DUFF MCKAGAN Says AXL ROSE Has Come Up With 'Some Magnificent Stuff' For New GUNS N' ROSES Album

17 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I agree. Axl on Rock the Rock, a generic song for a children's cartoon, sounded much better than Myles did on any song on SMKC's recent album. Slash writes generic shit, but Axl can at least make it sound interesting due to his unique vocals.

I disagree. The main parts Slash was responsible for in GNR are still top notch on his records and are mostly missing on CD for example. 

Take away either Axl, Slash or Izzy and there's something missing. That's obvious when you compare their solo efforts with GNR.

Axl and Slash have both something unique and special that you can't replace and Izzy bonded their shit together. Basically it's easy as that.

To say just Axl makes the music interesting is as bullshit as saying Slash is the only one responsible for GNR's success.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I disagree. The main parts Slash was responsible for in GNR are still top notch on his records and are mostly missing on CD for example. 

Take away either Axl, Slash or Izzy and there's something missing. That's obvious when you compare their solo efforts with GNR.

Axl and Slash have both something unique and special that you can't replace and Izzy bonded their shit together. Basically it's easy as that.

To say just Axl makes the music interesting is as bullshit as saying Slash is the only one responsible for GNR's success.

Just because Slash still excels at his craft, does not mean the material he produces as a solo artist isn’t generic. My point was that Axl will provide a more unique element to Slash’s material than Myles does. That should go without saying. I was reinforcing the point that even the worst GNR song will be okay, not least because of Axl’s vocals.

On 2/23/2019 at 2:23 AM, IncitingChaos said:

If I’m Axl I hand over melody and lyrics to Slash and Duff from previous sessions and erase everything else to give Duff and Slash a chance to make it a true GNR sound

I don't believe Axl erases anything. He keeps it for later is my guess.

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

I don't believe Axl erases anything. He keeps it for later is my guess.

Exactly. There's no way Axl is going to invest all those years in writing and recording all that material to just throw it out as soon as Slash and Duff walk into the studio.

It's going to be the same stuff, but he'll just work their parts into it like he did with Ron and Frank, with maybe a few new Slash/Duff written tracks.

10 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

Exactly. There's no way Axl is going to invest all those years in writing and recording all that material to just throw it out as soon as Slash and Duff walk into the studio.

It's going to be the same stuff, but he'll just work their parts into it like he did with Ron and Frank, with maybe a few new Slash/Duff written tracks.

Perhaps, but my guess is more than just a few new Slash/Duff tracks. Slash is a riff master and him and Duff are a very strong unit. I know Axl said in the China exchange thing he wants to starts from lyrics as well but if let's say Slash comes up with a brilliant riff I just don't see Axl being indifferent about it. He did play Slither and Slash already said he wrote 2 new Guns riffs he is saving.

It could be a double album it could be like the Illusions but not released at the same time so there could be room for even 6 new Slash and Duff tracks. We don't know anything at this point.

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

Perhaps, but my guess is more than just a few new Slash/Duff tracks. Slash is a riff master and him and Duff are a very strong unit. I know Axl said in the China exchange thing he wants to starts from lyrics as well but if let's say Slash comes up with a brilliant riff I just don't see Axl being indifferent about it. He did play Slither and Slash already said he wrote 2 new Guns riffs he is saving.

It could be a double album it could be like the Illusions but not released at the same time so there could be room for even 6 new Slash and Duff tracks. We don't know anything at this point.

An Illusions style double album would be the perfect scenario after 10 years of nothing - plenty of room for a disc of Axl's stuff from the CD sessions, and a disc of classic Guns sleaze with revamps of material from the lost 96 album and new new stuff.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Agreed. I got my head caved in for saying something similar not long ago. Not sure why everyone doesn't understand that there's just a rotation of current players in GNR who's job it is to say this type of thing every so often. 

But you have to admit this is kinda a new situation. I personally will give them the benefit of the doubt. The reunion has happened, the tour is over and Slash will be touring till august or something. Then we will see if it's the typical  "Axl has a ton of new material, we're looking forward to focus on the new record soon" - bullshit, or if there's more to it this time.

32 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

But you have to admit this is kinda a new situation. I personally will give them the benefit of the doubt. The reunion has happened, the tour is over and Slash will be touring till august or something. Then we will see if it's the typical  "Axl has a ton of new material, we're looking forward to focus on the new record soon" - bullshit, or if there's more to it this time.

That's the big argument, right? "But this time it's different. It's Slash. It's Duff. It's after the reunion". 

Honestly, whomever is saying it or the fact that it's after a reunion means nothing to me. At this point in their career, Duff & Slash's names are interchangable with Tommy, Richard and Dizzy were on the subject of new GN'R material.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

That's the big argument, right? "But this time it's different. It's Slash. It's Duff. It's after the reunion". 

Honestly, whomever is saying it or the fact that it's after a reunion means nothing to me. At this point in their career, Duff & Slash's names are interchangable with Tommy, Richard and Dizzy were on the subject of new GN'R material.

For me the thing that would shed some light on all of that would be knowing what it is Duff and Slash envision for GNR.  As in, are they totally cool with just shows and nothing new for the rest of time?  Or would they be willing to quit GNR once again if it proves to be exactly that?   

Because to me Slash and Duff have some weight and pull with GNR currently, like I don't think that the general public would be very welcoming to an "Axl and random people" GNR again now that we have gotten Slash back for 3 years already.   If Slash leaves GNR, to me that would mean either GNR stops existing or goes back to playing small venues of little consequence  So Slash and Duff theoretically have more influence in the future of GNR than Richard, Dizzy, Tommy, etc. if new material is the only way to keep them happy

So to me the big question is, at this point are Slash and Duff happy with touring and never recording/releasing stuff with GNR?  And if not, would Axl be willing to be productive for the sake of keeping them onboard?

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

For me the thing that would shed some light on all of that would be knowing what it is Duff and Slash envision for GNR.  As in, are they totally cool with just shows and nothing new for the rest of time?  Or would they be willing to quit GNR once again if it proves to be exactly that?   

Because to me Slash and Duff have some weight and pull with GNR currently, like I don't think that the general public would be very welcoming to an "Axl and random people" GNR again now that we have gotten Slash back for 3 years already.   If Slash leaves GNR, to me that would mean either GNR stops existing or goes back to playing small venues of little consequence  So Slash and Duff theoretically have more influence in the future of GNR than Richard, Dizzy, Tommy, etc. if new material is the only way to keep them happy

So to me the big question is, at this point are Slash and Duff happy with touring and never recording/releasing stuff with GNR?  And if not, would Axl be willing to be productive for the sake of keeping them onboard?

They probably arent but r they going to leave the cow even if theres no releases? They've already proved they can do both, milk the cow and release solo stuff. Duff is going to his second album since he got back, I dont think it is that big of a problem for them.

They keep the cow alive for the casuals, milk it endlessly and do their own thing separate ways... In the end, their major audience doesnt really care for new material that much anyways. 

Its a fuckin shame and waste of talent but it is what it is. 

On 4/1/2019 at 9:12 AM, Tom-Ass said:

I love Motley Crue but all 4 of those songs sucked.. I would rather no music than bad music. There is no guarantee that Guns will release good music. 

At least GNR would not do a cover like "Like a Virgin". That  was just simply awful. Not sure what Motley Crue was thinking. A college acquaintance was drunk and did a performance of that song at a mutual friend's wedding 13 years ago. He sounded better than Vince did. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RussTCB said:

But it IS the difference. Whether it changes things up or not we will see. We all know at the end of the day it's Axl who has to go into the studio and sing, therefore you're most probably right, but I haven't lost hope yet, that he might be excited to work with Slash and Duff again after all these years.

Look, I'm not trying to convince you that you're wrong with your opinion. I just think it's legitimate to be a little more optimistic this time and give this line up a chance. Basically they're on the home stretch and in a few months we can tell for sure that they're all talking bullshit.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

An Illusions style double album would be the perfect scenario after 10 years of nothing - plenty of room for a disc of Axl's stuff from the CD sessions, and a disc of classic Guns sleaze with revamps of material from the lost 96 album and new new stuff.

The perfect scenario for me could be seen as unrealistic but it's not a double it's a trilogy released every 2 to 3 years. 3 discs of original material with covers like in the Illusions. All eras of the band represented musically. Chinese, Appetite, Lies, and Illusions but I dream big. Fortus said Axl got like 4 albums of original material, Duff said Axl got a "zillion" tunes.

Top the Illusions with quantity while keeping the standard of quality high somewhere between Chinese and Illusions.

Edited by Rovim

11 hours ago, Free Bird said:

But it IS the difference. Whether it changes things up or not we will see. We all know at the end of the day it's Axl who has to go into the studio and sing, therefore you're most probably right, but I haven't lost hope yet, that he might be excited to work with Slash and Duff again after all these years.

Look, I'm not trying to convince you that you're wrong with your opinion. I just think it's legitimate to be a little more optimistic this time and give this line up a chance. Basically they're on the home stretch and in a few months we can tell for sure that they're all talking bullshit.

And that’s another thing - he doesn’t even need to do that with all the material for CD2 etc waiting to be utilised. After all, most of the vocals on CD were about 8 years old I’m sure!