LA Guns Frontman Says All GN'R Albums Except 'Appetite' Are 'Pretty Average'

I don't know if it's fair to entirely credit Rotten being stabbed and a bunch of stupid old dandies in parliament talking big of execution for treason, to the power of their music. It has more to do with the ingrained madness which was already present - and still is. 

Thats like saying you can't credit GnRs record sales to them cuz it was the fans paying for it, they made the music that sold the records in the same way The Pistols made the music that caused the reaction at hand

But is doing just one thing truly brave or just easy and lazy?

They didn't plan to break up, it just happened that way, it wasn't part of the plan to explode.

Toiling away, putting the work in, developing and changing, like GNR did - that's more worthwhile and more 'punk' to me than resting on laurels.

Rotten then went on to form PiL, who developed and changed more in two albums than Guns did in their entire career.  And thats not counting the rest of their work.  Listen to Metal Box or Flowers of Romance and tell me you don't see/hear a quantum leap in development.

Edited by Len Cnut

Just now, Oldest Goat said:

Estranged. Knockin' On Heaven's Door. Civil War. You Could Be Mine.

Most of what you're saying aren't even hits lol.

1977 "God Save the Queen" 2
"Pretty Vacant" 6
"Holidays in the Sun" 8
1978 "No One Is Innocent"/"My Way" 7
1979 "Something Else"/"Friggin' in the Riggin'" 3
"Silly Thing"/"Who Killed Bambi?" c 6
"C'mon Everybody" 3

All top ten

17 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Still not enough anyway. They released every track as singles did they or are they up there because they were all on the one album? If that's what passes chuck the rest of AFD up there.

You're taking the piss eh?

No, it's not like saying that. GNR fans buying GNR records making GNR successful is cold fact. Claiming the reaction The Sex Pistols got was solely down to their musical power and not simply shit stirring in the environment is just opinion. That's like a puddle taking credit for its pothole.

Fair point about PiL etc but we were discussing The Sex Pistols. I do like Rise. I'll listen to those two you mention and let you know then.

Christ Almighty so if their music causes a certain reaction they don’t get credit for it?!  Thats a new one on me!  yes its a stone cold fact that the music of GnR provoked record sales in the same way Pistols music provoked the attacks, what you're saying is The Pistols don't get their dues because of the cultural climate, which is like saying GnR shouldn't get their dues for the record sales they provoked because rock n roll was a popular genre at the time or some such ridiculousness.

Edited by Len Cnut

11 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

They don't get all the credit, no. Takes two to tango. You think the artist like a puppeteer decides "This album will sell x amount. This critic and that person will think this of it."?

:lol:

Possibly the biggest load of bollocks I've heard on this forum and I've heard some crackers around here, The Pistols get credit because they caused what they caused, not foresaw what they would cause, that has nothing to do with it.

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

:lol:

Possibly the biggest load of bollocks I've heard on this forum and I've heard some crackers around here, The Pistols get credit because they caused what they caused, not foresaw what they would cause, that has nothing to do with it.

Nah, saying it takes two to tango is spot on. Credit where credit is due of course, no one is taking that away from them, but it was more than just the music, right? 

21 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Nah, saying it takes two to tango is spot on. Credit where credit is due of course, no one is taking that away from them, but it was more than just the music, right? 

Well yes but isn't that the case with literally everyone?  The music doesn't exist in a vaccum or a bubble, it is created by people, without whom there'd be no fuckin' music.  Sure their arrogance and attitude and foul-mouthed-ness didn't help but that alone did not cause the attacks, which were specifically due to the anti-royalist sentiments of a specific song, as well as interpretations of Anarchy in the UK and what that meant.

20 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

You're not listening. I'm saying it takes the artist and the audience. If everyone ignored the fucking thing, as in didn't know it even existed there'd be no reaction of any kind. If you throw a lit match on a dry stack of hay you'll get a different reaction than throwing it in the ocean.

It's like you're saying the ignition of a car drives you 1000miles. It happening is a prerequisite but there's a lot more to it.

Perhaps I'm just too thick to get what you're saying cuz it still has me at a loss.

Edited by Len Cnut

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Well no but isn't that the case with literally everyone?  The music doesn't exist in a vaccum or a bubble, it is created by people, without whom there'd be no fuckin' music.  Sure their arrogance and attitude and foul-mouthed-ness didn't help but that alone did not cause the attacks, which were specifically due to the anti-royalist sentiments of a specific song, as well as interpretations of Anarchy in the UK and what that meant.

I think what Goat means is that it was also because of the times, the environment and the sentiments that were already going on, you can't solely credit the music for everything that happened.

But you know what, I wasn't even born at the time and I don't know enough about it, so... *slowly walks away*

10 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I think what Goat means is that it was also because of the times, the environment and the sentiments that were already going on, you can't solely credit the music for everything that happened.

Well of course but thats an incredible level of pedantry, I kinda see now why I couldn't get my head around it because its kind of a given, literally any art that ever got any kind of reaction did so because of the context within which it was concieved and created, is that REALLY grounds for taking away a portion of the credit it is due, is that how this works?  Thats like saying 'well yes the Mona Lisa is a fantastic work of art but lets remember, if there wasn't a planet earth where would the Mona Lisa be?

Just now, Len Cnut said:

Well of course but thats an incredible level of pedantry, I kinda see now why I couldn't get my head around it because its kind of a given, literally any art that ever got any kind of reaction did so because of the context within which it was concieved and created, is that REALLY grounds for taking away a portion of the credit it is due, is that how this works?  Thats like saying 'well yes the Mona Lisa is a fantastic work of art but lets remember, if there wasn't a planet earth where would the Mona Lisa be?

Yeah, but no one is taking away the credit though, at least I don't think anyone is...

You're being defensive because you love The Sex Pistols, who I spitefully attacked because I was defending Guns N' Roses from your attack because I love them.

No I'm wasn't, I REALLY did not know what you were talking about :lol: 

You think I'm still attacking The Sex Pistols, when really all I'm doing is disagreeing with your claim that the reaction they got was all down to them.

I never said it was all down to them, all I did was say they got a reaction and your response to that amounts to 'well if there wasn't a human race, who would there be to react?' which is true, you're right there :lol:

Basically, it's all your fault. I'm right. You're wrong. It's 3AM lol goodnight mate 

Take care fella :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut

15 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Yeah, but no one is taking away the credit though, at least I don't think anyone is...

It makes sense now, he was spitefully attacking The Pistols because he thought I was spitefully attacking GnR, which I wasn't, Christ, I like GnR, I'm on a forum for GnR, I've been perfectly complimentary about them a number of times during the course of this discussion.  For a while there I was really struggling trying to get my head around shit, I thought I was getting thicker or something, if that's at all possible :lol:  There's no spite in my saying a bunch of songs are naff if I think they're naff, its just an appraisal.  Especially not GnR, who I quite like. 

Edited by Len Cnut

You did credit it solely to the power of their music.

I said it was it was 'over pop music, such was the power of The Pistols work' i.e. the power to provoke a reaction.  I don't see anything the least bit wrong with that statement.  Had the comment not been made there would have been nothing to react to.  Seems pretty simple to me.  The music and the sentiment provoked a strong and often violent reaction.  You turning around and saying the music didn't do it, the insanity of society did it is sort of backwards and missing the point, part of the value of the work is that it bought this insanity to light.  Overall you're not wrong in what you are saying except in the part where you feel the need to discredit the art that provoked the reaction to whatever degree.  Otherwise no band or musician should ever get credit for the reaction they provoke because there's always a society out there reacting to the art, its sort of an essential aspect of the whole equation.  Its an absolutely mental distinction to feel the need to make.

British society, parliment, the attackers were all mental so they should get a degree of the credit for the reaction?  Perhaps thats what the music was pointing out...and worked wonders in illustrating.

Edited by Len Cnut

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I meant more that they had moments of brilliance as opposed to entire songs, certain solos, certain sections, certain times when Axl sings and really comes across as powerful.  I'd say One in a Million was brilliant, brilliant vocal take, contentious subject matter, sounds quite sincere, if I don't necessarily agree with the sentiment.  You're Crazy, the slow version is a great vocal take.  You Could Be Mine is pretty brilliant overall.  Appetite as an album is brilliant I'd say.  The SCOM solo is pretty fuckin' brilliant.  SCOM in general.  Used to Love Her is a funny, cheeky, charming little tune.  14 Years I think is very good, in a really subtle kind of way.  I really like the solo in Patience, Patience the song in general.  Civil War, perhaps Axls best lyrics and a great song overall.  Certain aspects of the songwriting in that song were good and Axl puts them across really well.  The more rocking, aggressive, defiant, arrogant songs on Appetite I love for their overall ability to convey attitude.  Since I Don't Have You is a great vocal take.  Mr Brownstone is a great little riff.  Tastes Good, Don't It? is funny and kinda cool in a sub-early Chili Peppers kinda way. 

Yeah, I guess I struggle to cite entire songs that are out and out brilliant.  One in a Million probably tops the table. 

Great explanation :)

I agree 99% with it :lol: