest said:

It look like they get more mature. And I'm sure they will not give to us bad songs. They know that a lot of people are wainting that a lot. If the song are bad it will difficult to play it on the next tour. It need to be a a certain level for sure. We can said anything about this 3 guys but no that theey are stupid. If it doesn't work nothing will get throught .

(sorry for the English of a French guy !!! hope at least you understand the meaning )

Replace any dud SMKC song with Axls voice and it immediately turns into at the very least an ok song so I'm not worried about any truly bad songs. Even the "worst" guns songs (shotgun blues, scraped) have redeeming qualities 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Axl_morris said:

You guys still fall for this bullshit :lol:

They each take turns every few months to say the same thing.

Agreed. I got my head caved in for saying something similar not long ago. Not sure why everyone doesn't understand that there's just a rotation of current players in GNR who's job it is to say this type of thing every so often. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Agreed. I got my head caved in for saying something similar not long ago. Not sure why everyone doesn't understand that there's just a rotation of current players in GNR who's job it is to say this type of thing every so often. 

Yeah the same happened before the reunion - almost verbatim 

"Axl has a lot of good shit up his sleeves, so I'm really excited about it" - DJ Ashba (2010)

Must be something in the contract that requires you to say this :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Summer 19

"We're putting together ideas"

Winter 19

"We are putting things together and everything is super exciting"

Spring 2020

"Axl has slot if great stuff written, it'll be out when it's ready"

Summer 2025

"I feel now is the time to be working on this and it'll be out when it's out"

• Like 1