Jump to content
Gibbo

DUFF MCKAGAN Says AXL ROSE Has Come Up With 'Some Magnificent Stuff' For New GUNS N' ROSES Album

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Fourteenbeers said:

You  make a good point, it's pretty much impossible to please everyone.  Although... I don't remember seeing one single negative comment about Bryan Mantia (here on this forum) but that could be just a coincidence. Obviously I haven't read everything that has been written about him.:shrugs:

He was criticized back in the day. But he's been gone for so long that these days only people who liked his drumming style ever really talk about him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm neither here nor there on Frank, he doesn't stand out to me as being particularly good or bad, but he certainly knows what he's doing and does it well enough to earn his place. All the Frank hate is seriously melodramatic.

On 09/03/2019 at 12:25 AM, Pskihq92 said:

I'm sorry, have you not heard him butcher the intro to PC somehow? How tf do you mess up that intro? Why change it? It sounds wrong. 

I don't know what gigs you've been listening to, but the only people who manage to butcher anything on a GN'R stage are Axl and Slash themselves. The rest of the band are pretty fuckin tight.

12 hours ago, Pskihq92 said:

The very beginning of the song he does not do the beat right. After the 8th beat he doesn't do the timing right. He repeats the first 2 groups of 4. It doesn't sound right. Surely I can't be the only one who's noticed? 

1 2 3 4. 1 2 3 4. 1 2 12 1234. Is the 3rd of the 4 groups that he messes up

I dunno, it kinda seems like you're looking too hard for something to complain about, my dude.

6 hours ago, Fourteenbeers said:

You  make a good point, it's pretty much impossible to please everyone.  Although... I don't remember seeing one single negative comment about Bryan Mantia (here on this forum) but that could be just a coincidence. Obviously I haven't read everything that has been written about him.:shrugs:

That's because Brain is a beast. Easily the best drummer GN'R has had.

Josh Freese is great too, but I haven't heard enough of his work with GN'R to form any real opinion on how he would've fit into the band. If OMG is anything to go by though, he would have been just as great as Brain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of me wants as close recreation of the Appetite/UYI spirit/songs as possible because that’s the magic recipe that made Guns N’ Roses what they are but I also recognize that Izzy, a major part of that era, is highly unlikely to be involved and that times/people have changed. I saw iconic bands come up with some real stinkers after taking long breaks and I saw others re-invent themselves and put out killer records. Hope it’s the latter with GN’R. They certainly got talent to pull it off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

I dunno, it kinda seems like you're looking too hard for something to complain about, my dude.

But I'm not lol a 6 year old could play the intro right.  He changes it. It's not one show it's every show.  Every recording.  He changes one of the coolest yet most amazing intros ...and I have no idea why.  For the record that is my only hate on for Frank.  Besides that I don't mind him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, izzyzz said:

Part of me wants as close recreation of the Appetite/UYI spirit/songs as possible because that’s the magic recipe that made Guns N’ Roses what they are but I also recognize that Izzy, a major part of that era, is highly unlikely to be involved and that times/people have changed. I saw iconic bands come up with some real stinkers after taking long breaks and I saw others re-invent themselves and put out killer records. Hope it’s the latter with GN’R. They certainly got talent to pull it off.

thats what i'm talkin about. the CD vibe is very dark, depressive, melancholic. the fans won't like that. And i'm pretty convinced that we've already heard the best from CD.

without matt/steven and izzy it won't be a good album.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Creed said:

thats what i'm talkin about. the CD vibe is very dark, depressive, melancholic. the fans won't like that. And i'm pretty convinced that we've already heard the best from CD.

without matt/steven and izzy it won't be a good album.

I don't think so. Quite a few gnr masterpieces are dark, depressive and melancholic: estranged, coma... Great Songs... 

And of course they are able to create a great album without them. Matt and Steven are replaceable drummers in the studio. The casual fan doesn't even matter about the drummer... As for izzy, I get your point. But, come on. It isn't 87 anymore. The circumstances around the band have changed... Even izzy couldn't bring that vibe back. But that doesn't mean, that they are not able to create a good, solid rockalbum... 

Edited by ZODIAC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Creed said:

thats what i'm talkin about. the CD vibe is very dark, depressive, melancholic. the fans won't like that. And i'm pretty convinced that we've already heard the best from CD.

without matt/steven and izzy it won't be a good album.

I dunno, I mean to be fair we still don't quite know if it will  be purely Axl CD era songs repurposed or if Slash and Duff will bring in a few ideas as well.  You have 2 people who wrote songs like Slither, etc. in the 21st century, I can easily see a few balls to the wall straight up rockers via Slash being added to the mix too.  As much as I want Izzy to be a part of this too, I feel like there is a potential for a great GNR album with this lineup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just came from watching Captain Marvel. There are references to GNR in the movie. I think a new album will definitely do very well!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Draguns said:

I just came from watching Captain Marvel. There are references to GNR in the movie. I think a new album will definitely do very well!!

Not seen it yet - what kind of references (I am guessing jokes around a new album being out soon or something - think the film is set in the 90’s)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

Not seen it yet - what kind of references (I am guessing jokes around a new album being out soon or something - think the film is set in the 90’s)?

No jokes about a new album. It's a pretty cool and respectful way they did it. The movie is set in 1995.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Draguns said:

No jokes about a new album. It's a pretty cool and respectful way they did it. The movie is set in 1995.

Fair enough. 1995 in GNR-land would make for an entertaining drama in its own right!! 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09. 03. 2019. at 7:59 PM, WhazUp said:

Well in that case the fact that only 10 percent, maybe much much less percentage wise, of the people who actually go to the shows are actively hating on Frank on the forums or bring it up I'd say your point is true - it doesn't matter and it is delusion to think your view rises above all others and is somehow more valid :)

 

 

Your opinion is your opinion and it is valid and all that stuff.  But that is all it is, anything else is just funny Frank hate lol.  It is always funny to me that some people go "I think something sounds like shit so everyone has to agree and it is a fact". And that is coming from me, who isn't a huge hardcore Frank fan anyways. 

Frank man, it is nothing personal.

Also, guess what?  If I state my opinion on the board, it is quiet obvious it is my opinion and not your or the guy next to you.:facepalm:

Quiet honestly, I stated my opinion, as did 99% others here about Frank, so let's take the average and see whose opinion weights more??;)

As you are in the numbers....Please tell me what is the number of registered users here and the total number of concert has beens 2016 - 2018.  Your points make less and and less sense.

We here are hard core fans, 99.8% of the concert has beens doesn't even know this forum exists.  And like 95% says Franks druming is shit so it should not take a genius to figure ou the stand point, unless you are deaf.  Especially as we were there when Matt and Adler were in the band 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10. 03. 2019. at 11:04 PM, Draguns said:

I just came from watching Captain Marvel. There are references to GNR in the movie. I think a new album will definitely do very well!!

do they mention 'captain america has been torn apart' :lol:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

do they mention 'captain america has been torn apart' :lol:

Nah he survived Thanos' finger snap in Infinity War, but he might get torn apart in Endgame

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2019 at 6:04 PM, Draguns said:

I just came from watching Captain Marvel. There are references to GNR in the movie. I think a new album will definitely do very well!!

I noticed this too, very cool!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I anticipate that any new GNR album will be a lesser version of the Use Your Illusions.  Not to say that there can't be a few good tunes, but I don't expect it to live up to the original material released from 87-91.  Now, if Izzy was involved, I would have higher expectations because he was a key part of the song writing process.

It could be BETTER than Chinese Democracy however.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BadApples87 said:

I anticipate that any new GNR album will be a lesser version of the Use Your Illusions.  Not to say that there can't be a few good tunes, but I don't expect it to live up to the original material released from 87-91.  Now, if Izzy was involved, I would have higher expectations because he was a key part of the song writing process.

It could be BETTER than Chinese Democracy however.........

That is pretty much what I expect and how I feel too but you never know.. Either way I don't see how it couldn't be better than CD...

I obviously would have higher expectations with a different drummer too.. This lineup is just kind of mehhhh... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

That is pretty much what I expect and how I feel too but you never know.. Either way I don't see how it couldn't be better than CD...

I obviously would have higher expectations with a different drummer too.. This lineup is just kind of mehhhh... 

Yeah, the drummer is below par.  Could of at least brought Matt Sorum back, since they obviously don't think Adler is dependable.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The prospect of a new album gives me mixed feelings. As much as I'm ecstatic about new material potentially coming out, I'm having a major fear of it turning out too generic and cliche as most rock albums lately (hope I'll be proven wrong). Most here seem to want another AfD, yet I don't know if I agree, they're too old to write songs like that, at least lyrically; I mean the attitude of that whole album was so youthfully rebellious, feisty and bold, I don't think it would look good if songs like WTTJ, It's so easy, Mr. Brownstone or Rocket queen were written by 50-something-year-olds. Even romantic songs, which are Axl's bread and butter...the guy hasn't been romantically linked to anyone for such a long time now, if he's still singing about girls he hasn't been with for nearly three decades, it's gonna look a bit... pathetic? As for rockers, I don't want rockers just for the sake of having rockers on the album. Coming up with a decent rocker seems very challenging nowadays; how many old bands put out very generic, almost Rock the Rock quality songs, I don't want G'n'R to be like that. I wouldn't mind them getting a bit more political with their songs though, as it always looks as if Axl has something to say on that front. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19.3.2019 at 8:29 PM, vikute91 said:

The prospect of a new album gives me mixed feelings. As much as I'm ecstatic about new material potentially coming out, I'm having a major fear of it turning out too generic and cliche as most rock albums lately (hope I'll be proven wrong). Most here seem to want another AfD, yet I don't know if I agree, they're too old to write songs like that, at least lyrically; I mean the attitude of that whole album was so youthfully rebellious, feisty and bold, I don't think it would look good if songs like WTTJ, It's so easy, Mr. Brownstone or Rocket queen were written by 50-something-year-olds. Even romantic songs, which are Axl's bread and butter...the guy hasn't been romantically linked to anyone for such a long time now, if he's still singing about girls he hasn't been with for nearly three decades, it's gonna look a bit... pathetic? As for rockers, I don't want rockers just for the sake of having rockers on the album. Coming up with a decent rocker seems very challenging nowadays; how many old bands put out very generic, almost Rock the Rock quality songs, I don't want G'n'R to be like that. I wouldn't mind them getting a bit more political with their songs though, as it always looks as if Axl has something to say on that front. 

Based on the interviews we've read, it's safe to say that a large portion of the next album will be songs written by Axl before the reunion. So the album will most likely be more comparable with CD than AFD. I don't think we have to fear that it's gonna be too generic. A much more realistic concern is that it will be too different compared to the old GNR stuff. So AFD era purists will probably be disappointed. CD fans will probably like it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With each band member comment I get happier and happier.

That said, there is still some classic GN'R non-committal lines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2019 at 2:29 PM, vikute91 said:

The prospect of a new album gives me mixed feelings. As much as I'm ecstatic about new material potentially coming out, I'm having a major fear of it turning out too generic and cliche as most rock albums lately (hope I'll be proven wrong). Most here seem to want another AfD, yet I don't know if I agree, they're too old to write songs like that, at least lyrically; I mean the attitude of that whole album was so youthfully rebellious, feisty and bold, I don't think it would look good if songs like WTTJ, It's so easy, Mr. Brownstone or Rocket queen were written by 50-something-year-olds. Even romantic songs, which are Axl's bread and butter...the guy hasn't been romantically linked to anyone for such a long time now, if he's still singing about girls he hasn't been with for nearly three decades, it's gonna look a bit... pathetic? As for rockers, I don't want rockers just for the sake of having rockers on the album. Coming up with a decent rocker seems very challenging nowadays; how many old bands put out very generic, almost Rock the Rock quality songs, I don't want G'n'R to be like that. I wouldn't mind them getting a bit more political with their songs though, as it always looks as if Axl has something to say on that front. 

Why not a song like WTTJ? The last three minutes of Rocket Queen is probably one of the best work that GNR has ever done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Draguns said:

Why not a song like WTTJ? The last three minutes of Rocket Queen is probably one of the best work that GNR has ever done. 

Oh, I totally agree on Rocket Queen, it's gotta be my all-time fave by them. But... call me ageist, or whatever, I just think Axl's too old to write a song like that nowadays. The song was just so raw and full of that attitude a young band has, and they're passed that... not that it's necessarily a bad thing. Mind that I mostly speak about concept and lyrics; musically, I hope, they can be just how they used to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×