Gibbo

DUFF MCKAGAN Says AXL ROSE Has Come Up With 'Some Magnificent Stuff' For New GUNS N' ROSES Album

9 hours ago, Nintari said:

I've been saying this for awhile now. They need Izzy on board to pull this off, at least in the studio. Without him, I'm skeptical.

This would be ideal but unfortunately I live on the real world. 

Im not 100% found of this lineup either but we cant say much if we dont have anything to judge, they never released a song after all. If they ever release anything and it sucks, Ill probably just quit GNR and be okay with the classics, cause I dont really expect the miracle of Izzy getting back and even if he gets back, theres no guarantee the material will br any better than what we would get from this lineup. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I wouldn't rule anything out with this band.  Izzy did come out recently and didn't seem bitter.  

It's pretty amazing to me how forgiving he seems to be through the years. They screwed him back in the day on royalties and he agreed to do the 1993 shows to get $1 million of royalty money that already belonged to him. Good for the fans they got to see him and the other 3 guys together one last time, but Izzy was entitled to that money even if he refused to do the shows. He played nice in that situation. Think I would have gone the mean guy route and sued them for the money. 

In this case, if they try to bring him back for songwriting and touring...I would demand the same "equal share moving forward" that he demanded in 2016, PLUS a good share of the profits they made from the 2016-2018 tour. That tour wouldn't even have existed without the great music Izzy helped write and create 30+ years ago. 

Edited by GNRfan2008
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, default_ said:

Im not 100% found of this lineup either but we cant say much if we dont have anything to judge, they never released a song after all. If they ever release anything and it sucks, Ill probably just quit GNR and be okay with the classics, cause I dont really expect the miracle of Izzy getting back and even if he gets back, theres no guarantee the material will br any better than what we would get from this lineup. 

Exactly. 

I really don't understand people who've made up their mind about material before they've even heard it. 

I mean, what if some of GNRs best songs are yet to come and Izzy has nothing whatsoever to do with it? I'm not saying that's likely, but it is possible. A lot of people here seem willing to give up on new material on the assumption that it'll be terrible without Izzy. 

Having said that, I'm sure there's a good amount of people who are prepared to proclaim any new material as the best songs of all time without having heard it as well. 

Me personally, I learned my lesson during the lead up to Chinese. I went into that whole era fully prepared to hate anything that Axl and the new Guns N Roses lineup came up with. I was damn dear shocked when I found out I genuinely liked the songs I heard. 

So from there out, I'm good to just sit back and listen to whatever comes, then get around to making a judgment call. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, YourMother'sDruthers said:

After following the comments on this post for a couple days, a few thoughts....

1.  I don’t know why anyone is clamoring for a new “record from scratch” as opposed to unreleased music from the Chinese sessions. I have a sneaking suspicion that Axl could very well be creatively (or at least lyrically) bankrupt at this point. What’s he gonna write about at this point? If Scraped is any indication of what a new (newer) song may sound like, no thanks. I’ll take 20 songs about Stephanie and Axls tortured soul all day. 

2. A release consisting of songs from the Chinese sessions with Slash and Duff adding parts/reworking songs is THE BEST (and most likely) option. What happens to the parts recorded or written by past members? I’m not sure, but it does suck that they may not be heard (especially contributions from buckethead). Maybe the original material could be released some day in some form, but I don’t know how likely it is that parts by slash, buckethead and robin all co-exist on an album (for multiple reasons).

3. Izzy is NOT coming back. The original lineup FINALLY had a chance to reunite, and they left Izzy out because he wanted an equal cut. The others were greedy, selfish slobs and predicted (correctly) that they could keep more money for themselves and exclude Izzy, and still have a successful “reunion” tour. That has GOT TO sting. For those saying it wasn’t marketed as a reunion tour, the very name of the tour says otherwise. For those saying that Izzy couldn’t be counted on, because, 1991, stop. I’m sure he could’ve mustered up the desire to pull off touring to be apart of the biggest reunion of all time and secure his finances for the rest of his life. Axl obviously thought he could’ve learned a few CD songs, too, if he was given an offer. That being said...

4. STOP USING THE TERM “BIG 3”! It really does sound so stupid. They are not Ford, GM, and Chrysler. Besides, if there WERE a “big 3” of GNR, it would be Axl, Slash, and Izzy.

This, especially no.4

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Voting over two completely unheard sets of work :facepalm::D 

I mean what's to say '96 was such a golden year for GNR? The year the band imploded after all! I very much doubt it was their most focussed creative time... I would like to be wrong but all signs point to no... I've also not heard any member saying "We had some great music waiting to go... could have been a great record" if anything the bits they have spoke about that time was that they couldn't agree on a direction and some music was just retreading old ground.

'Jackie Chan' is a leftover from 1996/1997. And i would say that Slither, Fall to Pieces and Set me free are also from these sessions, cause they fit in this darker tone Axl wanted to go. The same with Cure me or kill me.

And of course lot of Snakepit.

This i love was most probably a totally different song and Slash thought it was a heavy ballad.

There is/was definately good stuff for an upcoming album. Not as good as AFD and UYI, but as good or even better as GnR Lies.

With the speculation about the 1996 sessions tapes...wasn't there a guy from a warehouse that said that someone from GnR pick them up a few months ago? So...maybe...theiy are really reworking some of them.

Edited by Creed

The reason people mention Izzy when songwriting crops up is Guns have done bugger all songwriting wise since he quit in 1991. The stuff they were working on in the mid '90s was probably a bunch of bollocks which is why it has never seen the light of day. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I don't really agree with that.  I think he is adequate most of the time but there are still a handful of songs that his style detracts from. With Axl's voice these days there is just no room for that.  He also doesn't sing backup vocals.. Having Duff back helps but Izzy's backups were part of the bands sound.  With him and Duff singing backups you wouldn't need to anime doll. 

I would take izzy on just stage presence alone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GNRfan2008 said:

It's pretty amazing to me how forgiving he seems to be through the years. They screwed him back in the day on royalties and he agreed to do the 1993 shows to get $1 million of royalty money that already belonged to him. Good for the fans they got to see him and the other 3 guys together one last time, but Izzy was entitled to that money even if he refused to do the shows. He played nice in that situation. Think I would have gone the mean guy route and sued them for the money. 

In this case, if they try to bring him back for songwriting and touring...I would demand the same "equal share moving forward" that he demanded in 2016, PLUS a good share of the profits they made from the 2016-2018 tour. That tour wouldn't even have existed without the great music Izzy helped write and create 30+ years ago. 

From things I've read about Izzy, he seems like he doesn't need or want to deal with any BS stressful anxiety ridden crap. I think this may explain why he "played nice" and didn't stir the pot anymore than it had already been. 

He honestly doesn't need the fame or money it seems. Why would he decide to put himself in a toxic situation if he didn't need to?

Also the stress and stuff would probably lead to heroin use again.....just saying

• Like 2

Slash probably has a whole bunch of Izzy recordings from the sessions leading into his first solo album. Izzy was the only guitarist other than himself to play on that album and I seriously doubt that “ghost” was the only song they recorded.

if any more slash/Izzy recordings exist from those sessions and slash still has them, he should dust them off and present them to axl and duff.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Stoymatic said:

From things I've read about Izzy, he seems like he doesn't need or want to deal with any BS stressful anxiety ridden crap. I think this may explain why he "played nice" and didn't stir the pot anymore than it had already been. 

He honestly doesn't need the fame or money it seems. Why would he decide to put himself in a toxic situation if he didn't need to?

Also the stress and stuff would probably lead to heroin use again.....just saying

Valid point on avoiding drug relapse. He seems like a pretty laid back guy to put up with all the BS through the years. I hope the guys will bring him back into the group at some point. 

6 hours ago, GNRfan2008 said:

As much as I like and want Izzy back, he did sell his share of the partnership. You can't fault the rest of the guys for Izzy selling his part. It's unfortunate that he felt he had to as a result of stress, drugs, etc. However, you can't sell your part of the partnership and then want back in. This is similar to what happened at my employer, Bloomberg. Mike Bloomberg wrote in his biography that a partner in the early days sold his share of the partnership.  The guy wanted back in after seeing how successful the company would become. He was denied since the other partners all took the risk. The guy would have been a billionaire if he had not sold his share. Similar situation. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Draguns said:

As much as I like and want Izzy back, he did sell his share of the partnership. You can't fault the rest of the guys for Izzy selling his part. It's unfortunate that he felt he had to as a result of stress, drugs, etc. However, you can't sell your part of the partnership and then want back in. This is similar to what happened at my employer, Bloomberg. Mike Bloomberg wrote in his biography that a partner in the early days sold his share of the partnership.  The guy wanted back in after seeing how successful the company would become. He was denied since the other partners all took the risk. The guy would have been a billionaire if he had not sold his share. Similar situation. 

Agree with this right here and he sold his share. 

Wouldnt he have to come up with money to buy back in? And im sure the value of the partnership is way more now then 26 years ago.

He sold it got paid out and was his choice at the time to take the money and run.

If i sold my entire quarter share of the company Google for 2 mill to the other partners back in 1998 and now its worth a billion bucks do you think if i rock up and ask for it back they will give it to me no questions asked? Hell no.

Edited by vloors

8 hours ago, default_ said:

we have a lot of information to judge this band that presents itself to the world as "guns n roses"

the members of that band all have solo releases

- slash and duff have been releasing substandard music on the last decade like there was no tomorrow

- axl has released that album

- the aliens also release music

i think there is very little great stuff in any of these guys individual releases.

GNR used to put out great music

we can judge them by how they sound live

i think this lineup sounds horrendous live

GNR used to sound great live

we has "jams" that were recorded during soundchecks

those were abysmal

GNR jams used to be fantastic

we have new covers that they played live

some were just plain awful. none was great.

GNR used to play covers better than the bands who wrote them

how can someone have any hope that these guys will release good music?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Draguns said:

Exactly. He wanted out, they paid him out. He cashed out. Axl/Duff/Slash then spent 20 years making GNR decisions and managing GNR and suing each other over GNR. Izzy didn't get "equal loot" because he wasn't entitled to it in writing or in principal. If fans are upset at anyone for not compromising it should be Izzy for demanding something he wasn't entitled to, not the other's for not giving in and giving it to him. He can't profit from selling it and then profit as if he didn't sell it.

5 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

Izzy reminds me of John Frusciante. Cannot handle/do not want the fame and rather be away, but amazing guitar players.

yeah you can say that i suppose, it is a bit similar i reckon

john seems to be have had way more troubles than izzy in his personal life

apparently he had a real hard time with drugs etc

thing is everyone in RHCP were smart enough to realize john's importance and did their best to welcome john back and ultimately were very successful at that

after john's return, RHCP wrote, recorded and performed live some of their best music ever

and it lasted a lot

like 8 or 10 years?

what about axl, slash and duff?

the man with a vision and his "brand partners" are clearly smarter than the "romantic", "music first" guys in RHCP

the man with a vision and his "brand partners" split the loot in three ways and got all these "hard working and extremely talented" musicians on salary

who cares about writing, recording and releasing good music?

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 1

I'm willing to put a little more trust in this since Duff actually said it instead of Fortus. I'm tired of the nostalgia touring, bring on new music please.

4 hours ago, chevelle said:

I'm willing to put a little more trust in this since Duff actually said it instead of Fortus. I'm tired of the nostalgia touring, bring on new music please.

you know a few years ago alice in chains released a new album and duff said it was the best thing he had listened to in years

to this day i am still unable to find one great song in that album

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Draguns said:

I was almost sure that Izzy is still getting money from GNR music = that still got rights to music? Are we sure that when he was leaving the band he sold his "rights" to music to other guys? Does it mean that since he left Izzy hasn't receieved any money from GNR music?

14 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I don't really agree with that.  I think he is adequate most of the time but there are still a handful of songs that his style detracts from. With Axl's voice these days there is just no room for that.  He also doesn't sing backup vocals.. Having Duff back helps but Izzy's backups were part of the bands sound.  With him and Duff singing backups you wouldn't need to anime doll. 

OK fair but maybe I should clarify. More to a live setting in terms of versatility - i.e. can play all of the GN'R catalogue. As great as Izzy is, can you imagine him playing Buckethead's Chinese Democracy solo?

• Like 2

On 24/02/2019 at 5:42 AM, Lies They Tell said:

Nice to see that they're working on the CD-era material. I hope that @Nosaj Thing still remembers our bet. If CD-era material will be officially released in some form or another he owes me 1000$

@DieselDaisy this guy's getting $1000 and you're trying to back out of getting me some fucking cheese? :no: