DUFF MCKAGAN Says AXL ROSE Has Come Up With 'Some Magnificent Stuff' For New GUNS N' ROSES Album

I can only speak for myself but I would review a new Guns album as I would review any album. If it was great I'd say so, if it was shite I'd say so. Chinese's weakness was as much lyrically as any abrupt changes in musical direction. The lyrics could have just as easily been placed against cock rock riffs and been just as poor.

When Slash and Richard said they were working on new stuff, I didn’t give it much credence. However, when Duff says it, I definitely feel that it has some merit! 

Not sure why but Duff definitely seems to be the most credible and trustworthy when it comes to this band.

I’ve been around the block too many times to firmly get my hopes up but consider my fingers crossed!

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

This is going to end the same way the Chinese release did:

Open minded fans will give it a chance and probably like / love it. 

Fans who are still REALLY mad that it's not still 1987 are going to complain a ton.

I'm not quite sure if I understood your post correctly. Surely you are not saying that people who don't like everything Gn'R releases, are not open minded or would like to live in the past? (and yes I noticed the use of the word "probably", but IMO it still comes off a bit like a blanket statement)

There are fans who are very vocally hating on CD (and some others vocally loving it), there is also the middle ground, myself being part of that group. CD is very mixed bag for me. There's some stuff that I like, some of it feels OK/meh and then some that I don't like.... at all.

When it comes to the idea of living in the past and them releasing second Appetite (which is not possible, but lets pretend that it is), I'm guessing there are some people who would complain about that too, even if they didn't like CD. 

I think I've reached the point that I have no strong feelings about new music anymore. If they don't release anything new, then so be it. And if they do, that would be a small miracle and a happy day for many Gn'R fans around the world..... and Richard Fortus. :lol: 

Edited by Fourteenbeers
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Creed said:

CD has not even one track that has a catchy refrain/chorus. its an experimental album with tons of ideas. 

Huh, to my ears Shacklers has an amazingly catchy chorus. The "Na na na" part in Catcher and the refrain in There Was A Time.

That said, a few more catchy hooks wouldve been welcomed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fourteenbeers said:

I'm not quite sure if I understood your post correctly. Surely you are not saying that people who don't like everything Gn'R releases, are not open minded or would like to live in the past? (and yes I noticed the use of the word "probably", but IMO it still comes off a bit like a blanket statement)

There are fans who are very vocally hating on CD (and some others vocally loving it), there is also the middle ground, myself being part of that group. CD is very mixed bag for me. There's some stuff that I like, some of it feels OK/meh and then some that I don't like.... at all.

When it comes to the idea of living in the past and them releasing a second Appetite (which is not possible, but lets pretend that it is), I'm guessing there are some people who would complain about that too, even if they didn't like CD. 

I think I've reached the point that I have no strong feelings about new music anymore. If they don't release anything new, then so be it. And if they do, that would be a small miracle and a happy day for many Gn'R fans around the world..... and Richard Fortus :lol: 

No sir, not what I'm saying at all. 

I'm not at all saying that just because someone doesn't like CD or any particular GNR material that they are automatically closed minded. 

However, there is a large cross section of people who do not like CD that are just really mad that it's not 1987 anymore. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NeonKinight said:

As far as my knowledge goes (or as I understood) Crash Diet was never a GNR Track...or never meant to be used, just like "Sunny lovers day" n' "martyr of the 20th century".
Source :

I know, it's a shame! Never heard of those two either!

Im sure I will like it....it will have Axls vocals and Slashs guitar. That cannot fail to my ears.

Will it be as good as Estranged?!! Who knows. But it doesnt need to.

Anyways, music is subjective. I would take UYIs over AFD anyday.

I would just like these guys to set free from the burden of releasing something, and see what they have to offer.

I will always love them for what they already created. That will never change.

So for me, its a win-win situation.

On 2/22/2019 at 5:29 PM, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Soul Monster

Thyme (Tyme?)

Seven

Checkmate/Jackie Chan

The General

Atlas Shrugged

That'd be a pretty killer track list, plus whatever Axl has that we don't know about

All this plus Izzy's "Down by the River" (or something like that, whatever it's called) that allegedly Axl and ChiDem era members were tinkering around with

1 hour ago, Twinaleblood said:

Down By The Ocean (its title then changed to Box) was eventually used by Izzy on his solo album Fire, so you can listen to it there.

Nobody really knows that for sure.  Some have speculated that Box is Down by the  Ocean while others have said it's not.  I don't think it has ever been confirmed. 

2 hours ago, Twinaleblood said:

Down By The Ocean (its title then changed to Box) was eventually used by Izzy on his solo album Fire, so you can listen to it there.

49 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Nobody really knows that for sure.  Some have speculated that Box is Down by the  Ocean while others have said it's not.  I don't think it has ever been confirmed. 

2 hours ago, Ratam said:

"This plus Izzy's" is "Down the Ocean" :D

Thanks for this info, everyone

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Chinese's weakness was as much lyrically as any abrupt changes in musical direction.

Abrupt? There were 17 years between UYIs and CD. Any changes can't be considered abrupt, unless you suffered under the illusion that time stood still in the period, and I suppose to some fans it did.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

@OmarBradley here is the quote from Axl about the other album being done:

"We recorded a lot of things before Chinese was out. We’ve worked more on some of those things and we’ve written a few new things. But basically, we have what I call kind of the second half of Chinese. That’s already recorded. And then we have a remix album made of the songs from Chinese. That’s been done for a while, too."

I know he only says "That's already recorded" but he says the remix album is "done too" which I assume means the CD2 album is basically "done" (mixed/mastered/etc). And that was in 2014.

As far as The General there's a terrible quality cellphone recording of it being played at an after-party, and there's a fan-made 'remix' based on that. But we've never really heard the actual song.

I remember that The General clip, just sounded like a noisy crowd to me.

Regarding that quote, it is not terribly inspiring that there is completed material just sitting in a vault and ready to hit the shelves. Remixes of CD are nice, but that doesn't count as a new album and I don't see why the fact that a remix album is "done" leads you to believe the "what I call kind of the second half of Chinese" is also done. A remix album generally requires very little re-recording work, if any. It's basically a sound engineer or two sitting at a computer and control desk moving knobs and clicking buttons, maybe a producer/Axl checks in every now and then. The process of compiling a new record of new material is not as streamlined and requires a lot more work, even after initial recording is done - which Axl implies is the stage it was at in ~2014, at least that's how I interpret what he's saying.

3 hours ago, gavgnr said:

So want to get excited by this but ......

But the fun part and the cool part about GUNS N' ROSES is we don't really talk about it”

How can they release an album without talking about it?????

Maybe in telepathy form....:lol:

• Haha 1