Captain Marvel

ZoSoRose

She also had a ticket stub for a Guns N’ Roses show.

I enjoyed it and thought it was a nice film for young girls looking for a strong female super hero. 

It did suffer a bit by being an origin story. Follows the same pattern where most of the movie is taken up by how they became the titled character. It’s really only the last 20 percent of the movie where the audience gets to see them in full force. 

• Like 1

I thought the first portion when she wasnt on earth was awesome. Would have liked more of that.

Supporting cast was great, though. I thought her friend and friends daughter, and the Skrull were good and having Samuel L back in a major role was nice to see. There we're a few scenes in particular I really liked and Brie Larson has a lot of promise as the character. Another casting win for Marvel and I think shes going to fit in really well with The Avengers 

Edited by ZoSoRose

I appreciated it was more of a sci-fi film, than a superhero tentpole. It touched upon that at the end, but it was more like JJ Abrams' Star Trek than it was most of the other Marvel films.

Marvel has been smart about shaking up the formula for these recent films. The last Thor was a hoot - it had really great spirit and it was basically Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome. I like to see them drawing from other conventions.

• Like 2

On 11/03/2019 at 6:51 PM, ZoSoRose said:

I thought the first portion when she wasnt on earth was awesome. Would have liked more of that.

Supporting cast was great, though. I thought her friend and friends daughter, and the Skrull were good and having Samuel L back in a major role was nice to see. There we're a few scenes in particular I really liked and Brie Larson has a lot of promise as the character. Another casting win for Marvel and I think shes going to fit in really well with The Avengers 

How were the de-aging effects on Sam Jackson? Looks pretty good in the trailers but these things have to be pretty perfect to work for the length of a full movie. 

On 2019-03-12 at 5:11 PM, Dazey said:

How were the de-aging effects on Sam Jackson? Looks pretty good in the trailers but these things have to be pretty perfect to work for the length of a full movie. 

It looked well done to me.  A sign that it worked is that after the initial shock of seeing a younger Jackson you kind of forget about it.  By the end of the movie you almost forget that Jackson really isn't that age.  

On 2019-03-10 at 12:05 AM, ZoSoRose said:

Did anyone catch the not so subtle GNR references?

It's a shame they didn't use WTTJ for the final fight scene.  Although it's kind of become a cliche since many other movies have done it, it would have worked well considering all of the GNR referencing earlier in the movie.  That said, WTTJ is consider an 80s tune and I guess it would have clashed with the 90s retro theme.  

15 hours ago, downzy said:

It looked well done to me.  A sign that it worked is that after the initial shock of seeing a younger Jackson you kind of forget about it.  By the end of the movie you almost forget that Jackson really isn't that age.  

It's a shame they didn't use WTTJ for the final fight scene.  Although it's kind of become a cliche since many other movies have done it, it would have worked well considering all of the GNR referencing earlier in the movie.  That said, WTTJ is consider an 80s tune and I guess it would have clashed with the 90s retro theme.  

I somewhat agree, but they wanted songs obviously from the 90’s. I don’t think UYI songs are considered 90’s songs.

13 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I somewhat agree, but they wanted songs obviously from the 90’s. I don’t think UYI songs are considered 90’s songs.

YCBM isn’t considered a 90s song? Wasn’t it part of what’s arguably considered the biggest movie of the 90s?

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

YCBM isn’t considered a 90s song? Wasn’t it part of what’s arguably considered the biggest movie of the 90s?

Probably an argument against its inclusion to be fair. That’s like using Eye of the Tiger in a movie that isn’t Rocky 3. It’s just wrong. :D 

• Like 1

One issue is she disappeared in '89, hence she lwouldn't have been familiar with anything from the Illusion albums.  I think the movie takes place in '95.  Would be funny if the character listens to the Illusion albums and wonders when the next album comes out.  

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, downzy said:

One issue is she disappeared in '89, hence she lwouldn't have been familiar with anything from the Illusion albums.  I think the movie takes place in '95.  Would be funny if the character listens to the Illusion albums and wonders when the next album comes out.  

I hate that 95 is considered retro. :lol: 

• Sad 1

I liked the movie but I was one of my least favorite in the MCU. I was more excited seeing the Appetite shirt and her dressed as Axl while my friend was more concerned about the NIN reference. I feel the origin story was the weakest part of the film, probably because I’ve heard it a couple times before.

Watched it last night with my son.  I enjoyed it.  Like others have said, seems to drag on a little for the first half of the movie but then picks up in the 2nd half ....

And the last 30 minutes or so are on par with the better Super Hero movies out there.

7.5/10