LA Guns Frontman Says All GN'R Albums Except 'Appetite' Are 'Pretty Average'

14 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Thats different, they're fast and loose, like Eddie Feltson.  Frenetic.  These things are a saving grace.  Besides which my comment about Izzy wasn't to say that he wasn't capable of making a good dense racket but rather he has a rhythmically driven quality that offsets the more metallar-ish tendencies of Slash.

Ah, a Fast Eddie reference, gives me a hankering for some J.T.S. Brown.

Edited by lame ass security
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

This is ridiculous. Are you lot going to shit your trews whenever somebody criticises your god Rose? The LA Guns chap is entitled to his opinion. The Illusions are spottier than a block of swiss cheese haha.

You can like em or not but records with so many hits, great songs and album sales like the Illusions are far from average. I don't like the Beatles, still it would be stupid to say they are average.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I have heard Cocked & Loaded, the self titled and a few of their recent ones and even the biggest hits I wasn't that impressed with - although if there are any deep cuts you are willing to reccomend I am up for checking those out before further bashing them more :lol:

I really like Hollywood Vampires.

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

This is ridiculous. Are you lot going to shit your trews whenever somebody criticises your god Rose? The LA Guns chap is entitled to his opinion. The Illusions are spottier than a block of swiss cheese haha.

You must know how it goes by now Diesel....

Band/individual says something derogatory about Guns >> We have five pages of Guns fans talking shit about said band/individual >> Repeat ad nauseam

You're not playing by the rules!!!

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Must be a miserable feeling being a fan of one-album-wonder.

11 hours ago, Dean said:

I've always seen the devotion that we as fans give very similar to that of following your favourite sports team. We invest our time coming here daily, voicing our opinions and concerns on whatever the band may or may not be doing. Whenever Guns are playing, we've got threads on the show, where people all over the world give their thoughts on how the performance is going, whether it be good or bad, but at the end of the day, we all want to see the band firing on all cylinders and showing that they're the best at what they do. If someone comes along and slates your team or whatever you spend your time/money on, I'd say it would be a natural response to put them in their place.

Or I could have had too much to drink and talking nonsense, which is possibly more likely :lol:

You shouldn't stop drinking, Sir.

• GNFNR 1

4 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

You don't like Coma @Len Cnut?

Why you no good, lisp having, swan fucking, piece of paper being son of a bitch! *breaks chair over you*

I know. Shocking isn't it? I used to think so highly of Len, but it just goes to show, you never really know someone like you think you do....

26 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

You don't like Coma @Len Cnut?

Why you no good, lisp having, swan fucking, piece of paper being son of a bitch! *breaks chair over you*

Mate, its a load of cheese-on-toast bollocks.  Apart from being musically naff the lyrics, Oh God, the fuckin' lyrics, they're just terrible, awful, self indulgent whingey bollocks.  Its so by numbers, the Comfortably Numb motif, I'm in a coma and don't wanna live this life but then coming back and like...fuckin' hell, a 13 yr old could've wrote it, its just dreadful, lazy songwriting.  And then to make a bad situation worse its a shit, groove-less idea (not that everything has to have fuckin' groove but its not like he's making some kind of Kraftwerk-esque soundscape here!) that, for some reason, Axl felt inspired enough to fuckin' make into a what is it, 11, 12, 13 minute song?  Its like the worst fuckin' idea to try that with.  It really is a dreadful song and shows that like, GnR, for all their good points, and there are plenty, were never really in that upper tier of songwriters/musicians/rock bands to where they could pull off something like that, make something of value out of it.  It is fuckin' proper corny. 

And I don't even mind maudlin, I mean I got Morrissey in my fuckin' avatar for crying out loud...but this has none of the charm, the wit, the talent of someone like Moz, its basically Slash having a metaller wank (and there's no wank worse than a metaller wank) while Axl has a lengthy whinge over it.  It don't even feel like song lyrics, it feels like some cunt having a moan.  Its the only out and out shit original song (lest someone point out Sympathy for the Devil) that original Guns made, I mean there was some questionable shit in their catalogue but it was always like, something in there of value, a good idea, a good riff, cool lyrics, there was always something, Comas just fuckin' absolute shite. 

To me, its songs like this that keep Guns from being like, exceptional.  They're good.  Very good.  Sometimes even brilliant.  But they have such poor desicion making, in my opinion, in some avenues of the job.  There are just certain fuckin' things, certain choices they make, whether its picking covers that they don't have the dynamic to pull off well, or this insistence of seeing through shit ideas, just really bad desicion-making and y'know what, part of being a great band is the choices you make.  Even the greatest of bands, if they made certain shit desicions, it'd set em on a path from which history would look at em totally different.  Take The Beatles for examples, imagine if they'd've folded and done How Do You Do as their first single instead of Please Please Me, cuz its not a bad song, it was a hit for Gerry and the Pacemakers and The Beatles version of it on the Anthology is respectable, it would've probably been a hit, but nah, something in em just made the choice of like, fuck it, hit or no hit we're going THIS way.  Just these little desicions that kinda take a band on a certain path and Guns were notoriously fuckin' dreadful with such choices...consistently dreadful. 

Edited by Len Cnut

Coma is brilliant and in the top 5 objectively best GNR songs

No its not, its charmless wank and indicative of a man, or a band, whoose ambition far exceeds their talent.  Like a good young prospect getting a title shot and getting starched in the 5th round.

Pink Floyd is amazing

Ugh. 

Step Brothers, The Other Guys and Anchorman 1 are all hilarious. 

Its fuckin' biege comedy.  It is, to the field of comedy, what magnolia paint is to painting and decorating, the safe OK option. 

P.S. I don't need to be dangerous all the time. I appreciate a little biege now and again. 

To me its a simple choice between interesting and uninteresting.  I will admit to sometimes being a victim of image when it comes to artists but I try to correct this whenever possible.  Perhaps I just get bored easily, I dunno. 

18 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

See now there's class, love Rodney Dangerfield.  And uh, lest I come across as arrogant in my musical opinings its worth noting that I am a talentless observer of music who doesn't and won't have an ounce of the prowess of a Slash or an Axl Rose even if I live a thousand lifetimes :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut

47 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

It don't even feel like song lyrics, it feels like some cunt having a moan.

:rofl-lol:

48 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

To me, its songs like this that keep Guns from being like, exceptional.  They're good.  Very good.  Sometimes even brilliant.

Which GN'R songs do you consider brilliant?

Coma is probably one of my favourite GnR songs, the last verse is, like Axl said, one of the best things he has ever written. I mean, it's a ten minute song with no chorus and I've never been bored by it, not once, and I can't tell you how many times I've listened to it. It aged incredibly well.

54 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I mean I got Morrissey in my fuckin' avatar for crying out loud

I thought it was Robbie Williams, but to me English people all lookalike.

Edited by EvanG
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Which GN'R songs do you consider brilliant?

I meant more that they had moments of brilliance as opposed to entire songs, certain solos, certain sections, certain times when Axl sings and really comes across as powerful.  I'd say One in a Million was brilliant, brilliant vocal take, contentious subject matter, sounds quite sincere, if I don't necessarily agree with the sentiment.  You're Crazy, the slow version is a great vocal take.  You Could Be Mine is pretty brilliant overall.  Appetite as an album is brilliant I'd say.  The SCOM solo is pretty fuckin' brilliant.  SCOM in general.  Used to Love Her is a funny, cheeky, charming little tune.  14 Years I think is very good, in a really subtle kind of way.  I really like the solo in Patience, Patience the song in general.  Civil War, perhaps Axls best lyrics and a great song overall.  Certain aspects of the songwriting in that song were good and Axl puts them across really well.  The more rocking, aggressive, defiant, arrogant songs on Appetite I love for their overall ability to convey attitude.  Since I Don't Have You is a great vocal take.  Mr Brownstone is a great little riff.  Tastes Good, Don't It? is funny and kinda cool in a sub-early Chili Peppers kinda way. 

Yeah, I guess I struggle to cite entire songs that are out and out brilliant.  One in a Million probably tops the table. 

Just now, Oldest Goat said:

I'll tell you one thing, Evan my boy. Coma takes a gigantic shit on The Sex Pistols...

Funny enough, just last week I listened to Nevermind The Bollocks, because I'm ashamed to admit it, but I don't think I've ever listened to the entire thing and I used to be a punk kid for crying out loud, but I gotta tell you... I wasn't impressed at all, so you're right once again!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I'll tell you one thing, Evan my boy. Coma takes a gigantic shit on The Sex Pistols...

The very name Sex Pistols has more to it than Guns n Roses in its entirity :lol:  And I mean that quite literally, its probably the best band name I've ever heard for a mainstream band, we won't live to see another of their like again, if ever there is a band to cause an ounce of the stir The Sex Pistols did, have one iota of the influence and make an album that supremely perfect, from the guitar work to the horrible snotty vocals, to the contentious lyrics and down to the perfect album artwork then I'll eat an entire shoe-store, bricks and mortar included.  Even their fuckin' manager was cooler than anything GnR ever had anything to do with.  Literally every move The Pistols made from their inception in the mid 70s to their implosion in 1978 onstage in San Francisico, right down to Rottens 'ahaha, ever get the feeling you been cheated?' was stone cold perfect.  They are so perfect that I can scarcely believe they ever actually happened. 

Edited by Len Cnut

'God Save the Queen' - well you know my opinion of the royals, I can appreciate the sentiment. 'Anarchy in the UK' - same feeling. I understand the impact of the time because the class system over there is so fucked

My man Rotten got stabbed on the streets over that song.  Was also discussed in parliament, it was proposed that he be executed for treason.  Over pop music.  Such was the power of their music. 

but they're a one hit wonder really

One hit wonder suggests that they made other shit that flopped, they only had the one album and it stands today as a definitive statement, musically and in every other way.  There's a reason GnR worked with Bill Price.

To me, being punk af is more or less the same thing as being an opera snob. It's narrow. 

I don't really think I'm qualified to judge, I'm not of that time or generation but suffice to say its as narrow as a persons understanding of it.  Suffice to say none of the original punks had mohawks or were committed to three chords and barking.  Most genres are defined by constrictive archetypes, its how they become identifiable but I could put punk albums to you that you'd struggle to assign a genre to.