What's your unpopular GN'R opinion?

7 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

5. Sad to say perhaps, but Fortus is just a better guitarist.

Malmsteen is even better guitarist... Let's replace Slash and Duff with Yngwie Malmsteen/John Petrucci and Billy Sheehan...

7 hours ago, History2010 said:

What album did you listen to first? I've always heard that it matters what you listen to first. I started with all the big AFD hits and went from there. 

I started with Appetite and moved to Illusions from there. I used to be an 87-93 purist and refused to listen to Chinese and now it's my favorite album by any band ever. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, acor said:

Malmsteen is even better guitarist... Let's replace Slash and Duff with Yngwie Malmsteen/John Petrucci and Billy Sheehan...

Slash replaced Malmsteen once...

2 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

I like the beat on My World so fuck you all

Good jam for what it is

I just learned recently in some documentary I watched that Slash replaced him in the band Steeler..  I assume the information was accurate but that was the first I remember hearing of it..

* I Just looked at the bands wiki and there is no mention of Slash but they definitely said it on some documentary I watched on Amazon prime.  I watch a ton so I am not exactly sure which one it was.

7 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I just learned recently in some documentary I watched that Slash replaced him in the band Steeler..  I assume the information was accurate but that was the first I remember hearing of it..

* I Just looked at the bands wiki and there is no mention of Slash but they definitely said it on some documentary I watched on Amazon prime.  I watch a ton so I am not exactly sure which one it was.

That's cool, but they are two totally different players. 

On 5/24/2019 at 3:25 PM, double talkin jive mfkr said:

1991 warm up shows is the best version of GNR 

This is the unpopular opinion thread, not the GNR facts thread!

Edited by Ant
  • Like 2

I think the Illusion albums might be more of the "true" sound of GN'R than AFD.  By that, I mean songs like Dust N' Bones, Breakdown, KOHD, Yesterdays, Bad Apples, Bad Obsession, 14 Years.  Songs like that.  Kind of a country/folksy tinge to the sound.  Also I think there's kind of an experimental/artistic edge to their sound that is captured in stuff like Locomotive and Coma and those are found on the Illusion albums.  Rocket Queen kind of has that in the masterful outro it switches to near the end of the song though and that's on AFD.  I could be completely wrong here.  It's just if I'm thinking of unpopular opinions, the idea that maybe the Illusions might be more the sound of what GN'R really is, that's all I've got off the top of my head

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

the sound they got in the Sorum era is the ideal sound of the band.

UYI and TSI is the sound that is the perfect fit for GNR moniker.

That big bombastic sound (Back off, YCBM, DTJ, Perfect crime, Right next door, Locomotive, Pretty tied up, Breakdown, Get in the ring...).  AFD sounds like brats on speed.  UYI is rock with brains and feel.

Oddly,  one common thought about UYI was that 'they are overproduced'.  Once someone said that out loud, even the people who didn't own the cd's or were the fans of the band begaun repeating that mantra, yet, nobody could actually ever define 'overproduced' once asked about it.

UYI', IMO, were perfect sound to the perfect band.

For me, the over production comes in the mastering of the albums. I feel like somewhere along the way, we lost the great production value that's in AFD, and the hugeeeee production quality in TSI only shortly later. UYI does feel dated. If you listen to tracks like Dust N' Bones live vs. studio, the live sound (like from the Stockholm shows) seems like a more complete version. Maybe that's just me, but the live versions are far far superior, they sound as if the guys kept working on the tracks as the tour went on. The UYI versions feel like a facsimile in some parts.

Does Double Talkin' Jive really seem like it was fully realized during the  UYI I recording? The ballads definitely feel complete to me, although Don't Cry seems to drag on in the last few bars, and a banjo comes out of nowhere for some reason.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

That big bombastic sound (Back off, YCBM, DTJ, Perfect crime, Right next door, Locomotive, Pretty tied up, Breakdown, Get in the ring...).  AFD sounds like brats on speed.  UYI is rock with brains and feel.

Oddly,  one common thought about UYI was that 'they are overproduced'.  Once someone said that out loud, even the people who didn't own the cd's or were the fans of the band begaun repeating that mantra, yet, nobody could actually ever define 'overproduced' once asked about it.

"Brats on speed", I'm singing that to the melody of "Girls on film".

Edited by lame ass security

On 5/27/2019 at 4:38 AM, shotsfired cro said:

agreed now if anyone was the conductor not duff by any means it was sorum by his classic proficiency on very technical songs that brought GNR really to the next level the songs you mention could have never been achieved without sorum 

• Like 1