Phil Lewis talks about GN'R reunion

Think Guns should challenge themselves to make as much music & release as much as they did from 1987-1993. With lots of already recorded stuff, why not release things in constitutive years or another double album.  

Edited by Edward Nygma
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 3:35 PM, Sosso said:

"As much as I love GUNS N' ROSES' reunion, and I'm happy it makes a lot of people happy, where's the new music? It's, like, 'Appetite For Destruction' is a great record, but it was a long time ago. That was 30-something years ago..."

First off, LMFAO over this clown mocking GN'R -- who produced more memorable music in that one album than LA Guns ever did no matter how many filler albums they put out.

Secondly, someone should tell him that GN'R released 4 other original albums besides AFD. He might want to check into it.

Thirdly, whether some fans like it or not, there's no guideline or rule that says a band has to create new music all the time. Last I checked, 'The Who' has released only one album since 1982 and they're still touring.

Lastly, this band just got back together (sort of) and toured as a nostalgia act for only 2 years. Yet people are already breaking their balls? Seriously? The Stones, the Who and countless others have been doing it for much, much longer. Ridiculous.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, thunderram said:

First off, LMFAO over this clown mocking GN'R -- who produced more memorable music in that one album than LA Guns ever did no matter how many filler albums they put out.

I really like their recent work. I listen to it more then the GNR mega hits like NR, DC, PC, LALD :shrugs:

40 minutes ago, thunderram said:

Secondly, someone should tell him that GN'R released 4 other original albums besides AFD. He might want to check into it.

I believe he was speaking to the AFD heavy set lists?

41 minutes ago, thunderram said:

Thirdly, whether some fans like it or not, there's no guideline or rule that says a band has to create new music all the time. Last I checked, 'The Who' has released only one album since 1982 and they're still touring.

The Who are in studio recording a new album as we speak

43 minutes ago, thunderram said:

Lastly, this band just got back together (sort of) and toured as a nostalgia act for only 2 years. Yet people are already breaking their balls? Seriously? The Stones, the Who and countless others have been doing it for much, much longer. Ridiculous.

A lot of regrouped bands prioritize new music before the Nostalgia tour. LA Guns is putting gout vital new content after regrouping. GNR apparently thought that they themselves would fuck up and be childish all over again and just hit the road for the money before it all fell apart.

I dunno, I dont feel passionately about any of it. But LA Guns are doing everything that GNR should be doing/ should have done, imo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2019 at 11:32 AM, soon said:

The Who are in studio recording a new album as we speak

Good for them. Still doesn't change the fact I stated.

A lot of regrouped bands prioritize new music before the Nostalgia tour.

And a lot of them don't. So what? There's no hard and fast rule on how a band or any type of artist must operate. If you were an independent business owner, would you want anybody telling you how to run your business or what type of work you must do? It's up to them, nobody else. You don't have to like it. But comparing them to other independent artists that operate how they want to is apples and oranges. It's not relevant. If it was, then all these artist would do the exact same things and pump out the same type of music. But they don't.

LA Guns is putting gout vital new content after regrouping.

LA Guns and 'vital' in the same sentence is laughable. LA Guns can't have a nostalgia tour on the level of GN'R because they've never been relevant like GN'R -- even when some of GN'R's members were part of the band. They don't have the catalogue, the hits, the reputation, the popularity -- none of it. If they did, they'd likely be doing something similar. But they don't. Hence they are creating new music that will appeal to a very small niche crowd. Great for them and whomever likes them.

But LA Guns are doing everything that GNR should be doing/ should have done, imo

According to you. But you and all these other keyboard warriors aren't the authority on what GN'R 'should' be doing. The band members are. You (we) are just fans. IDK why many don't seem to grasp that point. I mean, I liked Star Wars all my life too and hated what they've done with the latest movies. What I would have preferred them to do doesn't matter. In retrospect, it could be argued that not making more movies might have been better than effing up the story line for a large faction of fans. But Disney didn't care and continues to pocket billions. And they have every right to. They own it.

Same goes for GN'R. They've earned the right to do what 'they' want. SLASH is making new music on his own and so is DUFF. If AXL and those two want to make new music, they will. If they can't make it work or just don't want to, that's on them. But they don't owe anybody anything.

I'd like to hear new music too. It sounds like it could be a possibility. But if they don't ever get to it, c'est la vie. Internet nerds claiming that they 'have to' or 'should' are narcissistic and naive.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, thunderram said:

LA Guns and 'vital' in the same sentence is laughable. LA Guns can't have a nostalgia tour on the level of GN'R because they've never been relevant like GN'R -- even when some of GN'R's members were part of the band. 

I don't know how familiar you are with their reunion album "The Missing Peace", but this album is fantastic. The lead single "Speed" has one of the best riffs and guitar solos in decades. 

They don't have the catalogue, the hits, the reputation, the popularity -- none of it. If they did, they'd likely be doing something similar. But they don't. Hence they are creating new music that will appeal to a very small niche crowd. Great for them and whomever likes them.

I don't know how familiar you are with their discography, but your assumption is laughable. I would consider The Ballad of Jane, Rip and Tear, Sex Action, Malaria, Electric Gypsy, Killing Machine, Never Enough, Over the Edge, Kiss My Love Goodbye, Here It Comes as classics from the band. 

Edited by Sosso

Yessir, it does.

And a lot of them don't. So what? There's no hard and fast rule on how a band or any type of artist must operate. If you were an independent business owner, would you want anybody telling you how to run your business or what type of work you must do? It's up to them, nobody else. You don't have to like it. But comparing them to other independent artists that operate how they want to is apples and oranges. It's not relevant. If it was, then all these artist would do the exact same things and pump out the same type of music. But they don't.

LA Guns and 'vital' in the same sentence is laughable. LA Guns can't have a nostalgia tour on the level of GN'R because they've never been relevant like GN'R -- even when some of GN'R's members were part of the band. They don't have the catalogue, the hits, the reputation, the popularity -- none of it. If they did, they'd likely be doing something similar. But they don't. Hence they are creating new music that will appeal to a very small niche crowd. Great for them and whomever likes them.

According to you. But you and all these other keyboard warriors aren't the authority on what GN'R 'should' be doing. The band members are. You (we) are just fans. IDK why many don't seem to grasp that point. I mean, I liked Star Wars all my life too and hated what they've done with the latest movies. What I would have preferred them to do doesn't matter. In retrospect, it could be argued that not making more movies might have been better than effing up the story line for a large faction of fans. But Disney didn't care and continues to pocket billions. And they have every right to. They own it.

Same goes for GN'R. They've earned the right to do what 'they' want. SLASH is making new music on his own and so is DUFF. If AXL and those two want to make new music, they will. If they can't make it work or just don't want to, that's on them. But they don't owe anybody anything.

I'd like to hear new music too. It sounds like it could be a possibility. But if they don't ever get to it, c'est la vie. Internet nerds claiming that they 'have to' or 'should' are narcissistic and naive.

Did Tracii and Phil drop a deuce on your dinner or something?

Also, prolly avoid calling other people "keyboard warriors" as part of such a sizeable and opinionated post :) 

• Like 1

Let's get something straight here - fact is that Guns are a living legend kind of band (like the Stones) already - actually they do not need to put out anymore new music ever and would always be able to tour indefinitely the world with their current catalogue. They've earned it - because they're that good. Respect for that.

This doesn't mean that we're not gonna have a new album and music coming - but that music will only be relevant to a very small percentage of Gn'R causal fans out there. Everyone else will always want to hear just the 'greatest hits'.  

Edited by trqster
  • Like 3