Slash and Steven in The Dirt

I'm not a Crue fan at all (so no idea how accurate it was), but I watched this out of interest after finding it on Netflix last night and thought this was a great film, it worked really well as a comedy-drama. The actors were great also.

I was always a bit iffy on the idea of a GN'R biopic, but if they approached it like The Dirt and played up some of the more comical aspects it has the potential for some dumb fun.

On a side note, the guy that played Mick Mars was also a lead character on a UK show called Misfits, which was pure comedy gold.

9 hours ago, Amir said:

I was thinking

Backstage at UYI tour; Height of GNR's success; Goldstein presents Slash and Duff with the infamous contract

Backstage at HOB '01; Axl on the eve of his rebirth

Backstage at last Vegas show '14; future seems unsure

Backstage at Troubadour June 6, 1985; Happier days between Axl and Slash

Backstage at Troubadour April 1, 2016; Axl and Slash reunited, in the club they played all those years ago

EDIT: Between HOB '01 and Vegas '14, have a moment with Axl in the Studio in late '06, struggling to find the muse to finish ChiDem

I like this idea a lot! Though I feel like both Troubador sequences would have to be very brief. Almost like a prologue/epilogue kinda thing.

you could have Duff backstage at Vegas 2014 (he was there, right?) almost acting as the “glue” for the reunion.

the only issue with this structure is that it would reduce Izzy and Steven to basically side characters, but oh well. Can’t win ‘em all, I guess.

My idea for a GNR bio-series would have each Season cover one year in the bands history and each Episode is that year as recalled though the eyes of one of the members/ characters. No one seems to agree on events and it could make it funny, too.

Season 1 - 1985

ep 1 - Axl

ep2 - Izzy

ep 3 - Slash

etc 

10 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

I like this idea a lot! Though I feel like both Troubador sequences would have to be very brief. Almost like a prologue/epilogue kinda thing.

you could have Duff backstage at Vegas 2014 (he was there, right?) almost acting as the “glue” for the reunion.

the only issue with this structure is that it would reduce Izzy and Steven to basically side characters, but oh well. Can’t win ‘em all, I guess.

Hm, maybe instead of Vegas 2014, have Buenos Aires 2014? Or London 2010?

2 hours ago, Amir said:

Hm, maybe instead of Vegas 2014, have Buenos Aires 2014? Or London 2010?

Probably London 2010. I recall reading a YouTube comment from Bumblefoot’s official channel where he confirmed that the reunion plans were already in motion before the 2014 shows. A fictional version of backstage at London 2010 would be a good way of having fictional Duff “planting the seed” for the reunion.

36 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Probably London 2010. I recall reading a YouTube comment from Bumblefoot’s official channel where he confirmed that the reunion plans were already in motion before the 2014 shows. A fictional version of backstage at London 2010 would be a good way of having fictional Duff “planting the seed” for the reunion.

I dunno how far in advance they were planned before 2014, though. I remember there were rumours that Tommy was threatening to quit before the Abu Dhabi show at the end of 2010 based on some tweets of his. I think Axl was genuinely caught off guard by Duff being at the same hotel in 2010, but I dunno if it was as coincidental as Duff made it out to be; Axl made some comment himself about not buying the whole thing being a coincidence, either. I can't remember where, though, can't find it now...

• Like 1

Generally, I don t like biopics and band movies. Probably because the first one I watched it was that awfull Oliver Stone s The Doors. Till this day, I am trying to explain to all kinds of nerds that Jim Morrison did all kind of stupid things but didn t try ever to set his girlfriend on fire, that particular scene is driving me crazy. I watched the Dirt movie and I actually enjoy it but I wasn t a Motley Crue fan so I woudln t be bother by any flaws that only a fan could see. I read many memoirs from that time and especially Bobbie Brown book  portraited Vince as a stupid lecher, so I was surprinzed and quitte emotional to see his family side and the sad story with his daughter.

I am not sure I would want to watch a GNR movie, would be more happy to read Axl and Izzy autobioraphies. I have read the other three already published. I would like a documentary with every one involved telling the stories or confronting each other stories. It would be fun but pretty sure they would end up arguing over some sensitive issue from the past. And I like all GNR members so I wouldn t see anyone be blamed for anything, it was great just the way it was.

Edited by LauraS
  • Like 1

GNR have conquered the world as a band and there are people who wanna see a movie about Axl in 2001 when basically nobody knew this band (or a band with the same name) still existed?

I'd rather never watch a GNR biopic before I'd watch something like that, seriously. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

I enjoyed “The Dirt”. Wouldn’t score it higher than a “B-“- but it’s a fun, “guilty pleasure” type thing for folks interested in the 80s Strip, etc. 

Back in the day I viewed MC as hated rivals with the whole Vince v. Axl/Izzy thing, and that after Guns- they probably were the next most grittiest/talented band from that scene. 25+ years later though- I’m a massive Sixx: A.M. fan, and have gotten into their whole story via Nikki....

I've always thought the making of CD would be a good sitcom. Every week Axl & co. would give the execs something to lose their shit over.

And I'd want Axl to write a book about literally anything, even if it wasn't necessarily an autobiography. He's a smart dude with his own sense of humour and makes anything he talks about interesting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Free Bird said:

GNR have conquered the world as a band and there are people who wanna see a movie about Axl in 2001 when basically nobody knew this band (or a band with the same name) still existed?

I'd rather never watch a GNR biopic before I'd watch something like that, seriously. 

The point is to see fictional things loosely inspired by specific events that are unique and not very well known outside of this circle, rather than another highlight reel of a band’s most (in)famous moments across their entire career. Who cares about GnR conquering the world? Everyone knows that part of the story already. Don’t show us what these people did. Show us who they were.

13 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Who cares about GnR conquering the world? 

I am sorry about a hell of a lot more people care to watch that than what Axl was doing backstage and leading up to a 2001 show.. No one cared then and no one cares now.. That would be more of an Axl movie than an Guns N' Roses movie anyway. 

• Like 3

Just now, Tom-Ass said:

I am sorry about a hell of a lot more people care to watch that than what Axl was doing backstage and leading up to a 2001 show.. No one cared then and no one cares now.. That would be more of an Axl movie than an Guns N' Roses movie anyway. 

I see your point, yeah. I myself find movies about a central protagonist more appealing than ensemble pieces.

if a GnR movie had to absolutely be about the classic era due to popularity, than I would say focus strictly on the club days or the making of appetite or something. Something self-contained.

They shouldn’t touch illusion imo. That era on its own is way too cliche to do as a biopic imo.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

The point is to see fictional things loosely inspired by specific events that are unique and not very well known outside of this circle, rather than another highlight reel of a band’s most (in)famous moments across their entire career. Who cares about GnR conquering the world? Everyone knows that part of the story already. Don’t show us what these people did. Show us who they were.

I disagree. Only crazy forum people like us know the whole story. The general public isn't familiar with the details.

To decide to make a movie about one of the most boring and most senseless periods of a rock n roll band ever in the history of music, is just stupid IMO especially when you are able to tell the exciting story of the original band. 

There are plenty possibilities for a great GNR biopic, don't mess it up.

• Like 1

The GNR movie should start with Jeff Isbell and Bill Bailey as kids.  Then, switch to Adler and Saul as kids.  Then go to the sunset strip and the making of Appetite.  Follow that with the Illusion tour, Axl meltdowns, riots, and band disbandment.  Briefly mention VR and Nu Guns.  Then, end it with the first show of the NITL tour.  Roll the credits while Axl, Slash, and Duff roll in the $$$$$$.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

16 hours ago, LauraS said:

Generally, I don t like biopics and band movies. Probably because the first one I watched it was that awfull Oliver Stone s The Doors. Till this day, I am trying to explain to all kinds of nerds that Jim Morrison did all kind of stupid things but didn t try ever to set his girlfriend on fire, that particular scene is driving me crazy. I watched the Dirt movie and I actually enjoy it but I wasn t a Motley Crue fan so I woudln t be bother by any flaws that only a fan could see. I read many memoirs from that time and especially Bobbie Brown book  portraited Vince as a stupid lecher, so I was surprinzed and quitte emotional to see his family side and the sad story with his daughter.

I am not sure I would want to watch a GNR movie, would be more happy to read Axl and Izzy autobioraphies. I have read the other three already published. I would like a documentary with every one involved telling the stories or confronting each other stories. It would be fun but pretty sure they would end up arguing over some sensitive issue from the past. And I like all GNR members so I wouldn t see anyone be blamed for anything, it was great just the way it was.

So, you're saying that the Doors movie was awful based on that one scene?  Come on, the movie has some flaws but it's far from awful.

42 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I disagree. Only crazy forum people like us know the whole story. The general public isn't familiar with the details.

To decide to make a movie about one of the most boring and most senseless periods of a rock n roll band ever in the history of music, is just stupid IMO especially when you are able to tell the exciting story of the original band. 

There are plenty possibilities for a great GNR biopic, don't mess it up.

You make a fair point, I’ll admit... still, though, when you try to depict the story of the classic era of GnR in a biopic, you run the risk of it ending up as very cliche imo. 

Maybe there’s a way to do it... but it would have to be handled very carefully if so.

50 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

You make a fair point, I’ll admit... still, though, when you try to depict the story of the classic era of GnR in a biopic, you run the risk of it ending up as very cliche imo. 

Maybe there’s a way to do it... but it would have to be handled very carefully if so.

I would be happier for them to just release actual footage of the band and concerts for us than a movie.. Or did you see the Stones Crossfire Hurricane movie? Now something like that would be sweet!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I would be happier for them to just release actual footage of the band and concerts for us than a movie.. Or did you see the Stones Crossfire Hurricane movie? Now something like that would be sweet!

I really liked Crossfire Hurricane, my only criticism is that they never showed the band members during the interviews.  They only used voice overs.  Some people probably think this was a good thing.😄