Towelie

LA Guns Frontman Says All GN'R Albums Except 'Appetite' Are 'Pretty Average'

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

Coma is probably one of my favourite GnR songs, the last verse is, like Axl said, one of the best things he has ever written. I mean, it's a ten minute song with no chorus and I've never been bored by it, not once, and I can't tell you how many times I've listened to it. It aged incredibly well.

I thought it was Robbie Williams, but to me English people all lookalike.

I'll tell you one thing, Evan my boy. Coma takes a gigantic shit on The Sex Pistols...

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Which GN'R songs do you consider brilliant?

I meant more that they had moments of brilliance as opposed to entire songs, certain solos, certain sections, certain times when Axl sings and really comes across as powerful.  I'd say One in a Million was brilliant, brilliant vocal take, contentious subject matter, sounds quite sincere, if I don't necessarily agree with the sentiment.  You're Crazy, the slow version is a great vocal take.  You Could Be Mine is pretty brilliant overall.  Appetite as an album is brilliant I'd say.  The SCOM solo is pretty fuckin' brilliant.  SCOM in general.  Used to Love Her is a funny, cheeky, charming little tune.  14 Years I think is very good, in a really subtle kind of way.  I really like the solo in Patience, Patience the song in general.  Civil War, perhaps Axls best lyrics and a great song overall.  Certain aspects of the songwriting in that song were good and Axl puts them across really well.  The more rocking, aggressive, defiant, arrogant songs on Appetite I love for their overall ability to convey attitude.  Since I Don't Have You is a great vocal take.  Mr Brownstone is a great little riff.  Tastes Good, Don't It? is funny and kinda cool in a sub-early Chili Peppers kinda way. 

Yeah, I guess I struggle to cite entire songs that are out and out brilliant.  One in a Million probably tops the table. 

Just now, Oldest Goat said:

I'll tell you one thing, Evan my boy. Coma takes a gigantic shit on The Sex Pistols...

Funny enough, just last week I listened to Nevermind The Bollocks, because I'm ashamed to admit it, but I don't think I've ever listened to the entire thing and I used to be a punk kid for crying out loud, but I gotta tell you... I wasn't impressed at all, so you're right once again!

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

The very name Sex Pistols has more to it than Guns n Roses in its entirity :lol:  And I mean that quite literally, its probably the best band name I've ever heard for a mainstream band, we won't live to see another of their like again, if ever there is a band to cause an ounce of the stir The Sex Pistols did, have one iota of the influence and make an album that supremely perfect, from the guitar work to the horrible snotty vocals, to the contentious lyrics and down to the perfect album artwork then I'll eat an entire shoe-store, bricks and mortar included.  Even their fuckin' manager was cooler than anything GnR ever had anything to do with.  Literally every move The Pistols made from their inception in the mid 70s to their implosion in 1978 onstage in San Francisico, right down to Rottens 'ahaha, ever get the feeling you been cheated?' was stone cold perfect.  They are so perfect that I can scarcely believe they ever actually happened. 

Edited by Len Cnut

Just now, EvanG said:

Funny enough, just last week I listened to Nevermind The Bollocks, because I'm ashamed to admit it, but I don't think I've ever listened to the entire thing and I used to be a punk kid for crying out loud, but I gotta tell you... I wasn't impressed at all, so you're right once again!

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

The very name Sex Pistols has more to it than Guns n Roses in its entirity :lol:  And I mean that quite literally, its probably the best band name I've ever heard for a mainstream band, we won't live to see another of their like again, if ever there is a band to cause an ounce of the stir The Sex Pistols did, have one iota of the influence and make an album that supremely perfect, from the guitar work to the horrible snotty vocals, to the contentious lyrics and down to the perfect album artwork then I'll eat an entire shoe-store, bricks and mortar included. 

'God Save the Queen' - well you know my opinion of the royals, I can appreciate the sentiment. 'Anarchy in the UK' - same feeling. I understand the impact of the time because the class system over there is so fucked but they're a one hit wonder really. 

To me, being punk af is more or less the same thing as being an opera snob. It's narrow. 

• Like 1

'God Save the Queen' - well you know my opinion of the royals, I can appreciate the sentiment. 'Anarchy in the UK' - same feeling. I understand the impact of the time because the class system over there is so fucked

My man Rotten got stabbed on the streets over that song.  Was also discussed in parliament, it was proposed that he be executed for treason.  Over pop music.  Such was the power of their music. 

but they're a one hit wonder really

One hit wonder suggests that they made other shit that flopped, they only had the one album and it stands today as a definitive statement, musically and in every other way.  There's a reason GnR worked with Bill Price.

To me, being punk af is more or less the same thing as being an opera snob. It's narrow. 

I don't really think I'm qualified to judge, I'm not of that time or generation but suffice to say its as narrow as a persons understanding of it.  Suffice to say none of the original punks had mohawks or were committed to three chords and barking.  Most genres are defined by constrictive archetypes, its how they become identifiable but I could put punk albums to you that you'd struggle to assign a genre to. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

My man Rotten got stabbed on the streets over that song.  Was also discussed in parliament, it was proposed that he be executed for treason.  Over pop music.  Such was the power of their music. 

One hit wonder suggests that they made other shit that flopped, they only had the one album and it stands today as a definitive statement, musically and in every other way.  There's a reason GnR worked with Bill Price.

I don't really think I'm qualified to judge, I'm not of that time or generation but suffice to say its as narrow as a persons understanding of it.  Suffice to say none of the original punks had mohawks or were committed to three chords and barking.  Most genres are defined by constrictive archetypes, its how they become identifiable but I could put punk albums to you that you'd struggle to assign a genre to. 

I don't know if it's fair to entirely credit Rotten being stabbed and a bunch of stupid old dandies in parliament talking big of execution for treason, to the power of their music. It has more to do with the ingrained madness which was already present - and still is. 

One hit wonder meaning one trick pony. Which Guns N' Roses is not. 

Credit where credit's due, I'm not saying there's no value in punk and you've got to respect or at least appreciate breaking the mold. But is doing just one thing truly brave or just easy and lazy? Toiling away, putting the work in, developing and changing, like GNR did - that's more worthwhile and more 'punk' to me than resting on laurels. Although they do that LIVE with their setlist.

Edited by Oldest Goat

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

The Pistols had more hits than Guns.

No they didn't lol

No they didn't lol

Anarchy, Pretty Vacant, God Save the Queen, Holiday in the Sun. Guns had Jungle, SCOM and November Rain

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

Anarchy, Pretty Vacant, God Save the Queen, Holiday in the Sun. Guns had Jungle, SCOM and November Rain

Paradise City. Live and Let Die. Patience. Don't Cry.

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

Paradise City. Live and Let Die. Patience. Don't Cry.

My Way, Something Else, Silly Thing, C'mon Everybody

Posted (edited)

I don't know if it's fair to entirely credit Rotten being stabbed and a bunch of stupid old dandies in parliament talking big of execution for treason, to the power of their music. It has more to do with the ingrained madness which was already present - and still is. 

Thats like saying you can't credit GnRs record sales to them cuz it was the fans paying for it, they made the music that sold the records in the same way The Pistols made the music that caused the reaction at hand

But is doing just one thing truly brave or just easy and lazy?

They didn't plan to break up, it just happened that way, it wasn't part of the plan to explode.

Toiling away, putting the work in, developing and changing, like GNR did - that's more worthwhile and more 'punk' to me than resting on laurels.

Rotten then went on to form PiL, who developed and changed more in two albums than Guns did in their entire career.  And thats not counting the rest of their work.  Listen to Metal Box or Flowers of Romance and tell me you don't see/hear a quantum leap in development.

Edited by Len Cnut

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

My Way, Something Else, Silly Thing, C'mon Everybody

Estranged. Knockin' On Heaven's Door. Civil War. You Could Be Mine.

Most of what you're saying aren't even hits lol. So far GNR has 11. Pistols have 2. God Save the Queen and Anarchy in the UK(and a bunch of filler that aren't hits)

Edited by Oldest Goat
  • Like 1

Most of what you're saying aren't even hits lol.

1977 "God Save the Queen" 2
"Pretty Vacant" 6
"Holidays in the Sun" 8
1978 "No One Is Innocent"/"My Way" 7
1979 "Something Else"/"Friggin' in the Riggin'" 3
"Silly Thing"/"Who Killed Bambi?" c 6
"C'mon Everybody" 3

All top ten

Posted (edited)

Just because @DieselDaisy has mentioned their "HITS". 

Edited by Sosso

1 minute ago, Oldest Goat said:

Heck, even the two singles off of Spaghetti and Sympathy For The Devil reached the top ten in a lot of countries.

• GNFNR 1

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:
1977 "God Save the Queen" 2
"Pretty Vacant" 6
"Holidays in the Sun" 8
1978 "No One Is Innocent"/"My Way" 7
1979 "Something Else"/"Friggin' in the Riggin'" 3
"Silly Thing"/"Who Killed Bambi?" c 6
"C'mon Everybody" 3

All top ten

Still not enough anyway. They released every track as singles did they or are they up there because they were all on the one album? If that's what passes chuck the rest of AFD up there.

You're taking the piss eh?

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Thats like saying you can't credit GnRs record sales to them cuz it was the fans paying for it, they made the music that sold the records in the same way The Pistols made the music that caused the reaction at hand

They didn't plan to break up, it just happened that way, it wasn't part of the plan to explode.

Rotten then went on to form PiL, who developed and changed more in two albums than Guns did in their entire career.  And thats not counting the rest of their work.  Listen to Metal Box or Flowers of Romance and tell me you don't see/hear a quantum leap in development.

No, it's not like saying that. GNR fans buying GNR records making GNR successful is cold fact. Claiming the reaction The Sex Pistols got was solely down to their musical power and not simply shit stirring in the environment is just opinion. That's like a puddle taking credit for its pothole.

Fair point about PiL etc but we were discussing The Sex Pistols. I do like Rise. I'll listen to those two you mention and let you know then.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Still not enough anyway. They released every track as singles did they or are they up there because they were all on the one album? If that's what passes chuck the rest of AFD up there.

You're taking the piss eh?

No, it's not like saying that. GNR fans buying GNR records making GNR successful is cold fact. Claiming the reaction The Sex Pistols got was solely down to their musical power and not simply shit stirring in the environment is just opinion. That's like a puddle taking credit for its pothole.

Fair point about PiL etc but we were discussing The Sex Pistols. I do like Rise. I'll listen to those two you mention and let you know then.

Christ Almighty so if their music causes a certain reaction they don’t get credit for it?!  Thats a new one on me!  yes its a stone cold fact that the music of GnR provoked record sales in the same way Pistols music provoked the attacks, what you're saying is The Pistols don't get their dues because of the cultural climate, which is like saying GnR shouldn't get their dues for the record sales they provoked because rock n roll was a popular genre at the time or some such ridiculousness.

Edited by Len Cnut

Christ Almighty so if their music causes a certain reaction they don’t get credit for it?!  Thats a new one on me!

They don't get all the credit, no. Takes two to tango. You think the artist like a puppeteer decides "This album will sell x amount. This critic and that person will think this of it."?

11 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

They don't get all the credit, no. Takes two to tango. You think the artist like a puppeteer decides "This album will sell x amount. This critic and that person will think this of it."?

:lol:

Possibly the biggest load of bollocks I've heard on this forum and I've heard some crackers around here, The Pistols get credit because they caused what they caused, not foresaw what they would cause, that has nothing to do with it.

Possibly the biggest load of bollocks I've heard on this forum and I've heard some crackers around here, The Pistols get credit because they caused what they caused, not foresaw what they would cause, that has nothing to do with it.

Nah, saying it takes two to tango is spot on. Credit where credit is due of course, no one is taking that away from them, but it was more than just the music, right? 

• GNFNR 1

Just now, Len Cnut said:

You're not listening. I'm saying it takes the artist and the audience. If everyone ignored the fucking thing, as in didn't know it even existed there'd be no reaction of any kind. If you throw a lit match on a dry stack of hay you'll get a different reaction than throwing it in the ocean.

It's like you're saying the ignition of a car drives you 1000miles. It happening is a prerequisite but there's a lot more to it.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Nah, saying it takes two to tango is spot on. Credit where credit is due of course, no one is taking that away from them, but it was more than just the music, right? 

Well yes but isn't that the case with literally everyone?  The music doesn't exist in a vaccum or a bubble, it is created by people, without whom there'd be no fuckin' music.  Sure their arrogance and attitude and foul-mouthed-ness didn't help but that alone did not cause the attacks, which were specifically due to the anti-royalist sentiments of a specific song, as well as interpretations of Anarchy in the UK and what that meant.

20 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

You're not listening. I'm saying it takes the artist and the audience. If everyone ignored the fucking thing, as in didn't know it even existed there'd be no reaction of any kind. If you throw a lit match on a dry stack of hay you'll get a different reaction than throwing it in the ocean.

It's like you're saying the ignition of a car drives you 1000miles. It happening is a prerequisite but there's a lot more to it.

Perhaps I'm just too thick to get what you're saying cuz it still has me at a loss.

Edited by Len Cnut

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Well no but isn't that the case with literally everyone?  The music doesn't exist in a vaccum or a bubble, it is created by people, without whom there'd be no fuckin' music.  Sure their arrogance and attitude and foul-mouthed-ness didn't help but that alone did not cause the attacks, which were specifically due to the anti-royalist sentiments of a specific song, as well as interpretations of Anarchy in the UK and what that meant.

I think what Goat means is that it was also because of the times, the environment and the sentiments that were already going on, you can't solely credit the music for everything that happened.

But you know what, I wasn't even born at the time and I don't know enough about it, so... *slowly walks away*

• GNFNR 1