Jump to content
Gibbo

DUFF MCKAGAN Says AXL ROSE Has Come Up With 'Some Magnificent Stuff' For New GUNS N' ROSES Album

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Twinaleblood said:

Down By The Ocean (its title then changed to Box) was eventually used by Izzy on his solo album Fire, so you can listen to it there.

 

49 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Nobody really knows that for sure.  Some have speculated that Box is Down by the  Ocean while others have said it's not.  I don't think it has ever been confirmed. 

 

2 hours ago, Ratam said:

"This plus Izzy's" is "Down the Ocean" :D

Thanks for this info, everyone

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Chinese's weakness was as much lyrically as any abrupt changes in musical direction.

Abrupt? There were 17 years between UYIs and CD. Any changes can't be considered abrupt, unless you suffered under the illusion that time stood still in the period, and I suppose to some fans it did.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

@OmarBradley here is the quote from Axl about the other album being done:

"We recorded a lot of things before Chinese was out. We’ve worked more on some of those things and we’ve written a few new things. But basically, we have what I call kind of the second half of Chinese. That’s already recorded. And then we have a remix album made of the songs from Chinese. That’s been done for a while, too."

I know he only says "That's already recorded" but he says the remix album is "done too" which I assume means the CD2 album is basically "done" (mixed/mastered/etc). And that was in 2014.

 

As far as The General there's a terrible quality cellphone recording of it being played at an after-party, and there's a fan-made 'remix' based on that. But we've never really heard the actual song.

I remember that The General clip, just sounded like a noisy crowd to me.

Regarding that quote, it is not terribly inspiring that there is completed material just sitting in a vault and ready to hit the shelves. Remixes of CD are nice, but that doesn't count as a new album and I don't see why the fact that a remix album is "done" leads you to believe the "what I call kind of the second half of Chinese" is also done. A remix album generally requires very little re-recording work, if any. It's basically a sound engineer or two sitting at a computer and control desk moving knobs and clicking buttons, maybe a producer/Axl checks in every now and then. The process of compiling a new record of new material is not as streamlined and requires a lot more work, even after initial recording is done - which Axl implies is the stage it was at in ~2014, at least that's how I interpret what he's saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gavgnr said:

So want to get excited by this but ......

But the fun part and the cool part about GUNS N' ROSES is we don't really talk about it”

How can they release an album without talking about it?????

Maybe in telepathy form....:lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tyson said:

They need to get Izzy back in the mix

That would make too much sense.. I wonder if they even discuss it.. The chemistry between him and Slash in my opinion in unmatched.. They can make the simplest of song structures sound completely amazing.. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

That would make too much sense.. I wonder if they even discuss it.. The chemistry between him and Slash in my opinion in unmatched.. They can make the simplest of song structures sound completely amazing.. 

 

Wonder if the bridge is burned at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They would have to offer Izzy a ton of money to get him to consider being involved. Probably same with Matt/Gilby (although I don't see those 2 considering it).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Izzy wants to be a partner, or at least compensated to roughly the same degree as Slash/Duff. But Richard reliably has his spot, so GNR feels no need to meet Izzy's demands. From a business standpoint, it makes total sense. From a human and fan standpoint, it's a major disappointment.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2019 at 5:37 PM, default_ said:

If the Axl material is anything like Catcher, TWAT, Maddy and IRS with Slash and Duffs touch im all for it! Im not really found of anything Slash or Duff have done by their own in the last few years... Slash have lost most of his sleaze rock n roll we used to have on the Snakepit albuns and I was never really a fan of Duffs work aside Believe in Me, Axl may be the savior... If it really happens someday. 

I've been saying this for awhile now. They need Izzy on board to pull this off, at least in the studio. Without him, I'm skeptical.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a release plan that would work for me. 

- Guns release live compilation soon from the entire tour picking the best versions,

- In the fall Guns release a new “best of” with a couple new tracks thrown in written by the big three.

- Spring 2020 the band releases a full album comprising of Axl’s vision for the rest of the chinese material but with Slash and Duff then gear up for a new summer tour, 

 

I know this is a total fantasy but it would be really great if tgey could pull something like this off.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

Izzy wants to be a partner, or at least compensated to roughly the same degree as Slash/Duff. But Richard reliably has his spot, so GNR feels no need to meet Izzy's demands. From a business standpoint, it makes total sense. From a human and fan standpoint, it's a major disappointment.

This one is actually quite tough...

My view is that Richard brings a lot more to the table than Izzy in terms of a live setting. In the studio, however, its very hard to argue this. Izzy has a track record of co-writing some of the greatest GN'R songs albeit 25-30 years ago.

But, as you said, from a business perspective makes a lot more sense to have Richard, who knows the catalogue inside out, and will not be demanding huge sums compared to Izzy who I can't imagine would know the CD songs (let alone pull of Bucket's solos like Richard) and would be commanding a lot more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Izzy was to have any involvement I think it would be on a minimal writing level. If anyone is expecting Izzy or Steven to have a major input of any description than they are most probably going to be disappointed. 

I honestly see no reason (from Axls POV) to drop any of the current members. They’ve just completed a 2.5 yr world tour! Successful as hell. There’s nothing to suggest that an album with this lineup wouldn’t do well! 

As stated on here a million times before, outside of the hardcore element on these boards, no Izzy or Steven means nothing to majority of casual fans who would buy the album on iTunes or gladly part with another $200 bucks when they tour the album. 

As Russ stated, it’s not 1987 anymore. 

Personally, I’d love Izzy, Steven or Sorum to be included, but it’s time to be realistic and accept that it’s a major major long shot. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/02/2019 at 12:12 AM, RussTCB said:

Seems like Duff must be on board with the Chinese leftovers. Good by me! 

Do you know some things we don't? ; ) Spit it out!

I think that a lot of the Chinese Democracy vault has an incredible potential, and with Duff & Slash touch, it could be very interesting. I really like their intro to "Better". I'm more interested in hearing CDII than listening to brand new material from 2016 on, to be perfectly honest.

The only drawback is suppressing Buckethead's work, or even Bumblefoot's. I wonder if Axl had already laid all of his vocals on the tracks we haven't heard. He clearly did on The General, and I feel this song should be released untouched. Why not offering two different versions of most songs, like Muse did with their last album?

One version with one of the CD line-ups (or a mix). And one version with Slash & Duff's take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that they played and completed a succesful 2.5 tour with Fortus and Frank has 0 to do with what the future may hold, IMO!

Every tour needs a new trick in order to work.

This tour ppl did not come out to see CD songs, Fortus or Frank, hey came out to see Slash and Duff shae stage with awful sounding Axl.

They knew they don't need Iz to sell out stadiums and pick up millions.

However, everything runs its course and so the last year or so they were back to Arena size. What will the new trick be? Ax voice will not improve by this stage. New album? Not highly, but very unlikely.

Only card Ax has left in sleeve to keep interest going is - line up.

Reading Slash latest interview between the lines - there is nothing going on in GNR camp.

Iz, on the other hand, always has songs ready to play and record, songs that IMO sound mediocre when he plays them, but are epic when Slash, Duff, Ax add their parts.   So this may work out well for Ax both in new record and touring department.

What will happen?  Will anything ever happen? Personally, I'd rather they keep GNR name with TSI being their last record than have the moniker drawn deeper in the mud with further CD type stuff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My prediction on Chinese left overs is that the Buckethead leads are largely left intact and Slash records over Robin leads. I think this because one reason Fortus is still there when Izzy wanted in is because he can play Bucketheads leads (for the most part). And though Izzy is absent, they have the 96 sessions and Izzy should be left intact on those. Plus the Project, Im not sure how those legalities work but hopefully they could use those songs and Izzys takes. I believe that it would be difficult to mix and master CD2 and classic era Izzy stuff on one cohesive album, but I think its possible to hear an album with old Izzy tracks down the road.

Also, Tommy has mentioned that RTB hd him rerecord his bass like 5 times... and then along comes Duff to record over them, Guns N' Lulzes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

I remember that The General clip, just sounded like a noisy crowd to me.

Regarding that quote, it is not terribly inspiring that there is completed material just sitting in a vault and ready to hit the shelves. Remixes of CD are nice, but that doesn't count as a new album and I don't see why the fact that a remix album is "done" leads you to believe the "what I call kind of the second half of Chinese" is also done. A remix album generally requires very little re-recording work, if any. It's basically a sound engineer or two sitting at a computer and control desk moving knobs and clicking buttons, maybe a producer/Axl checks in every now and then. The process of compiling a new record of new material is not as streamlined and requires a lot more work, even after initial recording is done - which Axl implies is the stage it was at in ~2014, at least that's how I interpret what he's saying.

Why would axl release cd left overs for a new album, and thinking those songs would be any good  considering they didnt make the cd cut in the first place?.

36 minutes ago, soon said:

My prediction on Chinese left overs is that the Buckethead leads are largely left intact and Slash records over Robin leads. I think this because one reason Fortus is still there when Izzy wanted in is because he can play Bucketheads leads (for the most part). And though Izzy is absent, they have the 96 sessions and Izzy should be left intact on those. Plus the Project, Im not sure how those legalities work but hopefully they could use those songs and Izzys takes. I believe that it would be difficult to mix and master CD2 and classic era Izzy stuff on one cohesive album, but I think its possible to hear an album with old Izzy tracks down the road.

Also, Tommy has mentioned that RTB hd him rerecord his bass like 5 times... and then along comes Duff to record over them, Guns N' Lulzes!

I personally think the new album should be written from scratch. The previous recordings that say robin and BH did, they should be left alone and release as a box set. At least to be respectful.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tadsy said:

If Izzy was to have any involvement I think it would be on a minimal writing level. If anyone is expecting Izzy or Steven to have a major input of any description than they are most probably going to be disappointed. 

I honestly see no reason (from Axls POV) to drop any of the current members. They’ve just completed a 2.5 yr world tour! Successful as hell. There’s nothing to suggest that an album with this lineup wouldn’t do well! 

As stated on here a million times before, outside of the hardcore element on these boards, no Izzy or Steven means nothing to majority of casual fans who would buy the album on iTunes or gladly part with another $200 bucks when they tour the album. 

As Russ stated, it’s not 1987 anymore. 

Personally, I’d love Izzy, Steven or Sorum to be included, but it’s time to be realistic and accept that it’s a major major long shot. 

 

I hope iz is involved, if only for songwriting. I always thought he has a tape full of potential guns ideas with masking tape that says "GNR only". If ever he gets the call.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Why would axl release cd left overs for a new album, and thinking those songs would be any good  considering they didnt make the cd cut in the first place?.

I personally think the new album should be written from scratch. The previous recordings that say robin and BH did, they should be left alone and release as a box set. At least to be respectful.

It's been said before that socalled CD leftovers aren't considered as being inferior. Same as how Don't Cry and YCBM are AFD 'leftovers'. It's not like that. It's not just songs that weren't good enough for CD.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tadsy said:

If Izzy was to have any involvement I think it would be on a minimal writing level. If anyone is expecting Izzy or Steven to have a major input of any description than they are most probably going to be disappointed. 

I honestly see no reason (from Axls POV) to drop any of the current members. They’ve just completed a 2.5 yr world tour! Successful as hell. There’s nothing to suggest that an album with this lineup wouldn’t do well! 

As stated on here a million times before, outside of the hardcore element on these boards, no Izzy or Steven means nothing to majority of casual fans who would buy the album on iTunes or gladly part with another $200 bucks when they tour the album. 

As Russ stated, it’s not 1987 anymore. 

Personally, I’d love Izzy, Steven or Sorum to be included, but it’s time to be realistic and accept that it’s a major major long shot. 

 

 

Fortus brings zero songwriting to the table. Chinese Democracy is evidence of this fact. 

Without Izzy, the other 3 guys were not able to put together an album of original material between 1991 and 1996. Guess we will see if they can get it done now. 

Edited by GNRfan2008

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Why would axl release cd left overs for a new album, and thinking those songs would be any good  considering they didnt make the cd cut in the first place?.

I personally think the new album should be written from scratch. The previous recordings that say robin and BH did, they should be left alone and release as a box set. At least to be respectful.

On this - the songs on CD were the ones considered ready to go and the others would be on the intended follow-ups......I don’t think it’s a case of all the best stuff was picked for CD.

I would love to hear the original versions of the songs we haven’t heard although I would point out that even Bumblefoot etc worked over other performance by other guitarists so it’s not like anyone can complain on that front.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding Izzy - clearly he was key on AFD/UYI, but on his solo stuff does he portray that he still has it? I know he has released about 7 albums but have only heard bits and pieces.

Or is it a case of again, he works best when working with the other big guns?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×