Axl Singing SCOM on a NYC street corner outside a karaoke bar

I have no clue who this guy is and the story it's hard to believe, but then I remember that Axl went on a clubbing spree in New York City, year 2006, going from club to club, getting drunk and stuff.... so it's plausible :shrugs:.... but only during that month and year.

Edited by killuridols
  • Like 1

Malcolm Gladwell is beyond credible.  Has written the Tipping Point and a bunch of other think piece best sellers and does a lot around sports and pop culture with Bill Simmons and others.  Very smart guy and maybe highly out of character (or perception of his character) for Axl but also shows more nuance to him than many recognize.  And agreed it would have been around the Hammerstein shows when he was in Page 6 almost weekly

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, soon said:

Sounds like good old Axl to me. Wish we could have heard how that ended.

Badly. Passers by would have moaned that his voice was bad and that they were furious that they had paid nothing but were still entitled to a top performance. And furious that Slash was nowhere to be found. Or something. 😂

Edited by DTJ80
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Why can I seriously picture Axl doing this? :lol: I totally believe it’s true. Don’t know who that Malcom guy is, though. He doesn’t seem to be someone who namedrops and lies to be more important.... just a gut feeling here. Also, Axl can be can be quite good natured, you know, sometimes.

So „Yay" from me. 

Edited by Tori72
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Crazyman said:

Malcolm Gladwell is a very famous/respected author - if he says he saw Axl singing SCOM on a street corner, then Axl was singing SCOM on a street corner. 

You are right, i read in Google his curriculum, and he is respeted, he was writter in NEW YORKER too.

10 hours ago, killuridols said:

I have no clue who this guy is and the story it's hard to believe, but then I remember that Axl went on a clubbing spree in New York City, year 2006, going from club to club, getting drunk and stuff.... so it's plausible :shrugs:.... but only during that month and year.

That sounds right. I finished reading Meet Me in the Bathroom by Lizzie Goodman last year.  It’s a book that chronicles NYC and its music scene in the late 90s and early 2000s (think Strokes, Interpol, Yeah Yeah Yeahs). Axl is mentioned showing up to some of these parties and events. Think Chinese Democracy is mentioned. 

It’s a great read for those who like music biopics (and NYC history)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As surreal as this must have been for Gladwell, imagine how surreal it must have been for your average joe passing by. 

"Hey, there's Malcolm Gladwell watching Axl Rose sing Sweet Child O'Mine outside a karaoke bar..."

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

was he dressed up like a homeless? :P

he wore at least 3 layers of clothing plus a hat during the NITL tour in the middle of a heatwave so probably yes.

Edited by donny
  • Haha 2