What's your unpopular GN'R opinion?

13 minutes ago, EricA said:

a sincerely "thank you" to the OP for making this thread, it makes me laugh so hard everyday.

Same.  I keep trying to figure out which are real and which are parody.  Mine are 100% legit.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've cried my eyes out with 1)Don't cry 2

2)Madagascar

3)There was a time

4)Prostitute

5)Street of dreams

6) Catcher in the Rye

7)irs

Coma saved me from suicidal thoughts, Axl among with Johnny Depp and Marilyn Manson and Bruce Dickinson are really important instigators for me, but i strongly believe that Axl had faced serious self esteem issues, and that was his personal disaster above anything else external... But he's such a badass mf that have awed me many times, like with ACDC,when i thought that he'd have f** it, but respect to the man!:headbang:rock3

1 hour ago, lame ass security said:

Jim Morrison comes to mind.  Oh, and GG Allin😄

Jimbos notes on cinema are insightful.  As for GG, anyone with lyrics like ‘THE F@GGOTS GETTIN AIDS ARE ALL GONNA FRY’ is clearly a poet laureate of the highest order :lol:  How about Expose Yourself to Kids, that ones just crying out to be subject of a Masters thesis :lol:

21 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Sappy wouldn't be the first word I'd recall when describing Stradlin's lyrics, many of which are rootsy Americana ''Highway 61'' type stuff à la Chuck/Stones.

These arch rhythm players like Richards all have something in common, they all love reggae, there’s a message in that.  Izzy is of that ilk.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I like some - or many - of Izzy's lyrics, Mr. Brownstone is really good, but Think About You is bad whatever way one looks at it.

That's what I think. I realize it's hard to write a love song and not make it sappy, but some people can do it. But he's not always sappy, sometimes he's informative, like giving us weather reports:

I've been thinkin' bout the weather, It's been pretty good this trip

Outran a thunderstorm 2 days ago, I did not expect this...  

117 degrees, 117

117 or so I'm told, I don't know

25 minutes ago, EvanG said:

That's what I think. I realize it's hard to write a love song and not make it sappy, but some people can do it. But he's not always sappy, sometimes he's informative, like giving us weather reports:

117 degrees, 117

Think About You was probably about drugs, not a real love song, but there are many better songs in that vain (heroin as a woman etc)

5 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Um, have you read some of the language on this forum?😄  Ass is a soft lob around here.  Besides, they would've banned my username if it wasnt.

lol!  I know. I have used many of the common swear words on here like ass and fuckhole.  just in a polite mood today.

btw- your user name is seriously one of the best on here!

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, EvanG said:

117 degrees, 117

hahaha.  he just needed to give an update on the barometer and we would be all set for the day. 

the follow up to 117 degrees should be called "swamp ass"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chester 524 said:

lol!  I know. I have used many of the common swear words on here like ass and fuckhole.  just in a polite mood today.

btw- your user name is seriously one of the best on here!

Thanks man.  Btw, I think it's great that they don't censor language on here.  I assume that some forums do censor, not sure though. 

32 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Think About You was probably about drugs, not a real love song, but there are many better songs in that vain (heroin as a woman etc)

If it's about drugs I would like them more, because that's kinda... disturbing. But it would also be atypical because he's always so straight forward in his lyrics, but you could be right.

I guess I don't like lyrics that are straight forward, especially in love songs... ''shed a tear cause I'm missing you'', ''I love you so much'' etc. When Cobain attempted to write a love song he wrote about meat-eating orchids and being locked inside a heart shaped box for weeks. Lyrics like that leave a lot more to the imagination and I like the surrealism, that way you don't get those sappy or cheesy lines, or however you want to call it.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Thanks man.  Btw, I think it's great that they don't censor language on here.  I assume that some forums do censor, not sure though. 

I wouldn’t bother posting here if I could speak freely, who wants to be dictated to in their leisure time?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Name a GN'R song written by Izzy that is better than Locomotive, Estranged, or Don't Damn Me. I am genuinely curious.

''Patience'', ''14 Years'', ''Dust N' Bones'' and ''Double Talkin' Jive'' (which is actually my favourite song on the entire Illusions set).

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, EvanG said:

If it's about drugs I would like them more, because that's kinda... disturbing. But it would also be atypical because he's always so straight forward in his lyrics, but you could be right.

I guess I don't like lyrics that are straight forward, especially in love songs... ''shed a tear cause I'm missing you'', ''I love you so much'' etc. When Cobain attempted to write a love song he wrote about meat-eating orchids and being locked inside a heart shaped box for weeks. Lyrics like that leave a lot more to the imagination and I like the surrealism, that way you don't get those sappy or cheesy lines, or however you want to call it.

I understand what you're saying and agree for the most part.  But I also think that the sappy stuff has its place also.  It was like Paul McCartney responding to John Lennon with Silly Love Songs.  And what's wrong with that?😊

10 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

I understand what you're saying and agree for the most part.  But I also think that the sappy stuff has its place also.  It was like Paul McCartney responding to John Lennon with Silly Love Songs.  And what's wrong with that?😊

I don't mind love songs. Some of the lines in Think About You and Patience are incredibly sappy, you can't deny that. But that's okay, some people might like ''sappy'' lyrics, I personally don't. Love songs can also be written in a more surreal way where you don't have to be so straight forward in saying how much you miss or love someone, and that's what I prefer. That's why I made the Nirvana - Heart Shaped Box example. That's a love song too, but there's no ''I love/miss you, you're the best, you're in my heart, sugar, honey you're the time my heart says yes'' etc.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

What like better than Apetite and Lies era? 

For me, yeah. I'm not attempting to conduct an objective analysis of the relative merits of the various versions of this band that have existed over the years for the biggest number of people. I'm expressing a personal preference.

That was the band that existed when I got into Guns N' Roses, I was 15-16 years old then. Music is still really important to me, but it seemed to matter in a different way back at that age - when you're a teenager I think you latch on much more to the music you listen to and the people who make it.

So, I got into Guns (through the earlier line-ups' records), I started posting on this forum, I got really invested in the CD saga, all the news and intrigue...Most importantly, I went to what were (and probably still are) the best live shows I've ever seen.

I was blown away by that big beast of a band with three guitars, two keyboards, technical wizards on their instruments showing their stuff, trying to re-imagine something that had been so big (in another form) a decade earlier. I developed a lot of affection for the guys who'd stepped up to play those shows and deliver those performances against a wider world of critics that considered them illegitimate. It seemed really rock n' roll to me to say "fuck you" and do it anyway.

I had so much fun as a fan in those days, there were high-quality live shows, a sense of hype and anticipation around the (supposedly) forthcoming album, the leaks, the tour, the camaraderie, the inevitable dysfunction and drama, and the sense that the band had the chops and the willpower was there to make this something great and lasting (before laziness, neglect and more inexplicable forms of dysfunction set in and wasted all that potential). 

So, for me personally, aye it was the best and anyone who wants to try and belittle that (despite me not passing judgement over what anyone else likes most from the band) can fuck off :lol: .

• GNFNR 2

12 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Does 'Beautiful' by Christina Aguilera count as a proper cover? Probably not I suppose, but if so, that's got my vote. I remember being stood in an Arena thinking "what the fuck am I watching?" when that happened. 

I fucking loved that, even better with how randomly out of the blue it was too. Showcased the talents of Finck and 4tus perfectly. Give me that over Wish You Were Here any day of the week! (as a guitar jam, I'm very much aware that Pink Floyd are vastly superior to Aguilera :lol:)

10 minutes ago, Dean said:

I fucking loved that, even better with how randomly out of the blue it was too. Showcased the talents of Finck and 4tus perfectly. Give me that over Wish You Were Here any day of the week! (as a guitar jam, I'm very much aware that Pink Floyd are vastly superior to Aguilera :lol:)

It wasn't even intended as an Aguilera cover. It was written by Linda Perry, who's friends with Fortus, and he played it as her song without even knowing that Christina Aguilera had recorded it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Graeme said:

For me, yeah. I'm not attempting to conduct an objective analysis of the relative merits of the various versions of this band that have existed over the years for the biggest number of people. I'm expressing a personal preference.

That was the band that existed when I got into Guns N' Roses, I was 15-16 years old then. Music is still really important to me, but it seemed to matter in a different way back at that age - when you're a teenager I think you latch on much more to the music you listen to and the people who make it.

So, I got into Guns (through the earlier line-ups' records), I started posting on this forum, I got really invested in the CD saga, all the news and intrigue...Most importantly, I went to what were (and probably still are) the best live shows I've ever seen.

I was blown away by that big beast of a band with three guitars, two keyboards, technical wizards on their instruments showing their stuff, trying to re-imagine something that had been so big (in another form) a decade earlier. I developed a lot of affection for the guys who'd stepped up to play those shows and deliver those performances against a wider world of critics that considered them illegitimate. It seemed really rock n' roll to me to say "fuck you" and do it anyway.

I had so much fun as a fan in those days, there were high-quality live shows, a sense of hype and anticipation around the (supposedly) forthcoming album, the leaks, the tour, the camaraderie, the inevitable dysfunction and drama, and the sense that the band had the chops and the willpower was there to make this something great and lasting (before laziness, neglect and more inexplicable forms of dysfunction set in and wasted all that potential). 

So, for me personally, aye it was the best and anyone who wants to try and belittle that (despite me not passing judgement over what anyone else likes most from the band) can fuck off :lol: .

I hope your team gets put in their place this Sunday, but this beautifully describes my thoughts and experiences throughout the Chinese era. There was so much mystique surrounding everything, the cancelled 2002 tour and hiatus that followed, the uncertainty of whether or not the band had returned to the studio and if the album would ever see the light of day to then fast forwarding to 2006, Axl and the band firing on all cylinders and arguably sounding better than ever, especially Axl, consistent night after night. There was a lot of optimism throughout the community that 2006 could be the year. What a glorious time, even though we had to wait another two years for the record.