What's your unpopular GN'R opinion?

12 minutes ago, registra said:

Not everyone was around to follow him during the 80's and 90's(unfortunately), and when you were following him during the 2000's I was a kid. Rock and "old" music wouldn't usually be go to usually so it's not like I was listening to all the artists from the 80's and still didn't know who Axl was. I hadn't been exposed to GNR in anyway that I was aware, so I guess I didn't have any reason to expect to know him really. 

And regardless of any of that, nothing I really said was an opinion and you don't need to take me seriously. The reality is that Axl doesn't do brand deals, sponsorship, public appearances or anything that most stars do to generate personal income. If he cared about money, he'd be doing that. And if band members are saying he doesn't care about money, then he probably doesn't. It's not so much defending Axl as thinking that the consensus on here that Axl only cares about money doesn't seem to be based on any evidence.

Saying Axl doesn't care about money because he doesn't do public appearances and sponsorships deals is only telling half the story. How about the fact that he has been mailing in half-assed performances with no new music for the past DECADE? Most bands release an album, tour it for 1-2 yrs and then hit the studio to make another. Don't tell me Axl has continued touring year in, year out from 2011-2019 for the love of the art. It's a cold, hard cashgrab and has been for years now.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, registra said:

And regardless of any of that, nothing I really said was an opinion and you don't need to take me seriously. The reality is that Axl doesn't do brand deals, sponsorship, public appearances or anything that most stars do to generate personal income. If he cared about money, he'd be doing that. And if band members are saying he doesn't care about money, then he probably doesn't. It's not so much defending Axl as thinking that the consensus on here that Axl only cares about money doesn't seem to be based on any evidence.

giphy.gif

• GNFNR 2

13 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Saying Axl doesn't care about money because he doesn't do public appearances and sponsorships deals is only telling half the story. How about the fact that he has been mailing in half-assed performances with no new music for the past DECADE? Most bands release an album, tour it for 1-2 yrs and then hit the studio to make another. Don't tell me Axl has continued touring year in, year out from 2011-2019 for the love of the art. It's a cold, hard cashgrab and has been for years now.

Your right, I'd say it's work for him(think I recall an interview where he said as much in the 90's). Plenty of people work to make a living, his living making more then most. But the portrayal that he souley cares about money or is greedy with money is wrong, cause he has so many money making opportunities that he doesn't take. He makes a living that is far more luxurious then any of ours, but he could be making much more if he was greedy and wanted to.

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

giphy.gif

I acknowledged that in the original post. One ad appearance in 20 years(afaik) doesn't scream greed to me.

Edited by registra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

He probably just cares about maintaining his lifestyle, but he isn't whoring himself out on the level of Gene Simmons or anything...

In the last 10 years he's done a handful of magazine interviews, a tv appearance on Jimmy Kimmel, 3 longer video interviews, and a few advertisements. (Budweiser, that unbelievably expensive watch, and some headphones in 2014 or 2015.) He could've done a lot more, but it's not like he's done nothing as far as appearances and brand deals.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, registra said:

Your right, I'd say it's work for him(think I recall an interview where he said as much in the 90's). Plenty of people work to make a living, his living making more then most. But the portrayal that he souley cares about money or is greedy with money is wrong, cause he has so many money making opportunities that he doesn't take. He makes a living that is far more luxurious then any of ours, but he could be making much more if he was greedy and wanted to.

I acknowledged that in the original post. One ad appearance in 20 years(afaik) doesn't scream greed to me.

What about all of this merchandising rubbish, towels, jigsaw puzzles? Fernando designs this junk but Rose must sign off on it. What about the inflated price of the boxset? Ticket pricing? Rock the Rock?

I would have agreed with you up until about 2009, but these days Rose is demonstrably about cash-grabbing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

He probably just cares about maintaining his lifestyle, but he isn't whoring himself out on the level of Gene Simmons or anything...

In the last 10 years he's done a handful of magazine interviews, a tv appearance on Jimmy Kimmel, 3 longer video interviews, and a few advertisements. (Budweiser, that unbelievably expensive watch, and some headphones in 2014 or 2015.) He could've done a lot more, but it's not like he's done nothing as far as appearances and brand deals.

Yeah looked up but couldn't find any online so presumed, but I was wrong to say just Budweiser. Still, 3 isn't much. I'd  agree with that, maintaining his lifestyle is probably his goal when it comes to money, but nothing much else it seems

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

What about all of this merchandising rubbish, towels, jigsaw puzzles? Fernando designs this junk but Rose must sign off on it. What about the inflated price of the boxset? Ticket pricing? Rock the Rock?

I would have agreed with you up until about 2009, but these days Rose is demonstrably about cash-grabbing. 

The temporary tattoo transfers in the $1k AFD boxset were art!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ive said this before and dont recall any response or uptake, but Ill say it again, lol...

The idea of 'making up for lost time' financially speaking, isnt a completely unpalatable notion to me. One can only speculate on what held Axl back for all those years, but we do know that Slash and Duffs addictions also cut into the money making abilities. So for them to have found stability and professionalism later in their careers, I can understand the idea that one would want to make up for lost revenue. For the money, but also its one thing in their control to repair their pasts. To rebuild their lives.

Its not what I would want as a fan. But I think its one possible explanation for the money grabbing, to some degree.

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I can't imagine he signs off on any of that, I'd imagine he gives full control to Fernando(or whoever there merchandising manager). 

And did he even make of Rock the Rock? Didn't they mention in the interview they just asked him? I'm not sure, but even so I can't imagine he would've made much money of it.

And in terms of ticket prices, are Guns n' Roses much more then similar artists of their scale? I don't go to much shows of that scale, so I don't really know? I got mine for 90 euro, I'm pretty sure Taylor Swift charges almost 200 for a normal ticket, so I was fairly happy with 90. But I don't know exactly what most other artists of that scale are charging so I can't judge too much.

Edited by registra

6 minutes ago, registra said:

I can't imagine he signs off on any of that, I'd imagine he gives full control to Fernando(or whoever there merchandising manager). 

And did he even make of Rock the Rock? Didn't they mention in the interview they just asked him? I'm not sure, but even so I can't imagine he would've made much money of it.

And in terms of ticket prices, are Guns n' Roses much more then similar artists of their scale? I don't go to much shows of that scale, so I don't really know? I got mine for 90 euro, I'm pretty sure Taylor Swift charges almost 200 for a normal ticket, so I was fairly happy with 90. But I don't know exactly what most other artists of that scale are charging so I can't judge too much.

Are we meant to believe that this hitherto ''control freak'' is completely oblivious to the Fernando marketing campaign? 

I guess that Axl now care more about the money because he now is "old", and need some financial stability , most when you are young don't think many about the money.  Axl apparently throw tons of money in his youngs years. Maybe he have afraid about the future, people turn more conservative and greed . And sadly Axl have an huge family to sustain too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

He also mean the spaghetti incident.

Obviously there’s better songs on Spaghetti than UYI. And Production is better. But UYI has bigger hits and more epic tracks. You can probably disregard this post I’ve bin drinking all day. 

1 hour ago, soon said:

Ive said this before and dont recall any response or uptake, but Ill say it again, lol...

The idea of 'making up for lost time' financially speaking, isnt a completely unpalatable notion to me. One can only speculate on what held Axl back for all those years, but we do know that Slash and Duffs addictions also cut into the money making abilities. So for them to have found stability and professionalism later in their careers, I can understand the idea that one would want to make up for lost revenue. For the money, but also its one thing in their control to repair their pasts. To rebuild their lives.

Its not what I would want as a fan. But I think its one possible explanation for the money grabbing, to some degree.

And what does Axl need more money for? 

Not sure what he's doing back in the game but I don't think it's for the money.  He could have stayed gone and been fine financially speaking.  Think you should look for some other reason.  It may just be this is what these folks like to do.  Best job in the world.

6 minutes ago, cineater said:

And what does Axl need more money for? 

Not sure what he's doing back in the game but I don't think it's for the money.  He could have stayed gone and been fine financially speaking.  Think you should look for some other reason.  It may just be this is what these folks like to do.  Best job in the world.

It seems he needed the money to pay wages owed to Pitman. The man would not towel-wave for free! :lol:

Axl bought the Malibu life in the early 90's and then proceeded to eat up all the UYI income on fines, overtime, riots and lavish parties. Following this he faced numerous law suits. Then he didnt do the work that would be anticipated of a rock star when he bought his Malibu life. While Im sure there was still loads of money in accounts receivable the accounts owing file got really big when the Label stopped funding CD. Axl continued on his own dime for a few more years.

I note that most of the big money hires were gone by the time of the albums release (Brain, Finck, BH). Maybe these exists also helped him have the financial freedom to not promote or earn income via touring when CD was finally released? He went another year with no touring income after CDs release. And once he started touring, it wasnt all that long long before arenas shrunk to bowling alleys.

14 minutes ago, cineater said:

Think you should look for some other reason.  It may just be this is what these folks like to do.  Best job in the world.

I had meant to express other reasons in my post. I see Axl, Slash and Duff as being in a process of rebuilding their professional lives after being derailed by addiction and Axlness. I think they do love playing stadiums - I think they are reclaiming that. I think part of their healing is to do all that they can to repair the damage that they caused themselves, including financially. They cant go back in time and not end up covered in Mike Pattons feces, but they do have control over repairing their bank accounts. And I think the act of redressing that aspect of their careers can be seen as a part of their healing. To finally claim their rightful positions in the industry and tend to their legacy.

However, if they love this job so much, why arent they doing so many other aspects of it? Like releasing new music, doing interviews, documentaries, DVDs?? They seem to especially love the one aspect of their jobs....

1 hour ago, soon said:

It seems he needed the money to pay wages owed to Pitman. The man would not towel-wave for free! :lol:

Axl bought the Malibu life in the early 90's and then proceeded to eat up all the UYI income on fines, overtime, riots and lavish parties. Following this he faced numerous law suits. Then he didnt do the work that would be anticipated of a rock star when he bought his Malibu life. While Im sure there was still loads of money in accounts receivable the accounts owing file got really big when the Label stopped funding CD. Axl continued on his own dime for a few more years.

I note that most of the big money hires were gone by the time of the albums release (Brain, Finck, BH). Maybe these exists also helped him have the financial freedom to not promote or earn income via touring when CD was finally released? He went another year with no touring income after CDs release. And once he started touring, it wasnt all that long long before arenas shrunk to bowling alleys.

I had meant to express other reasons in my post. I see Axl, Slash and Duff as being in a process of rebuilding their professional lives after being derailed by addiction and Axlness. I think they do love playing stadiums - I think they are reclaiming that. I think part of their healing is to do all that they can to repair the damage that they caused themselves, including financially. They cant go back in time and not end up covered in Mike Pattons feces, but they do have control over repairing their bank accounts. And I think the act of redressing that aspect of their careers can be seen as a part of their healing. To finally claim their rightful positions in the industry and tend to their legacy.

However, if they love this job so much, why arent they doing so many other aspects of it? Like releasing new music, doing interviews, documentaries, DVDs?? They seem to especially love the one aspect of their jobs....

Why aren't they doing what we think they should to be building fortune and fame is what you're asking?  Fortune and fame is what we think they should be after?  That stuff that happen to them 30 some odd years ago when the band imploded and some of them barely made it out alive?  I guess they have their reasons.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cineater said:

Why aren't they doing what we think they should to be building fortune and fame is what you're asking?  Fortune and fame is what we think they should be after?  That stuff that happen to them 30 some odd years ago when the band imploded and some of them barely made it out alive?  I guess they have their reasons.

I don't think they give a shit about fame, by doing the least amount of work -touring- they make shitloads of money, as long as they're famous enough to fill stadiums and keep the cash rolling in Axl is content. He is the laziest performer and relies on nostalgia to keep the brand alive. 

I honestly believe Axl alone is killing the b(r)and. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

I don't think they give a shit about fame, by doing the least amount of work -touring- they make shitloads of money, as long as they're famous enough to fill stadiums and keep the cash rolling in Axl is content. He is the laziest performer and relies on nostalgia to keep the brand alive. 

I don't know, have never done that myself.  Touring seems a god awful way to live if you ask me. 

Axl's a great performer in my opinion.  It's hard to watch other front men after him.  They just can't command the stage like he does.

I don't really have an opinion on what GNR should or shouldn't do.  The music industry doesn't even know what it's doing these days.  Ticket sales don't lie though, they're doing fine.  People would probably say they'd be foolish to change.  Up to them, up to us if we want to hang around.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

agreed i have a chance to see them there 3rd time around in the same city since NITL started in 2020 with no imminent release - if there is no new release its guns n farces, axl should delete all his old work or thoughts of CD2 and get angry, blank sheet it, give izzy a call - done deal, his dignity is back 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr