What's your unpopular GN'R opinion?

17 minutes ago, GonzoThesaurus said:

In order to sing and perform like Axl did or does takes a certain emotional, physical and spiritual toll. When fans talk about the Mickey voice, and how the man can't kill it anymore .. yeah well of course he can't.  He spent all that energy in his early days!

That particular screeching form of singing can't be easy on the larynx either...and all that range, sometimes you're pushing a voice to do things that aren't really what its meant to do.  We're not really designed to make those sorts of sounds, even shouting all day has an effect on ones voices, voices are designed for speaking really.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

That particular screeching form of singing can't be easy on the larynx either...and all that range, sometimes you're pushing a voice to do things that aren't really what its meant to do.  We're not really designed to make those sorts of sounds, even shouting all day has an effect on ones voices, voices are designed for speaking really.

Aside from all this "technical" and "medical" stuff, which is true of course, I've also found myself cringing at the sound of those voices lately.

It's been so long since I have listened to the genre, to those singers, because I don't listen to rock anymore (or barely listen to rock) that whenever I hear Axl and those guys who sang like him, I want to cover my ears and run away :lol:

This is why I think Axl should try a new form of singing, not only because his throat is destroyed but because that kind of singing is passé and his natural voice is actually cool enough to make a change for his own good.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Aside from all this "technical" and "medical" stuff, which is true of course, I've also found myself cringing at the sound of those voices lately.

It's been so long since I have listened to the genre, to those singers, because I don't listen to rock anymore (or barely listen to rock) that whenever I hear Axl and those guys who sang like him, I want to cover my ears and run away :lol:

This is why I think Axl should try a new form of singing, not only because his throat is destroyed but because that kind of singing is passé and his natural voice is actually cool enough to make a change for his own good.

Man, I couldn't agree more.  Just out of curiosity, what do you listen to these days.😊

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lame ass security said:

Very cool.  I have to say I'm not very familiar with that genre of music.   But I do like Shakira.

Rosalía is the new blood of music in Spanish. She sings a fusion of flamenco with modern sounds like rap, trap, hip-hop.

But she's not unknown to the US Markets:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-latin/rosalia-artist-you-need-to-know-interview-758452/

img?regionKey=vEwDMBhk5UdujkDXXYkhZA==&s

50 Best Albums of 2018:
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/50-best-albums-2018-764071/rosalia-el-mal-querer-764147/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, killuridols said:

Personally, I find the lyrics to SCOM beautiful, with a touch of innocence that is shocking for anyone who owns the AFD album. Because you have those lyrics and you also have the "turn around bitch, I've got an use for you" :confused:

I like these lyrics not because they are the art of a super poet but because they sound honest and sincere. The "Sweet Child" does exist, she does have blue eyes and her hair is beautiful. She is not the invention of a poetic mind, she's a real human being called Erin Everly and I think Axl did a great job at describing her, both physically and emotionally.

Not sure what's the sappy thing about it.... I mean, why can't a man love a woman and express it with words of love and affection? :question: 

Maybe if I didn't know that these lyrics are about Erin, I'd find it a sappy song. For me, the lyrics take a whole different meaning when you know they are inspired by a real person and a real relationship.

It's hard to say what he means in the lines where he talks about thunders and rain. It could be a literal thing and it could be something metaphoric as well. If we analyze the lyrics, it begins saying that her smile reminds him of childhood memories where everything was as fresh as the bright blue sky. So, it's not all so bad in childhood. Then he talks about her hair, her eyes, also implies that those eyes think of "rain" and he hates to see the pain in them, which means that he's talking about Erin's life too.

IMO, he mixes feelings of love for this girl with memories from his childhood but also connected with the troubled relationship he has with her and their troubled lives. Because Erin also has a history of a complicated childhood.

The personal description adds to the sincerity. Rather than be generally about girls and being in love, same thing with Don't Cry, My Michelle obviously, Rocket Queen, Estranged, November Rain. He (Axl) and Izzy are cathartically writing, bleeding if you will, their stories. Basic subjects like love can be elevated with good writing-see "Good Vibrations" by the Beach Boys, or Queen songs like "You Take My Breathe Away". Not saying SCOM is a masterpiece or even in the top 5 of GN'R ballads, but I think it gets a bad wrap unfairly sometimes

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Not saying SCOM is a masterpiece or even in the top 5 of GN'R ballads, but I think it gets a bad wrap unfairly sometimes

Honestly, I don't know anyone who doesn't like this song or has a low opinion of it. :question:

It is one of the most famous GN'R songs. A world hit. Played anywhere you go. Casuals attend shows becuase of this song. I mean... only in this forum it is now being subject of scrutiny but outside here almost no one dislikes this song.

The only person who, sort of trashed it, was Slash :lol: but not about the lyrics, just the Intro part that he created himself.

I think he said that when he was mad at Axl and at people who constantly asked him about Guns N' Roses prior to their reunion :P

35 minutes ago, killuridols said:

The only person who, sort of trashed it, was Slash :lol: but not about the lyrics, just the Intro part that he created himself.

"Uptempo ballads are the gayest thing you can write." :lol:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/slash_remembers_thinking_of_sweet_child_as_one_of_the_gayest_things_you_can_write_this_is_why_i_didnt_like_that_song.html

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yeah, that's what I thought. It is a shock to have SCOM and the other sexist lyrics all in one album :shrugs:

But it happens with the Illusions too... 

8 hours ago, Graeme said:

Well, aye, that's the entire point. This is music and it's subjective, you shouldn't be able to use logic to convince someone to adopt your opinion, but it's still fun to explain why you have those opinions.

But do you not also judge a band on their output, their songwriting and recording legacy? The 2006ish band produced no discernible material. The originals produced four albums of exceptional quality within a fairly short period and the Bucket era Nugnr at least produced Chinese and a bunch of unreleased outtakes (if we believe the rumours).

All the 2006 band did was do an album-less tour and throw a bunch of overdubs onto Chinese before folding.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

But do you not also judge a band on their output, their songwriting and recording legacy? The 2006ish band produced no discernible material. The originals produced four albums of exceptional quality within a fairly short period and the Bucket era Nugnr at least produced Chinese and a bunch of unreleased outtakes (if we believe the rumours).

All the 2006 band did was do an album-less tour and throw a bunch of overdubs onto Chinese before folding.

No, I'm judging this on the fact that the most fun I had as a GN'R fan happened between 2006 and 2010.

1 hour ago, Draguns said:

You missed out on the REAL era of GNR. Nothing will ever compare to the 87-93 era. That era was pure magic for the band. 

Lol, nah.

I've seen GNR in 91, 92, 93, 02, 06, 11, 12 & 16. I can tell you that all of my top GNR shows come from 02 - 16.

• Like 4

I know i've posted a few too many opinions but, heres another

Don't understand the infatuation with 2002 GNR... ill give ya the Boston show, other wise Axl sounds like a dying goose, and Buckethead for ALL of his magical playing doesn't seem to fit the music. He was better as a writer for GN'R than playing songs like Nightrain for me haha. And this doesn't come from a "Slash is better" or whatever mentality, Robin sounded WAAAY better on GN'R tunes for me. If i wanna listen to bucket, ill go to his deep solo catalogue.. not Guns N' Roses for god's sake.. I'd sell all the soundboards and recordings from 2002 for a hand pick of one of the UYI or Appetite tour proshots.. The only NuGNR that really appeals to me is a few '06 shows and mainly the 2009/10 show, they were a well oiled machine, even with Ashba in 10, Ron and Fortus kept it going, Axl sounded great and looked like he was a having fun

5 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

The only NuGNR that really appeals to me is a few '06 shows and mainly the 2009/10 show, they were a well oiled machine, even with Ashba in 10, Ron and Fortus kept it going, Axl sounded great and looked like he was a having fun

Even with Ashba fucking up the solos, 09/10 was amazing, and Axl was on FIRE. 

What the hell happened between then and Rio? 11-14 was definitely the worst period for Guns.

• Like 2