Appetite for Distortion - Ep. 110 - Brain returns to talk Chinese Democracy, new music, and tennis

Finished the interview last night.  Congratulations on another great episode @Gambit83.  This might be my new favorite episode.  Brain is so entertaining.  That guy has so many stories and it feels like he never embellishes.  His stories about HOB Vegas 01-01-01 were incredible.  I hope he has been able to check out the video from that show and enjoyed it as much as all of us have.  I have my fingers crossed for you that you can get Melissa as it sounded like Brain was singing your praises to her.  If her favorite candy is Reeses Peanut Butter Cups I'll know she's my soulmate!

• GNFNR 1

On 20.3.2019 at 1:24 PM, kok said:

We fantasize about the General being some Axl epic masterpiece for 15 years and then we find out it is something Brain and his pal Merv pasted together in pro-tools...

I thought it was common knowledge among the fans that Brain has co-songwriting credits for this song. 

Edited by Sosso

AND LEADING US THROUGH THESE REHEARSALS, GENERAL TOMMY STINSON.

So The General predates RIOIII.  I still want to hear a good quality version, and that of Seven, but after years of mystery for them to be announced as sort of jokey sketches makes me wonder WHY the mystery? I assume they were worked and reworked and reworked again. Hope to see it soon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

i'm too lazy to listen can someone breakdown what was said about Seven and The General?

Brain: It’s funny because how ‘The General’ came about was we were supposed to, you know, this was like building up to that show. Everybody was like “Hey if anybody has songs or shit you can bring them in. So that song, ‘The General’ was a song that from when [inaudible] and [inaudible] and I, when I wasn’t doing Guns stuff would just jam in my living room type of thing. I had a pro tool setup, we were jamming, we were trying to come up with songs for Guns and we had this song called, well we called it ‘The General’ because we were eating general’s chicken. Yet, when I turned it in to Axl [Rose] he thought it was called ‘The General’ because I was making fun of Tommy [Stinson] and Tommy was kind of the band MD, he was the musical director when we would have rehearsals and Axl thought i was kind of poking fun at Tommy like a general. Like sort of a ‘hey we’re rehearsing at this time’ and that kind of shit. I was like ‘no dude, it’s because we ate general’s chicken.

[Brando laughs]

Brain: Yeah, it’s funny because you said ‘The General’ and it all comes back around because we were writing all these songs to try and turn in. Xtract is sort of this old school DJ type, he’s a bass player but he loves old school break beats and you know, cratedigger type of guy. So, the shit we were putting together was crazy. We were going ‘OK what sample should we find for Axl? Well he’s sort of like Julius Ceasar’ so we were trying to sample stuff that reflected that. We were looking for old school, crazy shit and I think we sampled Ben-Hur, chopped it up, cut it up and that became a jam, I think we called it ‘Seven’.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, lame ass security said:

Brain thinks Axl is "sort of like Julius Caesar", maybe that's where that Ides of March thing came from.  I always thought Axl had kind of a Napoleonic complex going on.😄

You mean for his short stature ❓😄

15 minutes ago, Ratam said:

You mean for his short stature ❓😄

Probably more because of his "me against the world" attitude.  I know that the Napoleonic complex is usually associated with vertically challenged people, lol, but Axl isn't really considered short. I think he's like 5'10".                                                               P.S.  I looked it up, he's 5'9".  About average height.

Edited by lame ass security
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Probably more because of his "me against the world" attitude.  I know that the Napoleonic complex is usually associated with vertically challenged people, lol, but Axl isn't really considered short. I think he's like 5'10".                                                               P.S.  I looked it up, he's 5'9".  About average height.

Maybe he look's more short when you see him next Duff, same as Slash too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Azifwekare said:

Wow, Brain is a pretty rad dude.

I would love to hear some of his 'weirdo shit' for GN'R. I would assume the original idea for The General with Xtrakd sounds a lot different to what we ended up hearing on the phone clip.

I'm even more curious about the Ben Hur samples in Seven. I love the film (and the book). I always thought that this song was connected to the film of the same name. 

Edited by Sosso

8 hours ago, Twinaleblood said:

Does he also talk about the remixes and whatever happened with the remix album?

He said thet he and Melissa did "6 or 7" remixes, Axl gave them permission to perform some at those halftime shows, and he and Melissa are hoping to go on tour and play more of them.

• Like 2

On 22/03/2019 at 1:25 PM, ZoSoRose said:

If The General ever comes out (it won't) it will probably have a different title, then. I guess that makes sense considering the lyrics

At the same time, stuff like Shackler's Revenge and Scraped have no apparent lyrical connection to their titles.

Assumed they were just working titles that stuck.

Certainly for SR, Bucket already played on a song with Bootsy Collins called "Shackler" so figured that instrumentally in some way, it was referencing that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bansidhe said:

At the same time, stuff like Shackler's Revenge and Scraped have no apparent lyrical connection to their titles.

Assumed they were just working titles that stuck.

Certainly for SR, Bucket already played on a song with Bootsy Collins called "Shackler" so figured that instrumentally in some way, it was referencing that.

The odd thing is, when pre-orders first went up on Best Buy's website, they had the 3 different covers (the bike, the hand, and the grenade) and Scraped was listed as "Scraped (Lies They Tell)"... wonder why they dropped the part of the title that actually fit the song? :lol:

There was also that leaked clip of the intro, I think it was called "Lies They Tell (Eric Cardoux(?) Mix)", it was like 45 seconds long and had the drums, it was just like the live version but I think it leaked in early 2009?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The odd thing is, when pre-orders first went up on Best Buy's website, they had the 3 different covers (the bike, the hand, and the grenade) and Scraped was listed as "Scraped (Lies They Tell)"... wonder why they dropped the part of the title that actually fit the song? :lol:

There was also that leaked clip of the intro, I think it was called "Lies They Tell (Eric Cardoux(?) Mix)", it was like 45 seconds long and had the drums, it was just like the live version but I think it leaked in early 2009?

Yeah, the French Eric mix. I think it was another case of the down-to-the-wire release: wonky booklet, one cover, different titles and sequencing.

I remember a bunch of board members claiming the clip was fake before it was played live in 2009. But they also claimed Better was fake when the short clips were leaked, and that the lyrics from Sorry were fake before full releases were made...