What's the best opener GN'R has ever used?

What's been the best opener?  

167 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think one of the more interesting things about GN'R has been the openers they've used. I feel like their main asset as a band has been the energy they've produced live, and the opening number is a big part of that, especially on the UYI tour early on-where the sets varied wildly. What's been your favorite opener? I think mine has to be Perfect Crime, the opening to the Philly '91 show, where they perform Jungle twice because of a fight, shows the explosive performances they could give. Curious what you guys like

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Hard to pick... in the AFD days and club/theatre shows of the NuGNR years, You're Crazy was a good one. In an arena/stadium setting I'd say Nightrain... but Welcome To The Jungle is objectively their best opener in any context.

I think the issue for me with Jungle being the opener is the fact that you don't Slash teasing it, and at a show, knowing that Jungle could be anywhere in the setlist (or any major song from an artist) keeps the anticipation up. Then when you hear those reverberating notes, you know exactly what's up next. It works as an opener, see the Hartford '93 or '06 Rock Am Ring show, but for me, I'd rather be on my toes waiting though the show, getting excited for it, listening to their other songs. If I were only slightly familiar with a band, and they opened with THE BEST, then the rest of the show could have uneven energy or excitement, granted most people shouldn't go to concerts for a single or couple of songs 😂

• Like 4

1 hour ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

I think the issue for me with Jungle being the opener is the fact that you don't Slash teasing it, and at a show, knowing that Jungle could be anywhere in the setlist (or any major song from an artist) keeps the anticipation up. Then when you hear those reverberating notes, you know exactly what's up next. It works as an opener, see the Hartford '93 or '06 Rock Am Ring show, but for me, I'd rather be on my toes waiting though the show, getting excited for it, listening to their other songs. If I were only slightly familiar with a band, and they opened with THE BEST, then the rest of the show could have uneven energy or excitement, granted most people shouldn't go to concerts for a single or couple of songs 😂

He could still tease the intro if it was an opener. I don't really like how long the intro has become actually, just tease it 2-3 times and wait for "Do you know where the fuck you are?". Mr Brownstone could take it's current place and the show would still have the same pacing - Jungle, Easy, CD, Brownstone - because outside the big 3 singles from Appetite, Mr Brownstone is probably the next 'most popular' song among casual fans. That and Nightrain are the only ones I've heard on the radio multiple times...

7 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

He could still tease the intro if it was an opener. I don't really like how long the intro has become actually, just tease it 2-3 times and wait for "Do you know where the fuck you are?". Mr Brownstone could take it's current place and the show would still have the same pacing - Jungle, Easy, CD, Brownstone - because outside the big 3 singles from Appetite, Mr Brownstone is probably the next 'most popular' song among casual fans. That and Nightrain are the only ones I've heard on the radio multiple times...

I just usually hear a couple illusion toons, but I know what you mean, Jungle then straight in to Its So Easy, Nightrain, Brownstone. I want Nightrain to be back near the beginning of the setlist

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

When guns played in sydney in 07 they opened with jungle and did the tease with the pedal. Though would live to heat rndth.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

Right Next Door to Hell and Perfect Crime and good ones, start the show off with a high speed high energy bang...keep it powerful for the next three or four songs then perhaps slow it down a bit.  Jungles good but Jungle has that kinda teasing intro that anywhere in the show you would put it would be good and its a little cliched to open with your first big hit.

Edited by Len Cnut

8 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

It's cool how much love Perfect Crime is getting, feel like it's an underappreciated song just because the studio recording probably didn't turn out the way it should have

Why’d you think it didn’t turn out the way it should have? Was there comments from them about regretting something about the song?

9 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

He could still tease the intro if it was an opener. I don't really like how long the intro has become actually, just tease it 2-3 times and wait for "Do you know where the fuck you are?". 

just like rock in rio 3... brilliant!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Why’d you think it didn’t turn out the way it should have? Was there comments from them about regretting something about the song?

Well when performing the song live, there were no effects used, it's really cut down-much closer to a hard rock/metal track. LALD, Dust N Bones, You Ain't the First, Bad Obsessions DTJ all seem relatively intact from the studio versions to live performances. I just feel like retrospectively Perfect Crime would have been done a different way, that's all

To me It’s So Easy will always be the best, mainly because of how the crowd plays off it. It’s a nice intro to each band member. People pop for the initial bass riff, slash’s solos, and Axl saying “Fuck off!” Perfect introduction for each member in one action packed song. 

• Like 2

I chose WTTJ.  Nothing beats it.  Now if you had made the topic anything BESIDES WTTJ I think things would be more interesting :lol:

My favorite song that GNR has opened with besides WTTJ is It's So Easy.  Its my favorite GNR song and I love how pissed off it is.  It goes from Axl's snarling to Axl screeching.  Slash's solo just sounds as mean as the song is.  I absolutely love it.  

My favorite song that GNR has never opened but I wish they did is Garden of Eden.  I always imagined the lights going down, and then you hear Slash do the guitar intro, Axl does the "It's a critical solution" bit and then all the lights flash extremely bright like in Patience during "the lights shine so bright" part and the whole band is onstage jamming.  It's a high energy song as well.  

57 minutes ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

The best opening  ever  was at the MTV awards.  The curtain going up while the intro was being played was epic then the long raspy scream. All down hill from there though.

Take that intro and stick it together with the 1988 awards WTTJ. There we go!

• Like 1

I loved when they opened with Chinese. It was a spectacle in itself with Ashba™ coming up on the high rise for the opening riff. However, I don't think it would suit this current line up. It's So Easy is a great opener and builds the momentum of the show perfectly. Plus knowing what the fans are like when they hit the stage, they know it will be even more nuts by the time they hit Jungle. The first 5 songs of the NITL setlist are spot on. 

2 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Well when performing the song live, there were no effects used, it's really cut down-much closer to a hard rock/metal track. LALD, Dust N Bones, You Ain't the First, Bad Obsessions DTJ all seem relatively intact from the studio versions to live performances. I just feel like retrospectively Perfect Crime would have been done a different way, that's all

Fair doos. I just wish they would play it again. 👍 I guess Garden if Eden is similar in regards to the effects however we get an idea of what it sounds like of the rehearsal version that was doing the rounds from before UYI was out. Axl might struggle right enough!