Why Faith No More Hated Opening For Guns N' Roses

If you guys remember Guns N' Roses had Faith No More open for them extensively in 1992 in Europe and then in the States during the Metallica tour. Faith No More talked a lot of trash about Axl and the scale of the tour in the press. That's what I explore today. It's funny even in the interviews you can tell the guys from Faith No More don't like GNR

• Thanks 1

Wasn't part of the story that Hetfield wanted Faith No More and Axl wanted Body Count to open (not sure if it's mentioned in the video). I also thought I read years later, oddly enough, that Slash had asked Mike Patton to front Velvet Revolver after Scott left, which Mike turned down

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ericstacey said:

Wasn't part of the story that Hetfield wanted Faith No More and Axl wanted Body Count to open (not sure if it's mentioned in the video). I also thought I read years later, oddly enough, that Slash had asked Mike Patton to front Velvet Revolver after Scott left, which Mike turned down

Axl loved Faith No More's music, afaik.
And yes, VR (or Slash) asked Mike Patton to be their singer, which is quite delusional I would say.:D

10 hours ago, Ericstacey said:

Wasn't part of the story that Hetfield wanted Faith No More and Axl wanted Body Count to open (not sure if it's mentioned in the video). 

No, it was about Motorhead and Body Count. When Faith No More left the tour to do their own theater tour, Axl wanted Body Count as the opening band. Hetfield didn't want them and wanted Motorhead, so Body Count opened some of the shows and Motorhead opened the rest (Body Count was banned from some of the shows because of "Cop Killer").

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Why do you think that was delusional?  I liked Scott but I don't think it was delusional to want Patton orginally. 

I think the original poster was referring to that It's pretty obvious that patton would never want to be the frontman of a band like velvet revolver. If you read/see some interviews with him (or fnm) it will become really obvious. Besides that- Patton's been asked about VR before and he pretty much said that he thinks they Were a joke. 

20 minutes ago, Homefuck said:

I think the original poster was referring to that It's pretty obvious that patton would never want to be the frontman of a band like velvet revolver. If you read/see some interviews with him (or fnm) it will become really obvious. Besides that- Patton's been asked about VR before and he pretty much said that he thinks they Were a joke. 

Yeah, I'm sure you're right, I thought about that after I posted.

4 hours ago, metallex78 said:

I love Faith No More, but Mike Patton is a pretentious unappreciative fuckwit. 

Axl was a big fan of FNM, and Mike did nothing but bag him out the whole time they opened for them.

Im sure i read in interviews in the late 80s either roddy or patton where into child pron.

8 hours ago, Homefuck said:

Yes, that's what I meant. Patton would never want to be associated with them. 

8 hours ago, Homefuck said:

Guns were seen in 1992/93 as a bloated big cliché rock band in the eyes of bands like Nirvana, Faith No More, ect..-it's different today. This is when Guns had the horn section, backup singers, piano ballad, ect. As far as VR, I just could not see Mike Patton singing Fall to Pieces or It's so easy on a nightly basis-it just seems like a bad fit. I would have liked to have heard what kind of music they made, tho.

On 3/22/2019 at 7:43 PM, Draguns said:

I'll never forget how Faith No More got booed off the stage during the GNR/Metallica tour at Giants Stadium. 

Yep. I was at the 2nd Giants Stadium show as a high schooler, and remember being pretty excited about seeing Faith No More. From the moment they got onstage though Patton acted like a giant bag of dicks, and the whole show was trash. Worst attitudes ever. Basically, only remember Patton saying something about wanting to dig Jimmy Hoffa’s corpse up, and make love to it, and a shitstorm of boos. Total train wreck.😂

On 3/22/2019 at 8:31 AM, sidman69 said:

If you guys remember Guns N' Roses had Faith No More open for them extensively in 1992 in Europe and then in the States during the Metallica tour. Faith No More talked a lot of trash about Axl and the scale of the tour in the press. That's what I explore today. It's funny even in the interviews you can tell the guys from Faith No More don't like GNR

First off, I'm a huge FNM fan. I met and interviewed Puffy Bordin at the Warfield in 1995 around the start of the KFDFFL tour. I also believe that Mike Patton is wildly underrated and one of the more well-rounded and gifted vocalists I've ever heard. They are/were a tremendous band. One of my favorites from the 90's.

That said, I've always felt FNM was full of shit when it came to their opinions on GN'R and AXL. First, FNM is the type of band (like Cobain and Nirvana) that loves to disassociate from the mainstream and anything considered popular. Mike Patton, especially, is a music snob and likes to dis a lot of contemporary bands. He really trashed Motherwolf not all that long ago. I get it, he's entitled to his own opinion on what he likes and what he doesn't like just like anyone else. But IMO this goes beyond that.

With regard to GN'R, there was the story about Patton and Roddy Bottom being 'sickened' one time when some of the GN'R band members and crew were watching an inebriated groupie perform oral sex on some other female groupie (like all rock bands don't have similar stories of debauchery & drug use). Yet Patton is the same guy that thinks it's hilarious and ok to shit in bottles that he expects others to use and piss in his own shoe then drink it. His definition of what's sickening differs from the norm.

We all know that GN'R is and always has been an easy target of criticism among their peers. A lot of these bands felt they were as good or better but just didn't reach the same level of success so it breeds 'haterism'.  And the ones that didn't care about the success hated GN'R because they were the most popular band in the world thus considered mainstream. That was always my gripe with Cobain, who at times even hated his own fans because it wasn't 'cool' to be so popular. Always hated that 'I'm too cool' and don't want to be associated with popularity stance.

That's why Metallica was so universally loved by most other rock/metal bands. Because, until the 'Black' album, they were never considered mainstream. They had never done a music video until 'And Justice'. So bands on the spectrum of Sepultura and Slayer and bands on the spectrum of Def Leppard and Poison could usually find middle ground and agree that Metallica was 'cool'. But even that changed once Metallica sold out in the minds of many and became mainstream.

FNM did take part in making some videos and even had a couple of mainstream hits but, on the whole, they never made mainstream music and were always a niche band. To this day, they still have that mindset. Mike Patton's music aside from FMN strays even further from the mainstream. In short, he's just a different cat. It's really no surprise at all that they've taken an anti-GN'R stance.

Even though GN'R is my all-time favorite band, it doesn't bother me in the least that FNM hates them. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of FNM's music -- which is fantastic IMO. They are also a great band to see live.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/22/2019 at 10:37 AM, lame ass security said:

Why do you think that was delusional?  I liked Scott but I don't think it was delusional to want Patton orginally. 

I might be wrong, but I think he means delusional from the standpoint that it was well-known that Mike Patton hated GN'R and their music. So what made SLASH believe Mike Patton would remotely entertain accepting that gig? Not only that, the vocal style and type of music Patton prefers doesn't at all fit in with what SLASH likes to do.

To defend SLASH, though, he likely had zero clue how Mike Patton felt about him and GN'R. SLASH largely was in his own world and didn't get involved in band politics or give a rats ass about a lot shit back in those days.

If anything, I think SLASH reaching out to Patton is ironic if nothing else.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 9:24 PM, metallex78 said:

I love Faith No More, but Mike Patton is a pretentious unappreciative fuckwit. 

Axl was a big fan of FNM, and Mike did nothing but bag him out the whole time they opened for them.

I hadn't read this before I replied, but, yeah, very true -- essentially for the reasons I laid out.

Love Patton as a vocalist and FNM as a band, but they are pretentious and self-absorbed.

It's kinda funny, but even though AXL has his own issues and has been a jerk at times -- he's never really been that way toward his peers sans the comments he made about Iron Maiden and Eagles of Death Metal. He was usually offering up support and praise to up and coming acts the likes of Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails and even NWA before they became known to the mainstream. Rarely was the appreciation reciprocated.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1

On 2019-03-28 at 10:43 AM, thunderram said:

With regard to GN'R, there was the story about Patton and Roddy Bottom being 'sickened' one time when some of the GN'R band members and crew were watching an inebriated groupie perform oral sex on some other female groupie (like all rock bands don't have similar stories of debauchery & drug use). Yet Patton is the same guy that thinks it's hilarious and ok to shit in bottles that he expects others to use and piss in his own shoe then drink it. His definition of what's sickening differs from the norm.

I think that they weren't sickened by the actual act but by that the "groupies" were taken advantage of and, by using "Kantian" terminology (sorry, I've been on a philosophical binge the last couple of years), were treated as means instead of ends with intrinsical value. It seems like Patton always has been fascinated by the obscure and (sometimes) disgusting aspects of human behavior, but at the same time he's also frowned upon the patriarchal structure of treating women like possessions for men to play with. I've always enjoyed FNM, and I think that they, intellectually, has always been leaps ahead of GNR. 

Edited by Homefuck

Mike Patton is not allowed to make fun of anyone ever after that utterly ridiculous performance he made on the very mainstream tv show Saturday night live. I remember laughing at the tv at how stupid he looked climbing up the wall toward the end of “Epic”. Not sure what he was trying to do there, look crazy? Wow, you’re crazy, man! Lol I always picture a crowd full of people calmly seated in the audience at snl, puzzled and shrugging their shoulders at each other. Anytime he makes fun of someone, they should just pull that video out on their phone, not say a word, and just hold it out in front of his face. 

Slash and Duff by their own admission used to have ''blowjob games'' with those girls pulled out of the crowd via the television screens: ''how many blowjobs can one receive'' or something similar. They are horrendous people however much you dress it up haha.

Patton had admitted that trashing GN'R was their way to get attention because they didn't get response from the crowd. He had also said that he realised the media had used FNM for that purpose and their interviews came off like gossip pieces in National Enquirer.

I loved FNM back in the day.

As a teenager i thought Mike Patton was the coolest man on earth.

As i got older i realised he is a pretentious wanker. One of the nastiest people I've ever heard of.

He has these die hard fans who piss in his pocket with everything he does despite the fact he has barely been involved in a decent band/song/album in the past 20 years.

We go on about Axl's vocals on this forum but for a so called vocal genius pattons vocals are a complete fucking joke now.

He can't sing anymore so he just does this deep growl shit which sounds the same on every song.

He has released more crap over the past 20 years than my septic tank.

I can't fucking stand people like him who think they're too cool for everything. Same with Kurt Cobain.

Music is meant to be fun - you play and listen to what you enjoy.

Not listening to something because its not cool is about the least cool thing you can do!

• Like 1