Terminator - Dark Fate

15 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

I'm not really a Terminator fan but I've read these last few posts and I'm pretty sure I'm having a brain aneurysm. 😄

It’s funny because most people see the Terminator franchise as nothing more than some big budget action flicks. But the nature of the larger story makes in incredibly complex and puts forward some pretty bizarre metaphysical situations. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

It’s funny because most people see the Terminator franchise as nothing more than some big budget action flicks. But the nature of the larger story makes in incredibly complex and puts forward some pretty bizarre metaphysical situations. 

Yeah, it can be a bit of mind trip if you think about it for too long.  The movie Looper does a good job of contextualizing some of the concepts around time travel.  

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

9 hours ago, soon said:

I cannot account for your tastes. But if you mean 'why do the characters they portray in the movie look different then these photos of the real life actresses?' then its because thats what movies are - they are thespians.

But who knows what you might think if you saw the movie? :P

well, you don't know my taste, but I do know yours since you posted those pictures and you commented "sexy af". So I take it you found those pictures sexy.

it can't be denied that they looked very different in the movie.

So in essence you agree with me (you just don't realise yet).  :P

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, soon said:

Yes I do. Pam Anderson in her Bay Watch bathing suit. You've been very clear about that :P

well that's set then. it's decided who the new terminator should be

"pamela anderson is back! And this time, she's not here to save you"

looking forward to her opening time travel section :drool:

Edited by action

4 minutes ago, action said:

well that's set then. it's decided who the new terminator should be

"pamela anderson is back! And this time, she's not here to save you"

They already made that movie. And they already have the new terminator. Now go google "Barb Wire" with one hand :lol:

bP10u1E.jpg

• Thanks 1

Just now, Powerage5 said:

I was going to say something similar, time travel and AI and the nature of AI (Blade Runner territory).

• GNFNR 1

Just watched it. Fairly silly soft-reboot stuff (of T2) with awful CGI and a haggered looking Arnie in Kindergarten Cop mode. I'd say it certainly has aspects of Woke (all that dialogue about her not being just a breeding machine for another heroic male resistance leader) and there is some anti-Thrumpean stuff during the whole border-Mexican stuff. I wouldn't say that is how the film fails though, simply that it goes from one gormless chase scene to another. 

22 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

all that dialogue about her not being just a breeding machine for another heroic male resistance leader

Yeah, this was a very clumsily handled section of the film.  I realize they wanted some sort of twist, but it was obvious from the get-go.  Sarah's dialogue was so over the top about Dani's son being the next leader that it felt like a bad setup to an obvious reveal.  They should have just revealed Dani was the leader of the resistance from the get-go rather than try to drag it out for effect later on.  

13 minutes ago, downzy said:

Yeah, this was a very clumsily handled section of the film.  I realize they wanted some sort of twist, but it was obvious from the get-go.  Sarah's dialogue was so over the top about Dani's son being the next leader that it felt like a bad setup to an obvious reveal.  They should have just revealed Dani was the leader of the resistance from the get-go rather than try to drag it out for effect later on.  

oh dear.

I'm feeling the anger boiling up again, but I think I've said enough about that.

barb wire (female lead role!) was so much better than this

23 minutes ago, action said:

oh dear.

I'm feeling the anger boiling up again, but I think I've said enough about that.

Calm down.  It's a clumsy plot twist.  It's not some nefarious agenda to make you feel bad about yourself because you're a man.  

Regardless, what I find baffling is how or why you would let this prevent you from enjoying the entire film.  

There are many films that push self-perceived agendas that I don't subscribe to but can still enjoy.  To give you just one example, Ghostbusters's conservative, anti-government ideology is wholly transparent.  Public universities -bad; private enterprise - the solution.  The bad guy is a government employee.  But that still doesn't prevent me from enjoying the film since it's a movie about grown men chasing ghosts.  Just like this is a movie about killer robots from the future.  

I would advise not taking things so seriously.

6 minutes ago, downzy said:

Calm down.  It's a clumsy plot twist.  It's not some nefarious agenda to make you feel bad about yourself because you're a man.  

Regardless, what I find baffling is how or why you would let this prevent you from enjoying the entire film.  

There are many films that push self-perceived agendas that I don't subscribe to but can still enjoy.  To give you just one example, Ghostbusters's conservative, anti-government ideology is wholly transparent.  Public universities -bad; private enterprise - the solution.  The bad guy is a government employee.  But that still doesn't prevent me from enjoying the film since it's a movie about grown men chasing ghosts.  Just like this is a movie about killer robots from the future.  

I would advise not taking things so seriously.

:shrugs:they didn't give arnold enough screentime.

couldn't care less about the woke stuff really. I may have communicated a distorted message here over the last couple of days. See, I've watched plenty of woke stuff in my time, willingly or by ambush. Never minded very much (though I don't see the value of it either). I suspect it was one of the reasons for giving arnold less screentime in this instance, and THAT's when it hits home. The woke stuff becomes the "reason" arnold doesnt get as much action as yesterday. Had the reason been.... I dunno.... to give homeless people with blue hair the lead role, I would be equally enraged (and I would be mistaken for hating homeless people with blue hair).

I don't expect you to understand anything I said though, just hope at least I'm making a tiny bit of sense. ;)

11 minutes ago, action said:

The woke stuff becomes the "reason" arnold doesnt get as much action as yesterday.

Or it could be no one wants to watch a 70 year old carry a two hour movie and there's other elements of the franchise worth exploring.  

1 hour ago, action said:

oh dear.

Barb Wire has a scene where she says "Don't call me babe" and then shoots the man who called her "babe" like 8 times. This song from the soundtrack celebrates that theme. The scene in question is included at the end of the music video.                      

#action_so_woke

:lol:

Edited by soon
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, soon said:

Barb Wire has a scene where she says "Don't call me babe" and then shoots the man who called her "babe" like 8 times. This song from the soundtrack celebrates that theme. The scene in question is included at the end of the music video.                      

#action_so_woke

:lol:

I'm such a feminist, haven't you noticed?

this is one of my favorite women's rights movies. I watch this movie solely for that reason, i'm not lying :lol:

15 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

We've had a Termatorix with robotic boobs. We have had Genesis which couldn't even write its own name it is that confusing a film. Now we have had Arniie as a T-800 called ''Carl'' who is into Drapery and has a family! Please let the franchise die. 

"I know now why you cry, though its something I'll never can" yet he managed to find a woman anyway. Feelings are so overrated, sexy body ftw.

I actually think Rise of the Machines is a slightly better film than Dark Fate (they are both essentially the same film, inferior reprises of T2). Arnie was still (just about) young enough to play the Terminator as he's supposed to be, so there was no ''aging explanation'', body double cgi jobs and/or time travel paradox required. Pity they had to recast Conner and wrote Sarah Conner off with something weak (''yeh, she just died of cancer in Peru''!).  

I would plump for,

T1 5/5

T2 5/5

(Massive gap)

T3 2.5/5

Dark Fate 2/5 

Salvation 1/5

(Massive gap as the following is one of the worst films I have ever seen),

Genesis (and no, I am not deliberately misspelling it) -10/5.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Just watched it. Fairly silly soft-reboot stuff (of T2) with awful CGI and a haggered looking Arnie in Kindergarten Cop mode. I'd say it certainly has aspects of Woke (all that dialogue about her not being just a breeding machine for another heroic male resistance leader) and there is some anti-Thrumpean stuff during the whole border-Mexican stuff. I wouldn't say that is how the film fails though, simply that it goes from one gormless chase scene to another. 

You wanna watch ‘Sorry We Missed You’, its in the cinemas now.

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

I don't go to the cinemas since they were all bulldozed, replaced with multiplexes, and also since they started charging an arm and a leg (and piracy become easier). 

Well go for this one, its  worth it.  They ain't all that expensive y'know, 7 quid a ticket, I'm sure you can swing that.  Support valuable cinema and you might get more of it sunbeam ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I have good memories of Rise of The Machines. I thought it was a successful sequel. It laid the foundations for the future war against Skynet.

The concepts of Salvation were solid but the execution was poor. It's too bad because the studios took the right path when they planned a full-on war trilogy and they couldn't have casted a better John Connor.

Genesys was fucking dumb even how they spelt Genesys was fucking dumb and I have no desire to watch Woke Fate. Skynet took over the franchise, it's over.