Films that were completely trashed by critics, but you love

Don't mention the obvious ones or ones that people have a cheesy love for like oh let's say Bloodsport.

For me, the one I have in mind is The Beach.

Yeah, the trailer's bad, the actual film starts of like a bad indie, the story has more than a few holes and the protagonist you are supposed to cheer for is really a sociopath. However, there's really just something about this film for me.

Also I really like that soundtrack for some reason, even though it's not normally my kind of thing. It makes me feel like a kid again.

When you consider the cast and that it's a Danny Boyle film, in theory you think this was a pretty big film at the time. However, it was actually rubbished by critics and you never here about it on best of lists.

I really want to be on that island, not having a care for the world and I want to be living Leonardo Dicaprio's life.

Edited by AtariLegend

A.I.

Barry Lyndon (on its release it wasn't well-received by US critics at least)

Speed Racer

Zoolander 2 (wouldn't say I *love* it, but I had a good time watching it on a flight)

Club Dread

Beerfest (I agree with the critics when it comes to Super Troopers 2, though, regret spending $10 to see that in the cinema)

10 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

This may be the most unintentionally funny movie ever created.

Good double feature with Pain & Gain - these 2 films capture Florida so well.

What's really interesting is that 99% of the dialogue, down to almost the last word spoken, comes from the true-crime novel which the film is based on. It's mostly just plain old text when you read it in a book, but in the hands of those kid actors, it's pure comedy.

Good question. Not including shlocky exploitation stuff, 

- Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut (1999). Lambasted on release, critics labeling it a ''bonkathon'' and missing the irony and humour. It is a near-masterpiece. 

- Kundun (1997). Whilst no masterpiece it is a superior film than its critique portrays. Scorsese actually has a few films like this, King of Comedy for instance, but Kundun is the best example.

- Mallrats (1995)Got compared unfavorably with Clerks and consequentially roasted alive by the critics. 

- The Protector (1985). Jackie Chan's first major attempt at an American film. Admittedly got buggered in the editorial suit but I still think it is a decent enough cop thriller. 

I have a little soft spot for the Star Wars prequels, and a significantly bigger soft spot for the Han Solo spin-off.

i also enjoy cheesy superhero movies along the lines of Justice League and Venom.

oh, and I’m one of those people that thinks The Room is a genuinely good movie and that Tommy Wiseau is a secret genius! :D

I also really like cheap Nickelodeon movies from the late 90s and early 2000s like Bubble Boy, Clockstoppers, Snow Day, etc. though admittedly I probably just have nostalgia bias for those.

Those direct-to-video scooby doo movies from the late 90s are great imo!

Some really old and somewhat long-forgotten films like Gnome Mobile and all the Herbie movies are cool too.

jeez, I guess I like shit movies! XD

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Does The Last Jedi count?

It was critically acclaimed. It's actually the opposite.

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Rehabilitated though 10 years later when the director's cut came out, and now regarded as a masterpiece. 

The sequel was strong too. Liked by critics, but ignored that year in the end year lists.

As for alternative cuts. Once Upon A Time In America. Apparently the version the Yankees got was almost 100 minutes shorter than our version. 

Edited by AtariLegend
Bad typing on phone

6 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

It was critically acclaimed. It's actually the opposite.

The sequel was strong too. Liked by critics, but ignored that year in the end year lists.

As for alternative cuts. Once Upon A Time In America. Apparently the version the Yankees got was almost 100 minutes longer than our version. 

It is the reverse,

229 minutes (European release) 139 minutes (US release)

Idle Hands (1999) - It came out a week after Columbine, so bad timing for a dark comedy about a dope smoking high school kid who goes around killing people because his hand is possessed. It got panned by critics and flopped in the box office. Its somewhat of a cult classic now. One of the last movies that was '90s' and has a 18 year old Jessica Alba in it.

• Like 1

I think it's easy to reference movies like The Shining, The Thing, Scarface, etc, when talking about movies that were dismissed upon release. 

The problem is, most people either weren't alive when those films were released or society has collectively and completely forgotten that they were labeled "dogs." Those films are classics now, so, it's silly to me that people would reference them.

I kind of consider this thread pertinent to movies that maybe you or I have never seen, because that initial label stuck and their fate as "dogs" never saw a retrial.

• Like 2

Freddy Got Fingered (2001)

It's the only movie that was written and directed by Tom Green. It was absolutely destroyed by critics and also by viewers. It won The Golden Raspberry Awards and was considered one of the worst movies ever made. Is it a stupid movie? Yes. Is there some technical issues to it? Yes. Is there random and out of context scenes? Oh hell yes.

After almost 20 years later it has gained a cult following and a reappraisal (don't know if by critics ) by audiences as this surrealistic masterpiece. The movie has so many meta moments and is like a satire of late 90's "gross out" films. The movie also has this sort of "shit posting" feel to it.

I'm a HUGE fan of this movie. It "knows" it's a dumb movie but it was made dumb on purpose. It was way ahead of it's time. I howl with laughter every time I watch it.

Edited by Jabberwocky
  • Like 2