Amanda Bynes checked back into rehab facility after 'relapse' following return to public eye

Sosso

Amanda Bynes is back in a mental health facility.

The actress, who retreated from the public eye after a breakdown in 2014, checked into a rehab facility in January. A source close to Bynes tells PEOPLE that she had a “relapse” and is getting help and treatment from mental health professionals and addiction counselors for drug addiction and mental health issues.

The source says Bynes has been struggling again since the end of last year, when she stepped back into the public eye and began pursuing work in Hollywood again.

Bynes opened up about her previous mental struggles in a November cover story for Paper. In the interview, the She’s the Man actress detailed how her drug use led to the spiral, explaining she began using drugs at 16 and smoked marijuana for the first time.

“Later on it progressed to doing molly and ecstasy,” she admitted. “[I tried] cocaine three times but I never got high from cocaine. I never liked it. It was never my drug of choice.”

While she didn’t use cocaine, Bynes did say she regularly got high on another drug: “I definitely abused Adderall.”

Her Adderall use led to her dropping out of the movie Hall Pass, where she remembered being “scatterbrained” from taking the pills. But the real breaking point came after seeing herself in the Emma Stone film Easy A. Bynes recalled being so alarmed by her appearance in the film, which she viewed negatively, that it convinced her to quit acting on the spot.

“I literally couldn’t stand my appearance in that movie and I didn’t like my performance. I was absolutely convinced I needed to stop acting after seeing it,” Bynes explained. “I was high on marijuana when I saw that but for some reason, it really started to affect me. I don’t know if it was a drug-induced psychosis or what, but it affected my brain in a different way than it affects other people. It absolutely changed my perception of things.”

She went on to have several brushes with the law — including two hit-and-run charges in 2012 and a DUI arrest (though all three charges were ultimately dropped) — she retreated from the spotlight completely and her mom Lynn was named conservator over her “person”, which includes health and medical decision-making, in 2014.

https://ew.com/celebrity/2019/03/01/amanda-bynes-returns-rehab-after-relapse/

13 minutes ago, soon said:

I hope she will get the help she needs. Maybe just quit public life? I dunno. 

She was such a talented actress and totally hilarious in TV shows like All That, The Amanda Show and What I Like About You. It's absolutely devastating when such a talent is wasted for nothing. 

3 minutes ago, Sosso said:

She was such a talented actress and totally hilarious in TV shows like All That, The Amanda Show and What I Like About You. It's absolutely devastating when such a talent is wasted for nothing. 

Yeah. I hope that it can work for her to be clean, actively managing her care needs and performing. Im all for it, if possible!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, soon said:

Yeah. I hope that it can work for her to be clean, actively managing her care needs and performing. Im all for it, if possible!

980x.jpg

She went through a lot of breakdowns during the last couple of years and it was great to see her smile like that again in the picture above. I hope that she comes back to mental health again as soon as possible. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

I remember many years ago when Lindsay Lohan was the poster-child for bad behavior and ruined teenage stardom, some magazine or newspaper ran an article on Amanda Bynes.

It was a counter-point to Lindsay, talking about how she is such a bad example for teenage girls. The article went on to shine a spotlight on Amanda Bynes and how she should be the actress girls aspire to be. Of course, nothing was known of Amanda Bynes problems back then - it suggested she was totally drug free and a sweet responsible young girl. A role model!

Didnt take more than a couple years for that article to be totally wrong. I always wondered if her agent wrote it.