Jump to content
rocknroll41

Slash and Steven in The Dirt

Recommended Posts

It's a C- film at best. Fine, but overall, a little to clean for what it was supposed to be and I found some of the overdubs a little cartoonist. I also thought The film seemed to be in a rush, lots of great parts left out. The book was brilliant though.

Vince's parts saved it somewhat, the actor who played him did a great job especially the skylar, razzle parts. Mick and Tommy were good top. Thought the Nikki wasn't great, just seemed a little too smooth, sixx always seemed way more fucked up and sleazy.

No need for a gnr film, the Crüe film kinda covers the same story... It's also more interesting... Even if GNR are the more popular band and are a better band in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

You make a fair point, I’ll admit... still, though, when you try to depict the story of the classic era of GnR in a biopic, you run the risk of it ending up as very cliche imo. 

Maybe there’s a way to do it... but it would have to be handled very carefully if so.

I agree with you that you can't tell the whole story from '82 til '96. That's far too complex and it had to be a Godfather-esque epos to do the band justice. Introduce the band members. Tell the story how they crossed ways and how they struggled til they finally released Appetite. That's enough for a good movie imo

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one that thinks a biopic based around Appetite would be boring? That period has been so heavily covered that there would be nothing we wouldn't have seen already.

It's like how every Prince bio ever is basically the making of Purple Rain with the last 35 years/albums squeezed into about 5 pages, or MJ bios being like 'o hEy, i beT u DidnT nO tHiS aBoUt thRiLLer'

Seriously, do something new. An Illusions, breakup or CD era movie would be waaay more interesting.

There was a GN'R graphic novel published sometime in the last few years, and pretty much the whole thing was each member growing up, starting Guns and the Appetite era, with literally everything else glossed over the last few pages. It didn't make for an interesting comic, something like the Illusions era would've worked much bettter considering the medium. The same goes for a movie.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't like it. I don't know if I had high expectations but for a moment I thought I was watching Jackass.

I know the debauchery played a big part in their career but it was boring after a while.

Waiting for the Elton John one...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2019 at 11:18 AM, trqster said:

It was a GREAT movie - loved it!! So much more respect for Vince Neil after knowing about his own personal deamons and tragedies. 

I feel the opposite. I had little respect for Neil to begin with and even less so after watching the movie. Doesn't the dude have multiple DUIs? Like, he didn't learn his lesson after killing Razzle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The Dirt was a good book. The Netflix movie was OK, but rushed. It would have been so awesome if they did it as a miniseries. Eight episodes. Two episodes for each member of the band, sort of in the style of the book where they took turns on chapters. Maybe a ninth final episode for the reunion. Something like that would have been killer. But maybe they felt Motley Crue isn't a big enough band for that. They had a very short run on top of the musical landscape and are probably more similar to a band like The Offspring or Alice in Chains in that regard. Never a bride. Always a bridesmaid. lol

Edited by GnR Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

I feel the opposite. I had little respect for Neil to begin with and even less so after watching the movie. Doesn't the dude have multiple DUIs? Like, he didn't learn his lesson after killing Razzle.

I know someone who was driving too fast and he was barely above the legal limit - .09.  his girlfriend was in the passenger seat - it was a winding road and was going too fast. He did 3 years for second degree manslaughter, it took years before he got his license back. 

Vince should have done at least 2-3 years, not 2-3 weeks. How he was allowed to open a winery and open a tequila business is beyond me. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27.3.2019 at 12:10 AM, Tom2112 said:

It's a C- film at best. Fine, but overall, a little to clean for what it was supposed to be and I found some of the overdubs a little cartoonist. I also thought The film seemed to be in a rush, lots of great parts left out. The book was brilliant though.

Vince's parts saved it somewhat, the actor who played him did a great job especially the skylar, razzle parts. Mick and Tommy were good top. Thought the Nikki wasn't great, just seemed a little too smooth, sixx always seemed way more fucked up and sleazy.

No need for a gnr film, the Crüe film kinda covers the same story... It's also more interesting... Even if GNR are the more popular band and are a better band in my opinion.

Too clean?? Maybe they cut the version in the US, but I thought it was pretty explicit. Was watching it with an older friend and he was actually a bit shocked about some of the scenes. I`m am not that much of a fan, so I can`t really tell how close to reality the movie is, but all in all I would think that it could have been like that quite well.

I agree that the movie was not big budget and in some parts a bit superficial, but overall I thought it was very entertaining to watch. Tommy and Mick came across best in the movie. Overall I am happy that Netflix made it, better than 95% of the generic bs on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, God of Thunder said:

Too clean?? Maybe they cut the version in the US, but I thought it was pretty explicit. Was watching it with an older friend and he was actually a bit shocked about some of the scenes. I`m am not that much of a fan, so I can`t really tell how close to reality the movie is, but all in all I would think that it could have been like that quite well.

I agree that the movie was not big budget and in some parts a bit superficial, but overall I thought it was very entertaining to watch. Tommy and Mick came across best in the movie. Overall I am happy that Netflix made it, better than 95% of the generic bs on it.

Like I know there's loads of sex and drugs and Tommy hits his girlfriend, but I just remember reading that book and I couldn't leave it down. They failed to capture the story in my opinion. 

It's not as shit as some people would have you believe but it's definitely a missed opportunity. Considering how well the NWA movie came out and their story isn't as colourful on the outset... Expectations for the dirt were reasonably high.

It's a 50/60% film. Worth a look, but not top priority. A hangover day film! In true Mötley style😅 

Mick comes off the best, just like in the book.

I think they could have developed the characters more, it was just like - they did this, then they did this, and they did this... And there's no breathing room. The only great part of the film was Vince's crash and his daughters death, which were legitimately great bits of acting and story-telling. It had good parts like that entrance scene🤣 but the whole thing was a bit undercooked... 10yrs in the making though (avoid the CD jokes people!).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hadn’t read the book and can’t say that I’m much of a fan of Motley Crue, watched 25 min of this movie before switching off, complete garbage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2019 at 11:11 PM, lame ass security said:

So, you're saying that the Doors movie was awful based on that one scene?  Come on, the movie has some flaws but it's far from awful.

No. The movie wasn t awfull, it was just the fact that they used the name of an great artist and linked him to some awfull fictional facts. They needed to ensure the succes of the movie so they used and abused a famous and charismatic singer just for their money-and-fame related reasons. I felt like he didn t deserve that, he was an unhappy dude all his life, trying to escape somehow alive from a twisted mind, why would someone try to trash the last remains of his reputation, just to ensure the succes of some half-fictional movie? I agree with Slash: "To me, those books (Led Zepelins Hammers of Gods and The Doors No One Gets Out Alive) were basically written for the authors own entertaiment, they seem inacurate and full of shit. And after that, I never read another rock-and-roll biography again."

Of course, I wouldn t have  been disturbed if the artist would have been Eric Clapton or someone else that I didnt follow or like. So it is a pretty personal and subjectiv opinion.:lol::P

Anyway The Dirt movie was different, it was made with the consent of the whole MC band, they always took pride in the fact that they were crazy wild, even wilder in drinking an partying than GNR. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LauraS said:

No. The movie wasn t awfull, it was just the fact that they used the name of an great artist and linked him to some awfull fictional facts. They needed to ensure the succes of the movie so they used and abused a famous and charismatic singer just for their money-and-fame related reasons. I felt like he didn t deserve that, he was an unhappy dude all his life, trying to escape somehow alive from a twisted mind, why would someone try to trash the last remains of his reputation, just to ensure the succes of some half-fictional movie? I agree with Slash: "To me, those books (Led Zepelins Hammers of Gods and The Doors No One Gets Out Alive) were basically written for the authors own entertaiment, they seem inacurate and full of shit. And after that, I never read another rock-and-roll biography again."

Of course, I wouldn t have  been disturbed if the artist would have been Eric Clapton or someone else that I didnt follow or like. So it is a pretty personal and subjectiv opinion.:lol::P

Anyway The Dirt movie was different, it was made with the consent of the whole MC band, they always took pride in the fact that they were crazy wild, even wilder in drinking an partying than GNR. 

I understand what your saying, directors do sometimes take poetic license for the benefit of entertainment value.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

watched it last night, if any of its true they realy were a bunch of unlike able cunts, imo nikki 6 is nothing more than a posser, tommy lee is a joke with his stupid drum kit, mars came across ok in the film maybe because his sarcasm reminds me of me lol but in real life i hear he was slightly different, and vince wore what looks like ugg boots in an interview with sammy haggar, enough said about him lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/03/2019 at 4:04 PM, Free Bird said:

I agree with you that you can't tell the whole story from '82 til '96. That's far too complex and it had to be a Godfather-esque epos to do the band justice. Introduce the band members. Tell the story how they crossed ways and how they struggled til they finally released Appetite. That's enough for a good movie imo

I would prefer from 89 when they cleaned up to 96 when slash quit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/03/2019 at 12:56 AM, Tom2112 said:

Like I know there's loads of sex and drugs and Tommy hits his girlfriend, but I just remember reading that book and I couldn't leave it down. They failed to capture the story in my opinion. 

It's not as shit as some people would have you believe but it's definitely a missed opportunity. Considering how well the NWA movie came out and their story isn't as colourful on the outset... Expectations for the dirt were reasonably high.

It's a 50/60% film. Worth a look, but not top priority. A hangover day film! In true Mötley style😅 

Mick comes off the best, just like in the book.

I think they could have developed the characters more, it was just like - they did this, then they did this, and they did this... And there's no breathing room. The only great part of the film was Vince's crash and his daughters death, which were legitimately great bits of acting and story-telling. It had good parts like that entrance scene🤣 but the whole thing was a bit undercooked... 10yrs in the making though (avoid the CD jokes people!).

I havnt seen it but does it cover tommy and heather locklear marriage and the whole circus with pamela anderson?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

I havnt seen it but does it cover tommy and heather locklear marriage and the whole circus with pamela anderson?.

theres a wee bit with him and heather but not much, pam is not mentioned at all in the film

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, scottish nutter said:

watched it last night, if any of its true they realy were a bunch of unlike able cunts, imo nikki 6 is nothing more than a posser, tommy lee is a joke with his stupid drum kit, mars came across ok in the film maybe because his sarcasm reminds me of me lol but in real life i hear he was slightly different, and vince wore what looks like ugg boots in an interview with sammy haggar, enough said about him lol

So, I guess the film was pretty accurate then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I havnt seen it but does it cover tommy and heather locklear marriage and the whole circus with pamela anderson?.

No Pamela, but Heather is in there in all her glory. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.billboard.com/amp/articles/columns/rock/8505680/tom-zutaut-interview-the-dirt

Cool interview with Tom Zutaut. Interesting quote about GnR:

"Everybody thinks Guns N’ Roses were this really dangerous band, but Guns N’ Roses actually had a moral fiber and a moral center to them. Of all the bands I worked with, Mötley Crüe were literally willing to push anything to the breaking point…I think that they were willing to push anything as deep and dark as it could possibly go, to the limits of the human psyche. If you use your imagination and understanding of that, there's a certain terror and exhilaration in a group of people that are willing to push the boundaries to the absolute limit."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×