What's your unpopular GN'R opinion?

11 minutes ago, Edward Nygma said:

A dilemma when Axl & Guns decide if Bucketheads contributions should remain on future material. I'm torn (I'm all out faith this is how I feel) do Guns scrub Bucket's immense talent from the next album & let Slash loose with the tracks & maybe add an extra layer...what's the deal?

Hopefully it stays... I really wanna hear Slash and Bucket together.

• Like 2

Izzy ultimately benefited the most from being in this band. The other 4 would have become big stars (to varying degrees) with other bands, Izzy's boring dad rock mentality would have never made it out of the 80s without the other guys boosting his sound. Which is not to diminish his impact on the band, but I don't think anyone would know his name if he had been in a different band.

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

Off the top of my head:

1. Guns N' Roses as a unit were peaking creatively (especially Axl and Slash) ~ 1994-2001. That's about 2 albums/tours we missed out on where we could have seen the band mature and deliver some incredible performances without a lot of the bullshit and drama that plagued the Illusion albums and tour. Yes, I think that period had all the potential in the world to surpass the Appetite/Illusion era from a creative standpoint. They quit on the verge of the band reaching greatness.

2. In hindsight, they broke up at the right time - they never diminished themselves like Metallica in the mid-90's. They left on their own terms and on the strongest possible note at the height of their fame.

3. Nu-Guns should never have existed. Looking at it now, that era has diminished their legacy. GnR should have regrouped in the late 90's or by 2006 at the latest had they wanted a shot at becoming a Stones tier band.

3. As weak as TSI is compared to the earlier albums, it's still pretty solid. The problem is with the cover songs they selected not being all that good of a fit. The album is produced well and as a band, they sound fantastic on the record. SFTD is another track where the production and sound excel. Clink and the band are in sync and I think it wouldn't be a stretch to think the '96 album would have been a gem had they gotten their shit together. One of the biggest missed opportunities in GnR fandom is that '96 album. 

4. Slash is thoroughly average as a creative force without a major talent like Axl or Michael Jackson channeling his efforts. 

5. Axl Rose had a short shelf-life as an artist and creative force. While I believe he had much potential, ultimately the man was unfocused and pissed away so much talent in Nu-Guns that one has to wonder if the emperor had no clothes by '94 and Slash/Duff knew it. 

6. Slash has been lazy with his compositions post-Axl. I used to think he was a spontaneous, don't overthink it type musician like Izzy but I suspect there's also an element of laziness in developing his work further. Rough drafts need additional drafts to perfect and going by Slash's solo work, I don't think he really cares to dig in and  take the time make something great. It's not efficient - Slash's work ethic and MO seems to be driven by efficiency and getting shit done. 

7. Slash is a control freak. He never really wanted a strong creative partner on equal footing with him like Izzy. Going by his post-Guns work, he seems to greatly prefer hired guns that he can use as session players to achieve his vision. Basically, he operates in a similar manner to Axl Rose. 

8. GnR has no creative juice left and nothing they ever do at this point will even come near Chinese Democracy, let alone AFD and UYI. There's a time and place for everything and this band has missed the boat. If Axl does not have finished 90's/00's vocals in the vault - don't even bother with new music. Let the legacy of the band stand as it is now and release the Chinese leftovers to streaming.

9. Duff is a smooth operator and possibly the most ruthless of the bunch in financial matters. He may be the most changed out of the entire band. I imagine he's largely driving the business engine of GnR. I also suspect he had a larger part to play in Izzy and Steven being out of the reunion than most think.

Something about Duff nearly dieing makes number 9 sound the most likely. He seems very no-nonsense at this point. Whereas Slash and Axl just seem like, "whatever..". I could honestly say the same about Steven. He lets his emotions get the best of him sometimes, but I feel like if he could have toured with them, he would have been the sharpest and most put together (which from every bootleg I've heard him on, still seems to ring true) ironically 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Something about Duff nearly dieing makes number 9 sound the most likely. He seems very no-nonsense at this point. Whereas Slash and Axl just seem like, "whatever..". I could honestly say the same about Steven. He lets his emotions get the best of him sometimes, but I feel like if he could have toured with them, he would have been the sharpest and most put together (which from every bootleg I've heard him on, still seems to ring true) ironically 

Agree about duff. A more mature person who probably realises how much money was pissed away during the illusion tours and the managers who made decisions the ty all regret, and would be different have they had the maturity they have now. Is the relationship between axl, slash and duff close to a brotherhood because they have talked about this and agree and made a decision not to make the same mistakes twice?. Im sure these points have been discussed between the band members in conversations. More so when duff met axl for the first time when he was sober and thought deep down if he ever had the chance to be in guns fulltime again he would be the bands financial keeper.

Point 3, nuguns should have been formally called WAR and be an axl solo project. The guns n roses name was diluted to embarrassment with DJ assbandit coming in. I dont think axl could have gone lower.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • GNFNR 1

1. Chinese Democracy - Better is awful song, But the new intro Live is so heavy and cool...

2. I can't stand the Seeker

3. The box set is a huge disappointment. 

4. Fortus is the 2nd Best Guitarist GNR ever had. Izzy hasn't played professionally in how long? 

5. Frank gets too much hate, I like Steven on Rocket Queen better.

6. I don't really care to see the other original members: Steven, Izzy. 

7. Axl sounds better now than he did in the use your illusion tour. Too much rasp back then.

8. Bring back Tracy and Roberta :)

9. I'd like to see more colabs and special guests show up that they play with (Dave Grohl, P!NK)

10. Not a fan of the god father theme from Slash. I'd rather hear Fortus do the James Bond Theme. 

1 hour ago, bt88 said:

That this forum and forums like it distort everything and aren't reflections of reality. The general public view on this tour was that it was a pleasantly surprising success. The average joe doesn't spend time debating Frank's drumming, Steven/Izzy (this tour's sales shows you all you need to know about how much they mattered), Axl's voice performances on different nights. People had a blast at the shows and the forum debates make it seems like everything is awful. 

This is true - but it still makes me laugh when I find a NITL vid with decent Axl vocals and find comments to the effect of "Axl's voice is as amazing as it's ever been", "He keeps getting better with age".

4 hours ago, bt88 said:

That this forum and forums like it distort everything and aren't reflections of reality. The general public view on this tour was that it was a pleasantly surprising success. The average joe doesn't spend time debating Frank's drumming, Steven/Izzy (this tour's sales shows you all you need to know about how much they mattered), Axl's voice performances on different nights. People had a blast at the shows and the forum debates make it seems like everything is awful. 

I really dont understand how the average fan can stump up 200.00 or so for a ticket because of 2 songs they maybe a fan of, which is scom and paradise city.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I really dont understand how the average fan can stump up 200.00 or so for a ticket because of 2 songs they maybe a fan of, which is scom and paradise city.

Sometimes I wonder if the success of the tour wasnt so much the nostalgia of a few hit songs but more that it was a fear of missing out thing. It was 'water cooler talk' and one would be a social outsider if they didnt have their "I was at the GNR show" anecdote. Producing months worth of inside jokes about who had mullets back in the day and such until Guns passed through town again and now its a work outing. 

Just a silly theory I have. But if true $200 tickets might be more of a "been there, done that" response next time round.

4 hours ago, soon said:

Sometimes I wonder if the success of the tour wasnt so much the nostalgia of a few hit songs but more that it was a fear of missing out thing. It was 'water cooler talk' and one would be a social outsider if they didnt have their "I was at the GNR show" anecdote. Producing months worth of inside jokes about who had mullets back in the day and such until Guns passed through town again and now its a work outing. 

Just a silly theory I have. But if true $200 tickets might be more of a "been there, done that" response next time round.

That's it 100 per cent I think. I've seen it time and time again with bands. 

People don't want to 'lose out' so they trot off, buy the tickets, buy the t-shirts, dress up in a bandanna, make 'rock n roll' poses,  post all over their social media how great it was, how they just can't believe they got to see GNR, BEST BAND EVAAAAH etc. Then next summer they do the same for someone else. It's sort of the way the music industry has gone now - the idea of being a genuine 'big fan' of something has been replaced with a mass swirl and churn of falseness and empty sentiments. Everyone is a 'big fan' for five minutes, because they feel they may look stupid or left out. Fuck all that - give me a genuine, sincere fan of fucking Justin Bieber over a lot of the shallow, culture-sucking bores that NITL flushed out. 

Also let's not forget that high ticket prices do a pretty good job of washing away genuine fans in favour of those with loads of cash. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

On 17/04/2019 at 9:05 PM, Sydney Fan said:

Point 3, nuguns should have been formally called WAR and be an axl solo project. The guns n roses name was diluted to embarrassment with DJ assbandit coming in. I dont think axl could have gone lower.

I believe it was embarassing from the get go lol Axl never had the chops to carry the band by himself so everything else was just a "plus". From the industrial boys and towell waves to a 80s poser and a nice virtuoso boy Everything was out of the loop for GNR. 

Edit: Talkin of the virtuosos, I feel even more unconfortable about them than DJ Ashba. I kind of think Ashba was still a closer call to what could be a GNR member. 

Edited by default_

44 minutes ago, default_ said:

I believe it was embarassing from the get go lol Axl never had the chops to carry the band by himself so everything else was just a "plus". From the industrial boys and towell waves to a 80s poser and a nice virtuoso boy Everything was out of the loop for GNR. 

Edit: Talkin of the virtuosos, I feel even more unconfortable about them than DJ Ashba. I kind of think Ashba was still a closer call to what could be a GNR member. 

Im sure if 87 axl could see into the future and see a 2014 axl playing in vegas with the flying piano, 87 axl woukd have given 2015 axl a swift kick in the nuts.

Ashba has the perfect look for sixxam and any emo band, but with some cringy intros ive seen on youtube when he plays jungle, nah not a good fit style wise and skill wise for gnr. 

2 hours ago, Fourteenbeers said:

Aiheeseen liittyvä kuva

There you go. You can't get much more genuine than this. 

Brilliant! 

Probably still rather spend time chatting to her than some dick in a black curly wig and a cardboard top-hat, posing for a selfie with his back to the stage as GNR play though! 

6 hours ago, allwaystired said:

That's it 100 per cent I think. I've seen it time and time again with bands. 

People don't want to 'lose out' so they trot off, buy the tickets, buy the t-shirts, dress up in a bandanna, make 'rock n roll' poses,  post all over their social media how great it was, how they just can't believe they got to see GNR, BEST BAND EVAAAAH etc. Then next summer they do the same for someone else. It's sort of the way the music industry has gone now - the idea of being a genuine 'big fan' of something has been replaced with a mass swirl and churn of falseness and empty sentiments. Everyone is a 'big fan' for five minutes, because they feel they may look stupid or left out. Fuck all that - give me a genuine, sincere fan of fucking Justin Bieber over a lot of the shallow, culture-sucking bores that NITL flushed out. 

Also let's not forget that high ticket prices do a pretty good job of washing away genuine fans in favour of those with loads of cash. 

Yeah seeing some of the articles and posing that ive seen with Coachella :facepalm:. But this is also the down side with social media to i think. 

Just now, Sydney Fan said:

Yeah seeing some of the articles and posing that ive seen with Coachella :facepalm:. But this is also the down side with social media to i think. 

It's also so much easier now to pretend you're a 'big fan' of something. It used to be you had to put some effort, time, and dedication into it. Even getting things like band shirts wasn't easy - you had to find the right shops that sold the cool ones etc. Now all you need to do is stick crap all over social media and tell people what a fan you are. A victory for the brash attention seekers over the quiet dedicated. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

It's also so much easier now to pretend you're a 'big fan' of something. It used to be you had to put some effort, time, and dedication into it. Even getting things like band shirts wasn't easy - you had to find the right shops that sold the cool ones etc. Now all you need to do is stick crap all over social media and tell people what a fan you are. A victory for the brash attention seekers over the quiet dedicated. 

Yep wearing a band shirt used to be a right of passage and mean something. And when you saw someone else wearing a shirt of said band it was kind of like being part of a tribe. Now days not so much.

Edited by Sydney Fan

Just now, Sydney Fan said:

Yep wearing a band shirt used to be a right of passage and mean something. Now days not so much.

Ramones t-shirts seemed to be the first that brought in that whole "wear a band t-shirt even though you never listen to the band" thing a few years ago. Now it';s everywhere. 

My low point was going to see GNR a few years back, having a drink beforehand and noticing the woman next to me had a GNR shirt one. I sad "oh, looking forward to the concert?" and she looked at me blankly, asked me what I meant. I said "the concert? Tonight?" and pointed at her shirt. She said "ah right. I don't know anything about them. Are they playing a concert somewhere then?" That opened my eyes a bit! 

You can buy band shirts in any shitty high-street chain store now. It's almost embarrassing wearing them as a fan, rather than something to be proud of. 

• Like 3