GNR doing covers...love or hate them? What's your favourite?

As far as covers on the NITL tour, Wichita Lineman is definitely my favourite (though Live And Let Die was surprisingly awesome at those Vegas 2016 shows!). I Feel Good was kinda cool when I saw them play it, overall it's kinda boring but Axl sounded good on it.

My least favourite is definitely Black Hole Sun. It sucks, it doesn't fit the set, and Axl can't sing it.

Slither had the potential to be awesome but Axl sounds like a dying Mickey Mouse on the chorus and that brings the whole thing down. He sounds good on the verses but the song nosedives at 'Yeeeaaa, hea' comes tha waaaa-taaaa'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I really liked the Black Hole Sun cover when I’ve heard it, the others I don’t mind too much, there’s only one I really hate and that is Wichita Lineman. 

Wichita Lineman...I love it!

I feel good is awesome and I love The Seeker.

Hate Since I don't have you

Edited by Georgina Arriaga

I've always enjoyed their covers, though it's been a bit overkill the last few years. I still think Sailing is the best they ever did though. Finck's playing and Axl's voice were just absolutely out of this world from the London show. I'd love to think they recorded that in the studio but I highly doubt it, unfortunately. 

I think they were much better at them back in the day and often they did them better than the originals..

Mama Kin, Nice Boys, Live and Let Die, The Acoustic Jumpin Jack Flash, Rosie at the Marquee, It's alright and the classic live versions of Knockin On Heavens Door were all fucking Money..  I never liked Sympathy for the devil... It was too over produced and Axl's take was kind of cartoonish.. 

These days it is a mixed back... Knocking On Heavens Door went from one of their best live songs to crap... I think that is continuation of the CD era version? Rosie is ok but not close to as good as that Marquee version.. I didn't like the original Black Hole Sun and Guns version is worse.. I feel good had potential but was a mess.  Most people hate it but I actually like the Seeker..  I thought Wichita Lineman was pretty cool though I tried to watch it the other day and was annoyed by Richard's obnoxiously loud solo.. Wish You Were Here is boring as hell..

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 2

They've been very good at covering other artists songs since the beginning and Ive enjoyed them more often than not. The problem probably has been that they have had too many covers in the set recently, and it sorta soured what used to be a cool thing to have a cover or 3 in the set. 

Dust in the Wind back in the day was great I wish they'd do that again, as was Live and Let Die, Mama Kin, Nice Boys. The short covers they did as intro's to songs were really cool as well(Wild Horses, Only Women Bleed, etc)

Currently, The Seeker is probably the best song they cover since they always sound really good doing it. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Wish You Were Here is boring as hell..

I agree... but it's gotten a good reaction at all the shows I've been to (and was actually pretty cool the first time I heard them play it). WYWH is better than Layla but I'd be fine with not hearing either of them ever again... they've had (and could still have) way better intro's for November Rain.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, adamsapple said:

I think they did too many covers in recent years, but still I enjoy a good cover every once in a while.

How about you? Should they drop covers, play even more or just try different ones?

Of the covers they did, my favourite is "Don't Let It Bring You Down", originally by Neil Young, such a good song.

Least favourite? "Black Hole Sun", nice tribute to Chris Cornell and all, but not very creative. I think most of their covers are way too close to the original. Would love to see them give a great and perhaps lesser known song a GNR treatment. Any ideas?

I agree. I'm a huge Soundgarden fan and even with Axl's current voice, he could do justice to plenty of different SG other than BHS. 

The stripped down version of KOHD from '87-'88, Nice Boys, Dust In the Wind was brilliant, same with It's Alright-Axl just knows how to sing those songs with such tender sincerity. I like the '91 versions of Live and Let Die, like the version provided on the LALD single. From there i have always thought Black Leather and Since i Don't have you were the best on TSI by far. Attitude wasn't bad either! Kind of wish Mama kin and Nice Boys were recorded for TSI, they'd sound great with the huge production and recording process. As far as recently, The Seeker is good, Axl just sounds great on it! I reallllllly liked the instrumental jam of Another Brick in the Wall, and of course the cover of Sailing! Everything else, meh

As usual, it’s not black or white. Some of them are cool – when Axl’s in a good shape, I could have the AC/DC stuff any time. On the other hand, I hope next time we won’t be hearing of any of the new cover tunes they played during NITL, especially The Seeker and BHS. No point in playing it any longer anyway. And I don’t need four-hour shows just for the sake of it either. 
Also, they have "their own" covers that will do – like Nice Boys or something from TSI with Axl on vocals. Plus things like Shadow of Your Love, which is generally awesome (not a cover) and god knows how many more gems like this they have in the drawers. 
And I hope "the new album" won’t contain any covers. I think they’ve already covered that...

Edited by jamillos

9 hours ago, adamsapple said:

I think they did too many covers in recent years, but still I enjoy a good cover every once in a while.

How about you? Should they drop covers, play even more or just try different ones?

Of the covers they did, my favourite is "Don't Let It Bring You Down", originally by Neil Young, such a good song.

Least favourite? "Black Hole Sun", nice tribute to Chris Cornell and all, but not very creative. I think most of their covers are way too close to the original. Would love to see them give a great and perhaps lesser known song a GNR treatment. Any ideas?

It's Alright and Dust In The Wind were great. I liked Dead Flowers too. Then there's the amazing rendition of Sailing from London 2006. Jumpin Jack Flash and Heartbreak Hotel of course. Tie Your Mother Down. Train Kept A Rollin... Rosie, Riff Raff. I must admit I really liked Black Hole Sun and The Seeker too. And that's all stuff that didn't end up on albums. I'd say GnR is pretty damn good at covers. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

As far as covers on the NITL tour, Wichita Lineman is definitely my favourite (though Live And Let Die was surprisingly awesome at those Vegas 2016 shows!). I Feel Good was kinda cool when I saw them play it, overall it's kinda boring but Axl sounded good on it.

My least favourite is definitely Black Hole Sun. It sucks, it doesn't fit the set, and Axl can't sing it.

Slither had the potential to be awesome but Axl sounds like a dying Mickey Mouse on the chorus and that brings the whole thing down. He sounds good on the verses but the song nosedives at 'Yeeeaaa, hea' comes tha waaaa-taaaa'.

Oh yeah Axl murders Slither at the 'hear comes the water part'. It's only good when the crowd drowns him out. The band sound awesome doing Slither. 

I must say Wichita is awful. Axl sings it well but it's a real concert killer. It didn't go down too well in Europe 

The Seeker is my favourite. Really gets the crowd going at the end