UsedYourIllusion

What's the best opener GN'R has ever used?

What's been the best opener?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. What's the best opener they've used?

• It's So Easy
    • Welcome To the Jungle
    • You're Crazy
    • Nightrain
    • Perfect Crime
    • Right Next Door To Hell
    • Chinese Democracy
    • Something elese (Coma, Pretty Tied Up etc)

2 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Well when performing the song live, there were no effects used, it's really cut down-much closer to a hard rock/metal track. LALD, Dust N Bones, You Ain't the First, Bad Obsessions DTJ all seem relatively intact from the studio versions to live performances. I just feel like retrospectively Perfect Crime would have been done a different way, that's all

Fair doos. I just wish they would play it again. 👍 I guess Garden if Eden is similar in regards to the effects however we get an idea of what it sounds like of the rehearsal version that was doing the rounds from before UYI was out. Axl might struggle right enough!

Is't so easy or WTTJ , two are interchangeable ones.

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

Perfect Crime

Frankly Perfect Crime and Dust N' Bones need proper proshot releases, I know we have St Louis/Indiana and Live Era for Dust N Bones, but a proshot performance like from Philly, Toronto, Texas, the Forum would be my ultimate GN'R dream. 

• Like 1

Most of the ones they've used are really great, apart from Nightrain which seem to better fit the late part of a show.

Jungle is always killer. YCBM is a very strong opener. 

I'm a bit tired of ISE as an opener, and WTTJ would seem a little cliche in my opinion. I voted for Perfect Crime; the sheer energy that Axl used to bring on... In fact I've always preferred live performances of that song rather than the album version because of the energy. Although, I'm not sure how well he could pull it off nowadays.

I must agree with some of you here on YCBM, it would be my second choice. The intro builds up very nicely, it's punchy, intense, suspenseful, and the whole song just carries the right amount of energy to start off the show and keep the crowd pumped up. And it's probably wiser to open with a better known tune, anyway.

• Like 1

It's So easy worked great for the NITL tour but it has grown tired.  I think Jungle is great and that was they opened with the first time I ever saw them in 91..  That is what I voted for.. I can't really think of a better way than a loud "You Know Where the Fuck You Are!?!?!?!?!?" to kick things off. 

I feel that the opening track is one of the best songs to mix up.  Not knowing what you are going to get kind of makes the show a little more exciting right off the bat and the first song will get a great reaction no matter what.  I also think it is important to mix up the encore. 

• Like 1

I voted Perfect Crime, but I think You Could Be Mine comes really close. The only time they opened with it on the 1991 tour (Denver), sounds incredible. So much power, none of that whiny first half. 

• Like 1