What's your unpopular GN'R opinion?

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

You obviously are your own being and none of us should have the nerve to deny your experience, your joy and the feelings you had when you saw the band in the 00's, but people who were not alive or aware of GN'R during the mid 80s and 90s, also cannot deny what we experienced back then. Neither have the nerve to deny the legacy and the original people who created the music that allowed Axl Rose to play shows in the 00's, using the benefits of a name that was built on the shoulders of other 4 guys, aside from himself.

I'm not trying to do that, though, and I haven't done that anywhere on this thread, or (to my knowledge) on this forum. I'm not comparing what I experienced in the 00s to what you experienced in the 90s in a statistical sense... You had people queueing up outside stores for hours before the Illusions came out and Guns were the biggest contemporary artists in existence. It was a different world. 

It doesn't mean in 2006, when the leaks happened, the Trunk interview, the Hammerstein shows, the Rock in Rio and Inland Invasion webcasts, the rumours of the album release, etc. that it wasn't a hugely exciting and fun time for a lot of fans of the band (including some people who had experienced everything you did, like @RussTCB). You've seen more people than me on this thread say that they felt the same. 

7 minutes ago, Draguns said:

PS: I hate political correctness, but I kindly ask not to use the word "retard" in that manner again. It's offensive to me. Even though I have a physical disability, I've been told that in my life. It ticks me off and not just because I've been told that. It's also what I have seen from people with developmental disabilities.  Thanks 

Of course, my apologies. I should have used another word in the first instance.

Also sorry if my post came across as an attack on you, it was more of a counterargument against the general argument that CD-era fans are 'lesser', and your post just happened to be the first one to argue against what I'd been saying with the 'REAL' band line.

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

With me it is more a case of, written and released,

- Old band: 4 allbums

- Buckethead era band: 1 album albeit delayed

- 2006 band: null

The old band wrote at least 80% of Guns N' Roses's music whereas the 2006 band wrote nothing to the best of our knowledge (although it did contribute overdubs to the Buckethead era's album).

Now if you love Chinese - really love Chinese with a passion - I can just about grasp the idea of somebody preferring the circa 2002 band, but am clueless why somebody would opt for a band who produced no written Guns N' Roses material.

You're talking as if it was a completely different band... There was only a two-person difference, who between them had writing credits on three songs (Shackler's, Scraped and Sorry). Most of the members with writing credits (Rose, Reed, Finck, Stinson, Pitman) were still there. It's not like the creative nucleus had been ripped out. I also like Ron's additions, and he's the only guitarist to feature on every track, so he definitely left his mark.

Also, the shows I saw made a big impression in terms of endearing that band to me. I'm not the only person in this thread to talk about how great Glasgow '06 was.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I'm not trying to do that, though, and I haven't done that anywhere on this thread, or (to my knowledge) on this forum. I'm not comparing what I experienced in the 00s to what you experienced in the 90s in a statistical sense... You had people queueing up outside stores for hours before the Illusions came out and Guns were the biggest contemporary artists in existence. It was a different world. 

I'm not saying you've done that but you kinda generalized the behavior of the fans of the first hour and I don't think that's the case for all people. That's why I tried to remind you that some people who believe CD is the best GN'R album ever and the 00's lineups are better than the original, well, SOME of those people are also aggressive, not only towards other fans but towards the very same band members that made a huge name of GN'R. 

49 minutes ago, Graeme said:

It doesn't mean in 2006, when the leaks happened, the Trunk interview, the Hammerstein shows, the Rock in Rio and Inland Invasion webcasts, the rumours of the album release, etc. that it wasn't a hugely exciting and fun time for a lot of fans of the band (including some people who had experienced everything you did, like @RussTCB). You've seen more people than me on this thread say that they felt the same. 

I really doubt 2006 was remotely close to 1991 and 1992.

Yeah, it was exciting because Axl was out and about and it all pointed to the idea that he was going to finally release the album (an album some fans had been waiting since 1999 or so). However, the whole shit got dismantled again and the disappointment was even bigger than in the 90s.

Lies and the Illusions were only 2 years apart. Fans knew the band was active, that they were going on a tour, there was an specific release date and people saw evidence of it. We were all happy kids, discovering life and the band.

During those years, the environment wasn't contaminated of bad vibes like in the 00's, when we had already seen the darkest side of original GN'R, with their legal battles, media scandals and the never-ending war of Axl vs. the old line-up.

And the worst part is to know that in 2006, Axl was totally lying to his Fans, because that album wasn't going to come out until late 2008. The rest is sad history.

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

You're talking as if it was a completely different band... There was only a two-person difference, who between them had writing credits on three songs (Shackler's, Scraped and Sorry). Most of the members with writing credits (Rose, Reed, Finck, Stinson, Pitman) were still there. It's not like the creative nucleus had been ripped out. I also like Ron's additions, and he's the only guitarist to feature on every track, so he definitely left his mark.

Also, the shows I saw made a big impression in terms of endearing that band to me. I'm not the only person in this thread to talk about how great Glasgow '06 was.

Ripping Buckethead out was basically ripping any chance nugnr had at succeeding. I think it made a huge difference.

I was at Newcastle 2006 and Rose didn't arrive until after 11. He got almost to the end of the show before stomping off in a rage. He then returned to finish the song he was playing before stomping off again without playing ''Paradise City''. Yes, great it was!!

• Haha 1

- Slash should quit doing these mega long solo sections at the shows. The stuff he plays is not interesting enough to do it, it's just noodling. Boring.

- Steven Adler made GNR sound cool. The more time passes by, the clearer it is to me.

- They shouldn't dress like their 20year old selves anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 29/03/2019 at 2:59 PM, Graeme said:

Nah, I disagree with you all. I thought things like the Rock Am Ring Nightrain solo where Ron was just throwing everything at it were jawdropping, and there were a lot of solos like that in his first year in the band where you had this guy who could do it all getting to treat these classic rock songs like a blank canvas and just go wild (as well as replicate the records note for note when he wanted to). I don't know, maybe I like musicians to seem a bit more human and a bit less theatrical, I found Bucket tough to relate to.

Couldn't agree more, I quite liked his early twat solos when he was using a Les Paul.

Excellent solos from Bucket on CD tho

Bumblefoot is the best guitarist on Chinese Democracy and could’ve written some great songs with Axl 

SMKC are way more interesting than GNR post 2011 and each album has been better than the last. Living The Dream was a great record

2016 Axl voice was overrated. He’s been mostly poor-awful since 2011 and has gotten worse with each passing year 

Axl has some nerve getting up onstage and performing in such a sorry state and regularly embarrasses himself

• Confused 1

On 3/30/2019 at 10:54 AM, Len Cnut said:

Top 5 what, Top 5 reasons that all those involved in the creation of it should be slung in the tumbrils, paraded through town whilst having rotten vegetables and dung thrown at them before being lynched on the steps of the town hall?

Yup, you got it!  I just didn't wanna spend that much time writing something so wordy and not funny.  Enjoy Game of Thrones and the active dating scene.

36 minutes ago, EricA said:

Ha, now i've finally found my most unpopular opinion, the (my) GnR world has changed, today 3 years ago, to a much better one !

Yes, April 1st 2016, one of the most exciting days of my life! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, parisrocks said:

Yup, you got it!  I just didn't wanna spend that much time writing something so wordy and not funny.  Enjoy Game of Thrones and the active dating scene.

Yeah I see you opted for a whole two lines less there chief, well done :lol:

28 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah I see you opted for a whole two lines less there chief, well done :lol:

Active dating scene and Game of Thrones? You should have corrected such nonsense. A romantic weekend for you includes a blackwhite movie with John McMacho, a bag of bird seeds and some sedatives.

7 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Active dating scene and Game of Thrones? You should have corrected such nonsense. A romantic weekend for you includes a blackwhite movie with John McMacho, a bag of bird seeds and some sedatives.

Well I didnt know what active dating and Game of Thrones was precisely so I couldn’t really :lol:  Game of Thrones is either a TV show or a computer game, a sort of Conan the Barbarianey one and Active Dating, fuck knows, I assumed that meant like some kind of sad Norman lonely hearts kind of set up.  Either way its best not to assume.  

John McMacho :lol:

27 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

American drone attacks?

Well they wouldn't be living if they were subject to that, would they? :lol:  Well, actually, crippled perhaps? :lol:

23 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Shouldn't Len's parents sort him out with a wife, anyway? Or is his lisp a deal breaker? 

There's a funny story behind that actually, y'know the woman I call Mum?  Well...

:lol:

27 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Don't forget about the stable of swans in his backyard

They're called pens you ignorant swine :lol:  Which, incidentally, is what a female swan is also called.  Confuses the fuck out of em, lemme tell ya.  Not that it makes a difference where they're headed *cue Norman Bates smile*

• Haha 1