The Joker

downzy

On 9/9/2019 at 3:06 PM, appetite4illusions said:

I think it's obvious that this film is going to end with Joker killing Batman's dad...which sets this up as quasi prequel to the Tim Burton film.

Or the quasi prequel to the Batman reboot that Matt Reeves and Robert Pattinson are doing that comes out in 2021... just a theory of mine!

5 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Or the quasi prequel to the Batman reboot that Matt Reeves and Robert Pattinson are doing that comes out in 2021... just a theory of mine!

Doesn't look like that's the intention, at least not currently. 

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/joker-batman-joaquin-phoenix-robert-pattinson-1203329997/

It never looked like a comic book movie so I don't see how it would fit into the overally DC continuity. Looks more like a taxi driver  or falling down type story of a guy that just has had enough. Alan Moore wrote about one bad day in the killing joke, this will be more like one bad day too many.

3 hours ago, moreblack said:

It never looked like a comic book movie so I don't see how it would fit into the overally DC continuity. Looks more like a taxi driver  or falling down type story of a guy that just has had enough. Alan Moore wrote about one bad day in the killing joke, this will be more like one bad day too many.

I read reviews. It seems the movie is based on both Taxi Driver and the graphic novel The Killing Joke. It also deals with the issue of mental illness. And the lack of resources to help patients

• 2 weeks later...

The film is taking shade-  it's losing some of that "must-see" luster that the studio threw into marketing mode, a couple weeks ago.

The rotten tomatoes score is going down and controversy is catching on. Seems like the eight minute standing ovation was something of a fluke.

I think the film will do fair business, but its interesting to see something get lots of hype in one moment and then chill off a moment later...all before the product even hits the market.

So sick of people blaming movies for people hurting or killing innocent people.

Movies have been violent since the beginning of time and most movie show what life is about. 

Anyone who sees a movie or a tv show or listens to some music and then does a violent act, is on them.

Same with this vapping shit too. if you don't realize smoking something will hurt your body, then you are just too stupid. 

It's a parents' job to protect their child from harm. It's not an easy job, but talking to your child is a good way to start. I'm not saying some kids will do what they want anyway, isn't that what teens do? but maybe if parents communicate with their kids instead of ignoring them and giving them a computer and a phone, less shit would happen. I don't feel anyone should raise your child besides a parent. It's the same shit all over again. Some parents think other people or companies or teachers or whatever should raise their kdis and that's not their jobs.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

So sick of people blaming movies for people hurting or killing innocent people.

Movies have been violent since the beginning of time and most movie show what life is about. 

Anyone who sees a movie or a tv show or listens to some music and then does a violent act, is on them.

Same with this vapping shit too. if you don't realize smoking something will hurt your body, then you are just too stupid. 

It's a parents' job to protect their child from harm. It's not an easy job, but talking to your child is a good way to start. I'm not saying some kids will do what they want anyway, isn't that what teens do? but maybe if parents communicate with their kids instead of ignoring them and giving them a computer and a phone, less shit would happen. I don't feel anyone should raise your child besides a parent. It's the same shit all over again. Some parents think other people or companies or teachers or whatever should raise their kdis and that's not their jobs.

Definitely agree. There has been and will be much worse films in regards to violence and horror content than Joker, you cant just pick and choose which film you want to be mad about. I understand the subject matter is challenging and I honestly hope they don't glorify him in this movie because he isn't supposed to be a good person but yeah. 

I think they made a statement which will show before the movie now. WTF?

Do the research and if it's too violent for you, don't go see it.

I was surprised no one bitched about Rambo. I mean did you see all the traps he's setting for the bad guys? Awesome!

I'm just tired of people thinking we all have to be responsible for other people's actions.  It's just too hard taking care of my self and my child. But that's MY job! People need to take care of their own shit. We can't stop the crazies from doing shit. I wish we could, but we can't.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2019 at 10:44 AM, appetite4illusions said:

The film is taking shade-  it's losing some of that "must-see" luster that the studio threw into marketing mode, a couple weeks ago.

The rotten tomatoes score is going down and controversy is catching on. Seems like the eight minute standing ovation was something of a fluke.

I think the film will do fair business, but its interesting to see something get lots of hype in one moment and then chill off a moment later...all before the product even hits the market.

The real scores (audience) aren't in yet. We've seen plenty of the critic/audience divide in the past several years.

On 9/27/2019 at 2:17 PM, Jw224 said:

Definitely agree. There has been and will be much worse films in regards to violence and horror content than Joker, you cant just pick and choose which film you want to be mad about. I understand the subject matter is challenging and I honestly hope they don't glorify him in this movie because he isn't supposed to be a good person but yeah. 

That's the thing. I agree with them in that culture (and film is a huge part of culture nowadays) matters. However, the inconsistency of what to get outraged about is the real outrage!

Guys this is like our very own Welcome To The Jungle. But made into a 2 hours movie. I'm all for movies to deal with social issues like the gap between rich and poor, corruption, greed, mental illness, child abuse, unjustice, bulyling etc. We have seen movies like Taxi Driver, Fight Club or V For Vendetta. The part that doesn't make sense to me in this case is DC getting in the mix. Arthur Fleck can do all those things without turning into a DC character

I’ve seen so many people say this is a “love it or hate it film,” but I disagree.

I don’t love it and I don’t hate it, but its exercise in trying to give the Joker a proper backstory...just doesn’t quite do it...because even at the very end of the movie...I don’t feel like this is the Joker.

Joker is a force so fierce, that he’s like a part of nature...Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker is the equivalent if the lucky loser. He commits random acts of violence and then gets away with it because there’s already so many fires to put out.

This film really, should have been called “Arthur,” because it’s so much more appropriate. It’s not about the clown prince, it’s about a sad, delusional man that is almost completely hapless.

Again, great acting work but not Joker to me, because I never saw Joker as such a pathetic, pathetic creature. There’s a real confidence to the Joker that Arthur will never have. 

It’s no clown prince - it’s clown punk.

No offence, but that reads like a pretentious movie review from someone who was thinking more about what to write, than what they saw.

Seen it today at the 2:PM showing here. Cinema was usually filled out abit for a afternoon showing. It's normally abandoned.

I really like this, but I didn't love it. It's not that the trailer gives away too much, it's that it includes too many scenes from early on the film. So you know what's going to happen in alot of scenes, until the second half.

I can see the criticism of the director being too in love with the scenes, but honestly so what? I don't however get the idea that this is conservative propaganda as some reviewers are desperate to go out about. I think with the early buzz, people were just looking for a reason to hate it. imo just treat it as a film on it's own merits.

Although I would be intrigued to see another film with Joaquin Phoenix, I just don't think it's necessary. This doesn't work if it's a Batman film.

10 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

No offence, but that reads like a pretentious movie review from someone who was thinking more about what to write, than what they saw.

I was an English major, so you’ll forgive me if I use my useless degree on the internet.

But no man, it’s not coming from a pretentious place. Go back and read what I’ve said earlier in the thread- long before I saw the film or knew of any controversy surrounding it.

My point is telling a a Joker origin is a self-defeating premise. No origin will do for me, particularly one where he’s an average Joe.

I just never expected the character to be such a pathetic worm. I don’t see the Joker that way and if you do, I question how you can call him the most successful criminal diva.

I saw a decent movie about a loser who gets away from his crimes because the script gives him an emergency exit whenever necessary. That’s fine for what it is, but when you’re telling a story about (capital letters) JOKER and your character is as minor and hapless as the lower case, it really should be called “Arthur.”

Just wasn’t Joker for me man, sorry if that’s not what you want to hear.

1 minute ago, appetite4illusions said:

tI saw a decent movie about a loser who gets away from his crimes because the script gives him an emergency exit whenever necessary.

Spoiler

He doesn't get away with anything, the film ends up with him running down a corridor in an asylum.

We've seen so many takes on this before. We really didn't another Heath Ledger's man with a plan, Jack Nicholson playing Jack Nicholson, Mark Hamill's cartoon villain or whatever was going on in Suicide Squad.

This is a film grounded in reality, based in the 80's before mass surveillance. It's not a Batman film, it's entirely plausible that most of this could happen. 

Spoiler

...And the less likely part on the chat show, results in with him getting caught anyway.

I wasn't personally interested in watching a superhero film.

5 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

This is a film grounded in reality, based in the 80's before mass surveillance. It's not a Batman film, it's entirely plausible that most of this could happen. 

Reveal hidden contents

And that was my point. What DC characters have to do with anything? It can be done and in fact it was done. But you can have the same kind of movie but instead of Thomas and Bruce Wayne. You can call those same characters John and Peter Smith. It seems to me that DC characters play the role of the clickbait or something like it.

On 9/14/2019 at 7:08 PM, Spuffy78 said:

If they recasted Ben, and if rumors are true Henry might be out maybe we'll get a new joker.

Yeah but the new Batman film with Robert Pattinson is confirmed now to also exist outside of the mainline DC film continuity. Like this new Joker film, it will exist in its own pocket universe (separate from the other films from Man of Steel onward). So recasting Affleck with Pattinson doesn’t really count, in a sense.

Personally, I don’t think we will ever see Leto or Cavill again in these movies, and I don’t think their respective characters will be recast in the mainline universe either. I think the next time we see either Superman or Joker again will be in other standalone films under the new “DC Black” label. The mainline universe will just slowly fizzle away once they milk it as much as they can with the few actors who’ve been warmly received by audiences (Robbie, Gadot, and Mamoa), and then it’ll just be all standalone movies not connected together at all under the DC Black label from that point onward.

I saw on HLN news programs today that some crazies are threatening to do violence in some movie theaters that are showing the Joker. WTF is going on? Now the police have to make sure anyone who sees this movie doesn't get killed during it. I think it's time to put metal dectetors everywhere now. This world is getting to be too much.

We should be free and safe to go to a movie no matter how violent it may be. It just goes to show you, how you can't stop every crazy bastard from doing something at an event that should be a fun time.

I wonder if any Dallas theaters will do extra security? I'm sorry to say but the safest place in Texas is any football stadium. The security is very strict in those places.

I hope the Joker is the number one movie of the week and Joaquin gets an oscar for his role.

Well, I just hope no one is hurt or killed seeing this movie or any other movie. Be safe out there people.