The Joker

downzy

Apparently takes place in the 80s and doesn't have the pressure of tying into any larger DC universe.  

If it does hold up I wonder if they might tie it into the next Batman flick reportedly coming out in 2021 or 2022.

46 minutes ago, downzy said:

Apparently takes place in the 80s and doesn't have the pressure of tying into any larger DC universe.  

If it does hold up I wonder if they might tie it into the next Batman flick reportedly coming out in 2021 or 2022.

Supposedly that Batman film will take place in the late 90s/ early 2000s. So it’s doable, as long as Phoenix is able to act like he’s 20 years older.

Edited by rocknroll41

24 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Not crazy about Joaquin playing the Joker. He seems too old. I guess I'll see what the reviews say when it's released.

Will Batman be in it too?

No this is a prequel that takes place when Batman is just a little boy, before his parents are even dead.

Doesn't really blow my skirt up.

I've never been particularity interested in the Joker having a backstory, especially if it's a backstory where he was just an "ordinary dude." Tim Burton's Batman wasn't so bad because it established the Joker was a bad guy who just went totally bananas after a catastrophic accident. It was acceptable, under the circumstances and it plausibly tied him into the mafia, which explained how he could have a legion of goons.

Nolan did it the best, because Joker was almost the absence of a character. He was totally enigmatic; he came from nowhere, suffered no accident with toxic waste, he just was

I remember reading Nolan say once that Heath Ledger's secret to playing the Joker was that he wasn't really playing the Joker...he was playing the Devil. He was this force of nature with no past and no future and his only goal in life was to corrupt as many souls as he could and get decent people to commit atrocities. It all clicked when I read that.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, appetite4illusions said:

Doesn't really blow my skirt up.

I've never been particularity interested in the Joker having a backstory, especially if it's a backstory where he was just an "ordinary dude." Tim Burton's Batman wasn't so bad because it established the Joker was a bad guy who just went totally bananas after a catastrophic accident. It was acceptable, under the circumstances and it plausibly tied him into the mafia, which explained how he could have a legion of goons.

Nolan did it the best, because Joker was almost the absence of a character. He was totally enigmatic; he came from nowhere, suffered no accident with toxic waste, he just was

I remember reading Nolan say once that Heath Ledger's secret to playing the Joker was that he wasn't really playing the Joker...he was playing the Devil. He was this force of nature with no past and no future and his only goal in life was to corrupt as many souls as he could and get decent people to commit atrocities. It all clicked when I read that.

I said exactly this same thing to a friend last night.

I am interested in this movie but I really love the idea of how Nolan did it. Yes, Ledget was amazing but that's not the argument I'm making at all. I'm pointing towards the fact that the character itself was much more scary to me from Nolan because there wasn't a reason for him to be the way he was. That's far more scary and menacing to me than any sort of "the world beat this guy down" story, which is what this trailer looks like to me. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

No this is a prequel that takes place when Batman is just a little boy, before his parents are even dead.

Oh wow. Okay. So it might be something like the Gotham tv show, which is ending this year. I'm going to miss this show.

well, not sure about seeing it. I will have to see the reviews and see what fans say when it's released.

There are a lot of horror movies coming out too and I always try to see them first.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/31/2019 at 2:32 PM, downzy said:

IGN gave it a 10/10. 

Even if you’re not a fan of that site, it’s definitely encouraging for those interested in this film. 

Wow, I really wasn't expecting much from the reviews. I'll probably go see it on opening weekend