What's your unpopular GN'R opinion?

Bad Apples is one of the best songs from the UYI albums.

The Ritz 1988 show is easily their most overrated bootleg. There's almost 20 (I think) proshot shows from '86-93, and Ritz '88 isn't even in the top 10. It's the best quality recording from the AFD line-up so I get why it's loved, but the praise can be annoying. There's so many better bootlegs from the AFD era...

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, lilacmess said:

The shows in 2019 were actually pretty awesome!

I was back in section 7 row H. I forgot to make sure I had an aisle seat. This douchebag that sat in the aisle seat in front of me stared at his fucking phone THE WHOLE GODDAMN TIME. I'm 5' 4" so I couldn't see shit. I hope I didn't waste my one chance to see them live. I could see Slash and Fortus but I couldn't keep my eye on Axl. 

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The Ritz 1988 show is easily their most overrated bootleg. There's almost 20 (I think) proshot shows from '86-93, and Ritz '88 isn't even in the top 10. It's the best quality recording from the AFD line-up so I get why it's loved, but the praise can be annoying. There's so many better bootlegs from the AFD era..

I guess I like it mainly cause of the smaller scale of the stage over anything else really. I like the smaller stages over the setups during the UYIs.

I'm sure they did plenty of better shows from that era(Ritz 1987, MM 1986), but like you said Ritz 88 is basically the only good quality one we have available. and is most accessible so it's natural it's held in high regard. Thinking of it now, it's crazy we haven't got a remastered official release of any show from that era. I'd imagine there's some amazing shows just gathering dust.

6 hours ago, registra said:

I guess I like it mainly cause of the smaller scale of the stage over anything else really. I like the smaller stages over the setups during the UYIs.

I'm sure they did plenty of better shows from that era(Ritz 1987, MM 1986), but like you said Ritz 88 is basically the only good quality one we have available. and is most accessible so it's natural it's held in high regard. Thinking of it now, it's crazy we haven't got a remastered official release of any show from that era. I'd imagine there's some amazing shows just gathering dust.

Ritz 87 leaked not too long ago and it's much better :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

I want an Axl Rose autobiography more than a new album. 

I do, but I don't. I feel like it would be really hard to follow plus we kinda already know that the bulk of it would essentially say "everyone was wrong about everything except for me" 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I do, but I don't. I feel like it would be really hard to follow plus we kinda already know that the bulk of it would essentially say "everyone was wrong about everything except for me" 

That's true, but it'd be also be interesting to hear him lay out his thoughts on everything post '96 - the new band, VMAs, cancelled tour, radio silence for three-four years, Buckethead leaving, Chinese Democracy coming out, the reunion, etc. 

But also, any time I hear his perspective on old stuff that I thought I understood it's usually pretty surprising. For example, the myth was that he refused to go on stage unless they signed the name over. Then in '08 we finally hear his defense that that was impossible because it would be "under duress" and he'd have been liable for that. That put it in a whole new light for me.

Similar thing happened in '02 when he said (I think on stage) that "Izzy was always complaining that he could never hear himself - that's because Izzy was so fucked up! He'd be high playing another song so we unplugged his guitars when he wasn't looking." 

All of that just adds new dimensions to things. He'd stay silent for a while on them probably fearing backlash, but I think it'd shed a lot more light on what really went down in GNR and what ripped the old band apart (my guess is it has more to do with addiction than anything else).

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 5:27 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

See and that's why the whole "UYI should have been tighter" doesn't really hold up for me.  Sure they might have been more critically acclaimed at the time... if they did it like Morning Glory / Masterplan... but Bad Apples is the fucking shit and most fans would have thrown it in the scrap heap. 

Plus it is the only track with all the dudes (minus Steven) having writing credit.

In that sense it's actually the most authentic representation of the band in the entire catalog. So suck on them apples 🍎

Edited by Ant
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, BangoSkank said:

I want an Axl Rose autobiography more than a new album. 

Which do you think is more likely? 

14 hours ago, BangoSkank said:

That's true, but it'd be also be interesting to hear him lay out his thoughts on everything post '96 - the new band, VMAs, cancelled tour, radio silence for three-four years, Buckethead leaving, Chinese Democracy coming out, the reunion, etc. 

But also, any time I hear his perspective on old stuff that I thought I understood it's usually pretty surprising. For example, the myth was that he refused to go on stage unless they signed the name over. Then in '08 we finally hear his defense that that was impossible because it would be "under duress" and he'd have been liable for that. That put it in a whole new light for me.

Similar thing happened in '02 when he said (I think on stage) that "Izzy was always complaining that he could never hear himself - that's because Izzy was so fucked up! He'd be high playing another song so we unplugged his guitars when he wasn't looking." 

All of that just adds new dimensions to things. He'd stay silent for a while on them probably fearing backlash, but I think it'd shed a lot more light on what really went down in GNR and what ripped the old band apart (my guess is it has more to do with addiction than anything else).

Really good points. 

11 hours ago, Ant said:

+1. It's an amazing song, including lyrically.

• Like 1

The Big Three refers to Axl, Slash and Izzy Stradlin NOT Axl, Slash and Duff McKagan

Gilby Clarke suits GN'R much better than Richard Fortus, who I love, but no.

Frank Ferrer ruins November Rain live.

Rhiad was good.

Street of Dreams is painful.

Prostitute is genius.

Izzy's Ju Ju Hounds, 117 Degrees and Like a Dog are better than any other solo album from Guns members.

Ain't Life Grand is Slash's best post Guns work

Listening to Duff's Tenderness is akin to fucking a Coke can

• Like 2

On 27/01/2020 at 10:27 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

The Ritz 1988 show is easily their most overrated bootleg. There's almost 20 (I think) proshot shows from '86-93, and Ritz '88 isn't even in the top 10. It's the best quality recording from the AFD line-up so I get why it's loved, but the praise can be annoying. There's so many better bootlegs from the AFD era...

There were always this thing about the quality of the recording, not the performance. Just like you said, there was several bootlegs with better performance in the 2006 era that were so much better than the Rock Am Ring (the last Gibson Ampitheater show is one of them), but people tend to prefer that one because it was soundboard/proshot. It wasn't a bad show, of course. 

And yes, Riad N' The Bedouins is fucking awesome. That was the closest thing to AFD on steroids to me. And I can't believe how many didn't understand that the song was the only old-school guitar riff driven (other guitar riffs in the album were more in the weird kind, like Shacklers and Better), and yet they kept comparing it to techno-industrial shit like Silkworms.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Blackjacker said:

After 7 shows, my biggest takeaway from the NITL tour was how great a band Velvet Revolver was.

When VR was came around, my first thought was 'how bad of a fit Scott was live to Slash/Matt/Duff combo'.

Now with ridiculous singing Axl, who can barely move on stage, Scott looks like totally different universe energetically compared to Ax 2020.

Slash/Duff/Matt was GNR, Dave MUCH better fit to Slash than Rich (although he is not Gilby/Iz) and Sctt was talented cool frontman, despite the demons he fought with.

Although, frankly, VR was neither GNR nor STP. First 3 STP albums were much more Scott than VR was.  It was like 2 different styles combining to create a third.

When it comes down to Slash, his ideal style for me was UYI/Snakepit sound.