Drunk lady falls off stage after dancing with 'Elvis'

oldnews

As an Elvis fan, though a lot of it is hilairious and I'm as guilty as anyone in engaging in that shit, it kinda pains me that he's basically ended up this joke/caricature that doesn't really get the respect he deserves for kinda being, unwittingly, the creator of postwar youth culture.  That documentary that came out recently tried to go some ways to contextualising him and claiming back that place for him which I thought was a good thing but he's kind of a cultural joke now.  Shame.  Elvis was a bad motherfucker. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

As an Elvis fan, though a lot of it is hilairious and I'm as guilty as anyone in engaging in that shit, it kinda pains me that he's basically ended up this joke/caricature that doesn't really get the respect he deserves for kinda being, unwittingly, the creator of postwar youth culture.  That documentary that came out recently tried to go some ways to contextualising him and claiming back that place for him which I thought was a good thing but he's kind of a cultural joke now.  Shame.  Elvis was a bad motherfucker. 

What's the documentary please? 

A few of my favourite American musicians have always looked to Elvis as a hero. Meanwhile, I've met others who discount him as a poser, closer to a member of One Direction than the real deal.

The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. I'd like to find out more for myself. 

10 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

A few of my favourite American musicians have always looked to Elvis as a hero. Meanwhile, I've met others who discount him as a poser, closer to a member of One Direction than the real deal.

The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. I'd like to find out more for myself. 

Its called The Searcher, its really good, it attempts to contextualise him and assess the musical aspect instead of the whole phenomenon bit, which is interesting in and of itself but its the former that has kinda been brushed over a bit.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

Those people you met that think Elvis was a poser and compared him to One Direction should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.😄   How could anyone who knows a modicum about music even justify saying that?  They think it sounds clever and cool to minimize the biggest cultural icon of the 20th century.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it's wrong.  Btw, I really liked Harry Styles' Sign of the Times.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

Your favourite American musicians are the ones who are correct. 

• Like 1

All 50's Rock n' roll and rockabilly is great

It was for as long as the proper hillbillies were at it.  People like Gene Vincent, Elvis, Jerry Lee, Duane Eddy.  It went downhill pretty quickly though, when the principles all started falling by the wayside cuz of their various woes things were over taken by Perry Como and shit like that. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

Len Reccomendations:

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

It was for as long as the proper hillbillies were at it.  People like Gene Vincent, Elvis, Jerry Lee, Duane Eddy.  It went downhill pretty quickly though, when the principles all started falling by the wayside cuz of their various woes things were over taken by Perry Como and shit like that. 

Very true, have you ever heard of Narvel Felts?  He was a rockabilly guy who had a lot of hits early on then in the 70s he had a big one with a cover of Drift Away.  Anyway, he lives in a small town near me and about a year ago I happen to meet him in a dentist's office of all places.  It was such a trip talking him to him about Elvis and all of the those guys.  He had just gotten back from a rockabilly tribute concert in Vegas with Jerry Lee Lewis.  He had a few stories about The Killer.

5 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Very true, have you ever heard of Narvel Felts?  He was a rockabilly guy who had a lot of hits early on then in the 70s he had a big one with a cover of Drift Away.  Anyway, he lives in a small town near me and about a year ago I happen to meet him in a dentist's office of all places.  It was such a trip talking him to him about Elvis and all of the those guys.  He had just gotten back from a rockabilly tribute concert in Vegas with Jerry Lee Lewis.  He had a few stories about The Killer.

Shit, you met him?!  I always kinda put him more in the country category than rock n roll.  The Killer was a fuckin’ nutbag all unto himself, I tell ya what you wanna do, you wanna listen to Jerry Lee Lewis Live at the Star Club and when you’re done tell me if that shit ain’t the greatest live album you ever had, he was on fuckin’ fire that night.  He’s that good and that sharp that you can hear him berating the band between songs cuz they can’t keep up and you can hear him goin’ ‘PLAY THAT GU-TAR RIGHT BOY!’ :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut

25 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Shit, you met him?!  I always kinda put him more in the country category than rock n roll.  The Killer was a fuckin’ nutbag all unto himself, I tell ya what you wanna do, you wanna listen to Jerry Lee Lewis Live at the Star Club and when you’re done tell me if that shit ain’t the greatest live album you ever had, he was on fuckin’ fire that night.  He’s that good and that sharp that you can hear him berating the band between songs cuz they can’t keep up and you can hear him goin’ ‘PLAY THAT GU-TAR RIGHT BOY!’ :lol:

Man, Jerry Lee was the man and if truth be told probably more versatile than Elvis.  Music just oozed from his pores.  There's no telling the heights he could've reached if it wasn't for the marrying the cousin thing.😄 But he's had such an unbelievable career anyway, a true pioneer.  Yeah man, I met ole Narvel, he's such a gracious nice man.  I have to say it was a little sad also, he's getting up in years but he still plays his heart out.

15 hours ago, oldnews said:

It's a shame Jerry Lee Lewis is the rockabilly R. Kelly

Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran and Johnny Burnette are better IMO

The truth is a lot more of the guys from that era were fuckin' high school age girls than you might imagine, though marrying your 13 yr old cousin is particularly grim.  If I'm not mistaken weren't that shit legal in some southern states back in them days?  Not sure the bigamy aspect of that particular union was though :lol:  Jerry Lee was a nutter, if I'm not mistaken he turned up to Graceland pissed with a shooter once? :lol: 

On 3/18/2019 at 9:57 AM, Len Cnut said:

The truth is a lot more of the guys from that era were fuckin' high school age girls than you might imagine, though marrying your 13 yr old cousin is particularly grim.  If I'm not mistaken weren't that shit legal in some southern states back in them days?  Not sure the bigamy aspect of that particular union was though :lol:  Jerry Lee was a nutter, if I'm not mistaken he turned up to Graceland pissed with a shooter once? :lol: 

true yet Gene Vincent outdone him when he tried to shoot Gary Glitter (shame he missed)

Edited by oldnews

43 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I never heard that story!  Any particular reason or did the fuckin’ silver spacesuit shit just get on his tits? :lol:  

lol I think it was at a time when Vincent was paranoid that every man he laid eyes on was sleeping with his girlfriend, Glitter (then going under some other stage name and suited up like a fake Beatle) strutted around the hotel like he was the next big thing and Gene apparently fired several shots at him!, I'm guessing the lady would've been too old for Glitter but it woulda really changed history if one of those bullets hit the target

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

lol I think it was at a time when Vincent was paranoid that every man he laid eyes on was sleeping with his girlfriend, Glitter (then going under some other stage name and suited up like a fake Beatle) strutted around the hotel like he was the next big thing and Gene apparently fired several shots at him!, I'm guessing the lady would've been too old for Glitter but it woulda really changed history if one of those bullets hit the target

Yeah poor ol' Gene would've ended up doing porridge and we would've never found out what a cunt Glitter was.

• Like 2