Waiting for Guns to Get on Stage, Personal Stories

The band started earlier than expected at the Expo Plaza in Hanover, but had to stop the show due to bad weather conditions. The fans deicided to have their own show, as they started to sing some very folksy songs :lol:

Edited by Sosso
  • Haha 1

Worst experience I've had waiting for them was Detroit, 2002. Mixmaster Mike was terrible / stupid. The cky got booed off the stage. Then the sound guy played the Audioslave album on repeat (SERIOUSLY!) until GN'R finally came out. The worst part about it was watching a 3/4 full Palace, slowly filter down to about 1/2 full by the time GN'R finally decided to take the stage.

Best experience I've had waiting for them, hands down was the first Hammerstein show in 2006. The room was electric through the whole wait. GN'R could've pulled a Vegas NYE stunt and came out at 4am if they wanted to that night. The energy in the room was off the charts. 

• Like 3

Dallas  July 8, 1991.  It was over 100 degrees and hot! A packed venue, heat and nothing for over 90 minutes. Females were pulling their shirts up for the cameras and that was being broadcast on monitors. Eventually I left where I was to get away near the concessions. A lot of people left. Then, GnR took the stage. With so many leaving and security being elsewhere, I was able to make my way to right in front of stage right. 

• Like 3

Wembley 91 i think they were about an hour late so we just got stoned. We had seats and i'd bought a rolling machine the previous week which came with proper cigarette tubes with a filter in so you could roll your own spliffs but they looked like a normal fag. I had rolled about 18 and put them in my empty Malborough box, so i sat on me seat smoking a 'normal' and got nicely stoned! The security and those around could smell that someone had a spliff going but never saw it. 

I think Wembley 91 had the most security i've ever seen at any concert before or after. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lame ass security said:

I've only been to three shows. One opening for Aerosmith, the riot show, and with Metallica in 92.  They were punctual each time, unbelievably. 

I've seen them 3 times, 9-3-1988 St. Louis Arena opening for Aerosmith.  1991 Riverport Riot.  1992 Gnr/Metallica/Body Count in Kansas City, MO  Arrowhead.  

Saw them 3 times. LA in 2011, Vegas in 2014, and SF in 2016. Didn't care about Steel Panther in 2011, so spent preshow getting beer and merch. 2014 I assumed the setlist would start with CD, so my brother and I took a smoke and drink break during that. 2016 we just enjoyed the sun of the Bay.

59 minutes ago, JONEZY said:

I've seen them 3 times, 9-3-1988 St. Louis Arena opening for Aerosmith.  1991 Riverport Riot.  1992 Gnr/Metallica/Body Count in Kansas City, MO  Arrowhead.  

Yep, I was at the Arrowhead show also.  Hetfield was still not playing the guitar due to his pyro accident.  Do you remember Axl having a camera on his cap saying they were filming a vid?

3 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Yep, I was at the Arrowhead show also.  Hetfield was still not playing the guitar due to his pyro accident.  Do you remember Axl having a camera on his cap saying they were filming a vid?

I sure do.  They opened with "Jungle".  Which was a surprise for me at least.  Figured they'd play that later in the set.  And the inflatable stuff was not on the sides of the stage, it was in the upper sections of the stadium behind the stage.

Edited by JONEZY
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, VampireSoul said:

Mine's more of a me problem than a GN'R problem.

Worst one was 2017, Finland.

Got about 2,5 hours of sleep the night before (too excited). We were at our summer house, which is 2 hours away from the venue, while our home is 5 hours away. Got up 6am, rowed off the island around 6:30am and started driving towards the venue. Parking was hard to figure out but finally parked, about 2 miles away from the venue. Walked to the venue and bought shirts, then started waiting in line for the gates to open. That took about 3 hours. Once inside we quickly wolfed down some food and went to wait for the band. At this point it was about 3pm, so had been on our feet and walking for 6 hours. Since it was the reunion show, I bought GC tickets and wanted to be as close as possible. We got second row. The 'floor' was a downward sloping metal thing, so sitting was not comfortable in any shape or form. Spent the next few hours sitting and standing in agony, until the opening acts came on, stood for them of course. Then began the wait for GN'R 😅 Husband was struggling at this point, so was I. We had a small water bottle to share between us as you couldn't bring more inside the circle. 

Then GN'R was an hour late 😭 I wasnt even surprised, cause it's just my luck lol. The excitement made forget about the pain, but once they passed the 3 hour mark, I wanted to amputate my feet. All worth it though! Don't think I'll do front row again haha. Then we walked back to the car, which we couldn't find, for about 3 miles and drove back to the cabin, I rowed back to the island in a thick fog, so just had to go by instinct. Once we got there, we had been awake and on our feet for 25 hours 😩

I attended that gig too.  When the band didn't show up on the stage on time, people around us started wondering if Axl had fallen back into his old habits. :P If I recall correctly, they started exactly one our later, it seemed like it was planned. Afterwards I heard/read somewhere, that the reason was, that they haven't taken into account how long the daylight lasts in middle of the summer in Northern Europe. Sun was shining brightly at 9 PM so they waited (because of the light show and fireworks wouldn't look so good otherwise) IMO this explanation makes sense, whether it's true or not. 

We weren't in the GC but pretty close to it, standing on a grass felt just fine. We were planning to arrive there earlier but we spend some time drinking downtown, so we came there  when the last opening act (The Darkness) was finishing their set, so we didn't have to wait that long and my feet were just tired, but not sore the next day. 

Edited by Fourteenbeers
  • Like 2