Terminator - Dark Fate

I really, really wanted to like the movie, but it was just so boring and basic. Too much CGI, not enough plot. Too much pointless action, not enough suspence. Linda Hamilton was amazing, though. She carried the movie. She was badass, she was funny. She brought emotion and sadness. Just perfect. Mackenzie Davis was also good and believable. And there were some cool nuggets of interesting ideas and ways to explore the coming of A.I. in modern day and how it already affects our lives, but they just dropped the ball and chose to focus on action.

All in all...meh.

Bummer.

If they ever make a Terminator movie again, they should scale back and focus on the story and horror elements instead of action. Feels like they always try to top T2 and it can't be done, but a simplistic movie à la T1 is doable.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jekylhyde said:

I really, really wanted to like the movie, but it was just so boring and basic. Too much CGI, not enough plot. Too much pointless action, not enough suspence. Linda Hamilton was amazing, though. She carried the movie. She was badass, she was funny. She brought emotion and sadness. Just perfect. Mackenzie Davis was also good and believable. And there were some cool nuggets of interesting ideas and ways to explore the coming of A.I. in modern day and how it already affects our lives, but they just dropped the ball and chose to focus on action.

All in all...meh.

Bummer.

If they ever make a Terminator movie again, they should scale back and focus on the story and horror elements instead of action. Feels like they always try to top T2 and it can't be done, but a simplistic movie à la T1 is doable.

my thoughts exactly

it's also increasingly apparent, that this movie is a flop. seems like not everyone (me included) was on board with the casting

I just wanted this movie to focus on arnie and linda. but they said no for some reason

Edited by action

Y'all should skip Terminator and go see Doctor Sleep when it comes out on Friday.

I happened to catch an advanced screening of it the night before Halloween and I left the theater very pleased. As far as sequels go, there's no question in my mind that Doctor Sleep is much stronger than Terminator.

The movie is a flop at the box office.

Forbes reports that it pulled in a horrific $10.6 million on Friday and tracked a lousy $29 million opening weekend on an inflated budget of $185 million (not including another $100 million in marketing costs). That makes it the lowest box office result in the franchise’s history.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/11/03/terminator-dark-fate-produced-by-james-cameron-directed-by-tim-miller-and-starring-arnold-schwarzenegger-linda-hamilton-natalia-reyes-mackenzie-davis-and-gabriel-luna-flops-with-disasterous-29-million-weekend/

36 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

It flopped, and this franchise has to officially be dead now, right?

At least the GnR in the next Terminator movie rumors can finally end lol. 

the franchise (as in, the lore of the story) was never that important to begin with, with the general public. it always was about arnold,, you not have to look further than the movie posters for T1 and T2. then, you have badass sarah and john, and you've got a classic larger than life. Srew the story, that was never the draw to these series.

I can't count the times I watched the first two movies and I still don't fully grasp what the heck it was all about. theres supposed to be this nuclear war in the future, yawn. "I'll be back", "She's not my mother, Todd" and other classic badass lines: THAT's what the first two movies were all about.

the hardcore fanbase will point to the backstory, and that's fine and all but lets not kid ourselves here. the moment they decided to sidetrack the arnold character (starting with that horrible T3 movie, having sarah died of fucking cancer), is the moment it died.

a terminator movie without arnold, is like alien without the aliens, superman without superman and so on.

it's not rocket science.

Edited by action

My favorite sequel post T2 was Salvation. I really saw the Character Marcus Wright as being a good replacement for Arnold, and I liked to see Christian Bale as John Connor. I think the movie wasn't successful because it lacked of Arnold scenes, but I really liked the part where you see a CGI Arnold fighting John Connor.

The only thing I liked about Genesys was the reboot parts from Terminator, and the time machine part at the beginning. I didn't like to see John Connor as the bad guy, even though they explained what happened, and the guy who played Kyle Reese did an awful job.

Dark Fate has a great start, very heavy with Sarah's disturbing testimonials of Judgement Day, and the death of John Connor. That was the highlight of the movie for me. From there on I think the movie lacks of the heaviness you see on the first movie, T1. Especially, in the war scenes. Also, there's parts where they could have put more dialog. Like that part where Dani convinces her uncle to help to get them across the border. It didn't take long to convince him, it was weird!

I'm hoping they release an extended version of the movie on Bluray, like they did with T2, so there's more detail in those kind of parts. Overall I thought the movie was very strong. Could do without the Carl part, and just having Arnold instead of Grace, but ok....I hate those comedy parts to be honest. They're extremely exaggerated. I really liked the movie though, the action scenes are solid, the bad guy was a good choice, the new tricks are cool. I've watched in 4D which is a great experience as well. It was great! 

The film just lacks a bit of heaviness I think. Like Terminator 1 was almost like a B horror movie. It had really scary believable parts. Like the one where he rips the punk kid's heart in the beginning. It was really dark at moments. I think that element is missing in the new movies. And I know that we live in a different world now, and that they make less money if they make a Rated R movie, but it would have made the movie better.

I still think Salvation was the way to go. That direction was good and they introduced a really interesting new character that they killed in the movie itself to save John Connor. They should have continued that story and maybe have Marcus comeback again, since he seemed like the new line of Terminators, as a bad guy terminator instead. And then you could have had Arnold making a cameo.

Edited by Propaganda

1 hour ago, action said:

totally forgot about this. this is how a sequel should have been done!

all the original actors, badass action and attitude

Totally agree. It’s hard to understand why, with T2 being such a blockbuster there wasn’t a T3 in the early to mid 90s.

i really think Cameron was done with it and thought the story had been told.

5 hours ago, action said:

totally forgot about this. this is how a sequel should have been done!

all the original actors, badass action and attitude

It's fucking cheesy and ridiculous, a lot of random things going on without explanation, this wasn't meant to be canon, is just a fun attraction

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Propaganda said:

My favorite sequel post T2 was Salvation. I really saw the Character Marcus Wright as being a good replacement for Arnold, and I liked to see Christian Bale as John Connor. I think the movie wasn't successful because it lacked of Arnold scenes, but I really liked the part where you see a CGI Arnold fighting John Connor.

The only thing I liked about Genesys was the reboot parts from Terminator, and the time machine part at the beginning. I didn't like to see John Connor as the bad guy, even though they explained what happened, and the guy who played Kyle Reese did an awful job.

Dark Fate has a great start, very heavy with Sarah's disturbing testimonials of Judgement Day, and the death of John Connor. That was the highlight of the movie for me. From there on I think the movie lacks of the heaviness you see on the first movie, T1. Especially, in the war scenes. Also, there's parts where they could have put more dialog. Like that part where Dani convinces her uncle to help to get them across the border. It didn't take long to convince him, it was weird!

I'm hoping they release an extended version of the movie on Bluray, like they did with T2, so there's more detail in those kind of parts. Overall I thought the movie was very strong. Could do without the Carl part, and just having Arnold instead of Grace, but ok....I hate those comedy parts to be honest. They're extremely exaggerated. I really liked the movie though, the action scenes are solid, the bad guy was a good choice, the new tricks are cool. I've watched in 4D which is a great experience as well. It was great! 

The film just lacks a bit of heaviness I think. Like Terminator 1 was almost like a B horror movie. It had really scary believable parts. Like the one where he rips the punk kid's heart in the beginning. It was really dark at moments. I think that element is missing in the new movies. And I know that we live in a different world now, and that they make less money if they make a Rated R movie, but it would have made the movie better.

I still think Salvation was the way to go. That direction was good and they introduced a really interesting new character that they killed in the movie itself to save John Connor. They should have continued that story and maybe have Marcus comeback again, since he seemed like the new line of Terminators, as a bad guy terminator instead. And then you could have had Arnold making a cameo.

With Salvation they were at least trying to do something new and introduce new characters, I agree with that. They lost me when the Arnold T-800 appears and he just throws John Conner around (throwinator!), like seriously you go from a Terminator that immediately goes for kills in T1 to just throwing people lol. 

ghost busters, star wars, terminator, and next: james bond. All plagued by SJW cringe. 

you'd think by now, hollywood would see a trend with their woke efforts being massive flops, but no. bottomless money pits these turds of movies are, and they are just continuing!

17 minutes ago, action said:

ghost busters, star wars, terminator, and next: james bond. All plagued by SJW cringe. 

you'd think by now, hollywood would see a trend with their woke efforts being massive flops, but no. bottomless money pits these turds of movies are, and they are just continuing!

Yeah! And look at this man-eating feminist propaganda mumbo jumbo!!:

If you dont like Star Wars or Terminator, stop whining and watch other movies. Thanks.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, soon said:

Yeah! And look at this man-eating feminist propaganda mumbo jumbo!!:

If you dont like Star Wars or Terminator, stop whining and watch other movies. Thanks.

Star Wars 4-6 and Terminator 1 and 2 actually have good writing, these new movies don't. So no, we will continue to critique the hell out of these new turds!

7 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Star Wars 4-6 and Terminator 1 and 2 actually have good writing, these new movies don't. So no, we will continue to critique the hell out of these new turds!

I didnt post in response to criticisms about the quality of the writing. I posted in direct response to the "SJW" business.

1 hour ago, soon said:

What if I told you "if you don't like my opinion, stop whining"?

See, this works both ways. The difference being, I didn't mean it. You really may whine away, it's ok! ;) we live in a free country where we can criticise ridiculous views / movies.  Which is exactly what I'm doing, and will continue to do

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, soon said:

I didnt post in response to criticisms about the quality of the writing. I posted in direct response to the "SJW" business.

Well to be fair, the "SJW" business is being hamfistedly inserted into this material. It's just cringe and very predictable in not only the message itself, but the way it's told. So that can't be ignored when critiquing these films and shows.

On 11/4/2019 at 10:41 AM, jekylhyde said:

All in all...meh.

Bummer.

Damn I wanted to see it, but now not so sure. Paying over $10 bucks to see a movie, I want to be very sure it's worth it.

It seems most of these action films have so much CGI now. I agree, they should cut back otherwise did the actors just stand in front of a green screen the whole damn time?

2 hours ago, action said:

you'd think by now, hollywood would see a trend with their woke efforts being massive flops

Yeah, I bet The Force Awakens is just crying itself to sleep having only made a paltry $2 billion at the box office and only being the most successful domestic release of all time. :lol: 

7 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Yeah, I bet The Force Awakens is just crying itself to sleep having only made a paltry $2 billion at the box office and only being the most successful domestic release of all time. :lol: 

except that even the disney CEO himself admitted star wars, han solo flopping

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/disney-ceo-bob-iger-star-wars-solo-flop-1202175861/

also, fan reaction to the latest movies has been overwhelmingly negative, so they flopped in that sense too

Edited by action

3 minutes ago, Dazey said:

The Force Awakens was a soft reboot of A New Hope, how were the numbers for Last Jedi? Down 700 million from that, ouch! 

Just now, action said:

except that even the disney CEO himself admitted star wars, han solo flopping

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/disney-ceo-bob-iger-star-wars-solo-flop-1202175861/

And which came after everyone was left with a bad taste in their mouths from the Last Jedi. No doubt that hurt Solo.

2 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

The Force Awakens was a soft reboot of A New Hope, how were the numbers for Last Jedi? Down 700 million from that, ouch! 

And which came after everyone was left with a bad taste in their mouths from the Last Jedi. No doubt that hurt Solo.

I think many people were in denial about just how bad "last jedi" really was, resulting in good attendance for that one.

But then it was lesson learned, and solo flopped hard.

I think it's time for some people to accept the death of some of these franchises: star wars, and now terminator.

all thanks to stupid woke politics.