Appetite for Distortion - Ep. 110 - Brain returns to talk Chinese Democracy, new music, and tennis

It was interesting that they started to feel like a band at the MSG show. It sucked that this band couldn't play more tours, because it was such a great line-up.

It's also funny that Brain shared his tour bus with Bucket and Mother Goose.  :lol:

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Sosso said:

It was interesting that they started to feel like a band at the MSG show. It sucked that this band couldn't play more tours, because it was such a great line-up.

It's also funny that Brain shared his tour bus with Bucket and Mother Goose.  :lol:

You don't remember the comments back then?  They were awful.  Circus show, people hated Bucket.  The guy was amazingly talented but people couldn't take the costume or the nunchucks.  Hated Paul.  Axl with his shirt off, his hair, his clothes.  You know, how dare he continue to call the band GNR.  There was nothing but bitching.  Fans/media never gave them a chance.  They couldn't take the lineup change no matter how talented the people were that Axl recruited for GNR.  

• GNFNR 1

6 hours ago, cineater said:

You don't remember the comments back then?  They were awful.  Circus show, people hated Bucket.  The guy was amazingly talented but people couldn't take the costume or the nunchucks.  Hated Paul.  Axl with his shirt off, his hair, his clothes.  You know, how dare he continue to call the band GNR.  There was nothing but bitching.  Fans/media never gave them a chance.  They couldn't take the lineup change no matter how talented the people were that Axl recruited for GNR.  

Oh, I remember some of the comments very well. I don't really cared about them, because I have my own opinion and don't have to rely on others. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

6 hours ago, Sosso said:

Oh, I remember some of the comments very well. I don't really cared about them, because I have my own opinion and don't have to rely on others. 

Yeah I didn't either.  I thought the show was fascinating.  You have to give Axl credit for being able to carry on in the face of so much criticism, all the fucking time.  He really is a great talent with a very interesting vision you don't see everyday.  Anyday of the week, all day long, he gets your attention.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, cineater said:

I will still say I didn't like Buckethead, but I gave him a chance back then because he was a part of Axl's vision for the new band.  I trusted Axl's musical judgement over my own.  It was really the same thing with the entire band.  I liked Robin in NIN, but I didn't like him for GNR.  BUT this was what Axl wanted so I went with it.  I realllllyyyy wanted to see that band release CD and tour on it to see what they were capable of.  Once the guys started dropping like flies and specifically when DJ entered the band I lost my curiosity with it all.  Only then did it become the Axl + Friends band to me.  Up until that point though I was all in on calling the band Guns N' Roses and I was eagerly anticipating CD. 

• Like 3

On March 17, 2019 at 11:49 AM, GNRfan001 said:

“Generals chicken” I about died laughing 

Yeah, that was wild after all the myth that name has spun! :lol: And how Axl figured it was a reference to Tommy! 

I take it he meant General Tso Chicken? Which ties it in nicely with the name Chinese Democracy since Tso's is a US-Chinese food creation.

Was interesting to learn that Brain was working with another group of outside writers. I dont think this group of contributors was known about before this interview?

• Like 2

Great interview, just finished listening. Was so glad he clarified about the 2002 shows being cancelled by Clear Channel. I remember that quite well, I had tickets to the next show after Philly, in Washington, DC, that was cancelled. I clearly remember them saying it was Clear Channel that cancelled the tour and never understood all the people blaming Axl for it unjustly. Brain is great, hopefully Melissa will come on the podcast 😊

• Like 1