My computer died. Rip "Smackalibur II" 2/13/2015 - 3/23/2019

DeadSlash

Rip "Smackalibur II"  2/13/2015 - 3/23/19

Farewell Smackalibur II. A nation mourns the loss of your blazing fast FPS, and insane 32GB of memory.

Smackalibur II was an organ donor and his 1080ti was preserved and will be inserted into a needy system.  He is survived a Logitec G series mouse, and the N52te, speed pad, and countless photos, videos and songs.  Smackalibur II died from catastrophic processor failure, when his liquid cooling ruptured suddenly. He was 4.  After numerous attempts to revive him, he was pronounced dead at the scene.  His death has been ruled to be of natural causes, despite rumors of foul play circulating on several media outlets.  Close friend and family Doctor Dead Slash has been quoted as saying "haters finally got what they wanted.  The Beast has been slain.  Fuck you water, fuck you moisture, I will never properly hydrate myself again."  Mr. Slash has been Smackalibur II's chief caretaker for almost the entirety of his existence. DS added "I used to yell at him when my internet when down, and it wasn't his fault.  I wish I could take it back.  I wish I could have said goodbye.  I will miss my dear, dear friend, Smackalibur II.

Smackalibur II first rose to national fame when he was benchmarked in the top 99th percentile of Steam users in 2015.  He has had 2 Video Card transplants, and  had numerous battles with his processors cooling system.  Most recently, he was hospitalized on the basement floor for almost 30 days when a small leak in his system lead to anemia and overheating.  At the time, Dr. DeadSlash warned him that his life was coming to an end, and he needed to dial down the raw power, but this didn't stop Smackalibur II from doing what he loved, playing the newest PC games set to extreme quality, with a silky smooth frame rate.   

In lieu of flowers, the family of Smackalibur II wishes you simply humor his closest friend and leave your condolences, because you have lost a computer too, and don't act like you didn't lose your shit when it happened.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Hydration was also the scorn of my system for several years, with two coolers in a row failing within 6 months of installation. I left the water game and went fully air cooled and haven't looked back.

RIP Smackalibur II.

EDIT: Is it bad that this hits me harder than 99% of the celebrity death threads we have on here? :lol:

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Haha 1

Oh yeah, Water cooling is dead to me.

@OmarBradley You made me laugh out loud for the first time since my computer went kaput.  I am obviously kidding with the mourning angle, but I am frustrated and mad as F, so laughs were in short supply.

However, one cannot mourn forever, and Smackalibur III is taking shape.  Pretty sure I'm getting the i9-9900k.  A little overkill for gaming, but I do video editing too, and the 8700 was only about $200 cheaper.  My old chipset was the 5960 and while it too was "overkill" for gaming I didn't have the same issues as the people who got the 6700, so fingers crossed.

Also, please note, I will have enough fans to change weather patterns, so I wouldn't book any vacations until we see what the global climate looks like in April.

• Like 1

I'm still unsure if I want to do a new build. My processor is old yet it seems to be doing fine with my 1080. At this point I kind of want to run my system until it decides its done, not me. I'm sort of curious to see how long this will be a viable gaming build at 1440p/maxed settings. So far, it's holding up surprisingly well given my processor is from 2012. As long as I can get 40+ frames on maxed settings, I'm happy. I care more about looks than smoothness. Pretty low maintenance for a PC gamer. :lol:

I would get the i9 9900k for sure though, one reason as you noted it's not that much more expensive than the i7s. And I believe only i9s have hyptherthreading whereas the i7s don't anymore.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

I'm still unsure if I want to do a new build. My processor is old yet it seems to be doing fine with my 1080. At this point I kind of want to run my system until it decides its done, not me. I'm sort of curious to see how long this will be a viable gaming build at 1440p/maxed settings. So far, it's holding up surprisingly well given my processor is from 2012. As long as I can get 40+ frames on maxed settings, I'm happy. I care more about looks than smoothness. Pretty low maintenance for a PC gamer. :lol:

I would get the i9 9900k for sure though, one reason as you noted it's not that much more expensive than the i7s. And I believe only i9s have hyptherthreading whereas the i7s don't anymore.

When I made Smackalibur II (rip) I was back and forth on getting the 5960 chip, it was actually a LOT more expensive than the best "gaming chip" that I believe was the 6700.  I did some video editing and the extra boost of the 5960 DID mean something there, and it ended up being the deciding factor.   I never regretted the choice, because almost immediately, with Just Cause 3, I was seeing none of the errors that people were reporting where the only difference was the chipset.  This trend continued all the way up to it's dying day.  Interestingly nicely bookended by Just Cause, as Just Cause 4 was the final game where people reported it to be "broken" whilst I was having no problems.

So despite the very common sentiment that the 5960 was of no value to gamers, it did the job for me like a champion.  

SM3 is starting to take shape, I just nabbed this:

1920GB Corsair Force MP510 series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD this shit is apparently so fast, it loads before you even realize you wanted to launch the program... 

14 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I have a basic 1600dpi mouse. Can you or anyone else confirm whether or not a highend 12000dpi mouse actually feels better? I might get one. That and the 3850x and a 3080Ti and a 144hz+ monitor. I can't wait. It will be fucking amazing playing Halo 3 and the others. 

I hope they do mods like rain for Halo 3 ODST.

I can't really tell if it makes that big of a difference, but I've also always gotten the top tier corded gaming mouse from Logitech as soon as they were released going back over 10 years, so I don't really know.  My guess is that feel and button placement is far more important.

I will say, about a 144hz monitor that it is like getting a new computer.  It's an amazing difference, night and day.

• 2 weeks later...

Birth announcement:

Smackalibur III Esq.

Weight 40lbs.

Length 24''

Height 26''

First words: "Welcome to the Jungle" 1986 Sound City

First game run: Metro Last Light redux

From death, comes life.

I am reporting to you from Smackalibur III esq.

This is my first post anywhere.  You're welcome.

I'm drunk with raw computing power.

The singularity has begun, and I am on the computers side.

Edited by DeadSlash
This is more better funny
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

46 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

Birth announcement:

Smackalibur III Esq.

Weight 40lbs.

Length 24''

Height 26''

From death, comes life.

Pics or it didn’t happen. :D 

• GNFNR 1

On 4/3/2019 at 2:17 AM, DeadSlash said:

Birth announcement:

Smackalibur III Esq.

Weight 40lbs.

Length 24''

Height 26''

From death, comes life.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

My rig:
Born 4/2/19
Smackalibur III Esq.
GTX 1080ti
Intel Core i9-9900K @3.6MHz
32GB Adata DDR4 3000 2OZ 4x8GB 3000MHz
MoBo Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO

You like going with all expensive stuff huh? Like Asus and Intel? Not hating, more power to you. I'm going with Ryzen and MSI myself.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

You like going with all expensive stuff huh? Like Asus and Intel? Not hating, more power to you. I'm going with Ryzen and MSI myself.

Yeah, I'm in my mid 40's and I am just not where I was time and knowledge wise as I was in my 20's.  I used to do painstaking research to get the most cost efficient parts across the board, but these days I actually budget for PC upgrades and when I pull the trigger, I usually go with a really high rated, really current component.  Not to say there is anything wrong with getting the best value, as that used to be my M.O., just that my situation is different now.  I found this approach seems to be a wash budget wise, because everything lasts longer.  If I didn't have a cooler malfunction, my old PC was doing absolutely fine 4 years in whereas I would have had to have upgraded the entire rig (or most of it) by now.  

These days my research mostly consists of looking at benchmarks, looking for any common complaints about a component and pulling the trigger.  I thought it would be more of an expensive change than it was, because my last 2 PC's lasted well beyond what I was used to, with only the GPU's swapped out.  In other words, in the past I'd buy a cpu for like $150 every 3 years, compared to a $500 CPU that lasted me 6 years.  It's basically a wash.

The irony is that I enjoyed those days a lot more, but tried going back and can't stand it.  I had a blast buying basically all of my shit to be overclocked, then doing said overclocking until something broke down, and starting the process with said component all over again.  I don't think of that as fun at ALL anymore, but loved it back in the day.

*The Intel choice was nonnegotiable for me though.  The last time I had any AMD component worth a damn was the FX-64 in early 2000.  The performance is back on par with Intel now, but I see so many people having issues with AMD GPU's on games that I didn't even look at them.

16 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Nothing wrong with going with the top of the line parts, if you can afford them. For me, I set a budget of $750, so I'm trying to stay within that. I just found AMD to be more cost efficient, yet still really good.

That build you have is really, really nice for that price point.  I don't know a ton about AMD but googled the parts and that will be a nice build, congrats.  

• Like 1

On 5/23/2019 at 11:08 PM, DeadSlash said:

That build you have is really, really nice for that price point.  I don't know a ton about AMD but googled the parts and that will be a nice build, congrats.  

Thanks, I can't wait to start buying. I'm currently waiting on some funds to arrive (hopefully within a week or two). 

I started thinking about AMD, because of the HP I was looking at. I had two different HP pavilions I was looking at, and was comparing the specs on the two. One thing led to another, pretty soon I was on PC parts picker designing my own rig. 

• Like 1