What's your unpopular GN'R opinion?

8 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I still think Axl is a a great frontman and of course while the Mickey moments from 2017/2018 were not quite up to par with the vocals he did in 2016 with GNR, I still think he sounds fairly good.

So my unpopular opinion is that modern day Axl's vocals are not totally terrible :lol:

My issue with Axl’s vocals is that he fucking killed it with AC/DC. I mean he was on fire so why didn’t he bring that to GnR shows?

I’m not saying he was awful with GnR but he was unbelievable with AC/DC. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

My issue with Axl’s vocals is that he fucking killed it with AC/DC. I mean he was on fire so why didn’t he bring that to GnR shows?

I’m not saying he was awful with GnR but he was unbelievable with AC/DC. 

That is fair I can agree with that as well, Axl/DC was prob the best Axl we have gotten since 2010

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I still think Axl is a a great frontman and of course while the Mickey moments from 2017/2018 were not quite up to par with the vocals he did in 2016 with GNR, I still think he sounds fairly good.

So my unpopular opinion is that modern day Axl's vocals are not totally terrible :lol:

I agree. Let me add to my opinion that MYGNRForum complains about everything.  I think  Axl did a good to great job with vocals. One of the few bad performances was Berlin. Other than that, I thought that people were making a mountain out of a mole hill. 

• Like 1

1) It's unreasonable to expect the band to bring Izzy and Steven, whom none of the band are in active contact or currently friends with, into the studio for the next album just to please a small subset of the fanbase that gives a shit about either of them.

2) A full AFD5 reunion will only happen (if it ever happens) in the form of a guest appearance during a show or a one-off special show. Izzy and Steven are way too unreliable for Axl, Slash, and Duff to ever consider bringing in full time.

3) Frank isn't even that bad a drummer. The issues with tempo during the earlier shows of the tour were primarily the result of the band (namely Slash) deciding to play songs at a faster tempo. 

4) Coma, whilst an awesome song and I'm grateful we got it during the NITL tour, should have been retired from the tour quite early on. It doesn't play well with Axl's current vocals at all.

5) I'm honestly hoping that Axl uses as little rasp as possible on any future Guns studio material and sings in a voice more like his 'Bad Obsession' voice. I'd prefer a more natural voice from Axl than him trying to force a raspy voice that's clearly getting away from him.

• Thanks 1

I prefer Fortus over Izzy.

Coma is my pissbreak song and I hope it will never be played live again.

Used to Love Her is my least favorite song, it fucking sucks.

Chinese Democracy is the second best album.

I really like their SFTD.

I think Axl aged really well...

...his voice not so much.

They should open with CD again.

I like Scraped.

Axl is the most important part in Guns N' Roses.

The track selection on UYI 2 is more like a leftover album.

Last but not least, I think Motley's "The Dirt" is a kickass song and GN'R should learn from that for the next album.

1 hour ago, TheGeneral said:

I prefer Fortus over Izzy.

Coma is my pissbreak song and I hope it will never be played live again.

Used to Love Her is my least favorite song, it fucking sucks.

Chinese Democracy is the second best album.

I really like their SFTD.

I think Axl aged really well...

...his voice not so much.

They should open with CD again.

I like Scraped.

Axl is the most important part in Guns N' Roses.

The track selection on UYI 2 is more like a leftover album.

Last but not least, I think Motley's "The Dirt" is a kickass song and GN'R should learn from that for the next album.

I laughed at axl ageing well. He hasnt.  He looks like a 60 year old transgender woman.

• Haha 2

I think most of the opinions so far are not really unpopular, at this forum at least. Some other opinions are less unpopular than I thought, though.

------

- Coma is not among my favourite GnR songs.

- The Spaghetti Incident was good for what it was, a covers album.

- GnR's version of Knockin' On Heaven's Door (especially UYI version) is worse as a cover than most of Spaghetti.

- My World is not bad. Not seriously good, but kind of a cool little "wtf" thing to end the album.

- There are many GnR shows that are better than the Ritz 88 (not that it isn't good). Axl's introduction to Out Ta Get Me at the Ritz was cool, but not anything special, just usual teenage angst.

- TB are not to be blamed for everything (not that I like them).

- I like Wichita Lineman.

- I can't find anything from SMKC that I like, including Anastasia.

Edited by Blackstar
added
  • GNFNR 1

Ok, here we go (a flying knee right in the chest):

- Axl did a really good job on fucking the three things we most love: his band, his voice and his look. These will NEVER be the same again, reunion, new album or whatever shit he'll do won't fix it;

- GNR songs after UYI sucks;

- I'm only a big fan of the band because I knew their music prior to Axl's asshole temper. Otherwise I woud say fuck off to them (as I did for Nirvana for some time). I believe most people on this forum can fit this shoes.

Edited by Ed Flowers
Spelling

I've said quite consistently that the post GnR lives of both Axl and Slash have been consumed with finding a new Slash and new Axl respectively.  Both had been unsuccessful, as evidenced by how many guitarists Axl has mowed through, and singers Slash has discarded.   Mostly to "fuck off" type replies.

I've also maintained that it is possible to love all band members and their work, and not be on "Team Axl" or "Team Slash" but the majority of people here seem to think that is impossible fiction, ans that either Axl or Slash is "right" and the other, clearly "wrong."

+1 Good thread idea, btw.

• Like 4

1. I don't acknowledge the earliest lineup as being anything significant to the band and feel the Appetite lineup was destined to happen.

2.  Paul Tobias was an integral part in Guns N' Roses. He features on and wrote some of the best songs released under the GNR name.

3. Chinese Democracy shows Axl Rose at his creative best - I also think as a vocalist, it showcases him at the very top of his game - as does the Live Era re-recordings.

4. I believe Axl has done himself a grave injustice by the lack of material released over a period of time which would normally be deemed as a creative peak for most other artists. There is still time to put this right. 

5. Robin Finck's renditions of the Patience solo were better than Slash's. Finck is also my favourite guitarist to ever be associated with the band.

6. Even though I loved the Chinese era and line-ups, I'm still beyond delighted that three fellas who struggled and grew together, through some of the hardest times they faced in their lives in their attempts to make a life out of the biz, were able to mend their differences and rejoin forces to give a boot to the ass of popular music and show to the world that they are still very much on the top of their game. The next few years will hopefully be some of the best ever that the band has experienced. Keep the faith. Rock the Rock

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2006/2010 era guns were a better live band than the current NITL band.

Melissa adds a lot to the backgrounds, and is more useful to the band than she's given credit for. Great stage presence too, she fits in with the modern GNR.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Frank is the second best fit for a drummer that GN'R has had.

Axl/DC was more exciting than NITL, and Axl's best vocals since 1993.

Think About You is a fucking great song (This one especially goes out to the rest of the Mod Squad, sorry guys and gals :awesomeface: )

• Like 2
  • Haha 1