09/28/19 - Louisville KY - Louder Than Life Festival

Mega_Music

48 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

What are you guys talking about? These 85-86 Axl vocals were great and in no way comparable with those strange sounding vocals from 2001. 

Here's an example of what I'm talking about, I think these are somewhat comparable vocally:

Obviously he sounds older in the 2002 clip but it's not like his 2002 voice was completely alien. When he went full-mickey it was awful, but he sounded pretty good at times too. WTTJ from the Vegas 2001 show sounds like an older version of 'classic Axl', if you get what I mean. He could still sing with a sharp, powerful high voice that wasn't too raspy or too clean, like in that '86 video. It's unfortunate that he used the mickey voice so often, but he proved he could still pull off the classic voice when he went for it.

edit: this is my last post about his voice in this thread, I swear. At least until the show actually happens :lol:

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

What are you guys talking about? These 85-86 Axl vocals were great and in no way comparable with those strange sounding vocals from 2001. 

The point is that before his trademark rasp, Axl's vocals were relatively clean (and powerful). When most people think of Axl's vocals today, they compare him to the '90's and comment about how strange it is to hear him with clean vocals. In reality, his early vocals were similar, but far more powerful.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, triad said:

Where's that "Axl's Voice" thread when we need it?  :P  You guys are killin' me.  

This.  Come on, guys.  A whole page of " Axl 86 and Axl 02 are the same,mmkay?". Let's talk about the show and keep the Axl's voice stuff in the Axl's voice thread, mmkay?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Here's an example of what I'm talking about, I think these are somewhat comparable vocally:

Obviously he sounds older in the 2002 clip but it's not like his 2002 voice was completely alien. When he went full-mickey it was awful, but he sounded pretty good at times too. WTTJ from the Vegas 2001 show sounds like an older version of 'classic Axl', if you get what I mean. He could still sing with a sharp, powerful high voice that wasn't too raspy or too clean, like in that '86 video. It's unfortunate that he used the mickey voice so often, but he proved he could still pull off the classic voice when he went for it.

edit: this is my last post about his voice in this thread, I swear. At least until the show actually happens :lol:

Agree to disagree on this one. I'm sorry but those 86 vocals while maybe not his raspiest ever,  still have rasp and sound like classic Axl.  I wouldn't call those his clean vocals at all.  He sounds good in that video.. His clean voice sounds like shit.  You can start to hear his clean voice in the Columbus video but it isn't as bad as what it has become and he still sounded pretty good. Especially compared to what it morphed into over the years. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TheSlashrose said:

Izzy is back? 

If he is, I hope they let us know ahead of time and I would buy a ticket to the festival ASAP.  If I could go back in time, I wouldn't have bought a ticket for the first Vegas show if I knew what the lineup was. I was really hoping for a bit more than just Axl, Slash and Duff... Even just having Matt or Gilby would have made it feel more legit.. Izzy or Steven would have been incredible... Omitting the role of Pittman/Blue Hair would have made it feel more like Gn'R as well. To me anyway....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Agree to disagree on this one. I'm sorry but those 86 vocals while maybe not his raspiest ever,  still have rasp and sound like classic Axl.  I wouldn't call those his clean vocals at all.  He sounds good in that video.. His clean voice sounds like shit.  You can start to hear his clean voice in the Columbus video but it isn't as bad as what it has become and he still sounded pretty good. Especially compared to what it morphed into over the years. 

I wanted to post WTTJ from the Vegas 2001 show but, surprisingly, it can't be found on youtube... <_<

I'm not trying to say he sounds identical, but that his vocal style wasn't necessarily as different as some people claim. It was different, but not drastically different, at least for some shows. Plenty of shows from that era do sound pretty bad vocally, but on a good night, he could channel the 'classic voice' fairly well. I still think Columbus 2002 is the best show from that era vocally, I mean people on this board would be ecstatic if he sang November Rain or LALD as well as he did at that show nowadays, for example. But I can see why people would disagree. His 'Hollywood Rose - Live Like A Suicide' voice is what's most comparable to the '01-02 voice IMO, it was a relatively clean but powerful high voice, with grit when necessary. The key word there being 'relatively'. His voice was cleaner in the 2000's but the approach/style was similar. His voice nowadays is just shot, unless he's screaming or singing in his natural range (Patience, Wichita Lineman, Double Talkin' Jive, etc).

ok I'm done with the voice bullshit in this thread now, for real this time. :lol:

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Or, maybe Slash and Duff could join Matt in his band for a VR song or something.

Either would be cool.. Or both!  Seeing Matt do a couple songs with Guns would be pretty sick though.. Not Popcorn sick but still sick ;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Either would be cool.. Or both!  Seeing Matt do a couple songs with Guns would be pretty sick though.. Not Popcorn sick but still sick ;)

Since I got to see one of the 2016 shows with Steven, now I want to see Matt do a few songs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tourettes2400 said:

Since I got to see one of the 2016 shows with Steven, now I want to see Matt do a few songs.

Still kicking myself.. My Uncle had a ticket to the Cinci show for me.. I was pretty underwhelmed by the pre stadium April show performances and lineup so I told him he could bring his step son instead of me making another trip to see them.  Screwed myself out of seeing Steven with the band.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Still kicking myself.. My Uncle had a ticket to the Cinci show for me.. I was pretty underwhelmed by the pre stadium April show performances and lineup so I told him he could bring his step son instead of me making another trip to see them.  Screwed myself out of seeing Steven with the band.  

I got to see him at the next show, which was in Nashville. It was a great show! I remember thinking that he was going to be playing at all the shows, but I still thought it was cool. Then as the tour went on, I realized I got to see a special show.

So, I would like to see Matt join them, but I'm not holding my breath. Although, I never thought I would see Slash and Axl on a stage again, so anything is possible.

Edited by Tourettes2400
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Even one or two songs without frank would be a huge upgrade to the shows 

I was talking to friend\musician at work who is a Guns fan but skipped the shows. He said he would have went if Izzy was there. I was telling him about the rumors about Izzy this time around and he was excited and said he would love to see the whole lineup. Then he asked me if we could pick one Adler or Izzy who would it be.  His answer was that even though he is a bigger fan of Izzy overall that he would probably pick Adler because he felt his drumming and swing are huge.. He is a huge Slash fan too and always praises Fitz..

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I was talking to friend\musician at work who is a Guns fan but skipped the shows. He said he would have went if Izzy was there. I was telling him about the rumors about Izzy this time around and he was excited and said he would love to see the whole lineup. Then he asked me if we could pick one Adler or Izzy who would it be.  His answer was that even though he is a bigger fan of Izzy overall that he would probably pick Adler because he felt his drumming and swing are huge.. He is a huge Slash fan too and always praises Fitz..

Fortus doesn’t bother me too much, but the drums are ear grating. They’re so tinny and ruin a lot of the songs for me. I would pick Adler over Izzy in a heart beat right now only because I think it’s the bands biggest issue (or one of many at least). Fitz is a fantastic drummer. He should teach Frank a few things or better yet just outright replace him if Adler/Sorum/Brain are out of the question.

Edited by AxlRoseCDII
  • Like 1

In 2003, Izzy returned to play with Duff, Slash and Matt Sorum during the formation process of the band Velvet Revolver. The four musicians recorded about 15 songs that were described by Slash as "Guns N 'Roses' best instrumental album, but never released. Some Guns N 'Roses fans would be able to do crazy things to get these recordings. 

Slash's bio talk about that 

• Like 2

Why can't all three original members reach out to Izzy beggers balls in hands and say what's it gonna take for Izzy to join back up, get all of current Guns to write songs together & bit of recording and see what they can produce even if its only like half an album of say 12-14 songs. 

• Like 2

And you people believe the only person that has mentioned Izzy returning. A guy who pulls things out of thin air, given he has had no official role with the band for decades. 

And its the same people believing this person, living on hope and not in reality. 

That person and Mitch Lafon, its always i heard from a guy, who heard it from a guy, who heard it from a guy, who heard it from this guy. 

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Like 2

On 4/13/2019 at 4:10 PM, kiwiguns said:

And you people believe the only person that has mentioned Izzy returning. A guy who pulls things out of thin air, given he has had no official role with the band for decades. 

And its the same people believing this person, living on hope and not in reality. 

That person and Mitch Lafon, its always i heard from a guy, who heard it from a guy, who heard it from a guy, who heard it from this guy. 

Exactly.

• Like 1