FREEWAY!!! ❤️❤️❤️

Night of the Hunter

Scrooged

Alien 3

Drop Dead Gorgeous

Freddy Got Fingered 

On 4/2/2019 at 5:29 PM, Jabberwocky said:

Freddy Got Fingered (2001)

It's the only movie that was written and directed by Tom Green. It was absolutely destroyed by critics and also by viewers. It won The Golden Raspberry Awards and was considered one of the worst movies ever made. Is it a stupid movie? Yes. Is there some technical issues to it? Yes. Is there random and out of context scenes? Oh hell yes.

After almost 20 years later it has gained a cult following and a reappraisal (don't know if by critics ) by audiences as this surrealistic masterpiece. The movie has so many meta moments and is like a satire of late 90's "gross out" films. The movie also has this sort of "shit posting" feel to it.

I'm a HUGE fan of this movie. It "knows" it's a dumb movie but it was made dumb on purpose. It was way ahead of it's time. I howl with laughter every time I watch it.

The Pakistan scene is hilarious.

Dante's Peak. It went head-to-head with Volcano with Tommy Lee Jones and critics for some bizarre reason preferred the latter. I, like most volcanologists prefer Dante's Peak because it's about 85% accurate in depicting a volcanic disaster that could actually happen, with characters who are actually based on real volcanologists, whereas Volcano is a load of cartoonish nonsense taking place in a setting where volcanic eruptions are more-or-less completely impossible in the current geological epoch. Critics seemed to think that Volcano was more entertaining though...

Shakespeare In Love, Annie Hall, American Beauty and Far From Heaven are four craptacular movies that come immediately to mind.

A lot of the Little Lord Fauntleroys live and work in major cities and disdain anything traditional, suburban or rural unless those things are portrayed negatively in the movie. Then they love it. It thrills me to no end to see something they've panned do really well at the box office.

Lucky Patcher 9Apps VidMate

Edited by natelivliv

On 4/4/2019 at 5:03 AM, Graeme said:

Dante's Peak. It went head-to-head with Volcano with Tommy Lee Jones and critics for some bizarre reason preferred the latter. I, like most volcanologists prefer Dante's Peak because it's about 85% accurate in depicting a volcanic disaster that could actually happen, with characters who are actually based on real volcanologists, whereas Volcano is a load of cartoonish nonsense taking place in a setting where volcanic eruptions are more-or-less completely impossible in the current geological epoch. Critics seemed to think that Volcano was more entertaining though...

I watched that last night as I was bored. The acting is wooden and the cgi a bit iffy but it was mildly enjoyable. I cannot speak for the volcanolgy but I'll take your word for it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I watched that last night as I was bored. The acting is wooden and the cgi a bit iffy but it was mildly enjoyable. I cannot speak for the volcanolgy but I'll take your word for it. 

Now you have to watch Volcano and tell me if, with no knowledge of volcanology to bias you, you find it more enjoyable :lol: . 

2 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Now you have to watch Volcano and tell me if, with no knowledge of volcanology to bias you, you find it more enjoyable :lol: . 

I might actually as I am laid up in bed with the flu so have free time.  

Dante's Peak is basically Bond and a volcano. You took up volcanology so you could be Pierce didn't you? 

18 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I might actually as I am laid up in bed with the flu so have free time.  

Dante's Peak is basically Bond and a volcano. You took up volcanology so you could be Pierce didn't you? 

It was actually this scene from Fantasia that did it when I was two or three years old... I'd wanted to be a volcanologist for about four years by the time Dante's Peak came out (it definitely didn't put me off though).

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/04/2019 at 3:42 AM, Black Sabbath said:

Jurassic Park III

It's like the Anti Alien 3.

Brings nothing new to story and the protagonists are all extremely annoying. I remember hoping that the dinosaurs would gobble up the whole family. It's also a much smaller film.

It feels like one of those films they commissioned before they wrote a script.

On 01/04/2019 at 9:32 AM, Len Cnut said:

Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More and The Good the Bad and the Ugly were slaughtered upon release.

I was surprised to read recently that The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is for alot of people a prequel and Van Cleef is playing a different character from a Few Dollars More.

2 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

I was surprised to read recently that The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is for alot of people a prequel and Van Cleef is playing a different character from a Few Dollars More.

It is a prequel as the Man With No Name acquires all of his accouterments, the hat and poncho, etc., throughout the film. 

19 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is a prequel as the Man With No Name acquires all of his accouterments, the hat and poncho, etc., throughout the film. 

He has a name in each film (though he is known culturally as The Man With No Name), Joe, Manco and Blondie (though the latter is a nickname).   Whether they are the same character or not is arguable.

23 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Colonel Mortimer and Angel Eyes have nothing to do with each other, Colonel Mortimer is an old army Colnel who turns to bounty hunting as a means to tracking down Indio who raped and killed his sister, Angel Eyes is just an evil oppertunistic bastard. 

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

The Way of the Gun

One of the smartest and sharpest crime dramas of the turn of the century. It was the directing debut of Christopher McQuarrie, who has gone on to be Tom Cruise’s most trusted collaborator and the guy who directs every Mission impossible movie to great acclaim.

It’s intelligent, pulpy, noir-ish and follows in the footsteps of the great directors of the seventies; Peckinpah and Don Siegel come to mind.

Its a shame it was reviewed so poorly. It pretty much ended McQuarrie’s career as a director until Cruise hooked up with him and became his benefactor.

I would love to see another original film by this guy. I just don’t want him to keep making movies that begin with “Mission”...

On 4/9/2019 at 4:39 AM, Graeme said:

It was actually this scene from Fantasia that did it when I was two or three years old... I'd wanted to be a volcanologist for about four years by the time Dante's Peak came out (it definitely didn't put me off though).

Oh I did watch Volcano by the way. It is awful Hollywood cheese. I never knew you could stop molten lava with a barricade, even going so far as to divert it?

Dante's Peak is more tv-movie but has the edge.

• 3 weeks later...

Shakes The Clown (1991)

American black comedy film directed and written by Bobcat Goldthwait, who performs the title role. It also features Julie Brown, Blake Clark, Paul Dooley, Kathy Griffin, Florence Henderson, Tom Kenny, Adam Sandler, Scott Herriott, LaWanda Page, Jack Gallagher, and a cameo by Robin Williams.

The film is a about a birthday-party clown (Goldthwait) in the grip of depression and alcoholism, who is framed for murder. Different communities of clowns, mimes and other performers are depicted as clannish, rivalrous subcultures obsessed with precedence and status. This was Goldthwait's bitter satire of the dysfunctional standup comedy circuit he knew as a performer.

This one kinda teeters between pure comedy and drama. The humor is so fucking funny and low brow but knows when it dial it down when it gets in it's serious zone. To me it's like a precursor to Bad Santa.