The Lateness of the Use Your Illusion Tour Shows

4 hours ago, RNRS said:

Yeah, and people were upset about the late shows back then as well. There were plenty of curfews back then as well, it's not something of the last few years. The band started late back then but not 1 at night kind of late like Axl did on several shows during the Chinese Democracy tours.

I've never felt walking out late after a show adds to anything other than frustration as to how to get home and how to make it to work the next day without feeling absolutely fucked. It's irresponsible to do so, there's more to life than see Guns N' Roses and it's not "the 11 o' clock news".

idk man i cant disagree with your point of view, youre entitled to your opinion, i just dont share it... when i buy tickets to gnr, i book the next day off and if i cant, well im prepared to deal with the consequences, or i just plain dont go... to get home well, ill usually walk a bit and get a cab seeing as how thats next to impossible right outside the venue... and when i say it added to the experience well i used past tense because i was referring to the whole "most dangerous band" aspect which simply doesnt exist anymore. fair enough?

13 hours ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

sorry for all of those that dont agree and that wanna be home on time to watch the 11 oclock news

I mean to be fair, I would dismiss those who don't want to wait potentially 3 hours standing around in a venue for a show that was advertised as around a particular time, to be boring people who just wanna be home for the news! Lol for me I am glad Axl got his stuff together, to me going on stage that late for no real good reason is less "most dangerous band in the world" and more "most annoying band in the word".  Whatever Axl had to do to adjust his internal "performer clock" these past few years thank heavens for that!  

I love mystery, the mystique of rock stars and their eccentricities as much as anyone else, but those late starts provided a negative consequence to pretty much everyone involved.  The venue, the band, the attendees, etc.

Edited by WhazUp

2 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I mean to be fair, I would dismiss those who don't want to wait potentially 3 hours standing around in a venue for a show that was advertised as around a particular time, to be boring people who just wanna be home for the news! Lol for me I am glad Axl got his stuff together, to me going on stage that late for no real good reason is less "most dangerous band in the world" and more "most annoying band in the word".  Whatever Axl had to do to adjust his internal "performer clock" these past few years thank heavens for that!  

i know im probably in the minority here when i say i didnt mind it, and that i actually kinda enjoyed it... gave me time to chat with other gnr fans (something i dont get to do every day) and i was able to pound back a few extra brews... that was actually not always a good thing cuz yeah, after a 3 hour wait and a 3 hour show i was pretty fuckin hammered lol recipe for disaster

but yeah the 11 oclock news thing was a joke/exaggeration... and i dont think it made them anymore dangerous per say but it did add to the mystique imo and it was a little badass of them/him... i know some really feel it was disrespectful to the fans but i kinda look at it like going to see your favorite comedian and getting heckled... wouldnt make me appreciate the show any less if he made fun of how ugly i was lol but then again maybe thats just me trying to make the best out of a bad situation :shrugs:

59 minutes ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

when i buy tickets to gnr, i book the next day off and if i cant, well im prepared to deal with the consequences, or i just plain dont go...

I do this too, but it's unreasonable to expect 10,000+ people to do the same. I enjoyed the shows that started between 10 PM and midnight, I didn't care about the late start times because I expected them, but we're definitely in the minority here...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I do this too, but it's unreasonable to expect 10,000+ people to do the same. I enjoyed the shows that started between 10 PM and midnight, I didn't care about the late start times because I expected them, but we're definitely in the minority here...

yup. kinda made it feel like a party instead of just a concert but i know that not everyone goes there for the same reason... and some people (many on this forum) line up at 6am to get the rail and dont drink or go to the bathroom all damn day, so yeah i can see where theyre comin from

• GNFNR 1

I have been to a show in which Rose arrived at approximately 11 pm and cannot contemplate how anyone can derive any amusement from the delay. It is not really rock n' roll or interesting. It is actually just really boring. There is really nothing to do but waste your money on overpriced rubbish lager and sort of mooch around, having conversations with your neighbour such as, ''when does Rose start then? He is dreadfully late, isn't he? Oh - I think I see something happening. Oh - it is only a roadie moving something''

The crowd tends to get angrier and drunker, and a fair number of them leave. It usually means the band are automatically fighting a bit of an uphill battle when they do arrive. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

4 hours ago, Hollywood Gunner said:

i know im probably in the minority here when i say i didnt mind it, and that i actually kinda enjoyed it... gave me time to chat with other gnr fans (something i dont get to do every day) and i was able to pound back a few extra brews... that was actually not always a good thing cuz yeah, after a 3 hour wait and a 3 hour show i was pretty fuckin hammered lol recipe for disaster

but yeah the 11 oclock news thing was a joke/exaggeration... and i dont think it made them anymore dangerous per say but it did add to the mystique imo and it was a little badass of them/him... i know some really feel it was disrespectful to the fans but i kinda look at it like going to see your favorite comedian and getting heckled... wouldnt make me appreciate the show any less if he made fun of how ugly i was lol but then again maybe thats just me trying to make the best out of a bad situation :shrugs:

The thing is, I don't go to concerts to chat with other fants, drink expensive overpriced lager and then wait 3 hours. I've also no idea in which universe heckling a comedian is funny? If anything, Axl's supposed to be the one to get heckled I reckon? I mean no disrespect, but I just don't understand it. I've no idea how you can justify the lateness in any other way other than saying it's disrespectful. If I show up late for work I can't go out and say everyone "I'm doing it for the mystique and aren't I badass?" :)

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RNRS said:

The thing is, I don't go to concerts to chat with other fants, drink expensive overpriced lager and then wait 3 hours. I've also no idea in which universe heckling a comedian is funny? If anything, Axl's supposed to be the one to get heckled I reckon? I mean no disrespect, but I just don't understand it. I've no idea how you can justify the lateness in any other way other than saying it's disrespectful. If I show up late for work I can't go out and say everyone "I'm doing it for the mystique and aren't I badass?" :)

Man, I think you could pull it off, but you have to really own it when you say it. Really sell the badass part, make them believe it.😄

6 hours ago, RNRS said:

The thing is, I don't go to concerts to chat with other fants, drink expensive overpriced lager and then wait 3 hours.

like i said, not everyone goes for the same reason... to each his own... i never really went there with any expectations except to have a good time and i always did... whether it was one hour late or 3, i was just thankful if the gig wasnt cancelled lol now, that i think we can agree on, walking off stage was disrespectful, and selfish.

Personally I just think it was Axl being a diva and all the psychological reasons he gave were BS.  When I saw the UYI tour on 12/31/91 in Miami, he managed to start the show early enough so that midnight happened during PC and they could count down to new years.

Funny that the one UYI show I attended started pretty much on time but both NITL shows I attended were late.  Orlando was an extra 45 minutes or so between the opener and GNR (I think that Axl and Duff were doing an interview) and Miami was even longer.  I think that they delayed Miami on purpose because the traffic was so bad around the stadium that a sold out show was still half empty an hour after the opening act finished.  My google map showed dark red on all of the streets within a mile of the stadium.

21 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

Personally I just think it was Axl being a diva and all the psychological reasons he gave were BS.  When I saw the UYI tour on 12/31/91 in Miami, he managed to start the show early enough so that midnight happened during PC and they could count down to new years.

Funny that the one UYI show I attended started pretty much on time but both NITL shows I attended were late.  Orlando was an extra 45 minutes or so between the opener and GNR (I think that Axl and Duff were doing an interview) and Miami was even longer.  I think that they delayed Miami on purpose because the traffic was so bad around the stadium that a sold out show was still half empty an hour after the opening act finished.  My google map showed dark red on all of the streets within a mile of the stadium.

It seems I remember MTV airing a few songs from that Miami show on new year's eve.

11 hours ago, lame ass security said:

It seems I remember MTV airing a few songs from that Miami show on new year's eve.

For sure one, I think YCBM.  I remember Axl announcing that MTV would be joining and for the crowd to scream when they went live.

• Like 1