What's your unpopular GN'R opinion?

9 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Lol, nah.

I've seen GNR in 91, 92, 93, 02, 06, 11, 12 & 16. I can tell you that all of my top GNR shows come from 02 - 16.

2016 was awesome as well. The NU GNR era from 02-14 not so much. When you see for yourself that GNR is playing in a half filled arena in a location that are big GNR supporters then you know that the band was done at that point.  I have to say that the opening show for Hammerstein, which I attended, was awesome. 

2016 started a new era for the band, which I am looking forward to!

5 minutes ago, Draguns said:

2016 was awesome as well. The NU GNR era from 02-14 not so much. When you see for yourself that GNR is playing in a half filled arena in a location that are big GNR supporters then you know that the band was done at that point.  I have to say that the opening show for Hammerstein, which I attended, was awesome. 

2016 started a new era for the band, which I am looking forward to!

I was at that Hammerstein show too :) Having said that, the size of the crowd has never matttered to me. A good show is a good show whether it's in front of 10 people or 100,000 people. At least that's my opinion. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, killuridols said:

Aside from all this "technical" and "medical" stuff, which is true of course, I've also found myself cringing at the sound of those voices lately.

It's been so long since I have listened to the genre, to those singers, because I don't listen to rock anymore (or barely listen to rock) that whenever I hear Axl and those guys who sang like him, I want to cover my ears and run away :lol:

This is why I think Axl should try a new form of singing, not only because his throat is destroyed but because that kind of singing is passé and his natural voice is actually cool enough to make a change for his own good.

Or at least be more judicious with which one of his voices he uses with which song, he makes some awful choices in that regard.  Like that weird pantomime evil voice he used for Sympathy for the Devil, he does a version of it on Pretty Tied Up and though it suits PTU quite well it makes a barrel of shite out of Sympathy.  God knows the boy can sing a few different ways, I think you make a really good point here.  But I guess the way its look at its like a commodity and a certain style he did was like, saleable, as he stands he's kinda like trading off a brand and certain thing thats expected of him, in his twilight years its about padding out the pension so it'd be a bit of a risk for him to do something like, y'know, Axls album of French crooning standard, je ne regrette ne rein or Axl Sings Albert Chevaliers Hits :lol:  Actually, I'd love to see the last one!

Axl would knock this one out of the park in his Down on the Farm voice :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

That did sound pompous a bit come to think of it, although it is difficult to discuss opera without sounding pompous, such is its reputation.

But you know what I mean? Opera singers are on a completely different plateau. 

At any rate, I can't imagine them chucking their mic down and throwin' a paddy halfway through a gig, having turned up 2 hours late cuz they were garling lemon and honey and watching an American netball game.

39 minutes ago, parisrocks said:

Oh My God is top 5 in the Guns catalogue

Top 5 what, Top 5 reasons that all those involved in the creation of it should be slung in the tumbrils, paraded through town whilst having rotten vegetables and dung thrown at them before being lynched on the steps of the town hall?

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I judge bands to a great extent on their productivity writing and recording. 

That is an economic way of thinking, not an artistic one. Productivity and big quantities doen t mean quality or being relevant, certainly not in the artistic niche.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LauraS said:

That is an economic way of thinking, not an artistic one. Productivity and big quantities doen t mean quality or being relevant, certainly not in the artistic niche.

You can only judge quality and relevancy on something. Guns don't release anything.

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Opera singers are of course technically gifted but who cares if the music isn't any good. 

You'd find it is vastly superior to rock music. 

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Funny. I judge them by the quality of the music they play. 

I suppose you love Buckethead then, since he is so productive?

I do like a lot of his stuff actually. I praised him highly in the conversation above.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

You can only judge quality and relevancy on something. Guns don't release.

You'd find it is vastly superior to rock music. 

Are you saying that only bands that are currently releasing music can be judged? Oh, Diesel :lol:

Opera is vastly superior to rock? Err, I have been to quite a few opera concerts around the world, and had a period where I listened to it a lot. But no, I VASTLY PREFER rock, which is a sentiment I share by all other people who prefer rock, and the number who prefer rock is VASTLY SUPERIOR to the number who prefer opera. So there you have it. I also find a great proportion of people who rave about opera to be pretentious wankers.

• Like 1

Just now, SoulMonster said:

Are you saying that only bands that are currently releasing music can be judged? Oh, Diesel :lol:

Opera is vastly superior to rock? Err, I have been to quite a few opera concerts around the world, and had a period where I listened to it a lot. But no, I VASTLY PREFER rock, which is a sentiment I share by all other people who prefer rock, and the number who prefer rock is VASTLY SUPERIOR to the number who prefer opera. So there you have it. I also find a great proportion of people who rave about opera to be pretentious wankers.

I am saying the only way one can judge the quality of a product is if there is an actual product with which to judge to begin with! Seeing as Guns N' Roses do not release stuff there is a complete vacuum.

Well, we are very different people you and I. You hadn't heard of The Supreme's ''Baby Love'' so I cannot think much of your knowledge of popular music, and regarding opera-classical you had barely heard of your own country's great national composer when I once had a conversation with you.

And ironically, many of them are legends!

Morricone, a genius of film scores, at number 2.

Elvis Presley

Miles Davis 

Ray Charles 

Johnny Cash

BB

That list does seem to demonstrate a correlation between productivity and quality.

• Like 1

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

I am saying the only way one can judge the quality of a product is if there is an actual product with which to judge to begin with! Seeing as Guns N' Roses do not release stuff there is a complete vacuum.

Well, we are very different people you and I. You hadn't heard of The Supreme's ''Baby Love'' so I cannot think much of your knowledge of popular music, and regarding opera-classical you had barely heard of your own country's great national composer when I once had a conversation with you.

But why can't you judge them by the records they have released? :lol: I suppose you can't rate Elvis either then? How fresh must a record by for you to be able to rate it? Does it expire after one week? One month? One year? :lol:

This has nothing to do with you and I. You are claiming that opera is vastly superior to rock. Fine. That is your subjective opinion and there is no right or wrong here. I am pointing out that most people disagree with you. And if music is judged by how many people appreciate it, then all the technical skills of opera singers isn't doing much good.

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

But why can't you judge them by the records they have released? :lol: I suppose you can't rate Elvis either then? How fresh must a record by for you to be able to rate it? Does it expire after one week? One month? One year? :lol:

I agree and do so.

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

This has nothing to do with you and I. You are claiming that opera is vastly superior to rock. Fine. That is your subjective opinion and there is no right or wrong here. I am pointing out that most people disagree with you. And if music is judged by how many people appreciate it, then all the technical skills of opera singers isn't doing much good.

This argument has little logic considering rock itself is dwarfed by pop and rap/hip-hop commercially. It also carries little weight with me considering I listen to all sorts of obscure stuff, some of it more esoteric than opera.

Reminds me of wankers who rave over experimental jazz musicians trying to convince others the music is good because they are so technically good, or can't fathom why other people don't like Yngwie Malmsteen when he can play soooo fast :lol: Technical ability only means something when it translates to good music.

• Like 2

Reminds me of wankers who rave over experimental jazz musicians trying to convince others the music is good because they are so technically good, or can't fathom why other people don't like Yngwie Malmsteen when he can play soooo fast :lol: Technical ability only means something when it translates to good music.

Nobody has really cited technical ability though so yet again you're dealing in straw men.

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

God knows the boy can sing a few different ways, I think you make a really good point here.  But I guess the way its look at its like a commodity and a certain style he did was like, saleable, as he stands he's kinda like trading off a brand and certain thing thats expected of him, in his twilight years its about padding out the pension so it'd be a bit of a risk for him to do something like, y'know, Axls album of French crooning standard, je ne regrette ne rein or Axl Sings Albert Chevaliers Hits :lol:  Actually, I'd love to see the last one!

W00t? O_o 

LOL No! :lol: 

I didn't mean that he has to change for that kind of singing. I'm talking about a voice similar to "Patience" voice or OIAM, you know, his low register which is actually his natural speaking voice.

But Yeah, I understand that his screechy voice is his trademark and people expect that from him. Not me, though.... I think that kind of voice is cringe in 2019 and that he can't reach those high notes anymore. At least, not in a live show.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I agree and do so.

This argument has little logic considering rock itself is dwarfed by pop and rap/hip-hop commercially. It also carries little weight with me considering I listen to all sorts of obscure stuff, some of it more esoteric than opera.

You agree and do what? Stop judging a band when the haven't released anything? So by that logic you can't compare Beatles to anything contemporary.

What? The fact that rock is more popular than opera has "little logic" because pop and hip hop are even more popular? Seriously? :lol:

• Like 1