Slash and Steven in The Dirt

10 hours ago, 6lake sa66ath said:

Is it good though?

I give it a C+. The timeline was screwed up at times which I guess is expected trying to pack it all in under two hours.. I have been following the band closely for a long time so I probably noticed things that most people wouldn't. It was definitely low budget and the actors kind of sucked but they did a great job at looking like the band. . At least for Vince and Tommy.  

It may be better for people that aren't huge fans?

It was still pretty good.. It was kind of what I expected after seeing the trailer but I was hoping it would be better than I expected.  I still give it another watch. 

*I also had to crank my TV up to like 90 to watch it because the volume wan't playing very loud.. Not sure if it was like that for everyone. 

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Thanks 1

Ya I read the book like 15 years ago and I thought the timeline was pretty messed up, I think C+ is a good grade. Def worth a watch, but if you haven't read the book you should, its great. I was glad they included the Ozzy part.

The movie did a great job of showcasing the debauchery, and there was some heart to the film on top of that. They really rushed through the split and then into the reunion. It felt like they needed more time. I also came away feeling like they had more than enough material that they could have turned this into a Netflix series rather than a film. Even so, the main actors did a nice job and there was never a dull moment. It was fun. And it's been hilarious to read some of the reviews from critics who hate it because it doesn't fit with the modern female empowerment movement. I'm all for equality, but this was based on their lives. It's as if these critics don't think the film should have been made or wanted the filmmakers to gloss over certain aspects to make it more female friendly. Give me a break. I give the movie a solid B+ for entertainment value despite some of the flaws.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I give it a C+. The timeline was screwed up at times which I guess is expected trying to pack it all in under two hours.. I have been following the band closely for a long time so I probably noticed things that most people wouldn't. It was definitely low budget and the actors kind of sucked but they did a great job at looking like the band. . At least for Vince and Tommy.  

It was still pretty good.. It was kind of what I expected after seeing the trailer but I was hoping it would be better than I expected.  I still give it another watch. 

*I also had to crank my TV up to like 90 to watch it because the volume wan't playing very loud.. Not sure if it was like that for everyone. 

Watched it again today.. Enjoyed a bit more.. Maybe bump it up to a B+ but I can't do any more than that. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Yep, had mine at 80 just to hear it at a normal volume. I used to be a massive Motley fan growing up and still dig a lot of their stuff, and I enjoyed the hell out of the movie. Like said before, the 2nd half was rushed and they should've added at least 30 mins to the movie.

Edited by GoBucky
  • Like 1

As others have said, this really should’ve been a Netflix series. It did feel feel rushed. However, as a huge Crue fan, I really dug it even though the timeline was was off a few times. 

Was cool to see Slash n Steven in it, although it would’ve been cooler if they were hanging out/jamming instead of shooting up. But at least it was an accurate portrayal 

• Like 1

It was more like a series of events than a cohesive movie. But it was enjoyable. The actors were mostly good, especially the dude who played Tommy Lee. And the guy who played Ozzy was really spot on!

Would've worked better as a short mini series, because there was so much story to tell. It could've been pretty cool, but now it was like... okay, I guess.

Edited by jekylhyde

3 hours ago, jekylhyde said:

The actors were mostly good, especially the dude who played Tommy Lee. And the guy who played Ozzy was really spot on!

I watched it for a 3rd time. Drunk this time hahah. I guess the actors weren't that bad.. Tommy and Vince were good. I don't think they did a good job with Nikki though. I don't think he looked, sounded or acted anything like him and that was a big role. 

• Like 2

Just watched it and tought it was cool, I read Nikkis book some years ago and even tought it was accurate to some point. 

It is rushed, but I dont feel it needed a series for it, just 30 more minutes and it would be complete. 

Oh, and the Slash and Adler scene, they just portrayed what really happened. Dont really remember them jamming together so it wouldnt be accurate. 

Edited by default_

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

I don’t want a GnR biopic anymore unless it’s something totally weird and random like Axl going crazy in the late 90s in between oldGuns and newGuns.

doing the standard “band forms, writes songs, gets signed, meets greedy manager, makes album, gets famous, gets greedy and controversial, breakup, make up, and reunite” formula is so cliche and has been done to death at this point.

remember that Steve Jobs film from 2015 (the Michael Fassbender one)? The whole movie takes place entirely backstage at keynote speeches, with just little flashbacks and montages of the other stuff. That’s what a GnR movie should be like. A movie that consists almost solely of just Axl backstage right before HOB 2001. Imagine that! His first show in 8 years and with an all-new lineup after he became a weird recluse. That to me sounds way more interesting now than a movie about the AFD/UYI stuff that the public has already heard about dozens of times now.

100% this. GNR deserves more than the umpeenth retread of the generic music biopic formula that was parodied in Walk Hard. Having a creative team with talent like Sorkin/Boyle from the Steve Jobs film would spice things up, and I would definitely not want the Chinese Democracy years glossed over, tons of potential there for some Howard Hughes-esque weirdness that even Axl himself alluded to in his 2001 concert intros with the jars of piss :P

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Amir said:

100% this. GNR deserves more than the umpeenth retread of the generic music biopic formula that was parodied in Walk Hard. Having a creative team with talent like Sorkin/Boyle from the Steve Jobs film would spice things up, and I would definitely not want the Chinese Democracy years glossed over, tons of potential there for some Howard Hughes-esque weirdness that even Axl himself alluded to in his 2001 concert intros with the jars of piss :P

Honestly a good structure might be something like:

Act 1 - Backstage at HOB 01/01/01

Act 2 - Backstage at Rio 01/14/01

Act 3 - Backstage at Hard Rock 12/31/01

Axl had the fallout with Goldstein and the canceled euro tour between Rio and Hard Rock, right? And Hard Rock (12/31/01) was the show slash tried to get into, right? There’s your dynamic right there!

37 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Honestly a good structure might be something like:

Act 1 - Backstage at HOB 01/01/01

Act 2 - Backstage at Rio 01/14/01

Act 3 - Backstage at Hard Rock 12/31/01

Axl had the fallout with Goldstein and the canceled euro tour between Rio and Hard Rock, right? And Hard Rock (12/31/01) was the show slash tried to get into, right? There’s your dynamic right there!

I was thinking

Backstage at UYI tour; Height of GNR's success; Goldstein presents Slash and Duff with the infamous contract

Backstage at HOB '01; Axl on the eve of his rebirth

Backstage at last Vegas show '14; future seems unsure

Backstage at Troubadour June 6, 1985; Happier days between Axl and Slash

Backstage at Troubadour April 1, 2016; Axl and Slash reunited, in the club they played all those years ago

EDIT: Between HOB '01 and Vegas '14, have a moment with Axl in the Studio in late '06, struggling to find the muse to finish ChiDem

Edited by Amir

58 minutes ago, Amir said:

I was thinking

Backstage at UYI tour; Height of GNR's success; Goldstein presents Slash and Duff with the infamous contract

Backstage at HOB '01; Axl on the eve of his rebirth

Backstage at last Vegas show '14; future seems unsure

Backstage at Troubadour June 6, 1985; Happier days between Axl and Slash

Backstage at Troubadour April 1, 2016; Axl and Slash reunited, in the club they played all those years ago

EDIT: Between HOB '01 and Vegas '14, have a moment with Axl in the Studio in late '06, struggling to find the muse to finish ChiDem

Maybe backstage at that bowling alley in Brooklyn or backstage at the Bridge School benefit.

• Haha 1