Jump to content
Live Like a Suicide

What's your unpopular GN'R opinion?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Looking at some of the posts, I guess we should start a "What's your popular GN'R opinion?" thread.

Edited by jamillos
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 24/06/2020 at 8:28 AM, Axlr0s37 said:

One in a Million is an awesome song. I'm gutted they never remastered it. Even if they only released the track online for those who wanted it. 

I can understand its omission from the AFD/lies Remaster, doesn't mean I'm happy about it. 

Doesn't need to be remastered per say, as the original mastering was perfect.

But I was disappointed by its omission as well.

Edited by EvH
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll call this my unpopular Guns N' Roses opinion. 

I have never, ever, understood any love "One in a Million" gets. Outside of the infamous offensive lyrics (which sound like a teenager trying to be edgy), I would call it, at best, a "C-tier" Guns N' Roses song. Honestly, if not for the attention it got, I doubt any of us would be talking about it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, themadcaplaughs said:

We'll call this my unpopular Guns N' Roses opinion. 

I have never, ever, understood any love "One in a Million" gets. Outside of the infamous offensive lyrics (which sound like a teenager trying to be edgy), I would call it, at best, a "C-tier" Guns N' Roses song. Honestly, if not for the attention it got, I doubt any of us would be talking about it. 

I'm 30 years old. So I'm not old enough to remember the controversy and be influenced by it. I really like the song purely because its a quality song. The electric guitar and acoustic guitar working together creates an awesome sound. Awesome solo and some great singing. 

Its definitely not "c-tier". Its a great closing song to the acoustic half of Lies. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Gracii Guns said:

The Spaghetti Incident is a fine album. 

Not amazing, not progressive. Not what GN'R could have achieved at the time. But still a fun listen. 

Yeah it’s got this weird reputation, don’t you think?

The critical reception wasn’t even that poor, Rolling Stone liked it, ALLMUSIC gives it 2/5 and then the actual text of the review is basically all praise.... negativity was mostly around Look At Your Game Girl, SIDHY is kind of unconventional and the fact that it didn’t sell like gangbusters... but why would it have? It was kinda just more UYI, which by that point, pop culture wise, was pretty exhausted. 

I feel like people just kinda say it sucks because that’s what some people decided, haha. I had it in my head it wasn’t good but then you actually listen to it with no expectations... it *sounds* f’n awesome.... Black Leather, Attitude, Ain’t It Fun, Hair of the Dog... Human Being is really an Axl highlight.... and Down On the Farm is f’n fun.

In an alternate timeline these were going to be integral parts of UYI.

Edited by Ant
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2020 at 5:52 AM, Voodoochild said:

You're not alone. I love this solo, I love how it's simple and has a different chord progression behind it. 

Still think it's Robin Finck there. Same tone and style from other songs like TWAT's first solo (also simple and some long notes breathing with feedback).

I’m convinced it’s Finck as well. The fact that people confuse it for May’s work only speaks to how secretly skilled and talented Finck actually is, in my opinion.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

We'll call this my unpopular Guns N' Roses opinion. 

I have never, ever, understood any love "One in a Million" gets. Outside of the infamous offensive lyrics (which sound like a teenager trying to be edgy), I would call it, at best, a "C-tier" Guns N' Roses song. Honestly, if not for the attention it got, I doubt any of us would be talking about it. 

I loved the song before I was able to understand the English language and though I was dissapointed when I figured out what he was singing I couldn't stop love his voice, the interplay between Izzy and Slash, and Slash's beautiful solo. And that last verse is probably one of Axl's all time greatest moments on record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd wish they'd release a proper version of the fan made If The World/Slither mash-up. Even on a mashed-up low quality bastard of a song Axl and Slash share a untouchable chemistry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I’m convinced it’s Finck as well. The fact that people confuse it for May’s work only speaks to how secretly skilled and talented Finck actually is, in my opinion.

He should have stayed in Guns N' Roses, because he has no creative input in Nine Inch Nails. His fingerprints were all over the released/unreleased CD songs, while he was/is just a touring musician for NIN. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I’m convinced it’s Finck as well. The fact that people confuse it for May’s work only speaks to how secretly skilled and talented Finck actually is, in my opinion.

Indeed. Not the first time, though. When Better leaked for the first time, people assumed it was a Buckethead song. 

16 hours ago, Sosso said:

He should have stayed in Guns N' Roses, because he has no creative input in Nine Inch Nails. His fingerprints were all over the released/unreleased CD songs, while he was/is just a touring musician for NIN. 

I know right? It so weird, in NIN he's more relevant for the fanbase, for sure. But as a guitar player, there's just not that much to do there. It's intense for sure, but there's no way it's as expressive with almost no solos or real leads.

I don't know how many times I saw people suggesting Robin should have been the rhythm guitar only in GNR, ignoring his leads on the new songs were the most of the melodic solos (and stand-outs, IMO) on Chinese Democracy. I love what he did in the Village demos too, especially in Perhaps, D-Tune and even Quicksong. His solo in Hardschool is kinda like the IRS one, it's cool, but it doesn't sound like how the main solo should be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/06/2020 at 1:52 PM, Voodoochild said:

You're not alone. I love this solo, I love how it's simple and has a different chord progression behind it. 

Still think it's Robin Finck there. Same tone and style from other songs like TWAT's first solo (also simple and some long notes breathing with feedback).

 

18 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I’m convinced it’s Finck as well. The fact that people confuse it for May’s work only speaks to how secretly skilled and talented Finck actually is, in my opinion.

Oh wow fair play. 

I think it’s May for 2 reasons:

- Sonically I think it sounds like him.

- May said that he was invited to the sessions because Robin had left and Axl had wanted his parts erased.

 

Would love to hear the truth! Wonder if anyone will email Brian May in the same way in 2006 when he confirmed his work on CITR.:ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

 

Oh wow fair play. 

I think it’s May for 2 reasons:

- Sonically I think it sounds like him.

- May said that he was invited to the sessions because Robin had left and Axl had wanted his parts erased.

 

Would love to hear the truth! Wonder if anyone will email Brian May in the same way in 2006 when he confirmed his work on CITR.:ph34r:

May was invited and recorded Catcher and Atlas. I understand you think it sounds like him in Perhaps, but I think most people just assumed it was him because it was a ballad/piano track like the other two. 

I don't think it sounds like Brian May in tone and/or playing. On the other hand, it has some of the Robin's stuff: starts with a huge bend, it has a weird timing for hitting the notes, then it goes straight to the highest note. Soon after, it takes a really long note with feedback and some two notes slides like he does in This I Love and Hardschool. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

May was invited and recorded Catcher and Atlas. I understand you think it sounds like him in Perhaps, but I think most people just assumed it was him because it was a ballad/piano track like the other two. 

I don't think it sounds like Brian May in tone and/or playing. On the other hand, it has some of the Robin's stuff: starts with a huge bend, it has a weird timing for hitting the notes, then it goes straight to the highest note. Soon after, it takes a really long note with feedback and some two notes slides like he does in This I Love and Hardschool. 

I believe Brian has copies of mixes of what he played on.

Would be interesting if someone sent him Perhaps, the handful of Atlas versions and even the new, quality Catcher for him to listen to. In the case of Perhaps, to ask him if he's on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I believe Brian has copies of mixes of what he played on.

Which should be from 1999, like the first CITR leak. The Village demos are from a different period, and maybe Axl already discarded one of the three songs with May because either Robin came back or because Bucket came in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Which should be from 1999, like the first CITR leak. The Village demos are from a different period, and maybe Axl already discarded one of the three songs with May because either Robin came back or because Bucket came in.

I'm going to try emailing him.

Has anyone confirmed if his playing on Atlas is actually him? Obviously we know Catcher is since he confirmed it.

Aside from Perhaps, I'm not sure what else (if anything) he played on that has leaked. Some speculated Quick Song, but we now know it was Robin's solo since it mentions that on the CD full of Bucket takes on the second solo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

I'm going to try emailing him.

Has anyone confirmed if his playing on Atlas is actually him? Obviously we know Catcher is since he confirmed it.

Aside from Perhaps, I'm not sure what else (if anything) he played on that has leaked. Some speculated Quick Song, but we now know it was Robin's solo since it mentions that on the CD full of Bucket takes on the second solo.

I think Atlas is pretty obvious by the playing style, tone and the use of his octave pedal. 

I was the one who said Quick Song. It did sound more like Brian to me, but I know that was a mistake

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

DJ was actually good for the band.  Brought some much-needed charisma.  Besides Axl, the pre-dj band was a bunch of stiffs on stage.  He also brought back the era of playing the solos they way they were recorded on the record - no more of the improvised "play it how you want" crap that plagued the 01-06 era.  Also, of all the 01-14 guitarists, he's probably the closest in style and tone to Slash.  Oh and last thing, Axl's chemistry with DJ was BY FAR the best out of all the band members from 01-14.  I feel like Axl considered DJ an actual friend/band member as opposed to a hired-hand like the rest of them.

 

Was he corny and a bit of a poser? Yes.  But I think the points I mentioned above out weight the cheese.

Edited by dogman
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

May was invited and recorded Catcher and Atlas. I understand you think it sounds like him in Perhaps, but I think most people just assumed it was him because it was a ballad/piano track like the other two. 

I don't think it sounds like Brian May in tone and/or playing. On the other hand, it has some of the Robin's stuff: starts with a huge bend, it has a weird timing for hitting the notes, then it goes straight to the highest note. Soon after, it takes a really long note with feedback and some two notes slides like he does in This I Love and Hardschool. 

Yeah fair play! Never really thought about it and this is the beauty of the forums! Now you’ve said it, I hear it more. Will take a few more listens to convince but think you could be right!

  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like at this point it has been so long that not even May would be able to tell you if he played on this song or not lol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/06/2020 at 12:50 PM, Gracii Guns said:

The Spaghetti Incident is a fine album. 

Not amazing, not progressive. Not what GN'R could have achieved at the time. But still a fun listen. 

The production of TSI was impeccable!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

The production of TSI was impeccable!

It was. Matt sounds perfect, the guitars are crunchy as hell and Axl kills it. Too bad about the compressed mastering. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, EvH said:

It was. Matt sounds perfect, the guitars are crunchy as hell and Axl kills it. Too bad about the compressed mastering. 

I have no idea about mastering. TSI just sounds great to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×