RIP Dick Dale

Eric Cantona

8 minutes ago, AslatIE said:

A legend by every means. He died aged 81.

Absolutely.   Most people associate him with surf music, which is cool, but he was a helluva player, period.  A lefty who truly played it upside down, heavy strings on bottom.  A lot people think that Jimi Hendrix played upside down but he didnt.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

One of the best of all time, no doubt. His tone and style were unmatched - really the first rock guitar virtuoso. Shame he’s so under appreciated - he’s one of my biggest influences. This one’s hit me pretty hard for sure. 

RIP Dick :no: 

• Like 1

Dick Dale was a fuckin' G.  There's a whole crop of these really singular really hard playing guitarist that were actually really innovative but not recognised for it until later, Dick Dale was one, Link Wray is another, Duane Eddy is yet another.  I've been really into Surf Music ever since I was younger and discovered Keith Moon was into Surf Music, thats kinda how I got my education in all that shit and @lame ass security is right, there was a lot more to Dale than that shit, though its not the worst thing in the world to be the king of.  I feel Ron Asheton has more to do with that tradition than anything else.

10 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Absolutely.   Most people associate him with surf music, which is cool, but he was a helluva player, period.  A lefty who truly played it upside down, heavy strings on bottom.  A lot people think that Jimi Hendrix played upside down but he didnt.

I don't think people claim Hendrix played upside down, just that he could play upside down, generally he played the shit strung backwards.

Edited by Len Cnut

8 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Dick Dale was a fuckin' G.  There's a whole crop of these really singular really hard playing guitarist that were actually really innovative but not recognised for it until later, Dick Dale was one, Link Wray is another, Duane Eddy is yet another.  I've been really into Surf Music ever since I was younger and discovered Keith Moon was into Surf Music, thats kinda how I got my education in all that shit and @lame ass security is right, there was a lot more to Dale than that shit, though its not the worst thing in the world to be the king of.  I feel Ron Asheton has more to do with that tradition than anything else.

I don't think people claim Hendrix played upside down, just that he could play upside down, generally he played the shit strung backwards.

Yeah, he just restrung it.  Ronnie Wood said he was jamming with Hendrix in a hotel room and he was playing right handed. Ronnie said he felt like just chucking it in then and there.😄

10 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Yeah, he just restrung it.  Ronnie Wood said he was jamming with Hendrix in a hotel room and he was playing right handed. Ronnie said he felt like just chucking it in then and there.😄

being a lefty I tried that re-stringing shit myself, its not just as simple as putting the shit backwards :lol:  My problem is i always try to do shit myself instead of using my brain and calling a professional.  First of all the grooves on the fuckin' nut don't fit when the strings are backwards.  Also, and this bit I'm still not sure of, does the pickup (that is the thingie that the strings go in on the other end right) work the same when the strings are in reverse? 

I snapped the fuckin' neck of a guitar once trying to do quarter turns with the wrench to adjust the action on it, the thing ended up looking like something you'd expect to find being played by one of the Master Musicians of fuckin' Joujouka.

5 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

being a lefty I tried that re-stringing shit myself, its not just as simple as putting the shit backwards :lol:  My problem is i always try to do shit myself instead of using my brain and calling a professional.  First of all the grooves on the fuckin' nut don't fit when the strings are backwards.  Also, and this bit I'm still not sure of, does the pickup (that is the thingie that the strings go in on the other end right) work the same when the strings are in reverse? 

I snapped the fuckin' neck of a guitar once trying to do quarter turns with the wrench to adjust the action on it, the thing ended up looking like something you'd expect to find being played by one of the Master Musicians of fuckin' Joujouka.

Well, I'm a musician and a lefty myself, I sing and write and play enough guitar to accompany with my writing.  I use a right handed acoustic and restring it.  That's a good question about the pickups, I'm not really sure about that myself.

12 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Well, I'm a musician and a lefty myself, I sing and write and play enough guitar to accompany with my writing.  I use a right handed acoustic and restring it.  That's a good question about the pickups, I'm not really sure about that myself.

Well fuck me, you of all people should know, its your game :lol: Isn't it a fuckin' bitch being lefty?  Worst mistake I made was learning lefty, I should've learned righty like Joe Strummer did, who was a natural lefty.  Then again he did say he hindered his ability to really grow and do more complex shit with it by virtue of learning righty cuz the shit just comes less natural. 

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Well fuck me, you of all people should know, its your game :lol: Isn't it a fuckin' bitch being lefty?  Worst mistake I made was learning lefty, I should've learned righty like Joe Strummer did, who was a natural lefty.  Then again he did say he hindered his ability to really grow and do more complex shit with it by virtue of learning righty cuz the shit just comes less natural. 

Lol, it really is a bitch, sometimes feel like a leper being a lefty.  I use a piece of crap acoustic right now with no pickups.  I had a nice Washburn but got the damn thing stolen at a gig.

9 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

RIP. He did shows right before his death I think.

He literally had to keep touring to stay alive - he had medical issues that weren’t covered by his health insurance, so his only option was to keep touring as much as possible. He’s said in interviews he’d have liked to retire a while back but it wasn’t possible. That said, you could tell he still genuinely loved playing live, and he still fucking ripped right up until the end. The last time I saw him was 2014, but he was still playing like he was in his prime. The total definition of someone who just genuinely loved making music. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

He literally had to keep touring to stay alive - he had medical issues that weren’t covered by his health insurance, so his only option was to keep touring as much as possible. He’s said in interviews he’d have liked to retire a while back but it wasn’t possible. That said, you could tell he still genuinely loved playing live, and he still fucking ripped right up until the end. The last time I saw him was 2014, but he was still playing like he was in his prime. The total definition of someone who just genuinely loved making music. 

Too bad he didn't live in Canada.