Jump to content
megaguns1982

Terminator - Dark Fate

Recommended Posts

it really isn't about wether the movie is "good" or "bad".  Something can be good, but still disliked. I can see how the movie can be considered good, but I still dislike it.

Like or dislike, is rarely determined by how "good" something is. Many "good" movies flopped for strange reasons. My reason is: poor casting, SJW message.

We can argue till tomorrow how you like the movie, I don't but at the end of the day, you can't really objectively pinpoint the cause for preference or dislike. So many classic paintings are horrible to watch, but they're still good. Why is it horrible to watch then? that's a very difficult question to answer, and however you view it it's your opinion and that can not be challenged.

the important thing to remember here, is to respect other people's preference  without calling them bullshit for example.

I'll never be calling someone's preference 'bullshit' because I can see why different people have different likes / dislikes. Nothing wrong with that.

Edited by action

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, action said:

We can argue till tomorrow how you like the movie

And you have "argued till tomorrow."

I just woke up and you are still going :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, downzy said:

In any event, just got back from finally seeing the film.

Probably my favourite Terminator movie since T2.  Not a great movie by any stretch, but still enjoyable.  I personally would have preferred a few less scenes from the future. The two sort of twists were unfortunately well-telegraphed ahead of time which made their payoffs a little less exciting or impactful.

But overall it was fun to see what happened after the events of T2 from the perspective or input of James Cameron.  The action sequences were fantastic and I loved how the movie took very little time getting to it.  He may be well past his prime but Arnold does a great job with the limited screen time.  

It's a movie franchise about killer robots from the future.  How is this that important to you?  

Glad I'm not the only one on here who I enjoyed it - I feel like I've been taking crazy pills reading this thread :lol: 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, soon said:

And you have "argued till tomorrow."

I just woke up and you are still going :lol:

haha, touche ;)

I must be boring you people to death. But I'm so gutted, I barely notice. There are just so many ways you can criticise this debacle, so many ways to be disapointed, I could post another day's worth of stupid things they have done to the franchise.

we live in an age, where movie after movie is being utterly destroyed by misguided decisions and someone, sometime is bound to call them out on that. That someone is me I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when a video game lets you create your character I always go for the badass pamela anderson lookalike. every video game could have a pamela lookalike as protagonist and you wouldn't hear me complaining.

I find this notion that some people have of me, that I'm apparently triggered by female leads, very curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, action said:

we live in an age, where movie after movie is being utterly destroyed by misguided decisions and someone, sometime is bound to call them out on that. That someone is me I guess. 

UZeWLcT.gif

:P:lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, action said:

those numbers can't possibly be representative, seeing how the movie flopped. So something else is going on here.

If you went to see the movie, you probably didn't mind the SJW elements which were apparent well before release, which explains the good reviews. Like I said, it's ok if you liked the movie, no problem.

But seeing how the movie flopped, many people did "not" go to see the movie, and naturally they won't post reviews on rotten tomatoes either. You can't "review" something properly if you haven't seen it. Also, why should someone bother to post a review on RT, of a movie they haven't seen?

I think this explains those numbers. "Reality" is different. Talk to people, watch reactions from real people on youtube, whatever. Fact still remains, the movie flopped so that has to be a big clue as to reception of this movie.

But even then I don't want to refer to general reception of the movie too much, make no mistake. "I" don't like the movie, that's all I can say about that. My opinion wouldn't hold more value if many others have the same opinion as me, I'm not that bigoted. Every opinon has equal value.

That goes only for "verified reviews", That's why the score is what it is. See metacritic for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, action said:

it's not an argument, it's a preference.

It's an argument that the latest Terminator is SJW trash.  It's a preference not to like SJW.  

17 hours ago, action said:

One of the most important movies I ever watched.

I guess fair enough, but I really don't see how.  It's a silly premised movie and with sillier premised sequels.  I don't mean any disrespect, but not sure how a movie franchise like the Terminator should be so impactful that subsequent and disappointing sequels become so devastating in your own personal life.  They're movies.  They're intended to be fun distractions to one's life.  To each their own, but I find it odd that any film, let alone these films, become signifiers in ones life.  

17 hours ago, action said:

But not everyone likes the movie

But have you personally seen the movie?  None of your posts have indicated you've actually seen it.  If I had to wager a guess you were put off by a poster that included three women on it and decided this was another attempt by Hollywood to inject progressive attitudes in an established and largely male dominated franchise.  

So again, have you actually seen the film?

17 hours ago, action said:

Where did you get the idea that I'm triggered each time a female takes the lead? 

Because nearly every film from an established previously male-driven franchise that releases a subsequent female-protoganist sequel of late results in you decrying SJW propaganda.

17 hours ago, action said:

terminator 1 is one of my favorite movies ever, and that featured a female lead. I thought I made that  clear?

It has a female lead, but Sarah Connor isn't the only lead.  It's still male driven and dominated film from the moment the action starts.  

17 hours ago, action said:

It's the forced nature that I find issue with, which makes me dislike DF so much.

But every time an established franchise reframes the lead role with female character you claim its SJWism.  

16 hours ago, action said:

You can't "review" something properly if you haven't seen it.

Again, have you seen it?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, action said:

when a video game lets you create your character I always go for the badass pamela anderson lookalike

I find this a strange claim or comment.  You seem to be saying that because you select an overly embellished and highly sexualized female cartoon as your protagonist in a video game, this somehow absolves you from criticisms regarding your issues with female characters in traditionally male dominated franchises.  

Sorry, I don't mean to go too hard at you here, but this logic kind of reminds me of this line from The Office:

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, downzy said:

I find this a strange claim or comment.  You seem to be saying that because you select an overly embellished and highly sexualized female cartoon as your protagonist in a video game, this somehow absolves you from criticisms regarding your issues with female characters in traditionally male dominated franchises.  

Sorry, I don't mean to go too hard at you here, but this logic kind of reminds me of this line from The Office:

 

 

eh.....yeah? 

I countered your argument that I'm triggered by female lead roles, by claiming I make my own female lead roles when allowed to by always creating a pamela anderson lookalike (one of my favorite women).

I also claimed I would not be happy if the next tomb raider game had a man as protagonist.

And now, now that I show I do like female leads, you find issue with a "overly embellished and highly sexualised female cartoon". What is that even supposed to mean? That pamela anderson, by default, is "overly" embellished and highly sexualised? I'm not making her tits bigger than they are in reality if that's what you mean :lol:

I guess I just like women, that's all :lol:

hey downzy, have you ever considered a career at football? With all the goalpost moving you do, you'd be the perfect keeper for real madrid :lol: (please take this comment in the light hearted jokey way it was meant to be)

 

Edited by action

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, downzy said:

Again, have you seen it?  

have you read "my struggle" by hitler?

Has anyone, apart from maybe the odd neo-nazi or the specialist historian?

No, but we all know it's utterly racist.

Word-by mouth marketing, fan backlash and countless youtube videos have made me come to this conclusion. If you search for "dark fate SJW", see the avalanche of videos that will pop up. I have a pretty good idea how SJW this movie is.

but like I said: to each their own. If people can convince me the movie isn't SJW at all, then maybe I'll go see the movie (doesn't change the fact that arnie only gets limited screen time, so that probably won't happen)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, action said:

have you read "my struggle" by hitler?

Has anyone, apart from maybe the odd neo-nazi or the specialist historian?

No, but we all know it's utterly racist.

Word-by mouth marketing, fan backlash and countless youtube videos have made me come to this conclusion. If you search for "dark fate SJW", see the avalanche of videos that will pop up. I have a pretty good idea how SJW this movie is.

but like I said: to each their own. If people can convince me the movie isn't SJW at all, then maybe I'll go see the movie (doesn't change the fact that arnie only gets limited screen time, so that probably won't happen)

So let me get this straight....  You've spent hundreds, if not a thousand words, deriding a movie you haven't seen? 

All to forward this notion that it's pushing a SJW agenda despite not having seen it.  

Right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, action said:

I countered your argument that I'm triggered by female lead roles, by claiming I make my own female lead roles when allowed to by always creating a pamela anderson lookalike (one of my favorite women).

I also claimed I would not be happy if the next tomb raider game had a man as protagonist.

You're claiming that the only place for a female in an entertainment property is when they're an overly sexualized cartoon of women.  At least that's what I'm hearing.  

31 minutes ago, action said:

I guess I just like women, that's all

I didn't say you disliked women, but your attitude towards their place in entertainment properties seems pretty limited to a particular mould or category.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, downzy said:

You're claiming that the only place for a female in an entertainment property is when they're an overly sexualized cartoon of women.  At least that's what I'm hearing.  

I didn't say you disliked women, but your attitude towards their place in entertainment properties seems pretty limited to a particular mould or category.  

 

those are your words, not mine. you're bringing up overly sexualised cartoons, not me.  I'll leave those comments to yourselves.

as for your second accusation, I don't feel bad for having a limited scope of interest but at least you now accept I don't dislike women. I guess that's something. 

11 minutes ago, downzy said:

So let me get this straight....  You've spent hundreds, if not a thousand words, deriding a movie you haven't seen? 

All to forward this notion that it's pushing a SJW agenda despite not having seen it.  

Right. 

I haven't seen the movie, no. Why should I view a movie that people are calling an SJW vehicle, when I'm not interested?

And why can't I criticise the movie then, for doing so?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, action said:

those are your words, not mine. you're bringing up overly sexualised cartoons, not me.  I'll leave those comments to yourselves.

Your counter argument to taking issue with women in lead roles is to reference Pamela Anderson and Lara Croft.  It doesn't take a genius to understand why you take issue with three strong female roles in a traditionally male-driven franchise that don't look like a cartoon barbie doll.

26 minutes ago, action said:

haven't seen the movie, no. Why should I view a movie that people are calling an SJW vehicle, when I'm not interested?

So you're making your mind up based on what other people have to say?  What about the other people in this thread who didn't pick up any SJW vibes?

27 minutes ago, action said:

And why can't I criticise the movie then, for doing so?

You're free to criticize whatever you want.  But why you would criticize a movie or anything solely on the basis of the opinions of others is beyond me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, downzy said:

Your counter argument to taking issue with women in lead roles is to reference Pamela Anderson and Lara Croft.  It doesn't take a genius to understand why you take issue with three strong female roles in a traditionally male-driven franchise that don't look like a cartoon barbie doll.

So you're making your mind up based on what other people have to say?  What about the other people in this thread who didn't pick up any SJW vibes?

You're free to criticize whatever you want.  But why you would criticize a movie or anything solely on the basis of the opinions of others is beyond me.  

lara croft has been desexualised over the course of the series, to the point where she looks like a regular woman. Still, I'm not complaining. Lara croft, being a woman, adds something interesting to the world of action games. And it's not only in video games I like women either, I liked sarah in terminator 1 too and she can hardly be considered a barbie doll.

Even in dark fate, I'm not as much taking issue with ALL of the main cast being women, as the forced SJW politics that are apparent. Forced SJW politics is my problem, not the women.

I'm listening to both sides, and then forming an opinion. If I wasn't interested in hearing the other side, I wouldn't be here since most people on here don't think the movie is all that SJW. I'm reading those comments with great interest, hoping to be convinced by their reasoning but that hasn't happened yet. 

You'll understand, with movie tickets being the price they are, multiplied with three family members (of which one isn't allowed to see the movie due to age resitrictions), that before I watch a movie I want to have some idea if the movie is any good. I do the same with video games: first read reviews, look up playthroughs and if it doesn't convince me I'm not buying the game. 

An "informed purchase", they call that. I'm not a millionaire who can afford buying stuff and then regret it

Edited by action

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, action said:

as the forced SJW politics that are apparent

Where is it apparent?  

As someone who hasn't seen the movie, where are you seeing this?

Again, as someone who has actually seen the movie, SJW politics isn't present or a factor.  It's a robot chasing killing people.  

28 minutes ago, action said:

I'm listening to both sides, and then forming an opinion

Why not go see the movie?   You've probably invested more time talking about it on this forum than the movie's run time?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, downzy said:

Where is it apparent?  

As someone who hasn't seen the movie, where are you seeing this?

Again, as someone who has actually seen the movie, SJW politics isn't present or a factor.  It's a robot chasing killing people.  

Why not go see the movie?   You've probably invested more time talking about it on this forum than the movie's run time?

guess I'm just that guy. I'm weird, but aren't we all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it went from this:

Terminator-poster.jpg

a schwarzenegger action movie featuring terminators from the future (schwarzenegger being the main attraction)

to this:

terminator_-_screengrab_-_h_2018.jpg

a movie about terminators from the future, featuring three female lead characters, schwarzenegger nowhere to be seen.

I appreciate women in movies, but terminator is about schwarzenegger, that's what interested me in the movies in the first damn place. they replaced it with something I didn't ask for, have no place in a goddamn schwarzenegger movie.

if I wanted to view a movie about three women fighting robots from the future, I will. But please do not force them in a schwarzenegger movie where they are categorically out of place.

the forced nature of these SJW politics in THIS movie, is that they could have just easily created a new franchise, using the exact same female actors, and start anew. But to "force" them in the plot, that always revolved around schwarzenegger, is out of place and forced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, action said:

it went from this:

Terminator-poster.jpg

a schwarzenegger action movie featuring terminators from the future (schwarzenegger being the main attraction)

to this:

terminator_-_screengrab_-_h_2018.jpg

a movie about terminators from the future, featuring three female lead characters, schwarzenegger nowhere to be seen.

I appreciate women in movies, but terminator is about schwarzenegger, that's what interested me in the movies in the first damn place. they replaced it with something I didn't ask for, have no place in a goddamn schwarzenegger movie.

if I wanted to view a movie about three women fighting robots from the future, I will. But please do not force them in a schwarzenegger movie where they are categorically out of place.

the forced nature of these SJW politics in THIS movie, is that they could have just easily created a new franchise, using the exact same female actors, and start anew. But to "force" them in the plot, that always revolved around schwarzenegger, is out of place and forced.

Well, if this is the case then it would sound like ultimately your issue is with the nature of capitalism. Newer, younger, actors who can make Terminator 23 long after Arnies dead. Profits for ever. More characters to make action figures out of. A wider audience, given a broader cast. Never ending expansion.

You know what else has an anti capitalist position? The plot of Terminator. Its an anti-capitlasit dystopian franchise.

You know what is woke? Anti-capitalism.

You know who likes woke films, then? You do.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, soon said:

Well, if this is the case then it would sound like ultimately your issue is with the nature of capitalism. Newer, younger, actors who can make Terminator 23 long after Arnies dead. Profits for ever. More characters to make action figures out of. A wider audience, given a broader cast. Never ending expansion.

You know what else has an anti capitalist position? The plot of Terminator. Its an anti-capitlasit dystopian franchise.

You know what is woke? Anti-capitalism.

You know who likes woke films, then? You do.

other actors can make a new schwarzenegger movie (in this case: the terminator), like justin bieber can make a new GNR album

you know what else I find funny? they probably thought "well, gotta produce our newest woke movie under the terminator brand, so it won't flop because litterally nobody is anticipating the next big woke hollywood blockbuster"... well fuck me sideways, the movie flopped anyway. I find that pretty fucking hilarious. So it's not all bad I guess. 

Edited by action

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, action said:

it went from this:

Terminator-poster.jpg

a schwarzenegger action movie featuring terminators from the future (schwarzenegger being the main attraction)

to this:

terminator_-_screengrab_-_h_2018.jpg

a movie about terminators from the future, featuring three female lead characters, schwarzenegger nowhere to be seen.

I appreciate women in movies, but terminator is about schwarzenegger, that's what interested me in the movies in the first damn place. they replaced it with something I didn't ask for, have no place in a goddamn schwarzenegger movie.

if I wanted to view a movie about three women fighting robots from the future, I will. But please do not force them in a schwarzenegger movie where they are categorically out of place.

the forced nature of these SJW politics in THIS movie, is that they could have just easily created a new franchise, using the exact same female actors, and start anew. But to "force" them in the plot, that always revolved around schwarzenegger, is out of place and forced.

So you're writing off this movie because of internet chatter (likely amongst angry white males who break out into hives if the lead role isn't played by a white male) and one promotional picture?

By the way, that's not the film's official poster.  It's one promotional picture.  If you wanted to be fair in your comparison, you would have posted this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5kew9-grfYGUBTprDcw6

So again, i'll ask, other than one marketing picture, how is this film pushing SJW propaganda?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, downzy said:

So you're writing off this movie because of internet chatter (likely amongst angry white males who break out into hives if the lead role isn't played by a white male) and one promotional picture?

By the way, that's not the film's official poster.  It's one promotional picture.  If you wanted to be fair in your comparison, you would have posted this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5kew9-grfYGUBTprDcw6

So again, i'll ask, other than one marketing picture, how is this film pushing SJW propaganda?  

I see terminator as a schwarzenegger movie, so in my opinion this negates the option to have the lead role be played by anyone else.

having someone else take the lead role is the same as having a new GNR album without Axl or Slash. maybe still worthwile on its own, but not GNR. Same with the terminator, which arguably has become synonymous with arnie over the years.

the movie pushes SJW politics, precisely because they replaced the lead role with three females, with arnie having a side-role. it would be forced if it was another male, but it's even more forced when the three replacement characters seemingly don't have any other purpose than to say "see, women can play in action movies too". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, action said:

I see terminator as a schwarzenegger movie, so in my opinion this negates the option to have the lead role be played by anyone else.

having someone else take the lead role is the same as having a new GNR album without Axl or Slash. maybe still worthwile on its own, but not GNR. Same with the terminator, which arguably has become synonymous with arnie over the years.

the movie pushes SJW politics, precisely because they replaced the lead role with three females, with arnie having a side-role. it would be forced if it was another male, but it's even more forced when the three replacement characters seemingly don't have any other purpose than to say "see, women can play in action movies too". 

Man your logic makes zero sense. 
So any attempt to replace Arnold is an attempt to inject a SJW agenda, made worse if the lead protagonist is played by a woman?  That makes zero fucking sense. 

Essentially you have spent hours in this thread pissing on a movie you haven’t seen because women took roles that should have gone to a male senior citizen. 

And i assume that since you’re so principled about your allegiance to non-SJWism in movies and to Arnold that you have never seen Terminator Salvation since Arnold isn’t even in it?  Otherwise you’re being hypocritical by not seeing this film. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, action said:

have you read "my struggle" by hitler?

Has anyone, apart from maybe the odd neo-nazi or the specialist historian?

No, but we all know it's utterly racist.

Word-by mouth marketing, fan backlash and countless youtube videos have made me come to this conclusion. If you search for "dark fate SJW", see the avalanche of videos that will pop up. I have a pretty good idea how SJW this movie is.

but like I said: to each their own. If people can convince me the movie isn't SJW at all, then maybe I'll go see the movie (doesn't change the fact that arnie only gets limited screen time, so that probably won't happen)

Get a torrent, so you don't pay for it. It's that simple. If you somehow end up liking it, then go see it and pay the ticket to support the movie. I did not like it so so I'm not paying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×