Jump to content
soon

Waiting for Guns to Get on Stage, Personal Stories

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

How do you play a nunchuck? like a martial arts nunchuck? 

Yes.... Was embarrassing.. Just not what the band I fell in love with was all about. 

20 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Are you kidding me? There is nothing "lame" about nunchucks at all. 

When the lead guitarist of "Guns N' Roses" is playing with them onstage during a concert it is lame..  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen GNR three times all in Ireland. The 2010 concert started out fine but some people from the left hand side of the venue started throwing bottles near and on the stage. Axl stopped the show and said very clearly that if one more thing was thrown onto the stage they'd leave. And well there was stuff thrown and he did. Someone from the promoters came onstage and asked us to be patient as they were trying to get axl to come back on stage. I think Phil lynots mother was back stage that night(at least that was the rumour I heard)He did eventually come back on and stood by the drum riser for the rest of the show and actually sounded good vocally because he wasn't running around. 

 

2012 he'd fallen in Russia the concert before and so wasn't that late if I remember rightly and wasn't running around and moving and to axl and the bands credit they gave a great performance and got a standing ovation from the top deck after November rain.

And slane with slash and duff back in the band needs no more explanation really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

Yes.... Was embarrassing.. Just not what the band I fell in love with was all about. 

When the lead guitarist of "Guns N' Roses" is playing with them onstage during a concert it is lame..  

When I first saw it on YT a couple of years back, I was just flabbergasted. But I have to admit I find it hilarious now. When I see it, I can't help but laugh out loud. It's too crazy for words.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tom-Ass I googled 'nunchuck guitar' after i posted... i thought maybe he had some sort of hybrid guitar that i'd never heard of :lol:

The first thing listed was a Bumblehead video, he was giving presents to the audience too :facepalm: 

So lucky i never saw that era :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

  Did the acid enhance the show?  

Hahahah It was so long ago. I do remember the Live and Let Die solo being a super cool moment with the crowd cheering and the red lights filling the venue during a peaking moment.. That few seconds is forever vividly etched in my brain. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, IrishgunnerII said:

I've seen GNR three times all in Ireland. The 2010 concert started out fine but some people from the left hand side of the venue started throwing bottles near and on the stage. Axl stopped the show and said very clearly that if one more thing was thrown onto the stage they'd leave. And well there was stuff thrown and he did. Someone from the promoters came onstage and asked us to be patient as they were trying to get axl to come back on stage. I think Phil lynots mother was back stage that night(at least that was the rumour I heard)He did eventually come back on and stood by the drum riser for the rest of the show and actually sounded good vocally because he wasn't running around. 

 

2012 he'd fallen in Russia the concert before and so wasn't that late if I remember rightly and wasn't running around and moving and to axl and the bands credit they gave a great performance and got a standing ovation from the top deck after November rain.

And slane with slash and duff back in the band needs no more explanation really.

Your show in 2010 was the infamous O2 arena gig right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, janrichmond said:

, he was giving presents to the audience too :facepalm: 

So lucky i never saw that era :lol:

hahah.. I almost mentioned him giving toys out to the audience too.. It was sooo bad.  Axl was good that night but other than that the show was like a bad joke.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

hahah.. I almost mentioned him giving toys out to the audience too.. It was sooo bad.  Axl was good that night but other than that the show was like a bad joke.. 

I wonder how many real fans could've been at the show instead of you. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching people fist fight, and all the booze being sold out in Toronto 2002!

The wait in 2006 was a long haul as well. Band didn't take the stage until 11:45pm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I started the St. Louis 2017 line at an incredibly ridiculous time in the morning only to end up front and center next to wfa/Walker

 

 

 

If you know, you know.

Edited by Black Sabbath
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Halifax 06. I went with one group of friends, met up with another group of friends, and were meeting with another group of friends, to pre-drink in our hotel. The pre-party ended when everyone realized the opening bands must be finishing and GNR were about to come on. 3/4 of the party left but the 4 friends that believed me stuck with me and we went down to the hotel bar to keep doing tequila shots. I timed it perfectly, we left the hotel on that "let's party" high, walked right into the concert with about 15 minutes before GNR showed up, but were able to get like 3 rows back on the floor because so many people were wandering around with no idea when they should come back. 

It was a good time. I called my sister from the show and was surprised to find her home at 1am on a Saturday (because it was actually Tuesday) and I do remember being checked by security for anything with spikes on it or anything Slash related. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Halifax 06. I went with one group of friends, met up with another group of friends, and were meeting with another group of friends, to pre-drink in our hotel. The pre-party ended when everyone realized the opening bands must be finishing and GNR were about to come on. 3/4 of the party left but the 4 friends that believed me stuck with me and we went down to the hotel bar to keep doing tequila shots. I timed it perfectly, we left the hotel on that "let's party" high, walked right into the concert with about 15 minutes before GNR showed up, but were able to get like 3 rows back on the floor because so many people were wandering around with no idea when they should come back. 

It was a good time. I called my sister from the show and was surprised to find her home at 1am on a Saturday (because it was actually Tuesday) and I do remember being checked by security for anything with spikes on it or anything Slash related. 

You did time that perfectly, lol.  I assume the hotel was really close to the arena?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

You did time that perfectly, lol.  I assume the hotel was really close to the arena?

Yes it was a 5 - 10 minute walk straight down the street. 

Many of us managed to get lost on the way back though because it was a good show lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gimpy Hewitt said:

Your show in 2010 was the infamous O2 arena gig right

Yes it was. DJ Ashba actually came out the back of the arena to talk to the fans who had gathered there after the gig. I mean he seemed a nice guy in fairness but them going off stage wasn't his fault. He said bottles full of piss were been thrown at the stage which probably wasn't nice but how they would actually know that I'm not sure but it what he said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

I started the St. Louis 2017 line at an incredibly ridiculous time in the morning only to end up front and center next to wfa/Walker

 

 

 

If you know, you know.

Did you spit on his neck?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worcester, MA 11/8/06. Guns didn't start until shortly after 11PM, and then Axl ranted about the sound guy trying to fuck him over. The audience, which probably wasn't more than 8,000 people, booed when he said that, but the rest of the show went off without a hitch. Didn't end until after 2AM.

 

Foxboro, MA 7/20/16. Lenny Kravitz's set went way longer than it was supposed to, and it took over 40 minutes to complete the stage changeover, so Guns didn't get on until after 9PM, and there was a curfew of 11PM. To their credit, they broke curfew and I think played until about 11:25. If memory serves me correctly, they did 24 songs. Fantastic show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My only story is from my first GNR show in Hannover 2017... A festival near Hannover was being cancelled for that day because of the storm warning, but GNR played.. Then the storm came, they went off the stage for 1,5 hours, and nobody knew if or when they would come back.. When they came back on many of the people thought they'd cut the set short, but they delivered a full set and even brought Angus out for two songs.. Great show! 

Before the concert I thought it would be smart to park my car outside of Hannover city and then take the tram to the expo plaza.. Well however when the concert finished at around 1am, there were no trams anymore until 4am and all the taxis seemed to be booked out... So I had the choice between waiting three hours in Hannover or walking about 8 kilometers.. I decided for the waiting and sat down in McDonald's. When I could finally take a tram at around 4am, I was up for 20 hours, had to do a 3,5 hour drive home, and had to work at 8.30 am.. So I reached my car at 4.30, and drove home without falling asleep thanks to Red Bull and a disgusting coffee from a petrol station.. 

I arrived home at 7.30, had one hour left to prepare for work, went to work from 8.30 - 2 pm.. At that time I was up for around 30 hours straight.. When I finished work I fell into bed and was sick for the next two weeks 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2019 at 2:32 PM, lame ass security said:

Damn, that is ridiculously late, even for Guns standards(at that time).  I'm surprised there were no curfew issues. 

I thought the same but I think so many people were drunk that they didn't want to have an riot. But by the time GNR hit the stage a lot of people were sleeping.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2019 at 5:59 PM, Sosso said:

I wonder how many real fans could've been at the show instead of you. 

True, I wasn't a NuGuns fan but tried to give them a shot. The show wasn't sold out so there was room for as many real NuGuns fans that wanted to be there.. Front section floor seats were on $60 bucks too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 12:51 AM, thunderram said:

Oakland 1992. After Metallica's set and a LONG wait --- this began to happen (see the video below; skip to around :55) and continued into GN'R's set. I was in the upper-level with a vantage point similar to the video. It was pure chaos. I remember a subsequent Oakland A's game was postponed due to the damage to the outfield. If you watch enough of the video, you'll see some fans using the tarp to protect themselves from being pelted by the sod.

 

 

This is great - can't believe I haven't seen this before.

  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2019 at 7:27 AM, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

Worcester, MA 11/8/06. Guns didn't start until shortly after 11PM, and then Axl ranted about the sound guy trying to fuck him over. The audience, which probably wasn't more than 8,000 people, booed when he said that, but the rest of the show went off without a hitch. Didn't end until after 2AM.

 

Foxboro, MA 7/20/16. Lenny Kravitz's set went way longer than it was supposed to, and it took over 40 minutes to complete the stage changeover, so Guns didn't get on until after 9PM, and there was a curfew of 11PM. To their credit, they broke curfew and I think played until about 11:25. If memory serves me correctly, they did 24 songs. Fantastic show.

I didn’t realize that the Lenny Kravitz set was that long. It was a great show, and the first time Slash played Catcher. It was kind of weird to think that my principal was in the audience with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2019 at 3:44 AM, Black Sabbath said:

I started the St. Louis 2017 line at an incredibly ridiculous time in the morning only to end up front and center next to wfa/Walker

 

 

 

If you know, you know.

I hope you smacked that little runt across the face. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wembley 2006 waiting around waiting for guns to hit the stage.

 

Started chatting up these 2 right sorts turn around to get a beer come back there sat there kissing ... Bunch of man haters ain't they? FFS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

91 la forum skid row finished up close to 9  it was almost 3 hours before guns took the stage I almost sold my ticket for the last show of the 4 nights I was so frustrated .I ended up going to the last show but didn’t walk in to Forum til past 10 caught one of the best concerts I’ve ever been to glad I didn’t give up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×